kowlin

_CatGirl_ - Heavens Tear
_CatGirl_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 67 Arc User
edited September 2010 in Venomancer
hello pwib:victory i was wondering i know my lvl currently is 53, and kowlin is lvl 60, but i was wondering is it worth paying over 1mill of in game coins to buy it? ive always loved the cat, and wolf pets. my current pet is my guardian wolf. i hear that a kowlin is great for lurring becuase of its speed. so is it worth alot of effort (then again not a whole lot for us venos) in grinding to buy, bid, etc.?
Character-Class-Level-Server-Faction-Activeness

_CatGirl_-Veno-81-HT-N/A-Semi-Active
AngelOfLies-Cleric-90Sage-HT-N/A-Semi-Active
BlindingEdge-Seeker-67-HT-N/A-Not active
DrawtheWaves-Sin-60-HT-N/A-Not active
SpiralLight-Mystic-3x-HT-N/A-Main
Post edited by _CatGirl_ - Heavens Tear on

Comments

• Angelle - Heavens Tear
    Angelle - Heavens Tear Posts: 177 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    From what I gather from other people, it is great for luring but it dies much too quickly too often? I dunno.

<333 Kowlin's looks.
    Former Leader of 卓越的 {Transcendent}
    -- DoIl - Venomancer - 6X

;D You can call me Minny.
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    It's pretty easy to tame for yourself. I've only seen 3-8 people at the kowlin spawn I went to (the database lists 3 - dunno if it's correct). Others will have channeling gear, but you'll probably have picked some up too by then. It's level 60 and fast so it takes a little while for pets to reach it and start whittling its hp down to where tame has a good chance of succeeding. So channeling speed doesn't make as much difference as with the level 20 rares. And at 60 you're high enough to use either the 15 sec or 5 sec channeling powder (5 sec is actually probably too fast for the reasons I gave above). So your chances of beating the others are pretty good. Only took me 3 tries, almost got it on my first try, and I only have one channeling item.

It's a poor tank, but great for luring. It has relatively high damage and comes with a good ensemble of damage and support skills - Bash 1, Flesh Ream 4, Pierce 2 (lowers p.def), Howl 1 (lowers m.def). Since I don't want it tanking, I dropped Bash and added Threaten (lowers phys attack). I use it when I'm in groups and someone else is tanking. I just don't like the way it looks - like it got run over by tank treads.
  • Kotecek - Lost City
    Kotecek - Lost City Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    You can wait some lvls and tame elite mob called Steelfang Grimalkin. This have low phys attack, but decent HP and Def(phys&mag are the same), so this wont die so easly and this is great lurer, because of 8.8m/s speed on 71 lvl. b:pleased
    My chars: 97 barb, 87 cleric, 91 veno, 80 archer, 74 Blademaster, 34 Psychic, 30 Assasin, 20 Wizard, 44 Seeker, 20 Mistyc.

^ I have SO many personalities to play them all! b:cute

And YAY for my Phoenix!(on THIS veno ^^) b:victory
  • Daerys - Sanctuary
    Daerys - Sanctuary Posts: 1,022 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    I recently ran a TT with another veno that had a Kowlin and I have to say I wasn't overly impressed with it's pulling ability. Yes, it is very fast. The trouble is that it dies so easily. I think the above suggestion of the Steelfang Grimalkin would probably work just about as well. That's pretty close to the speed of a herc, and I can pull with it and only take one hit most of the time. As long as your pulling pet is fast enough to hit once before dying that's all that matters.
  • Byno - Sanctuary
    Byno - Sanctuary Posts: 155 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    Yes, kowlins definately don't have a lot of hp to back themselves up when pulling. But if you know what you're doing, you can easily pull mobs without your pet getting hit at all. The speed itself comes in handy most when you're pulling mobs that are in large groups, or that are hiding behind a lot of other mobs in the area. The kowlin's ability to run past mobs and get to the target before they aggro is really what makes it a good pull.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Solandri - Heavens Tear
    Solandri - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,843 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    What Byno said. If you do it right, your pulling pet shouldn't even be taking any damage. If you set the Kowlin's default skill to Flesh Ream instead of Bash (which you should do anyway because Flesh Ream 4 does more damage than Bash 1), you'll see a red whirlwind forming around the Kowlin when it starts to attack. If you unsummon it the moment you see this whirlwind, 95% of the time the Flesh Ream will land and your pet will not take any damage.
  • detrimentalist
    detrimentalist Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    kowlin is really good for luring!!!!
  • Kiittyara - Sanctuary
    Kiittyara - Sanctuary Posts: 45 Arc User
    edited April 2009
    yeah i definitely think a kowlin's worth having but if i were you i'd try catching it yourself before paying 1 mil for it. it's been really useful for me for pulling in TTs and stuff, and it does pretty good damage on the bosses in TTs as well.
  • Cuzzy - Lost City
    Cuzzy - Lost City Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    I would just use a crystelline magmitee or get 1 that looks like it in fb59 they are great for tankingb:pleased
  • tweakz
    tweakz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    kowlin is really good for luring!!!!

