[IMPORTANT][PSA] PWI Update from the Office (1/19/2018)

Options
kalystconquerer#0876
kalystconquerer#0876 Posts: 1,421 Perfect World Employee
Hello PWI players!

If you are a Swordsman player or have looked at their forums, you might have seen an announcement regarding restructuring that occurred recently.

On Tuesday, January 16th, we had restructuring that impacted a few individuals at the company. As a result, we have unfortunately lost Surtr and another employee who was a part of the team that deals with some of these games. Surtr was around for a very long time and used to be active on the forums a long time ago.

So what does this mean for PWI going forward?
This does not mean PWI is loosing support - I, with the help of the remaining team (including assistance from Sunny), will continue to work on the game. On the QA side of things, we still have two full teams that will continue to work on the game. For the upcoming Wonderland expansion, this will have no impact on the release date.

Alot of the things I mentioned in the other threads game systems wise will be continued to be worked on and receiving feedback from the devs on. Because they will be off for Spring Festival soon, the typical monthly discussions I've been having will be putt on hold until they come back.

We hope to have more improvements and more exciting events for everyone in the future!
Tagged:

Comments

• fyresong
    fyresong Posts: 11 Arc User
    Options
    You let Sutr go? Wasn't he the driving force behind Quality Control? Wasn't he also lead on all of the patch updates? I hope you guys had him training someone and didn't just leave a gaping hole in the whole 'keep the game running' process.

I understand restructuring, every company does it, but not usually in a way that would negatively impact customers.
    I have my fingers crossed that proper analysis was done before you cut those employees, otherwise things are going to get very interesting. LOL.
  • kalystconquerer#0876
    Options
    @fyresong He did manage the two teams we had before the let go. However, we have another person who has take up that mantle and he has an extensive background in all levels of game development, not just QA. I do ask him from time to time why he decided to be in QA since his resume clearly isn't lacking, but he loves the gaming industry so I don't press him on it. I'm working with him currently to get him up to speed on the processes PWI has on the back end.

I used to QA for the game as well, so anything I need to pass on process-wise I'll be able to do. Before Surtr left, he also had a whole catalog of stuff for the game, all its systems etc. and he and I have added to that database over this past year or so.

For patch notes and updates, that will be something I'll be taking over. There will be people who will look over them and verify all the contents (That's what QA and our partners in CN are for) and I also spot check everything as well.
  • wettstyle
    wettstyle Posts: 236 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    Options
    Well, Good luck SUTR on your journey in life.. Hope your journey finds you Joy , and tranquility. Thank's for all your help over the years.
  • greenfire312
    greenfire312 Posts: 269 Arc User
    Options
    Dang. End of an era, I guess.

Wasn't he here since PWI's launch, or close to it? Kinda makes me wonder, is there anyone at PWE left from that era now?
    Mains: Miugre / LigerKing
    Etherblade server
  • celtthunder
    celtthunder Posts: 53 Arc User
    Options
    So, Surtr was making too much money (comparatively speaking)? I hope he finds something better.

What this game REALLY needs is a GM on each server who actually PLAYS the game, and not with OP gear, but having to work their way through from lv. 1 like we did in the old days. Only then will you truly understand what we're up against, not the least of which is the out of control economy.
  • glay4fun
    glay4fun Posts: 87 Arc User
    Options
    ^ 100% support that
  • greenfire312
    Options
    What this game REALLY needs is a GM on each server who actually PLAYS the game, and not with OP gear, but having to work their way through from lv. 1 like we did in the old days. Only then will you truly understand what we're up against, not the least of which is the out of control economy.
    For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure Kalyst actually plays at least one non-GM character in PWI. So that's a start.

Economy-wise, if we get a reliable endgame coin farming method to replace JoJ and we keep any new coinsinks to a minimum for F2P players, I'll be happy (ish).
    Etherblade server
  • keihan007#7641
    keihan007#7641 Posts: 1,190 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    Options
    For what it's worth, I'm pretty sure Kalyst actually plays at least one non-GM character in PWI. So that's a start.

Economy-wise, if we get a reliable endgame coin farming method to replace JoJ and we keep any new coinsinks to a minimum for F2P players, I'll be happy (ish).

Kalyst plays, played before becoming a staff member, and she used to be involved with TWs and stuff like that, granted thats ages ago. I think fair bit of ppl know her history in this game but there is sorta non spoken agreement on not giving it away - suffice to say she has experienced the game from low/non casher perspective, even if game has then changed a lot.

