Unspoken Cleric Rule

AngryInch - Dreamweaver
AngryInch - Dreamweaver Posts: 29 Arc User
edited November 2009 in Cleric
Okay, I'm a little ticked off, so forgive me if I rant. But I'm seriously curious.

So I was just in a BH51 run. I was one of two clerics, me lvl 65 and the other lvl 72. The other cleric was fast at the healing and always running ahead, and since the tank was a high lvl that I'm familiar with, I assumed that meant I was going to be in a DDer role. He often says he only needs one healer, rest should DD.

But then the other cleric would stop and start DDing without warning me. I was getting frustrated but I kept up. At the very end I whined a bit to a friend and was told "Well generally the higher lvl cleric DDs and the lower lvl heals."

Okay, I've been playing PWI for nearly a year. As a cleric, first on HT, and now on DW servers. Nobody has ever told me that. What ticks me off is that it makes me feel like a total noob, and likely look like one too. So I'm curious...

Has anyone else had this rule sprung upon them, or is this common knowledge amongst clerics?
Post edited by AngryInch - Dreamweaver on

Comments

• Sevas - Heavens Tear
    Sevas - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,132 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Yes, it's true that the one lower in levels should heal and the higher one DD, however, if they were healing first and the tank only needed one cleric then I think you are free to DD. The other cleric was being nub to stop healing in the middle of a battle. Sure, at some point IH will be so ownage that you can stack a few, get off a few attacks, and then pop a few more heals. If the tank was a lower level than the higher leveled cleric, that cleric should stick with healing because, from my experience, they will take agro (if they are built properly). If the tank is barb, and a good one, he shouldn't lose agro to a cleric anyway or reacquire it very quickly. It's almost situational... My cleric is built to be FAC more than FS, so if I don't have to heal on her, great.
  • Paramedic - Dreamweaver
    Paramedic - Dreamweaver Posts: 1,801 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    never heard of it :o

and higher lvl dont need to mean better heal btw
    BUILD EFFICIENCY CALCULATOR: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1129681

AGGRO MECHANICS: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=481682

GAME IS DEAD wiki-article: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=938282
  • FatherTed - Dreamweaver
    FatherTed - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,723 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Agreed - theoretically I'd say you should have been the one healing, but if the higher level cleric started healing instead and the tank only needed one, I'd say you were well within your rights to happily DD your brains out. Unless of course it was a lower level barb - in which case the higher level cleric should be healing, assuming both clerics have maxed heals.

Personally I prefer to sort it out with any other clerics before we start so everyone knows the deal. Communication is key to victory b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks for the sig Ophida :3
  • RezzErection - Harshlands
    RezzErection - Harshlands Posts: 335 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    i hope to find out in 3 more lvls...b:kiss bhb:cute
  • AngryInch - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2009
    Okay, thanks. I'm feeling a little less idiotic. ^^
  • Sevas - Heavens Tear
    edited October 2009
    b:victory Don't let it bother you. Nub stuff happens all the times. Even when you're L100! I have picture proof of that. b:chuckle
    edited October 2009
    Don't let it bother you. Nub stuff happens all the times. Even when you're L100! I have picture proof of that.

Good to know XD! Thanks!
  • Camerlengo - Dreamweaver
    Camerlengo - Dreamweaver Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Yeah, it's kind of a unspoken rule- unless something else has been established prior to beginning the run, but I always check with the other Cleric (if there is one- I seem to be the only Cleric in most of my groups :/) to see who heals and DDs.
    Full power to the Vagiroscope!
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    When I have another cleric, I always ask them whether they'd prefer to heal or DD. Some clerics I know really prefer the attack side, and I'm happy to take either. Unless they pick up healing or DDing immediately.

I was once with a cleric that would heal the tank, debuff the boss, then go back to healing. It threw me off a bit, but I managed...plus if you're healing and it isn't too bad a boss you can get off a whirlwind or two between heals. b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • Flickerfae - Sanctuary
    Flickerfae - Sanctuary Posts: 351 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    I had no idea that was the rule.

Generally, if there are other clerics in the squad, I ask what everyone prefers to be doing, and tell them in return what I'm good at. For example, my attack spells aren't levelled very well, but my buffs and heals are as high as I can afford, so I always prefer to heal.