This has been discussed a lot before. There are many ways that other pets are better.
    Be kind: Help the GMs to depopulate the servers.
  • Alphae - Lost City
    Alphae - Lost City Posts: 1,512 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    The reasons why a knowlin is most CERTAINLY worthwhile are already listed in this thread.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tweakz
    edited August 2009
    The reasons why a knowlin is most CERTAINLY worthwhile are already listed in this thread.

Yep, it's more of guilt by omission. - Same thing the magmite and sawfly preachers do.
  • volst
    volst Posts: 180
    edited August 2009
    I like the Level 94 Glacial Maiden better. 10.0 speed and 2k accuracy. b:chuckle
  • Foxx - Heavens Tear
    Foxx - Heavens Tear Posts: 464 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Kowlin is useless.
    If you want a pulling pet, get a ranged one. Cactus or eldergoth.
  • tweakz
    edited August 2009
    Kowlin is useless.
    If you want a pulling pet, get a ranged one. Cactus or eldergoth.

For straight up luring, yeah the ranged pets are better in multiple ways. I've never had a problem luring with an Armored Bear either which can also apply Threaten when luring.
  • _River - Heavens Tear
    _River - Heavens Tear Posts: 834 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    Nah kowlin ain't useless if you know how to lure properly. You just don't like them Foxx.

My kowlin is amazing, and I wouldn't trade him for anything. I've also done some customizing on his skills to increase survivability if I need it. But for the most part he is my best lurer. and I have several I can use for luring (armored bear being one of them).

But the speed is good. and since the level is low enough (unlike a glacial maiden) its good for the time being for those venos 60+ until they find something that they think is better or something that suits their style a bit better. I agree Kowlin isn't for everyone, but for those of us that use them and love them, they are amazing.
    _Jaysun_'s Wife
    Heaven's Tear--
    Retired
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

For all those that told me Lunar Gold wasn't worth the hassle of farming... but now have the Nirvana versions... I laugh at you. Hypocrites.
  • tweakz
    edited August 2009
    Nah kowlin ain't useless if you know how to lure properly. You just don't like them Foxx.

We could just as well blame you for not knowing how to lure properly with other pets. I wouldn't say a Kowlin is useless, but there are far better pets for luring.
    My kowlin is amazing, and I wouldn't trade him for anything. I've also done some customizing on his skills to increase survivability if I need it.

Sorry you wasted coin on it when imho it comes with it's ideal skills.
    But for the most part he is my best lurer. and I have several I can use for luring (armored bear being one of them).

It would help if you defined what you feel makes it best. Otherwise, this is a useless statement. It's certainly not best at having the least amount of time in aggro radius, it's not the best at always having the easiest path to lure target, it's far from best at surviving hits, and it would be practically useless for debuff luring.
  • Zoe - Heavens Tear
    Zoe - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,814 Arc User
    edited August 2009
    tweakz, you know nothing of venos. Funny how you won't post with your characters avatar. You know everyone will bash you in the game and drive you out of it if you do so you hide like the coward you are.
    Main characters
    Celestial Sage Venomancer Zoe - 100
    Sage Barbarian Malego - 91
  • _River - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2009
    *laughs at tweakz attempts to **** her off*

Anyway, I have already explained why I prefer kowlin. I love its speed and with the skills I have on it, makes it more ideal for me. No I won't tell you what I did to it. But I will only say that I maxed bash ^^

I know how to lure properly with other pets too ;) I just prefer kowlin above else with its speed. I lure debuffing mobs in lunar with it and my kowlin doesn't die. Oh wait... I'm gonna have to post another video aren't I? <.< **** that. I'd rather you all not believe me this time and I'll just keep the satisfaction to myself.

I didn't waste coin on my kowlin, it just made it more amazing to me. Besides you don't use kowlins, so why the heck would you care what I did to it? I shall take your statements with a grain of salt because you like to think you are all amazing and uber powerful with that hidden avatar of yours and also with the "amazing" knowledge you have. If you don't allow others to share their experiences and what suits them best, you are just a closed minded troll and undeserving of being able to voice an opinion.

All suggestions I make come with the experience to back it up. Since you hide behind that ? avatar of yours, there is no reason to believe you have the actual proof to back up any of your statments, thus rendering them inadmissible and useless.
    _Jaysun_'s Wife
    Heaven's Tear--
    Retired
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

For all those that told me Lunar Gold wasn't worth the hassle of farming... but now have the Nirvana versions... I laugh at you. Hypocrites.
  • tweakz
    edited August 2009
    tweakz, you know nothing of venos. Funny how you won't post with your characters avatar. You know everyone will bash you in the game and drive you out of it if you do so you hide like the coward you are.

You like to eat ****. You drink warm pee with it.

My forum name is same as in game name idiot. I'm lvl 87 veno. I don't care for avatar. Go cry.
  • _River - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2009
    tweakz wrote: »
    You like to eat ****. You drink warm pee with it.

