A guide to the Light armor hybrid Venomancer

Options
c453m4573r
c453m4573r Posts: 141 Arc User
edited August 2008 in Venomancer
This may have been provided before. But I would like to share MY experience of the build. This guide will be for the light armor werefox.

2008-04-2020-15-55.jpg

With my build, you will be fighting mobs in mage form and fighting duels in fox form.
Unless you are fighting a melee character. It would be better to use mage form for that.

What is a light armor venomancer made for?

She is basically made for the bit better crit, but the absolute best feature of this build is being able to use both fox and mage forms.

~STATS~
The stat build is simple. When you get from level 1 to level 2 (your first level) bring your INT up by 4. And then from level 2 to 96, go 3 INT and 1 STR/AGI. You will then have enough for AGI and STR for every light armor piece that comes available, and enough INT for every magic sword. And you will have 1 extra stat point for anything you want (although it won't matter). Once you get your stats to INT: 297 STR: 100 and AGI: 100, it would be good to either pump the rest into CON for the HP and extra defense, OR you could pump the rest into AGI for a better dodge and crit rate.

~SKILLS~
As for the skills, you should realize that if you aim to get mage AND fox skills, you won't have enough points to max all the skills. I would recommend only getting the basic mage skills like envenom parasite, ironrock parasite (get those two to high levels), wood element mastery (it's a good idea to max both masteries), and try to max bramble (a sweet buff that reflects damage at your enemy). As for fox skills, you should get all of them but keep at a low or moderate level, since there's not too much difference between the levels of the fox skills.

Or if you want, you could get mostly mage skills and a few fox skills. Whatever form you like using more. The mage form will allow you to stun your enemies at range, giving them poisons and paralysis. The fox form however, will allow you to degrade your enemy's power in many ways with debuffs from close range. Your choice.;) And make sure to get the pets skills. keep heal updated and have ress and tame at 1 or 2. You could have your taming a little higher if you want to tame monsters above your level, but I wouldn't recommend it. Remember: Skills are expensive.

~DEFENSE~
I'll have to be honest with you. Your defense will be kind of lame. Light armor is basically some extra cushion for a character who is not supposed to be hit, like an archer or a ninja blade master. I once experimented with my defense by fighting monsters 5-7 levels high than my level to see how many hits I could take. My results showed that it took melee mobs 5-7 hits to kill me (10-12 hits in fox form) and about 10-13 magic hits to kill me. This shows that you will have great survivability with this build, but you will not be able to tank.
You will have to learn to kite and learn to utilize the Absolute best feature of the Venomancer: the pet. But as a little extra information, changing into fox form raises your physical defense (120% if change skill is maxed).

~PETS~ Pets are the most important thing for a werefox. They will be your basic tank and your best friends. Even if you build a heavy armor battle fox which would enable you to fight well without pet, the pet will still be beneficial to you. EXAMPLE: if you were doing a quest to collect kills, if you had a good pet you could have him take on a different monster of the same mob and collect the kills or items twice as fast. But if you're a tanker, don't try to have you and your pet attack the same monster. Because of the way the game is programmed, even if you attack it first, the monster will immediately will immediately respond to your pet's attack and attack your pet. The best pets to get for yourself will be the Molten Lava Crystal in Stump of Logging (it has a high attack but even higher defense, found at level 17), Petite Sawfly above Bamboo village (Which has a super high attack but will be hard to get since you need to fly to obtain it, found at level 8), and the turtle outside the city you start in (good for fighting in water, found at level 5 [although water pets aren't too important, so you don't really need this one]). The lower level pet you catch, the better stats it will have. The higher level pet you catch, the better skills. But I recommend the lower levels, since you could always buy skills for pet with a skill book

~ATTACK~
With a hybrid light armor fox, your weapons will be staves and mage swords. But I highly recommend mage swords. This hybrid will have over average physical attack and magical attack.

But isn't max @100 STR low for physical attack?

It is in most cases, but although STR does help a good bit with physical attack, it won't be the main factor of your P.atk. INT will. There are significant differences between each rank of magic swords for physical attack. So if you want to keep your above average melee, be sure you keep updating the sword whenever available. Your magic attack will take about 500-700 more than your physical, but you can attack much quicker with melee than you can with magic. I once did another experiment to see how fast I could kill the same mob in each form. And it took 23 seconds in mage form and 23.5 seconds in fox form (provided I was fighting monster 15 levels higher than me) which shows that in damage, they take about the same in a certain amount of time. And a good pet will do a lot of damage, which will help you kill things quickly.

