Rules clarification?

Options
mystuffies
mystuffies Posts: 31 Arc User
In light of my previous post that got rudely closed (because someone didn't like it apparently *cough*) before I got an actual reply from the GM, I have to make another one *sigh* in hopes that THIS time someone (A GM) will clarify the rules of the rooster raffle and upcoming similar raffles to avoid confusion, misunderstandings and rants.

If possible I'd like to know if the number of raffle tickets does in fact increase your chances of winning ? Also if it doesn't really increase your chances then why are players being deceived to partake in events and purchase boutique items under false allegations that it will help their chances of winning anything? @kalystconquerer#0876

Comments

• sylenthunder
    sylenthunder Posts: 3,061 Community Moderator
    Options
    Do you not understand the basics of a raffle?

The other discussion was closed because it was toxic and inflammatory.
    582c1776c46eef7b527939a98b9d95a5.png

Support Email: customerservice@perfectworld.com
    ​​
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • scruncy
    scruncy Posts: 458 Arc User
    Options
    There is a raffle. 100 tickets are sold for 1USD each.
    Person A buys 99 tickets to increase his chances
    Person B buys 1 ticket for fun
    The day of the raffle comes and against all odds the number of the ticket of person B is drawn.

Got it?
  • bloodedone87
    bloodedone87 Posts: 1,883 Arc User
    Options
    What I do not get it is how that person won with tickets that were still in his mailbox.
    giphy.gif

• rieihdius
    rieihdius Posts: 468 Arc User
    Options
    In fact from my point of view is nice that some no name random alt win something for once, it show that it was really random.
    I did not won anything with 400 + tickets, so what? it is not the end of the world.

I honestly think that old event like the heavenfall one, in which people that glitched won prices are way more unfair.
    Or even some of the old raffle events from years ago in which only the top spender won something is not fair at all.
    If someone wants nice items based on how much they charge or spend in game, there are plenty of nice promos that they do that are 100% win. like the ones that give NP cards to really rich people.

• mystuffies
    edited March 2017
    Options
    @scruncy I'm aware of how raffles work ... I just thought that like other times the toon you 'cash' on would have the advantage. I mean seriously can you blame me for thinking that way given how things usually end up in pwi when cashing is involved. Example http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/pwi/news/detail/9688343-war-avatar-raffle. They used to run those often before, like once a month I think, and basically the rule was whoever charged most would win. So it was my own misconception I suppose.
    As @dregenfox said on my previous post ''They purposefully use large numbers of tokens to make it look like you're getting a lot of chances to win. For example if you have 800 tokens, the chance to win is more like 800/400000 which is a .002% chance to win. I kind of feel like this knowledge should be implied for a raffle event like this but hey...this is PWI.''

@bloodedone87 And yeah the 3 tickets were in the mailbox, and the toon itself wasn't logged in 2-3 months prior to the raffle log-in event on January 31st 2017 and since that day it wasn't logged in at all until we saw the announcement and decided to log in the toon. Funniest thing was though that the mail that contained the raffle tickets was actually marked as new mail, so he never opened the mail to even check what's there. :)

@rieihdius I doubt you'd be saying that if you won the grand prize on lets say a jolly alt instead of your main toon, whilst needing a particular S card to complete an S set.

@sylenthunder Your replies are not far from being inflammatory either since you can't seem to communicate without implying sarcasm and shutting down people's opinions when you disagree. Being a bit nicer once in a while ( like the rest of these people commenting on this post) wouldn't do you any harm. Now go ahead and state your 'I'm a mod I'm smarter than you' type of opinion and close the post so no one can say anything back, as you would and do so normally. :3
  • bloodedone87
    bloodedone87 Posts: 1,883 Arc User
    Options
    mystuffies wrote: »
    @sylenthunder Your replies are not far from being inflammatory either since you can't seem to communicate without implying sarcasm and shutting down people's opinions when you disagree. Being a bit nicer once in a while ( like the rest of these people commenting on this post) wouldn't do you any harm. Now go ahead and state your 'I'm a mod I'm smarter than you' type of opinion and close the post so no one can say anything back, as you would and do so normally. :3

