Tanky Venos

hogwarts123
hogwarts123 Posts: 66 Arc User
Ok, so i have been playing this game for a long time switching between classes ever since the tideborn came out. I really couldn't find a class that would fit my play style. Then about a year ago, i decided to make a veno as my main.I was suprised to find that I liked to make the support classes more tanky. After everyone started to discover ways to make the mystic of all classes more tanky, I was set on finding a way to make venos tanky too. The problem is the only bail out skill we have is feral. I looked here in the forums for new builds but they all meant that you couldn't go r9 without some super luck in stat rolling. Then I went to X-nation wars a couple weeks ago and this veno was running with the flag and getting mega ganked by my squad(who are all r9rr+12s) and others and still surviving to cap the flag with no cleric. I know endgame gears with good cards,meridian,starcharts and all that help to increase your ablilities but i never was able to find out who that was so i could ask them how they did it. I am not full r9rr+12 jaded yet but I am currently still looking for ways to make this awesome foxy class a little more op.
I have tried everything from switching cultivation to the defensive option of my r8 wep to no avail. If anyone knows a way to stay r9 but make a more op veno this is the place to tell me!!! FOXEEEHH LUVVV!

Comments

• catgirldesu
    catgirldesu Posts: 993 Arc User
    Are you sure there was no Cleric or Mystic assisting the Venomancer? Also, was that Venomancer completely alone or where there other people assisting them (stunning, AOE'ing others etc.). Did you observe the Venomancer and what they were doing? Such as using Feral, Bramble Hood etc. to survive.

Other than that, there are a few things I can thing of:
    - Venomancer is (max) endgame and is also full Vitality build for extra HP and defences.
    - They were using a R8r(r) weapon with a high defensive roll. Though they probably just used their R9rr weapon.
    - Although your squad is R9rr +12, that Venomancer had better cards, Star Chart, engraves etc. than them. It shouldn't make a huge difference, but it adds up with everything.
    - Was able to time skills and pots well.

Anyway, if you want to be super tanky, apart from maxing out your gear, you can follow a Vitality build. Add the minimum Magic you need to wield a weapon (300 Magic) and the rest goes into Vitality. You shouldn't need any Strength since you will have an Emperor Tome. If you don't have one yet, you will have to stat some Strength until then.

If you want to go further than that, you can actually stat less than 300 Magic as your tome & gear should give you quite a lot of Magic themselves. You can go with 155 Magic to wear your R9rr armor, and the overall gear should give you enough to reach over 300 Magic.

That is the only thing I can think of if you want to go the defensive/tanky route.

​​
  • hogwarts123
    edited January 2016
    YAY Desdi commented on my postI feel so special:) - I thought Dark was gonna raid my forum with his superfluffy hate>3>

Are you sure there was no Cleric or Mystic assisting the Venomancer? Also, was that Venomancer completely alone or where there other people assisting them (stunning, AOE'ing others etc.). Did you observe the Venomancer and what they were doing? Such as using Feral, Bramble Hood etc. to survive.

Other than that, there are a few things I can thing of:

- Venomancer is (max) endgame and is also full Vitality build for extra HP and defences.

- They were using a R8r(r) weapon with a high defensive roll. Though they probably just used their R9rr weapon.

- Although your squad is R9rr +12, that Venomancer had better cards, Star Chart, engraves etc. than them. It shouldn't make a huge difference, but it adds up with everything.

- Was able to time skills and pots well.

Anyway, if you want to be super tanky, apart from maxing out your gear, you can follow a Vitality build. Add the minimum Magic you need to wield a weapon (300 Magic) and the rest goes into Vitality. You shouldn't need any Strength since you will have an Emperor Tome. If you don't have one yet, you will have to stat some Strength until then.

If you want to go further than that, you can actually stat less than 300 Magic as your tome & gear should give you quite a lot of Magic themselves. You can go with 155 Magic to wear your R9rr armor, and the overall gear should give you enough to reach over 300 Magic.

That is the only thing I can think of if you want to go the defensive/tanky route.

​​

First, yes she was using the Bramble Hood and Blazing but no immune pots or skills. I didn't see a healer following her or anything but she did have a squad combating us though we were all targeting her so that we would get rid of the carrier first then deal with defenders. i don't know about her being better than my squad though becuase we had an maxed out endgame aps sin but he said he was doing poopy damage on her :/. Blazing doesn't work on Tidal though so i dont know how she managed to evade so much damage dealt. The only pot i saw her use was charger but it was nulled because I proced my nova stun. I noticed a couple of other heavy DDs from my server were on her too but still she only ticked her charm once that I could see. Unfortunately i died trying to purge her but after i respawned she capped the flag anyways.( So much veno hate in Nw)

I previously thought of the Vit build but I was wondering if it was really worth risking my damage for that.( Thanks to PWI giving us the more unreliable R9 wep). I look around to see if anyone in my server is a successful vit veno. Thanks for the advice:)

• catgirldesu
    Maybe that Venomancer secretly had RB2 Nuema Portal set. monkey-37.gif

Well, it does seem a bit weird how that Venomancer survived if it was how you described and there were many well geared people ganking them, plus no healer in sight. Did anyone manage to get a purge off on them? After all, buffs make a big difference. It would kinda make sense why the Venomancer survived then. Especially if they were a Vitality build. All that HP, plus defences, plus JOSD, plus buffs, plus using defensive skills... yeah a Venomancer like that can probably tank for days lol.