~PVP/DUELING~

PVP is fun with sneaking up, but some times, if you don't know what level they are, it might be dangerous. This build is versatile in both magic and melee so you could do well in battles if you are experienced. Also, this build is good in Castle Seige, if you wanted to know.

As for dueling, It'll be interesting:

If you are fighting conventional BLADEMASTER or BARBARIAN, you should use the kiting method to fight: make your pet attack and continue to run from your enemy. Once you get a good distance away, fire a magic attack. This won't be very doable with a blademaster, since they have the speed running skill which would allow him to catch up and beat you, but in a positive light, you have a running skill as well. The venomancer run skill doesn't run as fast as the blademaster's, but it lasts MUCH longer. Anyway, if he does catch up, you could live a bit longer if you changed into the fox skill and had bramble working. With maxed Bramble array, you'll have much less to worry about with these guys.

As for fighting a CLERIC or WIZARD, you should most likely fight in fox form (your magical defense will stay the same) and use physical attacks to kill them. It would be easier with mage because they're more likely to wear magic robes than Clerics are. But once you get hexamalefic crush (a fox form skill you can obtain at level 59 which causes large amounts of damage to the opponent and constantly burns of mana points) you could render these two classes useless in a fight against you.

Dueling ARCHERS will be interesting and exciting for you. Since you will both have high damage and low defense, either of you could lose within 4 seconds. As an addition, you're both the only classes in the game who can be well trained in physical and magic. Needless to say, they will be your specialty as a hybrid. To show you what I mean, I once fought a level 52 archer at level 36. Using my Molten Lava Crystal, bramble guard, and my fox form skills, I managed to get remove all of her buffs and took over half her HP away, and I had little time to do that since it only took her 3 hits to kill me. :D Other than that, I have beaten many archers.

OTHER VENOMANCERS: I haven't even tried yet. I would expect a negative outcome, but you should still try it.

Anyway, another type while in PVP. You may not be able to use both physical and magical forms at the same time, but it only takes one second to transform. The skill really doesn't consume much mana to use, but when you change into fox form, you'll notice that the fox's max mana point bar value is reduced , so if you changed back, you'd have that much mana, and it would take a while to recharge. To make it clearer, although the fox transform skill improves p.DEF by a TON if it's leveled, but your mana point value decreases. If your transform skill is maxed, your fox form will only have one third of the mage form's mana point bar. So changing back to human form during a fight would be a little risky, since you could easily run out of MP quickly. but the problem could be solved by some pots or a Hiero, so you're ok. Just be careful though.

~OVERALL~

This build was originally meant to be obtained by a restat at higher level, but I wanted to try it early, and I was pleased with the results. :) The higher the level you get to with this build, the better it will be. The venomancer has many great skills, and this build is a good way to utilize most of them. If you decide on using it for your new werefox in the upcoming version, then I hope you enjoy it.
Post edited by c453m4573r on

Comments

• senovit
    senovit Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Bramble guard doesn't raise defense. All it does is cause damage reflection. Maxed fox form doesn't triple your defense, it adds 120% base equipment defense. When put through the multiplier, this might come out to about double defense. Spirit consume is an utterly useless move that consumes part of your own hp to add a few hundred mana back to yourself. I think what you meant there was hexmalefic crush. That skill is actually more useful against warriors/werebeasts with low mana than against mages/clerics who can shrug off one mana burn and still have a lot of mana left over.

I'm also surprised that you can write a PvP guide against different classes without a single mention of intersoul switch, by far the godliest skill in the game. :S
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • faruxue
    faruxue Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Spirit consume is a pve skill where you use it with life depriver(actually useful skill) to save pots when against mobs.
    Light armor wf dont use patks -_-
    your physical damage is very low compared to heavy users, and even heavy users with 2xx STR deal low damage because foxform attacks are just so gimp.
    ULTIMATE TOPIC:
    See 3 RQ get owned by 1 WB
    copy and paste onto your web link
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=33421
  • c453m4573r
    edited August 2008
    Options
    senovit wrote: »
    Bramble guard doesn't raise defense. All it does is cause damage reflection. Maxed fox form doesn't triple your defense, it adds 120% base equipment defense. When put through the multiplier, this might come out to about double defense. Spirit consume is an utterly useless move that consumes part of your own hp to add a few hundred mana back to yourself. I think what you meant there was hexmalefic crush. That skill is actually more useful against warriors/werebeasts with low mana than against mages/clerics who can shrug off one mana burn and still have a lot of mana left over.

