why can't venomancers be male and female?

nasgi
nasgi Posts: 2 Arc User
edited September 2008 in Venomancer
why can't the nutamed class be changed from male to female? to be honest this is an awsome game but the only thing that really captured my intrest was the venomancer class. i'm a guy.... why would i wanna play as a chick? i know some people do and i am gonna just to check out the class but it just feels wierd posing as a chick... i feel like a transvestite when i do that on games. and its gonna be kinda confusing since guys will play as female venomancers just cause they like the class. it kinda sucks not knowin who is a guy or not. i mean obviously ya never really know but having the option of a male and female venomancer and barbarian would atleast make it less likely to have as many ingame cross dressers. so... is female and venomancers and male barbarians the only permanant option or is it just still being worked on since we still in closed beta?
Post edited by nasgi on

Comments

• hypnos
    hypnos Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Chinese mythology says that only women could transform into foxes and snakes.
  • senovit
    senovit Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    You wouldn't know who was a guy or girl anyway, even if werefoxes could be male. I always play girl characters even though I'm a guy ;o
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ren
    ren Posts: 662 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Venomancers only exist in dota.

Yao Jing is what it's called in chinese and it's a mainly female term depending how it's used.
    Werefox is an acceptable made-up name to call it, calling it venomancer just makes you seem dim.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Official PWI irc: (mirc command, opens in a new window and won't interfere with any servers you're already on) /server -m irc.deltaanime.net -j #pwint
  • eniac
    eniac Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    nasgi wrote: »
    why can't the nutamed class be changed from male to female? to be honest this is an awsome game but the only thing that really captured my intrest was the venomancer class. i'm a guy.... why would i wanna play as a chick? i know some people do and i am gonna just to check out the class but it just feels wierd posing as a chick... i feel like a transvestite when i do that on games. and its gonna be kinda confusing since guys will play as female venomancers just cause they like the class. it kinda sucks not knowin who is a guy or not. i mean obviously ya never really know but having the option of a male and female venomancer and barbarian would atleast make it less likely to have as many ingame cross dressers. so... is female and venomancers and male barbarians the only permanant option or is it just still being worked on since we still in closed beta?

Alas, this appears to be permanent, since the other regional versions of the game also only allow male werebeasts/barbarians and female werefoxes/venomances. Perfect World's designers still have the outmoded, unenlightened mindset that there are professions better suited to men or women. Sorry, but in order to play the only pet class in the game, which is also the strongest soloing class, and the least dependent on potions/heirograms, you will be forced to play a female. I understand your dismay, since I share it.

Take heart, though. You will not be misrepresenting yourself if you decide to play a venomancer. Everyone knows venomancers and barbarians get no choice of gender, so hopefully they'll make no assumptions about your real-life status. And there are ways to cope with it yourself. Maybe you can get into the mindset that you are *controlling* the character rather than *being* her. Would you not enjoy having a supermodel-gorgeous "foxy" woman at your beck and call? Or maybe you can pretend you're a mighty golem with a pet girl who backs you up with heals and nukes while you're fighting. :)

I nearly refused to play PW with my friends because of this limitation. I still find it quite irksome, but not enough to keep me from enjoying the game. So try it out, and maybe you'll learn to at least tolerate it as I did.

Good luck, and keep complaining. Maybe if we whine enough they'll change it.
  • darkeva
    darkeva Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    eniac wrote: »
    Perfect World's designers still have the outmoded, unenlightened mindset that there are professions better suited to men or women.

Like hypnos was trying to say. Perfect World designers were trying to incorporate Chinese mythology into the game. They probably kept venomancers and barbarians gender locked because not many asians, who were their targeted audience for quite a while, cared whether or not they played a female character(they probably even preferred it, like me). Well.. perhaps this will change in the future because PWI is a direct subsidiary of the parent company but don't get your hopes up..
  • okami
    okami Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    Because WF's are supposed to charm their enemies with devious love. A guy doing that? Awkward. And barbarians are supposed to be vicious tanks. Girl doing that? Awkward. There are people that do that though... But yeah. Mythology.
  • tdreamer
    tdreamer Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited September 2008
    ren wrote: »
    Venomancers only exist in dota.

Yao Jing is what it's called in chinese and it's a mainly female term depending how it's used.
    Werefox is an acceptable made-up name to call it, calling it venomancer just makes you seem dim.

If you want to play a werefox, go play PW-MY. They're called venomancers here, so get over it - it's not going to be changed.

As far as the gender issue goes...I really don't see why this is such a big deal. My only guess is a general lack of maturity for those involved. You are not your character, and vice versa. Though I do find it somewhat amusing that you rarely, if ever, hear people complain about not being able to play female barbarians...