And this just shows us how immature you really are
    _Jaysun_'s Wife
    Heaven's Tear--
    Retired
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• tweakz
    edited August 2009
    And this just shows us how immature you really are

Fitting in with the rest of you poopie heads and it's only in resonse to poopie heads so, go cry.

It was an intelligent response to an intelligent insinuation.
  • _River - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2009
    Fitting in with the rest of you. Go cry.

I only cry when there's a situation what warrants it. I have yet to see Zoe or anyone else telling you such immature and absurd remarks. So perhaps you should look in the mirror, hope it doesn't break, and just keep those rude things to yourself where they belong. None of us want to hear them, nor do we welcome them.

LMAO at the edit you made. such immaturity. go back to bed young one, I think you've stayed awake waaaaay too long. your parents are probably worried sick.
    _Jaysun_'s Wife
    Heaven's Tear--
    Retired
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• tweakz
    edited August 2009
    I only cry when there's a situation what warrants it. I have yet to see Zoe or anyone else telling you such immature and absurd remarks. So perhaps you should look in the mirror, hope it doesn't break, and just keep those rude things to yourself where they belong. None of us want to hear them, nor do we welcome them.

LMAO at the edit you made. such immaturity. go back to bed young one, I think you've stayed awake waaaaay too long. your parents are probably worried sick.

Go have mommy make you a dookie sandwitch. Meanwhile lets keep filling thread with such nonsense. idiot.
  • _River - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2009
    Go have mommy make you a dookie sandwitch. Meanwhile lets keep filling thread with such nonsense. idiot.

b:chuckle

Sounds like someone had too much immaturity punch today.

I will keep saying the same information I always do. Its not nonsense, its my play style, don't like it? I don't care. At least I'm not telling people to eat **** or other silly things like that. Heck I'm not even saying immature things to you like that. Well... cept my above comment.

Anyways, the OP was asking about a kowlin, I gave my opinion. If its their play style to have one, then don't tear them apart cause of it ^^

I will say again (getting back on topic) kowlin's are good at level 60 because the speed is greater than most, yes ranged is good too if you prefer that. However, until later levels kowlin is fastest and possibly one of the better lurers. I won't say best because we all have our different choices on that aspect.

And tweakz, please show other players respect. We dont' all have the same style you do, and that should be okay with you. Stop trying to tell others to be just like you. No one wants to be the same as everyone else.
    _Jaysun_'s Wife
    Heaven's Tear--
    Retired
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• tweakz
    edited August 2009
    And tweakz, please show other players respect. We dont' all have the same style you do, and that should be okay with you. Stop trying to tell others to be just like you. No one wants to be the same as everyone else.

Am I the one here making false implications about Kowlins? Am I possibly selling them so I have a conflict of interest? -no, no On the other hand how about you?
  • Alphae - Lost City
    edited August 2009
    Am I the one here making false implications about Kowlins? Am I possibly selling them so I have a conflict of interest? -no, no On the other hand how about you?

Sure you are. You're implicating that they're complete **** and should not even be considered.

In reality, they're one of the better lurers, and while you can do the job with a lot of different pets, the knowlin is one good choice you can make.

Ranged pets are another good choice.

Do try and get over yourself sweetheart.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • tweakz
    edited August 2009
    Do try and get over yourself sweetheart.

Do try and get over ****. There are other foods out there.
  • Alphae - Lost City
    edited August 2009
    Do try and get over ****. There are other foods out there.

Isn't she cute! Let's give her a round of applause folks.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _River - Heavens Tear
    edited August 2009
    Okay, first, who is the 89 veno here tweakz? ME. You are 87. just because your eldergoth is so high and freaking mighty doesn't mean that we ALL have to just run out right now and get one.

IT ALL BOILS DOWN TO PLAYSTYLE. Get it? Got it? GOOD.

I am not selling kowlins on anyone. I am answering the OP's original QUESTION, unlike you, however who continues to be immature about the whole thing and make this thread continuously get off topic.

If you actually paid attention to the OPs question, instead of tearing other's opinions/experiences apart, perhaps you'd be more appreciated by people around here.

No one likes your opinions when you sit there and say "eat ****/drink pee". That's VERY immature.

You asked me why I used kowlins. I told you. Its not my fault you call me a liar. Kowlins can lure with debuffs, yes. I've lured in lunar on shoveals and been able to stow the pet before it died. its not a lie. Its possible just takes quick reactions. Yes my pet has died many times, I don't mind I know it comes with the territory. If it bothered me, I would have gotten a different pet. I love my kowlin.

And for the OPs level, its one of the best lurers for their level. If they want to get a pet with ranged skills, that's up to them. I by no means was trying to sell a kowlin on anyone, was just pointing out why I preferred them. I don't care if you don't like it, people ask opinions and get answers from others who are (hopefully) more experienced. You are welcome to voice a reasonable opinion, but deliberately targetting people and calling them liars is unnecessary and uncalled for. Stop trolling and go back to your little world that you think is so perfect.

Meanwhile, the rest of us will go back to the true perfect world.
    _Jaysun_'s Wife
    Heaven's Tear--
    Retired
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]