I'm also surprised that you can write a PvP guide against different classes without a single mention of intersoul switch, by far the godliest skill in the game. :S

Oh sorry. I did mean hexamalefic crush.
  • senovit
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I don't see why you'd spend 10-20% hp just to recover 500 mana. Use a mana pot. Only use I can see for this skill is when you need to force a hiero break =|
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ark
    ark Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    When you're running away, you can recover your health quite well with the hp/mp switch.
    As a Guild,

Live as One, fight as One, win as One.
    Strength in Unity,
    Order through Chaos,
    Victory united.
  • c453m4573r
    edited August 2008
    Options
    ark wrote: »
    When you're running away, you can recover your health quite well with the hp/mp switch.

Alright. I never used intersoul that much. So I didn't really get to know it's greatness.
  • c453m4573r
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I don't see why you'd spend 10-20% hp just to recover 500 mana. Use a mana pot. Only use I can see for this skill is when you need to force a hiero break =|

I meant hexe..
  • senovit
    edited August 2008
    Options
    c453m4573r wrote: »
    What? Intersoul?

No, spirit consume. Intersoul is godly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • c453m4573r
    edited August 2008
    Options
    No, spirit consume. Intersoul is godly.

I meant hex, dammit.
  • c453m4573r
    edited August 2008
    Options
    ANd about the bramble defense thing. I didn't remember it didn't give defense. I haven't played in a long time.
  • c453m4573r
    edited August 2008
    Options
    And about the bramble defense thing. I didn't remember it didn't give defense. I haven't played in a long time.

Aw, wait Senovit. I remember why I thought bramble gave defense. Because bramble array reduces the physical damage taken by 75%. So technically, it doesn't raise defense, but it's almost like it does.
  • c453m4573r
    edited August 2008
    Options
    faruxue wrote: »
    Spirit consume is a pve skill where you use it with life depriver(actually useful skill) to save pots when against mobs.
    Light armor wf dont use patks -_-
    your physical damage is very low compared to heavy users, and even heavy users with 2xx STR deal low damage because foxform attacks are just so gimp.

I meant hexe, ok? Why must everyone be so angry at me just because I got a skill name wrong? Grow up!

Light armor WF actually were meant to use Patks and Matks. Well, at least, that's what the original idea of this build confirmed. In MY EN, I knew a WF at about level 84 with a hybrid like this. She knew a lot more than I did about it, with the intersoul switch and things, but the overall idea was about the same. Even those in my guild confirmed that hybrid could use both forms.

Actually, my physical damage is not low compared to heavy build. You see, it's not the foxform debuffs that make the heavy build bad. It's the low level weapon. You'd be surprised at how much more attack a good weapon can give you than 200 STR can.
    ark wrote: »

Oh yes. I forgot about that skill as well. That made a good heal when I ran out of HP potions. As I said before, I haven't played for a while.
  • hypnos
    hypnos Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Aw, wait Senovit. I remember why I thought bramble gave defense. Because bramble array reduces the physical damage taken by 75%. So technically, it doesn't raise defense, but it's almost like it does.

Bramble array requires 2 fury points and lasts 15 secs. Bramble guard reflects 60% of the damage, but it won't be reduced.
  • hypnos
    hypnos Posts: 97 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I meant hexe, ok? Why must everyone be so angry at me just because I got a skill name wrong? Grow up!

Light armor WF actually were meant to use Patks and Matks. Well, at least, that's what the original idea of this build confirmed. In MY EN, I knew a WF at about level 84 with a hybrid like this. She knew a lot more than I did about it, with the intersoul switch and things, but the overall idea was about the same. Even those in my guild confirmed that hybrid could use both forms.

Actually, my physical damage is not low compared to heavy build. You see, it's not the foxform debuffs that make the heavy build bad. It's the low level weapon. You'd be surprised at how much more attack a good weapon can give you than 200 STR can.

Oh yes. I forgot about that skill as well. That made a good heal when I ran out of HP potions. As I said before, I haven't played for a while.

Light armor WFs should go fox form, use banish, go back to human for, attack, attack, intersoul, attack, attack. Intersoul is a must against archers. Also, if you want to be good in PvP, you must have maxed ripping bite with your pets, it's bugged atm, and deals a great amount of damage.
  • c453m4573r
    edited August 2008
    Options
    hypnos wrote: »
    Light armor WFs should go fox form, use banish, go back to human for, attack, attack, intersoul, attack, attack. Intersoul is a must against archers. Also, if you want to be good in PvP, you must have maxed ripping bite with your pets, it's bugged atm, and deals a great amount of damage.

Damn. I wish I'd known earlier how great intersoul is. I probably could've beaten that level 52 Archer if I had known. Hmm. Do you think they could have fixed that bug in this version though?
  • senovit
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Doubtful. If it gets fixed, it'll get fixed in all versions at once.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]