Is archer worth making or SB? Pvp & PVE perspective

cameron16
cameron16 Posts: 14 Arc User
edited May 2015 in General Discussion
-snip- I'm new to the dream weaver server and I used to play on Raging tides. I love the archer class for what it is but I don't know much about it anymore. I hear so much negativity about that class. Don't want to be a sin bc there's just too many. So I was thinking of playing an SB if an archer is just no good. From the perspective of PVE and PVP if anybody on here has experience with these 2 classes from PVE and PVP perspectives please share with me. No trolling or ignorance is necessary I'm just asking for helpful information from experienced players. I don't know which route to take invest my time in.
Post edited by cameron16 on

Comments

• HideYoHubby - Archosaur
    HideYoHubby - Archosaur Posts: 995 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I love my archer. Archer is a weak class though, generally accepted as the weakest 1vs1 class. Mass PK class has more uses but its still one of the weakest if not weakest there too. If you are fine with playing a weak class that seems to get nerfed further on every single update, go for it. I would advice on not rolling archer, most endgame archers are frustrated how useless they are despite their gear because of the class they play.
    __Sami__ - Archer - 105/103/102 - mypers.pw/1.8/#132088 - Active
    HideYoHubby - Assassin - 105/101/101 - Inactive
    WnbTank - Barbarian - 103/101/101 - Catshop
  • demansfairy
    demansfairy Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    For Archers:
    PvP
    1V1 archers are terrible compared to the other classes (equal gear and skill) due to the fact their damage is almost constantly halfed by their opponent running up to them, forcing them to having to constantly use their leap skills if they want to deal full damage.
    In more than 1v1 setting however, archers are very good due to their range and chance to purge proc while they always have at least 1 target they can deal full damage to, making them pretty deadly, worse case from them is that they force most/all opponents to get close to them, which puts them in a nice group to be AoEd by aliies.

PvE
    Don't know TOO much about them but they have fast attack rate, can dish out a lot of damage, can amp bosses, can purge bosses w/ the 3r9 bow, and high survivability end game.

For SB:
    PvP
    1v1 This class can hold it's own versus nearly every class (except maybe DB, but kinda expect an end game DB who knows what he's doing to be able to stun lock every other class forever) with several CC skills, being hard as hell to catch for melee classes due to moving+chan and cast skills along w/ an anti stun skill, and having a -20% damage passive to EVERY skill if they within about 5 meters of the attacker. Their damage output is also insane due to tons of -chan (mines has 55% using just regular gear, no -chan specific gear), Electro static discharge, and especially perilunar tide (think an unpuragable wiz's spark combo that lasts for 15 seconds). Mass pvp this class has about 8 AoE skills ALL of them being useful, and is very tanky end game ( about 70k p def in reaper form).

PVE
    This class has 8 AoE skills, can m def buff for 30-45%, can metal/water debuff for an additional 100% and this class TEARS through level 150 mobs/bosses (mobs w/ the "?" as their level) due to their pet summon and Avatar of the Storm dealing full damage.

In the end though, play the class you feel more comfortable with, if you're not sure, make one of both, play to..end of celestial vale area? Should give you enough of an idea on how each class works in pve at least, and choose whichever you like playing more.
    full +12 SB, currently lv 105 105 105
  • cameron16
    edited May 2015
    Thank yall very much, yall said exactly what I've been hearing bits and pieces of but just wasn't too sure. I made an archer back in 2010 on raging tides and it was soooo different then. Maybe if they change and revamp the archers I'll go back but I'm gonna go SB, it's my first magic class aside from a level 9 cleric back in 2012 lol again thanks for the advice. Now I just got to figure out what skills are important on SB and genie skills lol. I also heard there's no healing skill? First magic class that can't self heal I suppose?
  • demansfairy
    edited May 2015
    cameron16 wrote: »
    Thank yall very much, yall said exactly what I've been hearing bits and pieces of but just wasn't too sure. I made an archer back in 2010 on raging tides and it was soooo different then. Maybe if they change and revamp the archers I'll go back but I'm gonna go SB, it's my first magic class aside from a level 9 cleric back in 2012 lol again thanks for the advice. Now I just got to figure out what skills are important on SB and genie skills lol. I also heard there's no healing skill? First magic class that can't self heal I suppose?

