Optimization for UHD/4K (UI) planned?

jsxshadow
jsxshadow Posts: 1,414 Arc User
Hi folks,

I don't know if that has been asked before (search yields no results whatsoever) but I really would like to know if there are any optimizations planned from PWE @kalystconquerer#0876 in terms of the UI-scaling on higher resolutions (1440p+) since PWI is nearly unplayable on a 27" UHD monitor. Even QHD is a pain...

I also don't understand why we don't have an option to resize the UI. I wouldnt even mind if the icons get pixel'ed up..as long as they are visible and decently click-able.

If you can adjust the UI size in any .ini-file then please let me know if thats against the ToS or if there is any other solution. Cheers!

Comments

• sylenthunder
    sylenthunder Posts: 3,061 Community Moderator
    Because the game engine is circa 2004. Wide-screen wasn't even common. Your high-end video card had 64MB RAM on it.

If they ever do a complete re-design on the game, maybe. Personally, there is no real point to 4k resolutions for the average MMO. As the game sits currently, scaling it any larger than 1080 is a complete waste.

I have not found a way through editing the .ini files to do this. I would imagine it would have to be done in elementclient.exe, and I haven't bothered to play with editing that since they introduced the new races. In the suggestion forum somehwere I show some examples of how poorly the UI scales. I may try to dig that up in a few and add it to this post.

Don't get me wrong. I agree that it needs to happen. We just have more important things that need to happen first.
    582c1776c46eef7b527939a98b9d95a5.png

Support Email: customerservice@perfectworld.com
    ​​
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • jsxshadow
    jsxshadow Posts: 1,414 Arc User
    Because the game engine is circa 2004. Wide-screen wasn't even common. Your high-end video card had 64MB RAM on it.

If they ever do a complete re-design on the game, maybe. Personally, there is no real point to 4k resolutions for the average MMO. As the game sits currently, scaling it any larger than 1080 is a complete waste.

I have not found a way through editing the .ini files to do this. I would imagine it would have to be done in elementclient.exe, and I haven't bothered to play with editing that since they introduced the new races. In the suggestion forum somehwere I show some examples of how poorly the UI scales. I may try to dig that up in a few and add it to this post.

Don't get me wrong. I agree that it needs to happen. We just have more important things that need to happen first.

I gotta say tho, PWI doesnt look bad in 4k. However, if you play it in FHD on a 4k Monitor..it looks like garb ._.

People that only have a 4k screen couldnt play the game at all (in a decent fashion). 4k is around since 2012 pretty much and it should be easy for PWCN to rescale the UI..I mean do chinese palyers not have high-end hardware at all? xD
  • sylenthunder
    From what I've been finding, it's more common for people to have hardware that is at least 5 years old. Or they are playing on those silly tablets with a max resolution that is 1366×768.

I think most people that spend the money on high-end rigs, are playing high-end games instead of PW. normal-49.gif​​

​​
  • sylenthunder
    Found it....
    Ok, so a month later.....
    Note: clicking on the image "should" open it in a new tab, assuming Vanilla doesn't **** it up.

1920x1080
    t38dI4A.png

2715x1527 DSR 1.5x (What I'd like to play on.)
    7uv47TW.jpg

4096x2304 4k HD (For some reason though, the client took the screenshot at 3840x2160. Notice how it also fails to render the beam in the center of the city.
    TFJ7BAB.jpg

3840x1080 Surround on two monitors. I really wish I had a third because this was impressive. I was a bit surprised that it extended the FOV as much as it did.
    G58I6NY.jpg

Sadly, my TV has now decided it doesn't like the HDMI from the PC, and DVI-to-HDMI didn't look any different than the HDMI resolution on the PC. (Which is odd, because last time I tested this, I used the DVI-to-HDMI cable because the PC at the time didn't have an HDMI port. Not really sure what's going on there atm.)

Updated post to fix broken image links.​​

​​