Block Ip Address - Improvement on Black List

This could be an added feature to the block area or just a replacement. A lot of people have various alts and adding each one to the block list fills it up very fast. This ip block method would essentialy collect all the alts that the player is using and add them to the block list in one click.

Comments

• selvani#4528
    selvani#4528 Posts: 7 Arc User
    Problem with that is not everyone has a static IP so you'll have to keep re-adding the same person to that list, and some one living in the same area on the same ISP would wind up getting blocked even if you didn't want them blocked.
  • phantomforce#4598
    phantomforce#4598 Posts: 397 Community Moderator
    Most ISP's will keep giving you the same IP unless something changes like you get a new modem. So even without having a static IP, it could possibly be effective. IP could be updated with new IP when those characters log in again also.

This would require a lot of additional work from China though so I dont think we will see it.​​
  • heerohex#3018
    heerohex#3018 Posts: 4,798 Community Moderator
    You would risk blocking people behind the same router as most use NAT routing.

Also yer most ISPs use static IP but its easy enough to change your IP. So with out a update system would prob not be worth it. This is also a problem with Banning IPs but same thing.

Interesting Idea tho.
  • selvani#4528
    selvani#4528 Posts: 7 Arc User
    None of the 3 ISPs I've been with have been that way. Usually had a different IP address in the same subnet every day or two.

As for most ISPs using static IPs, every ISP I've looked into in my area charges extra for a static IP, and some won't give one to residential connections even if you are willing to pay for it.
  • werewolves#6809
    werewolves#6809 Posts: 137 Arc User
    Was a concept that thought might be intresting as a bonus feature. There would be issues like people that share the same pc or in the same network, but for this I'm more thinking about the ip ban block system being imprevmented in the form of an additional blacklist feature.

Mostly came up with this on the fly when was talking to someone on wc after a series of people had been spamming wc with stuff.

Maybe if a list was collected of the names that get added to each ip block and exceptions could be put in once you removed an individual. Also if the ip was unlisted all on that list would also be off the blackllst.