Heavy or light veno?

Options
raizen
raizen Posts: 4 Arc User
edited July 2009 in Venomancer
I recently went heavy but I am not sure anymore..I am thinking ahead..like what weapon can i put or what armor.The idea was to get the best weapon and a decent armor on me.But I have problems adding points to attributes.I'm a lvl 51 with 155 magic 75 str 23 dex and 20 vit.So how should i set my attributes for heavy?..what will be the latest armor that I can wear?Is it worth it?Should i go on light armor?
Post edited by raizen on

Comments

• Maddieson - Sanctuary
    Maddieson - Sanctuary Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    I find LA much easier to use then HA, mostly because +1(or more) to str and dex per lvl and +1 vit every other lvl or so then put the rest into mag for your wep.
    It's not my job to shut you down on a suggestion. It's a pleasure, though.
  • Byno - Sanctuary
    Byno - Sanctuary Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    raizen wrote: »
    I recently went heavy but I am not sure anymore..I am thinking ahead..like what weapon can i put or what armor.The idea was to get the best weapon and a decent armor on me.But I have problems adding points to attributes.I'm a lvl 51 with 155 magic 75 str 23 dex and 20 vit.So how should i set my attributes for heavy?..what will be the latest armor that I can wear?Is it worth it?Should i go on light armor?

To be any good, going heavy has to mean going arcane as well; if you do it right, you can wear both heavy and arcane armor your level, and can mix and match to adapt to your situation. If you only use heavy armor, you'll have massive physical defense, but your low hp and your lack of mag defense would gimp you. However, if you put the effort in, heavy/arcane gives you a lot of versatility.

The problem with heavy/arcane is that it takes a lot more effort than other armor choices. You not only have to get two sets of armor, but you need to find accessories that give you a lot of stat bonuses, and base your stats around those bonuses to give you enough to wear the heavy armor and wep of your level.

So basically, heavy/arcane is a good way to go if you have the time and money to put into it. If you don't want to hassle with the armor and stats, then light is a decently balanced and simple route to take, that will serve you well enough in most situations.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • raizen
    edited June 2009
    Options
    So a pure heavy won't be good and I'd have to spend even more money.So if I'd reset to go to light..what attribute should i reset and how much to set them now?I listed my attributes on first post.
  • Ladydeadlock - Heavens Tear
    Ladydeadlock - Heavens Tear Posts: 366 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    You have too much in strength and vit. your stats should be your lvl +4 for dex and strength. Means you have to cut down your strength to 55 and add to dex. You'll probably have to reset your VIT too to have enough points, since LA usually dont put attributes into VIT.
    *Semi retired*
  • Cy_clone - Heavens Tear
    Cy_clone - Heavens Tear Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Question about HA/Arcane veno: Do you wear a mixture of both heavy and arcane at any one time or is it a swap between heavy set and arcane set at any one time?
  • Kittennice - Heavens Tear
    Kittennice - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    To be any good, going heavy has to mean going arcane as well; if you do it right, you can wear both heavy and arcane armor your level, and can mix and match to adapt to your situation. If you only use heavy armor, you'll have massive physical defense, but your low hp and your lack of mag defense would gimp you. However, if you put the effort in, heavy/arcane gives you a lot of versatility.

The problem with heavy/arcane is that it takes a lot more effort than other armor choices. You not only have to get two sets of armor, but you need to find accessories that give you a lot of stat bonuses, and base your stats around those bonuses to give you enough to wear the heavy armor and wep of your level.

So basically, heavy/arcane is a good way to go if you have the time and money to put into it. If you don't want to hassle with the armor and stats, then light is a decently balanced and simple route to take, that will serve you well enough in most situations.

<.< Not necessarily. But oh well, I shall be the onlyb:victory

And real heavy wearers put stuff in vit.
    The VenoX: Heavy Pure Melee (Axe User with a hint of magic) Venomancer and Proud
    Having fun since lv1
    5 more levels baby!
    ^_____^
    {=^.^=} < I'll never give up. Never give in. )

I'm for The Cursed!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=656132
  • Chrysocolla - Harshlands
    Chrysocolla - Harshlands Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    <.< Not necessarily. But oh well, I shall be the only

And real heavy wearers put stuff in vit.
    You wont be able to wear heavy armour+magic wep your lvl if you add vit =/...
    Question about HA/Arcane veno: Do you wear a mixture of both heavy and arcane at any one time or is it a swap between heavy set and arcane set at any one time?
    Tbh most people wont be able to afford to buy, refine, and socket more than 1 set of armour at high levels, plus swapping armour isnt that practical, so they generally ethier just go full heavy or mix.
  • _River - Heavens Tear
    _River - Heavens Tear Posts: 834 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Personally with me, I'm a light armor hybrid. I use arcane but have the dex and str for light armor, but still retain a powerful mag attack.