I have to agree with this. He does close some threads that should not be closed.
    giphy.gif

• rieihdius
    rieihdius Posts: 468 Arc User
    Options
    @mystuffies
    I do understand you, and probably would be mad if something like that happen to me.
    In my case I never experienced same issue since I almost never won anything on this game, however I do have an incomplete Morai set on my main after years of fsp and billions of coins on A-pack, same with warsong set.
    The funny thing is that one of my alt got the only card I need for the morai set x 5 :p
    Said alt, I dont even play it, so is really frustrating, I guess in your case is worse since is big price from a raffle.

All I can advice is:
    You can try to contact support from your alt and let them know that is just an alt, also I would try to contact Kalystconquerer, the GM/CM. She seems like a nice person, so maybe she can help you if you talk to her.

• uglyfaceyo
    uglyfaceyo Posts: 18 Arc User
    Options
    @scruncy I'm aware of how raffles work ... I just thought that like other times the toon you 'cash' on would have the advantage. I mean seriously can you blame me for thinking that way given how things usually end up in pwi when cashing is involved. Example http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/pwi/news/detail/9688343-war-avatar-raffle. They used to run those often before, like once a month I think, and basically the rule was whoever charged most would win. So it was my own misconception I suppose.

Yes and no. In the raffle you linked the rule was "5 people with the most entries on each server are guaranteed to win, the other 20 are selected based on the standard raffle rules". It might have happened that among those 20 there were ones that only charged 10 gold and had one entry while others, who charged much more, won nothing. Much like what apparently happened in the Rooster Raffle.

Having an advantage does not guarantee winning. It really is as simple as that.

• darky26
    darky26 Posts: 163 Arc User
    edited March 2017
    Options
    A raffle is a raffle, a chance thing. One might get something, one might not.

It has happened to me to win, when I believed I wouldn't. ->Though I'm not referring in this case in pwi raffle.

About the rule "5 people with the most entries on each server are guaranteed to win", to confirm that one would have to know the entries of every single player and compare them. It's hard for a player to know all the other players numbers of tokens & entries. I don't have the data, therefore I can not judge. Maybe the people with the most entries did win? And are among the alts and people who won?

About the mailbox and the entries. There was a post by a player mentioning that the raffle tokens stack with tokens from previous events/times, therefore it could be unfair that some people would appear to have more tokens. At that thread it was mentioned that there would be a data pull so it won't matter, and the older tokens whether they stack or not, won't affect it. If I understood correctly. From that, I understood that they would do a data pull to see who got sent what and when. So I thought it wouldn't be absolutely necessairy to take them out of the mailbox. I might be wrong, I admit I don't know much about technology and data. This is what I got from that announcement.
  • kalystconquerer#0876
    kalystconquerer#0876 Posts: 1,421 Perfect World Employee
    Options
    Ah I didn't manage to catch any of the Rooster Raffle threads, so I'll drop a few points here for players.

1) The raffle was indeed completely random. I had some overlap data from those who purchased packs and then also some unique users who had no raffle tickets (presumably meaning they didn't log in during the log-in period and just bought packs)

2) The randomizer was done through Excel formulas, since all my data was imported there form datapulls. This is also why it took so long to do. Perhaps there's a better formula than what I used to do it, since I needed to make one line per every ticket earned. There were also some exclusions I had to do or to keep in mind due to the pre datapull that was done.

3) Winners were screened before being announced (though granted, I'm no CS representative, so any information I was looking for probably wouldn't have came up during the pre-screen) I did notice there was some players who had mains on other servers or who had mains on the same account on that server who would benefit from these items, but I feel like tampering with the results in such a way "assuming" someone would want their items on that character defeats the true randomness and taints the results. No one gained any advantages over anyone else based on spending history or any other arbitrary scales. I was mostly checking to see if the account was active (not a dead account left over from the last time this item went out) and that the account wasn't being flagged for anything bad - though I could have missed log in times of a specific character during my sweep.