genie skills depends on pvp or pve, really should have 2 different genies, for pvp though skills like expel, domain, faith, fortify, holy path, maybe extreme poison, possibly an anti element skill like Heart of Steel. Also this class has 1 heal skill (well 2-3 if demon and when primal skills come out), heals you for full hp, makes you take ~75% less damage for 6 seconds while being immune to ALL status effects then heals you for full hp again, then makes you immune to all damage for 2 or 4 secs (depends if sage or demon). It's AMAZING but 3 min CD b:cry
  • cameron16
    edited May 2015
    What in the world?!?! Lolol what kinda skill does that... Heals you makes you take less damage heals you again makes you immune etc... I feel like that's fairly OP lol. I just wanted to be a good class with good solo capabilities without having to be a sin. Personally I have nothing against them I've just seen way too many and they all look the same, dress the same, and fight the same. Aside from a few. And since I came back I heard from all the new updates that not only did archers get crapped on but bm's damage got nerfed, and psy now have somewhat of a skill that's like seeker vortex?
  • demansfairy
    edited May 2015
    What in the world?!?! Lolol what kinda skill does that... Heals you makes you take less damage heals you again makes you immune etc... I feel like that's fairly OP lol. I just wanted to be a good class with good solo capabilities without having to be a sin. Personally I have nothing against them I've just seen way too many and they all look the same, dress the same, and fight the same. Aside from a few. And since I came back I heard from all the new updates that not only did archers get crapped on but bm's damage got nerfed, and psy now have somewhat of a skill that's like seeker vortex?

archers did kinda get craped on, idk about bm's damage, but they got skills which make purify spell nearly worthless now, and psys did get a skill like seeker's vortex BUT it requires you give up 2 good skills and the damage is ****, personally i make fun of psys who get it.
  • cameron16
    edited May 2015
    That doesn't even sound like a worth while skill lol. And when I get off work I plan to make my SB, I'm not to familiar with magic classes so this should be a little interesting.

Any skills I should mainly focus on? Or just go for all of them as I go? This seems like a purely offensive magic class from the info I've been getting from the community. I heard they run slow as molasses lol
  • tek1nig
    tek1nig Posts: 793 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    -snip- I'm new to the dream weaver server and I used to play on Raging tides. I love the archer class for what it is but I don't know much about it anymore. I hear so much negativity about that class. Don't want to be a sin bc there's just too many. So I was thinking of playing an SB if an archer is just no good. From the perspective of PVE and PVP if anybody on here has experience with these 2 classes from PVE and PVP perspectives please share with me. No trolling or ignorance is necessary I'm just asking for helpful information from experienced players. I don't know which route to take invest my time in.

If you're formerly an archer I'd suggest a Duskblade rather than switching to the arcane dark side.
    VWjvQZ8.jpg
    Assassin - SyntherosX - 105, 105, 105 Calc : https://mypers.pw/13/#654396
    Loyal Perfect World Player 9 Year Vet.
    Youtube&LiveStream @ OROCx24

Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • AlysonRose - Heavens Tear
    AlysonRose - Heavens Tear Posts: 624 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    I don't get how people keep saying sb run slow. They have 2 skills that increase movement speed, which stack, and mean you can almost keep up with a tiger barb for a while.

Also, holy path exists.

Mystics are the slow ones, along with pretty much every caster other than sb and veno.

One critical healing skill I guess is overlooked is super cell. It heals you 50% and buffs defense if you use it properly, and lv11 version get you a 2nd cast sometimes (sage for no chi) that can heal you another 50%.