I couldn't begin to tell you how I statted from level one, but I find its awesome. I won't put down the heavy venos, cause if that's how they like playing their characters, more power to them.

But as I've played an arcane veno and a light armor hybrid, I prefer the light armor above all.
    _Jaysun_'s Wife
    Heaven's Tear--
    Retired
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

For all those that told me Lunar Gold wasn't worth the hassle of farming... but now have the Nirvana versions... I laugh at you. Hypocrites.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    raizen wrote: »
    I'm a lvl 51 with 155 magic 75 str 23 dex and 20 vit.So how should i set my attributes for heavy?..what will be the latest armor that I can wear?Is it worth it?Should i go on light armor?
    For heavy, you want a minimum of (best case):

str = 2 + 2.5*level
    dex = 4 + 0.5*level
    mag = 3*level

Unfortunately that works out to 6 stat points per level, when you only get 5 per level. So you have one of two choices. Get a ton of +stat gear. Total of str + dex + mag bonuses should your level - 3 if I did the math right, level - 5 if you used a restat scroll and set your vit to 3. You can exclude mag on the weapon, and pretty much exclude str and dex on armor. Bonuses on equipment do not help you equip it.

Or you have to aim for lower level armor and/or weapon using the level formulae above. With your current stats, you are limited by your strength to level 29 heavy armor. Maybe look for armor with reduced requirements.

A light or arcane build is highly recommended for leveling. Once you get to 70 you can look into restating to heavy. All the TT armor pieces come at the same level (70, 80, 90, etc). So once you get an outfit that works at 70, it'll be good until you reach 80. I did it at 65, but I'm kinda nuts, and I have a *lot* of coin at my disposal.
  • Isala - Sanctuary
    Isala - Sanctuary Posts: 1,607 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    LA Hybrid here. I tried playing robes... Too squishy for my taste, even in Fox Form... I like hitting things, so LA gives me a nice stat set to work with, and a nice bonus to Crits. Now... an HA Veno would have a lot more power, and a lot more defense, but as has been discussed many, many times, it is VERY gear dependent. Unless you want to put all that effort into getting the perfect gear, I'd honestly just go LA.
  • Cy_clone - Heavens Tear
    Cy_clone - Heavens Tear Posts: 164 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    A question to HA users: do you always swap around armor? Doesnt sound very practical during TW though. I talked to a HA veno who said he/she would try not to do it often. So if you have a mix of HA/Arcane does it really make that much a difference to your HP/phy+mag def as compared to LA?
    edited June 2009
    Options
    You wont be able to wear heavy armour+magic wep your lvl if you add vit =/...

You are mixing the terms together. You are thinking HA/LA combined, a hybrid. Real Heavy means just heavy nothing else. I didn't say magic weapon use :P. Str = Melee weapon. I'm talking about a Melee Heavy build here.

But you might be talking about a heavy fox. However my build and the heavy wearing fox is quite similar. I can't help with the all heavy fox thing though...

My build is equip with axes (more durability that way) than a wand. If I have to heal my pet I switch to barehand or a magical instrument using shortkeys.

It's a very comfortable build for me and I can have whatever pet I want because I don't rely on them to kill things (only to help me kill things^^).
    The VenoX: Heavy Pure Melee (Axe User with a hint of magic) Venomancer and Proud
    Having fun since lv1
    5 more levels baby!
    ^_____^

I'm for The Cursed!
  • MentalEdge - Heavens Tear
    MentalEdge - Heavens Tear Posts: 629 Arc User
    edited June 2009
    Options
    A question to HA users: do you always swap around armor? Doesnt sound very practical during TW though. I talked to a HA veno who said he/she would try not to do it often. So if you have a mix of HA/Arcane does it really make that much a difference to your HP/phy+mag def as compared to LA?

Tbh in tw or pk ganks i mostly stay in HA,stuff normally happens too fast to be switching between and even in full heavy if i'm getting hit by magic i can survive,but when i remember to switch i'm a beast rawr.

I loved light armour when i used it,was nowhere near as bad as most people say it was,but in heavy and arcane mix an match you can get comparable magic defense and a lot more physical...