Also, I always try to pay attention to what other clerics are doing. If the other cleric is spamming Ironheart on the tank, I'll pitch in with a purify, maybe an RB at bosses, or else try to do something else useful like DDing. In the case you described, I probably would have taken over healing... I tend to be a bit control-freakish like that. b:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

-Ignoring my main for alts since early '09
    edited October 2009
    Also, I always try to pay attention to what other clerics are doing. If the other cleric is spamming Ironheart on the tank, I'll pitch in with a purify, maybe an RB at bosses, or else try to do something else useful like DDing. In the case you described, I probably would have taken over healing... I tend to be a bit control-freakish like that.

Yeah, once the other cleric started DDing and healing on and off I decided to just heal to be safe. At the last boss I asked if I should BB so that we wouldn't be doing the same thing.

The situation had annoyed me and finding out afterwards that I was supposed to know that rule in the first place didn't help. But nobody died and the run went smoothly enough that the tank didn't even realise what was going on, so I guess I should pick my battles a little more wisely, huh?
  • AngelOfLies - Heavens Tear
    AngelOfLies - Heavens Tear Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    i had no idea of that rule either, most clerics i know just heal. this one time in a tt 1-2 run, we had a 69 barb tank, and a the cleric was 75 and i was 74; we got to first real boss, and all he did was dd, i said could u plz heal, not exact words ^^, and this was after about 4 sesame. so he says i dont want to waste mana xD i got really pissed off wonder if it was because i was 1 lvl lower -_-
    Avatars: Name-Class-Lvl-Server-Guild-Activeness

AngelOfLies-Cleric-90 Sage-no guild-Not currently Active
    _CatGirl_-Veno-80-No Guild-Not Currently Acitve
    BlindingEdge-Seeker-6x-No Guild-Main
    DrawtheWaves-Sin-5x-No Guild-Active Alt
  • Nelae - Heavens Tear
    Nelae - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    First of yes, its somewhat a "rule", unless said so or if you notice it being different from the start.

Then now on the LOL part, even so in fb51 (taking the barb is also 70+ or higher) you dont need to spam IH.
    The higher cleric, even you could keep up with 2-3IH, debuff boss, attack and back on healing barb. Cause in general that is what you do when spaming IH is not needed.

EDIT:
    In those situation is know to let my tanks HP drop below 40% before i start healing =P
    b:dirty
  • Sevas - Heavens Tear
    edited October 2009
    When you have fail people in your squad you ask for lead and kick them or just "not hear them" when there's a mob hitting them or they need a heal or want ress. I'm generally pretty mean when I let people know they're being really, really nub. One of you would have to BB for Drummer/Soulgatherer anyway. They weren't exactly saving anything... Nub clerics that don't heal the tank worth diddly shouldn't get picks after tanker in drops and should go by level order with DDs.

It's not a "rule" it's more of an understanding, but it should be worked out ahead of time. Honestly, I'd want the higher leveled cleric healing me unless I knew the lower leveled one and their abilities. Then I'd let the clerics establish a pecking order.
  • Nelae - Heavens Tear
    Nelae - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,490 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Higher lv = more dmg on bosses (mostly), that is the reason its a quazi rule or put it like this "rule"....what ever.
    And ppl take 2nd cleric cause of safety, not their fault if they dont need to heal, a pair of extra hands DDing will for sure help the other cleric by finishing it faster.
    b:dirty
  • Blosumm - Heavens Tear
    Blosumm - Heavens Tear Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    are their rules??..to heal /dd..b:sad
    hi from fur tv.b:laugh

Ed my comp is doing wierd b:sad, no***problem, im coming ..Ed my comp is not responding after your fixb:shocked...mmm thats just what i thoughtb:angry
  • Sevas - Heavens Tear
    edited October 2009
    True and false I suppose. It depends on how good they are, both in the usage of their character as well as their skills. If they have half-assed attack skills and maxed out support skills they should support not DD. That's just for TT though. There times when both are needed to heal (like in TT2-#, FB99, and FF). It also depends on the squad. If the tank isn't quite the greatest, it would be safer to have both healing. However, the point was to "rant" at such a lame excuse to DD. I go through just as much, if not more, mana using my attack skills as I do my healing skills. Whatever. I don't have to put up with all of that just yet. When my cleric hits 60 I expect to hear whining.