If there were alts of another person that was a completely separate account that used a completely different set of log in credentials probably would have escaped my eyes :( To that end, there's not much I can do about that.

Rewards have not gone out yet, so I'll talk to CS and see if something like this could be potentially accommodated (redistributing awards to a more appropriate designated character). If that's the case, where we have a few users who will need this done, this could potentially delay some of the rewards going out just so that we make sure everyone is accounted for!

Hope this cleared up a few things for everyone!
  • uglyfaceyo
    Options
    Let me just point out that redistributing rewards to characters different than the ones randomly selected in the raffle would be the only unfair thing that may happen here. It would literally mean that those who didn't care for understanding or following the rules and only picking tokens on the characters they wanted to have included gave themselves additional entries for free.

The rules were clear and the time to ask questions was before the raffle ended.
  • mystuffies
    Options
    @uglyfaceyo I never in either of my two posts demanded that the prize be transferred to my main character. I did say that we don't wan't to claim it since it wasn't needed/wanted on the character that got selected.

@kalystconquerer#0876 I'm glad you replied here and thank you. I wanted to ask you how to deal with this situation for the future. What's done is done for this raffle, however I'd like to avoid this from happening again. Basically my issue from the very start was that the character who won the prize wasn't intended to even be entered in the raffle. Which is why no raffle tickets were sent to it and it was only logged in once for the purpose of claiming the log-in reward and consequently the raffle tickets that were attached to the reward stayed in the mailbox (as new mail not opened before the winners were announced).

So my question is, how do I in the future claim a certain log-in reward or redeem a code that happens to have x amount of raffle tickets attached to it without entering the raffle? Example a code is given out that contains an A Chest and 2 raffle tickets, I want the A Chest on my alts but I don't care for the raffle tickets, those only matter on my main character.
    Now, we thought that leaving them in the mailbox means the raffle tickets won't be registered, because it was written on the post that we should keep the tickets in our bags, but as it seems that doesn't quite work. I'm gonna go ahead and guess that even if the tickets are NPCed they would still count.
    I'd like to in the future be able to claim rewards on my alts without having to enter them in the raffle. Is there any way to counter this?
    I feel like some players wouldn't mind where they won the prize, so long as they won. I'd like to avoid giving myself headaches because I won something nice on an useless account/character while I was actually gathering tickets and doing certain events for them on my main character. I'm not trying to be conceited or ungrateful for winning something, but I feel like it's only fair that I can chose which characters I'd like to enter for a raffle given how the rewards are all bound and are pretty nice.
  • uglyfaceyo
    Options
    @uglyfaceyo I never in either of my two posts demanded that the prize be transferred to my main character. I did say that we don't wan't to claim it since it wasn't needed/wanted on the character that got selected.
    I never claimed you did. I was replying to the post directly above mine where @kalystconquerer#0876 suggested they might consider doing that that.
    So my question is, how do I in the future claim a certain log-in reward or redeem a code that happens to have x amount of raffle tickets attached to it without entering the raffle? Example a code is given out that contains an A Chest and 2 raffle tickets, I want the A Chest on my alts but I don't care for the raffle tickets, those only matter on my main character.
    Now, we thought that leaving them in the mailbox means the raffle tickets won't be registered, because it was written on the post that we should keep the tickets in our bags, but as it seems that doesn't quite work. I'm gonna go ahead and guess that even if the tickets are NPCed they would still count.
    I took the liberty of snipping your post to the specific fragment I'll respond to. To quote the post introducing the raffle event:
    Tokens can not be dropped, traded, or account stashed but can be NPC’d. Please hold onto the tokens and do not lose them!
    I find this a rather clear indication that indeed, selling raffle tokens to an NPC will remove them from the pool.

• mystuffies
    Options
    @uglyfaceyo I appreciate your answer, however I was looking for reply from @kalystconquerer#0876.
    We can speculate all we want about whether NPCing removes them or not. It could be as simple as they're logged in the system as soon as they're sent to a character, regardless what you do with them after. Which is why I wanted a GM to confirm how it works exactly for the future raffles.