Lunar blessing is indeed an awesome skill, its practically as good as psy will since it makes you almost unkillable for its duration. But it also reduces magic damage, heals you twice to full and ignores all status effects then gives you a few sec to finish off your attacker.

I've never come close to dying while using it, only Mushi and toad etc. instant kill moves could do that. Probably an op player could do it, but I have sage version so its another 5% damage reduction, and if I had a charm and buffs and they were in melee range...they'd have to be pretty op.

I also say "finish off" because if at all possible you should have avatar of the storm pop off before you bubble up. Let them stand in it while they tink away at your hp. Those few sec of invincibility certainly gives you free reign to stun them or anything really to set up for a super cell or just discharge them before you run away.

I speak theoretically, because until I get something other than the default flyer I'm not going to nw, not that I do on mystic anymore.

Perilunar call is the skill that, if mobile casting didn't grab you, will make you love sb. I cannot express how great it is to be able to just log in and click an icon to get full chi or to triple spark and have almost full chi before the animation ends.

I already go sage on all toons for Master Li's tech (and tanky sparks) but not having to waste cloud eruptions and still wait around for more chi every time I'm empty is awesome.

Sure beats smacking npcs for chi b:chuckle

Also, Perigean tide makes bosses hp drop so fast with the right squads its crazy.

When the primal skills come, assuming they are accurately translated, then Sigma Moonblade is gonna wreck everything. I'm not sure about the rest since no one seems bothered to give more info on them yet.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    f:sneakyf:sneakyf:sneaky
  • Poopinpanto - Heavens Tear
    Poopinpanto - Heavens Tear Posts: 274 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Just cash your archer out..sell out man like all the rest in this game.I know dmg is halfed when they get close but hey if your cashed out then it wont matter because instead of hitting 50k+ on some one then you will just hit 25k+ on some one if they get close.b:victory

Kinda lame though to spend so much on a toon to become a weekend warrior though..
  • war34child
    war34child Posts: 111 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    For newbies I even recommend to level up an archer first (and on second account a cleric).

Why?

* Because it's most easy to level them up fast. The in-game bot system ("auto culti") works best for archers, they are the fastest mobs killers with normal attacks (1-3 hits per mob, and at proper spots there will be always a mob within reach).

* If you are a casual player and you don't know/remember the skills/skill buttons, you can still just auto attack. And no one will complain. You are not responsible for keeping a squad alive.

* You can join 100+ instances with average (low) gear you can even tank many bosses easily, because you will only get hurt by the magic attacks and not by the close ranged melee attacks (e.g. a sin or bm with comparable gear wouldn't be able to do that).

* In NW you are able to hit targets and debuff/purge them before they can touch/see you + you can support flag carriers with speed buff (other classes will get 1-shooted before they can deal a single hit or debuff/purge).

* Archers are not as wanted as clerics for daily stuff like BHs, FS and so on.
    But since every squad needs DDs, it shouldn't be a big deal to team up with others. And I never saw in wc: "LFM for BH/FS/AEU (no archers)", but I saw quite often "LFM for BH/FS/AEU (no sins).

* In end-game archers are not op anymore. But most of you will never reach end-game anyway. If we talk about end-game, we talk about equipment which is still worth ~8-12k dollars. Don't even dream about it.

* Btw, an archer can solo harpy wraith with g16/+5 citrine sharded gear. Or warsong bosses with 3* gear. Try to do that with another class.
  • Joe - Morai
    Joe - Morai Posts: 1,299 Arc User
    edited May 2015
    Archer are fun. SBs are fun, too. Any class is.

Storms are definitly the stronger class in terms of PvE and PvP with the exception of purge when it's needed. Stronger by a whole lot that is.

If you wanna play the stronger class go for Storm. If you wanna play what you wanna play then simply play what you wanna play.
    My Barb:
    mypers.pw/1.8/#146464

My SB:
    mypers.pw/1.8/#141476