Maxed:
    Ironheart
    Plumeshot
    Great Cyclone
    + 3 of the 30min Buffs
  • ooosylvonusooo
    ooosylvonusooo Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    I would like to add to this, if there are 2 clerics, and one (the lower lvl one) begins to heal, and the higher lvl begins to dd, isnt it proper to say " hey im gonna bb" to prevent a party wipe?
  • Sabella - Harshlands
    Sabella - Harshlands Posts: 213 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    I would like to add to this, if there are 2 clerics, and one (the lower lvl one) begins to heal, and the higher lvl begins to dd, isnt it proper to say " hey im gonna bb" to prevent a party wipe?
    Yeah I have to agree that a fair warning is a good idea.
  • RezzErection - Harshlands
    RezzErection - Harshlands Posts: 335 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    incase the lower lvl cant heal the tankb:chuckle
  • Dominatiger - Sanctuary
    Dominatiger - Sanctuary Posts: 1,066 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    usually the low level cleric heals...
    Happy Sauce face

ಪ_ಪ
    Manufactured by Konariraiden
  • Skimi - Dreamweaver
    Skimi - Dreamweaver Posts: 333 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    I usually ask the lowest level to heal and RB at bosses so its faster. If lowest cleric can't catch up with other ppl hps then i help heal too so their charms don
    t tick, but once they healed i go back to dding. You can see pretty easy when dd steals agro and stack some heals on him/her before he/she takes to much dmg and dies because of small hp pool. If you stack 2-3 heals on barb/bm before they att mobs then u will have time to dd too and actually at most bosses u can heal, purify, dd, debuff boss at the same time

Before i started to play my own cleric i didn't really care what they doing, they just had to keep everyone healed now that i know what they can do i ask more from them and if they can't do that then they go look for better cleric. You will have only one chance to make whole impression about you, how good or bad you are, so don't miss that chance.
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    I think one reason could be the higher cleric was actually just stacking the ironheart on the barb, then knowing it was safe, switched to DD for a bit. Then switch back healing. I do that sometimes.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Sevas - Heavens Tear
    edited October 2009
    I think one reason could be the higher cleric was actually just stacking the ironheart on the barb, then knowing it was safe, switched to DD for a bit. Then switch back healing. I do that sometimes.

I can do that on my cleric as well, but if they aren't doing that, I will consider it fail on their part.
  • ragem
    ragem Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Lower level cleric heals while higher level attacks or heals as needed

Known that rule for a long time.
  • brantanor
    brantanor Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Tbh, i've never even heard of that "rule" and i'm lvl 65 on cleric.

But then again, i ALWAYS ask who heals/who BB's and who DD's. Usually i stack IB on the tank, then go BB if i'm the higher cleric and barb is lower/equal lvl. If barb is higher, then i stack IB and when safe do DD in between.

I think it's common sense to watch your squad and heal when needed if you're a lower cleric. Even if you're high lvl you should know when to heal/purify and when to DD.

Good arrangements = prevent death.
    edited October 2009

Yeah, normally when the main healer does that I just let them do it and simply watch the parties HP a little more carefully, but there were times when the tanks hp was dropping and the other cleric just stood there or was DDing. Thats why I decided to forget DDing and heal ^^
  • Aadi - Lost City
    Aadi - Lost City Posts: 4,449 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    I just did an HH with a level 75 cleric that made sure before every boss we both knew our roles completely. It was really nice b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "aadi is a forum ninja, always there, skirting thru the shadows... striking with quick posts while you are distracted by your own" -Alexeno(kin)
    "We talk about you because you're fab. b:cute" -Chillum
    "You live for forums. Like seriously."
  • Kott - Sanctuary
    Kott - Sanctuary Posts: 335 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    For some reason I always end up as the squad nurse.... b:cry b:surrender
  • LloydAsplund - Sanctuary
    LloydAsplund - Sanctuary Posts: 3,899 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Never heard of that rule. I like people who go by: "attack when appropriate, heal when needed."
    I was early taught to work as well as play,
    My life has been one long, happy holiday;
    Full of work and full of play-
    I dropped the worry on the way-
    And God was good to me everyday.