And sometimes you feel like a god when you hit fox and go kill a mob by yourself and take the same damage a bm takes b:pleased
    Quit 100%...and surprised my forum account wasn't banned...yet
  • raizen
    edited June 2009
    Options
    Still what wold be more important..to get a better heavy armor or a better waepon?whet should i sacrifice more?I mean the least veno weapon req 300 mag and i calculated i could use it and a lvl 70 TT armor at high end...should i sacrifice the weapon and get better gear and if so what gear should i try to go for?
  • _Lucivar_ - Heavens Tear
    _Lucivar_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 135 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    hey Kittennice m thinking of making a heavy melee veno for fun, where should i put my stat points each time, i was thinking 3str 1dex, 1mag and then every second lvl 3str 2vit would this work?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Alt character.
    Originally posted by Hojuken
    b. dislike /= hate. but glad to see you step into the fuss to make random comments about people you don't know/never met. i do believe you're from enrage? figures.
    I'm Enrage now? Since when?
    |=>theempire.ucoz.com<=|
  • Leolf - Heavens Tear
    Leolf - Heavens Tear Posts: 380 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    gah, I did the math for heavy/arcane hybrid once...gotta find it, but light was overall better. I'm light myself, I imagine it's saved my life more than once. I still use up a lot of pots if I send my pet after a mob and take another myself, but light armor makes it an option.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Light is 3 mag, 1 str, 1 dex per level. That's 5 stat points per level so you only have 2 extra points to put into vit in the veno's lifetime.

Heavy hybrid is 3 mag, 2.5 str, 0.5 dex per level. Yes this adds up to 6 per level. b:chuckle That's why it's such an expensive/complicated build.
  • Xipetotekia - Sanctuary
    Xipetotekia - Sanctuary Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    My understanding is that light is easier to level because in order for it to work you only need +1 strength/dex per level and +3 magic, so you don't need to depend on +stat bonuses on your equipment. But heavy needs those plus stat bonuses to wear up to date HA and arcane weapon/robes, which makes it harder to level as HA.
    I would recommend leveling as light armor and then restating in later levels to heavy/robes; that's my plan anyway. I'm playing my first character as a light armor fox until I get to a high enough level to switch over to a heavy armor fox. I'm also contemplating using the insane amount of coin venos could get to experiment with builds instead of getting a herc right off the bat. In particular I may experiment with a human melee veno for a bit. But first I would like to know if when using that build it is possible to still use a current level magic weapon in case I wanna have some fox form fun.
    edited July 2009
    Options
    also i deleted one of my characters and the timers have finished but the character isnt gone? any people know what happens?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Alt character.
    b. dislike /= hate. but glad to see you step into the fuss to make random comments about people you don't know/never met. i do believe you're from enrage? figures.
    |=>theempire.ucoz.com<=|
    edited July 2009
    Options
    also i deleted one of my characters and the timers have finished but the character isnt gone? any people know what happens?

You can change it. You click on the character and it asks you if you want to keep it or not.
    hey Kittennice m thinking of making a heavy melee veno for fun, where should i put my stat points each time, i was thinking 3str 1dex, 1mag and then every second lvl 3str 2vit would this work?

To be honest, I was mixing and matching. I really wasn't putting the same stuff from level to level and I wasn't writing it down much eitherb:surrender. Just enough str and dex for axes and health. Make it like a babr or axe bm. But you do have to put at least some into magic. Currently my mag is 60 and with even barehand I hit crits in the 5ks with magic. I crit everytime in battle. Dex should be high about the same as vit. Yes, you put vit to stay alive. You can try it out and see how it works. ^^

Use the calculator to help if you need it: http://pwcalc.ru/my/

I was basically testing it. One of the reason I wass so successful with this build is because others told me to restat and let my pet tank. Or to roll a barb or bm. Mixing the magic of a veno with a fighter like a bm/barb is very exciting. You don't sit back and watch the action, you're in it.

You do have to lv up your healing pet skill in case it needs help. Which is the beauty of this build also. It's fun because I can be in the action and have any pet I want by my side. I don't have to have a top of the line tank pet. I haz a pikachu >.<

I remember when I went into a TT. When I unstowed my Wilderness Lynux everyone was like "@_@ I've never seen that monster such a high lv before.". XD And that kitty takes the magic monsters so I'm balanced. I use a very low mag wep so I won't take aggro. Though sometimes I do in mag but that's fine since I have high health and I can just smack it with an axe or two. I always take aggro from Kilk but there is a cool way of doing a Switch-out. A cool tactic I created. If I use low lv claws my kitty takes aggro but when I use axes I get aggro. So by switching back and forth it confuses the monster, delaying it's attack. I usually do it on sacrifical mobs. XD
    Having fun since lv1
    5 more levels baby!
    ^_____^

I'm for The Cursed!
  • Thc - Harshlands
    Thc - Harshlands Posts: 214 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    LA > Robe + HA
  • Lailahh - Harshlands
    Lailahh - Harshlands Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Personally with me, I'm a light armor hybrid. I use arcane but have the dex and str for light armor, but still retain a powerful mag attack.