Sadly while she tries, she clearly has very little say in the end, other ppl make the calls and no matter how informed she would be, it just doesnt matter if ppl in charge wont listen to her.

Ps. This company cracks me up, Surtr who tolerated the **** poor management likely got let go for having too high salary due staying with them for years, lol. I have a strong feeling we might experience extremely "fun" launch while PWE tries to work around not having somebody as experienced as Surtr pulling the wagon.
    BlackList vs Frenzied 3/17

https://youtu.be/RkkWkigYd3k
  • paralleogram
    paralleogram Posts: 596 Arc User
    Options
    saxroll wrote: »

Ps. This company cracks me up, Surtr who tolerated the **** poor management likely got let go for having too high salary due staying with them for years, lol. I have a strong feeling we might experience extremely "fun" launch while PWE tries to work around not having somebody as experienced as Surtr pulling the wagon.

IMO "Restructuring" is never a good sign. Make due with less... considering the little support we had prior.
    Just look at where PWI ranks on their games page.... not even on the 1st page anymore (hasn't been 1st page for awhile).
    www.arcgames.com/en/games/all-games/

As for the launch... well it's usually a ****-show. SSDD launch or no launch there are tons of bugs and abuses that are ignored. Why change now?​​
    Here we go again....
  • greenfire312
    Options
    saxroll wrote: »
    Sadly while she tries, she clearly has very little say in the end, other ppl make the calls and no matter how informed she would be, it just doesnt matter if ppl in charge wont listen to her.
    Given that some former CMs have more or less refused to say anything at all, I'll take Kalyst any day. It's not like we haven't known the CM position's considerable limitations since the days of Spoons. The individual's willingness to do whatever they can for us within those limitations (which, let's be honest, isn't as much a part of the job as they want you to believe it is) has always separated the good CMs from the bad ones.

And as we know, communicating with the devs has been as much an obstacle (if not more) than the PWE staff. That's why threads like this one are so valuable - they elaborate on Kalyst's limitations, but still demonstrate that she's trying to bring some of our ideas to the table (and, evidently, having some success).
    Etherblade server
  • kalystconquerer#0876
    Options
    I wont speak on salary or benefits, but that's definitely NOT the reason he was let go (The "he was getting paid too much" speculation). The kinds of decisions that come into play with this are above me, and only a select few people are privy to those conversations.

While Surtr was a main face here for QA, there is definitely teams who were working on this expansion. There will always be issues that come through, weather know bugs or some that crop up on live that can't be experienced in a test environment. Sometimes, these are issues that they can't reproduce. Sometimes, there are issues that they say they can't or wont be able to fix, for one reason or another. And sometimes, they fix something that wasn't even on our radar or thought to be unable to be fixed.

@celtthunder I worked my way up from farmable gears (Nirvy to G16) and then started my Rank 9 path. I'm not an OP toon by any means, even though I was in a variety of top TW factions in the past. I like wielding GM swords on live on a GM character for fun and for events, but that is not my default character I play on. I was f2p for a good majority of my time here, but f2p from the 2009 era.

@paralleogram Eh, I don't feel too fussed about the rankings. As far as the CN titles go, PWI is still number 1. FW has made decent gains with the new Russian server, so that's something to mention. :)
  • laiwaisan
    laiwaisan Posts: 1,123 Arc User
    Options
    the way this update is going might be more lay offs wc is geting pounded by an upriseing lot of hateing base wise unemployment ? 3 months from now
  • jadeorly#4049
    jadeorly#4049 Posts: 1 New User
    Options
    > @kalystconquerer#0876 said:
    > Hello PWI players!
    >
    > If you are a Swordsman player or have looked at their forums, you might have seen an announcement regarding restructuring that occurred recently.
    >
    > On Tuesday, January 16th, we had restructuring that impacted a few individuals at the company. As a result, we have unfortunately lost Surtr and another employee who was a part of the team that deals with some of these games. Surtr was around for a very long time and used to be active on the forums a long time ago.
    >
    > So what does this mean for PWI going forward?
    > This does not mean PWI is loosing support - I, with the help of the remaining team (including assistance from Sunny), will continue to work on the game. On the QA side of things, we still have two full teams that will continue to work on the game. For the upcoming Wonderland expansion, this will have no impact on the release date.
    >
    > Alot of the things I mentioned in the other threads game systems wise will be continued to be worked on and receiving feedback from the devs on. Because they will be off for Spring Festival soon, the typical monthly discussions I've been having will be putt on hold until they come back.
    >
    > We hope to have more improvements and more exciting events for everyone in the future!

"the ne update is so laggy and too long to update....."