Other than that, a full Vitality build is the only thing I can think of as the best way to get the most tankiness out of a Venomancer, once the gear has been maxed out to a point (endgame goal always moves further and further away after all!).

Venomancers are luckily one of the classes that can make most builds work. Vitality build would, of course, mean playing an exclusively support role and being content with never killing anyone yourself. Well, Demon Ironwood is still a thing, but you know with all these defence charms and stuff, it's not always a guaranteed.

PvE shouldn't be too much of a problem. Pets will still have the same attack power, and you'll still probably have something like 25-30k or 35k-40k magic attack (depends on how much Magic you decide to take away) which is enough. That's more than what pure Magic R9rr Venomancer generally had prior the New Horizons expansion. That was already seen as a lot back then. You won't be able to finish the tower with any cool time for the rankings, but that's only a problem if you do care about the rankings.

Technically you can always restat, try Vitality build for a few days, see how you like it and then decide if you want to keep it or not. But I don't know the price of restat scrolls these days, and you'll probably need several to restat that amount of attribute points. tiger-27.gif

​​
  • hogwarts123
    HaHa RB2 Neuma Set HaHaHaHaHa-doubt

Anyways, after I finish sharding and refining I will definitely be trying that vit build. It would be nice to run into a crowd of enemies and not get immediately hate targeted and gank killed :) So far, I haven't found any vit venos but I am lazy and haven't done good searching xP. Thanks for the advice @catgirldesu

• hogwarts123
    I was thinking - with full vit as an option maybe i should do full deity to balance it out? or just keep working for josd for the full tanky effect:/ . Or hybrid idk just an idea.

• catgirldesu
    edited January 2016
    I'm not sure about the hybrid build. I never quite liked them in PvP. From my perspective, it was better to go all the way with one build and then compensate for what you lack. If it is pure Magic, then compensate with gear and/or getting better at timing pots/genie/skills. If it is full Vitality, compensate by getting better at working with people, coordinating attacks, getting assisted.

If you stat 100 Vitality you will lose about ~5k magic attack and gain ~1500HP. That doesn't really make much of a difference so you might as well stay pure Magic.

If you stat 200 Vitality you will lose about ~10k magic attack and gain about ~3000HP.

If you stat 300 Vitality you will lose about ~17k magic attack and gain about ~4700HP. Going the other way and stating 300 Magic and 380 Vitality give a difference of 1.5kHP and 2k-4k magic attack. Both of these also give about ~1.5% added defences.

If you stat 155 Magic and the rest in Vitality (525) you will lose ~30k magic attack and gain about ~8400HP. This also gives you about ~2-3% in defences.

The numbers are from just playing with the mypers calculator. The values may differ a bit depending on engraves, cards and if you're 105x3 or not.

Well, I don't know any Venomancer that uses a hybrid build in PvP and does PvP regularly. Maybe they have something to say about the build. As far as Deity shards go, I don't think it's a good idea. An extra 48 attack levels won't add too much, and you will lose a bunch of defence. You might as well just use Jone's Blessing for the 30 attack levels. That's better than giving up so many Jades. I'd still prefer O'Malley though, but you can always swap the blessings around.
    ​​
    Post edited by catgirldesu on
  • chary
    chary Posts: 850 Arc User
    Pure vit + josd. There is no other option.

Enjoy being tanky as **** and never dying (assuming you run an expel genie).​​
  • hogwarts123
    Thanks guys. I know some classes can go full deity and still be pretty tanky but I guess that doesn't work for venos. Can't have best of both worlds :0

• shade13
    shade13 Posts: 633 Arc User
    I have tried everything from switching cultivation to the defensive option of my r8 wep to no avail. If anyone knows a way to stay r9 but make a more op veno this is the place to tell me!!! FOXEEEHH LUVVV!
    r8 weap is not a good choice for flags. Getting hits from others makes your r9rr puri spell proc more often, that's the key of success on this particular map.
    As for survivability, I manage to carry flag sometimes through a completely outnumbering decently geared crowd, and I'm full magic. It also depends on luck - someone didn't crit/zc, missed a debuff, crited too early so your charm ticked instead of killing you, you was lucky to be not stunned and use hp/mana switch in the right moment, your puri spell worked when you needed it most etc.

If you want to squeeze everything out of survival potentital the game can provide, r9r is the only choice atm.
    ​​
    Sg4FlzA.png
  • calorien
    calorien Posts: 36 Arc User
    I have a friend with a veno which can solo Hellfire Abomination, I can ask him how she's built.
    The PWI info-fox formerly known as Mayfly - Dreamweaver
  • shade13
    shade13 Posts: 633 Arc User
    calorien wrote: »
    I have a friend with a veno which can solo Hellfire Abomination, I can ask him how she's built.
    This boss is far from hardest, to be honest. I think any r9r3+10 with decent gems can solo it no problem no matter how she is built. Actually, any boss is pretty much soloable (depending on gear), except those whose mechanics require presence of a whole squad and harpy wraith maybe, it requires additional skills and timing and again, build doesn't matter. If you can, you do it in any build, if you can't, you will die being full vit.​​
    Sg4FlzA.png