would appreciate some tips on purifying Toad's DoT/debuff

zefyrin
zefyrin Posts: 16 Arc User
edited September 2015 in Cleric
I've recently started doing Flowsilver Palace (Deicide mode) on my newbie cleric. I'm not new to FSP--I've been there hundreds of times with my mystic.

I've done some searches already on this topic, but maybe my search terms sucked. tiger-9.gif

All I could find out about the Telekinesis DoT/debuff was that:
- It's usually accompanied with a stun
- Toad throws the axe shortly after a system chat (I always watch out for this)
- The second highest DD typically gets it (Didn't know this)
- It lasts 12 seconds before it kills you (I thought it was 10)
- It does have an animation, but imo it's hard to see...

Maybe it's lag on my end, but I've seen some clerics Purify the DoT super quickly. tiger-10.gif I've been trying to figure out how, but aside from watching your teammates like a hawk, I really have no idea.

I usually keep an eye out for the single-target stuns and Purify that person, but oftentimes Toad does his aoe stun right after he throws the axe. Sometimes there isn't even a stun and that's primarily where my problem lies.

I would love it if PWI had a way of filtering out our own buffs, other's buffs, debuffs, etc., from showing.

Anyhow, I would very much appreciate any tips and/or comments on how you deal with Toad's DoT thingy! tiger-19.gif​​
periapt - 103/102/101 sage mystic on Tideswell
Zero_Phoenix - 102/101/100 sage cleric
Lambent - 101/101/101 demon cleric

Comments

• chary
    chary Posts: 850 Arc User
    edited September 2015
    The status icon is orange-ish brown. It will end up on whoever has the axe thrown at them, which is very easy to see.

Edit-

This might help for a visual:

https://youtu.be/1OM5yPMxwaY?t=5m10s
  • zefyrin
    Thanks for the vid, @chary. But it isn't always easy to see the debuff/DoT. In your video, there are only cleric buffs, which makes it very easy to see--but when you're in a squad with duskblades, mystics, archers, etc., all their buffs + your own + the barb's makes it hard to see.

There's also the exp/spirit buff, which is similar in color to the debuff/DoT that we need to Purify. ~.~​​
  • cynderangel
    cynderangel Posts: 193 Arc User
    edited October 2015
    For me, as soon as that system chat pops up, my eyes are glued to the squad buffs. It's possible you'll see the buffs change position, and the movement could help you identify who got debuffed.

While I do watch for the one shot icon itself, I primarily look for the stun; it's the easiest thing to spot. It's extremely rare that if I purify the person with stun that anything goes wrong, and as no one fusses that I didn't do my job on the rare occasions that it has happened, I'm not entirely sure those deaths are due to the debuff. I really think that's the best way to do it.

Do you have problems with people dying on you frequently, or are you just confused that you miss the debuff icon sometimes? Maybe people are self-purifing or a sage psy is taking care of it. Those sage psys make me a bit paranoid, but they are a big help.
    102/101/102 cleric
  • zefyrin
    edited October 2015
    I'm more or less getting the hang of it by now, I think. Thank you, @cynderangel.

I actually haven't had anyone die on me yet--I've been pretty lucky so far. I do get a bit paranoid if we have a rainbow squad--all those buffs are intimidating. tiger-20.gif I also primarily watch out for the stun, but lately I've been watching Toad instead and where he throws the axe. I wish I had more eyes so that I could watch out for the stun, too. tiger-9.gif