I couldn't begin to tell you how I statted from level one, but I find its awesome. I won't put down the heavy venos, cause if that's how they like playing their characters, more power to them.

But as I've played an arcane veno and a light armor hybrid, I prefer the light armor above all.

so ur saying u dont use LA but ur build to use it?
  • Plicid - Heavens Tear
    Plicid - Heavens Tear Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Heavy Armor +robe switching isnt practicle in TW. Fist off usually not enough time. If you are attacked by a Wiz you attack, you dont sit there and fiddle with stuff. Reaction time is key to victory.

2nd As HA Veno you will probably spend most of your time in Fox Form to maximize the effenciency of your Armor. While in Fox form you can't change equipment. So would you want to half your Pdef for ~5-10 seconds every time you want to make a change?

Most probably wear Arcane Wrists for the channeling or something and the rest Heavy. Or they just put on their best HP gear and hope for the Best. I know as a LA I have a channeling set for TT that includes some arcane but I dont switch durring TW since my LA wrists have more HP better shards, and are more refined.
  • _River - Heavens Tear
    _River - Heavens Tear Posts: 834 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    so ur saying u dont use LA but ur build to use it?

On the contrary. I use light armor mostly. I have only a few arcane armor items which help me when I need the added mag resist.

However, I didn't follow a build is all I'm saying. And I switch back and forth between light armor and arcane armor as the need arises.
    _Jaysun_'s Wife
    Heaven's Tear--
    Retired
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

For all those that told me Lunar Gold wasn't worth the hassle of farming... but now have the Nirvana versions... I laugh at you. Hypocrites.
  • Marian_anna - Heavens Tear
    Marian_anna - Heavens Tear Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    I happen to be a heavy armor heavy weapon veno and I actually started that way from the begining. The only gripe I ever had about it was how hard it was to level but now being level 47 I have to admit it's pretty awsome to be heavy. But hey to each their own I suppose. All I can say is this : Don't let anyone sway you to do something that you'll regret later on such as now turning into a heavy armor or light armor veno...If that makes ANY sense
    edited July 2009
    Options
    thnx Kittenice ye i was thinking of just lvling the heal pet and revive and maybe tame pet, i wanted to use axes as i have a lvl 43 arcane veno and i am so bored of that char. like you said i want to get in the action and shake things up a bit xD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Alt character.
    |=>theempire.ucoz.com<=|
    edited July 2009
    Options
    sorry
    but when i clicked on the character i "deleted" it only has an option to restore it.b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Alt character.
    |=>theempire.ucoz.com<=|
  • Xipetotekia - Sanctuary
    Xipetotekia - Sanctuary Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Kittennice, your build is very interesting. I am guessing that it is played using primarily the two venomancer heals, both based on percentage, the bramble abilities that reflect some physical damage, along with heal pet. Out of all of those abilities only heal pet uses the magic stat for anything. If the site I found is still up to date, max level heal pet will heal for 540 plus 30% of you magic stat. This means that your build will always have a weaker heal pet spell than other builds which try and have high magic.

For a better idea I compared the numbers using a magic of 60 for your build and a magic of 240 based on the 3x level amount of magic for an arcane build and taking 80 as the level.

HAHW: 540 + (60*0.30) = 558
    Arcane : 540 + (240*0.30) = 612

So, the only ability that would really use magic is only marginally weaker than full arcane. Of course the difference would increase once bonuses from shards and equipment come into play but I am guessing it will never reach the point where a HAHW veno would be gimped by it, they might just have to give their pet a little more attention than a arcane veno would. That is very intriguing and has greatly increased my interest in this type of build.

I know that you can't really give a stat guide, Kittennice, but would you mind posting your stats and equipment (with bonus) so that I can play around with some more numbers. I would like to compare damage out put of your build to that of a HA fox because they should also have a substantial amount of strength but they would be getting the percentage bonuses from fox form and me lee mastery.
  • Sigr - Heavens Tear
    Sigr - Heavens Tear Posts: 280 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options

I switch my armor around based on the mob types I'm dealing with. Physical mobs I use my level 6/7 HA set, and when dealing with magic mobs I use my random arcane set.
    Lament of a Hybrid Veno: Where oh where did my spirit go? b:sad

I hate ranged mobs. b:angry

I <3 my cactopod. b:pleased
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2009
    Options
    Anyone notice this in the patch preview?

"Fixed an issue where the Venomancer was unable to change into Fox Form while unarmed"
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.