I'm not 100% sure on it, but it seems like Toad does throw the axe, but it doesn't stun/debuff anyone. It doesn't happen often, but it seemed to happen a few times in my last run and it definitely threw me off. I'm guessing the axes glitched or something.​​
  • cynderangel
    cynderangel Posts: 193 Arc User
    I wish I could do it by watching the axes, but unless the person who got axed is staying away from the squad, its hard to see. I wonder now if the axes glitch or if players are anticipating the stun/debuff and so are handling it themselves. Some people are used to bad clerics who don't even make the attempt to purify. Or again, those sage psys with their aoe purify - it's so perfect there. I've squaded with one who was so fast, I never saw the debuff.
    102/101/102 cleric
  • krian090590
    krian090590 Posts: 235 Arc User
    keep a lookout for someone who gets stunned (but not by the AOE stun) usually the DoT debuff will appear on that person in a few seconds
    Etherblade Server
    due to mishaps in my past few years in game, I do NOT accept random invites (faction/squad/friend no randoms period) NOR will I give buffs (cleric/barb/sin/exp if i have it) to random people because they ask. If I DO give buffs to a random person, it's because of a random whim (much like the red detonator button sitting at my desk that i will one day push at a random whim)
    Also do NOT look at my gear and then proceed to pm me asking to buy my gear or for a loan of coin. It's just plain rude.
    I have too many toons to name, but if you play on Etherblade server and you come across a toon that acts this way, or if the world is suddenly destroyed, it was probably me.
  • aeternusdoleo
    aeternusdoleo Posts: 180 Arc User
    Some tips from a cleric who feels your pain:
    - Check beforehand if your party has -so- many buffs that the debuff icon might not appear. If so, tell your party you'll have problems spotting the debuff.
    - Ask your party to spread out a bit, especially the ranged DDs. It's easier to see the debuff if your group is scattered.
    - Gauge the DD capacity of your party. If you've got one person doing gobs of damage more then the rest combined, then that person will usually get the axe. Axe always goes to whoever has 2nd highest aggro at the moment he throws.
    - When you see Frog throw the axe, tab and use a highly visible attack (I've found Elven Boon to work really well). This will point you in the direction where the axe was tossed - and in the direction of the debuffed player.
    - If in doubt, just purify everyone. Don't bother sparking at frog. As the purifying cler, your job is keeping folk alive, not DDing.
    - The stun icon usually points you to the debuff - but Sins with their status evasion buff up can avoid the stun while still getting debuffed. Some other effects also resist the stun only (BM: Will of the Bodisatva, Sin: Maze Steps etc) while still taking the debuff. Usually if a sin gets the debuff tho, they'll spark it off themselves.
    - ALWAYS keep an eye on the tank. If the tank gets debuffed, puri him very fast. Tank will have no aggro after an axe debuff (it resets aggro on that player to 0) so frog will go after someone else, and usually the chop follows shortly after the axe toss.
    ... forget your fears. And want no more...

Dawnglory player:
    Ulsyr - Khelvan - Evryn - Gromth
    And StoneSnake - CatSnakeshop for everyone's Common Stones and more!
  • zefyrin
    - When you see Frog throw the axe, tab and use a highly visible attack (I've found Elven Boon to work really well). This will point you in the direction where the axe was tossed - and in the direction of the debuffed player.

Kind of like Nature's Vengeance from a mystic? I unfortunately don't have Elven Boon, but (once I eventually) get it, I'll definitely keep this in mind!
    If in doubt, just purify everyone. Don't bother sparking at frog. As the purifying cler, your job is keeping folk alive, not DDing.

I'm a Demon cleric, not Sage, so I wouldn't have enough time to Purify everyone in time. tiger-2.gif
    Some FSD guides I found said that he debuff lasts 10/12 seconds before it one-shots the player. However, a fellow cleric in-game said that it lasts 30 seconds... In my experience the debuff lasted ~10 seconds before it one-shotted me on my mystic. tiger-9.gif
    The stun icon usually points you to the debuff - but Sins with their status evasion buff up can avoid the stun while still getting debuffed. Some other effects also resist the stun only (BM: Will of the Bodisatva, Sin: Maze Steps etc) while still taking the debuff. Usually if a sin gets the debuff tho, they'll spark it off themselves.

I forget that other classes have skills that can resist stun. Thanks for this bit of info! It certainly explains some things. e.e
    ALWAYS keep an eye on the tank. If the tank gets debuffed, puri him very fast. Tank will have no aggro after an axe debuff (it resets aggro on that player to 0) so frog will go after someone else, and usually the chop follows shortly after the axe toss.

I didn't know this and all the guides I've read/seen do not mention this, so thank you so much for this bit of info, @aeternusdoleo!​​
  • aeternusdoleo
    aeternusdoleo Posts: 180 Arc User
    If you don't have elven boon, use Great Cyclone instead. It just has a bit of a longer channel/cast time, but works just as well.
    ... forget your fears. And want no more...

Dawnglory player:
    Ulsyr - Khelvan - Evryn - Gromth
    And StoneSnake - CatSnakeshop for everyone's Common Stones and more!