Dude you're defending Arc?

Go kill yourself, you don't belong in this world b:bye

Disgusting piece of dirt!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SHIMBERLY - Heavens Tear
    SHIMBERLY - Heavens Tear Posts: 703 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Maybe arc will be good,maybe arc will stop the x3+++++ alts people log in at one time.
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Wow you really disappointed me with this post
    I don't really care nor am I trying to meet anyone's expectations. I'm sorry if this comment comes out as rude, I don't know how else to word it.
    Showing facts, some yep. clearing up misconceptions, just No
    Highlighting the mostly harmless bits e.g Cookies while down playing or even ignoring the other not so harmless bits e.g. other devices MMMmmmm,

People saying Arc is spyware and talking about cookies while not knowing or realizing regular websites work in similar ways is a misconception..or misunderstanding? misinformed? I don't know, maybe I used the wrong word? English isn't my mother tongue. Just an example.
    What I really do not get is why I and others have no rights to be different from you and the other lovers of computer bling or to express an opinion different from yours, is that because we are just not as smart as you think you all are, if so good luck with that in your future relationships with us less intelligent more emotive peeps.

If this comment is directed at me...I don't know where you assumed all that from because I didn't say anything about people not having the right to have different opinions nor did I say anything about people and computers and being smart..I didn't even say anything about myself regarding that topic.

I literally just said for people to chill a bit and that was directed to those raging about this situation. I didn't say they shouldn't complain or be unhappy or that's wrong but going around throwing things like "go kill yourself" to someone is not okay. Referring to the poster I quoted which resulted in my post, hence the "don't rage too much" part.

I suppose the "have all the rights rage" part is what you are talking about, should have used a different expression maybe.

As for the rest of the post, if that was still directed to me, you can see through my older posts that I don't support Arc, it just doesn't bother me (for the time being) so I'm not against it but I am against this decision that's gonna happen on April 2nd but considering PWE ignored previous threads about it, they'll do it whether we like it or not.
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • kloodrin
    kloodrin Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Options
    i don't even know why people rage so much about this matter , yes game will change whetter we like it or not if you do not like the game anymore after it maybe its time to change games ;p
    pwi died out quite a bit as gameplay/pk/pvp and even pve events if they ruin wootever good was left its time for a major change ill still try out to see how bad will be or what will happen bwuahahahah ;p
  • SneakyZoe - Morai
    SneakyZoe - Morai Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Moin,

I like full integration systems for better comfort where I got an advantage of playing the game.

So what are my personal advantages for using Arc?

Browser
    I have an in-game browser --> wow already used it - I still prefer tab out of game and use my original browser. Why people always think its better to develop something for their own?
    Every browser adaption I saw, was just uncomfortable and buggy as hell.

No advantage.

Administrate several games
    I can administrate my PWI games. Serious, I only play one game and so its no new feature for me.

No advantage.

Better Overview
    I need to reject it, if I logon ARC at the moment everything is against standard rules (news on right side instead of left side and more ..)

Disadvantage.

Improving Service Quality
    Thats best troll advantage ever for a Morai player who dont have any GM or technical EU support who cares about Server?
    btw: Instead of asking GMs, EU players are advise to write tickets. As I used German ARC I was directly refered to US Support - hopefully all US boys can speak German, French, ... fluent

If you want to improve service quality not gather data but implement standards for gaming support. This would be a real improvement of service quality!

... and to mention that you will track my internet behaviour for better marketing advertising?
    Hey, in future I will get now mails from marketing companies in-game?

Note: Please start data gathering on your forum. We request for several weeks a +10 orb sale. This is even not observed!

Big Disadvantage!

Functionalities
    You disabled several functions which also not ran in past (rankings, DQ points, ...)
    But one moment, you re right. Blessing functionality is at the moment better solved.

Letz give these options a chance. At the moment its the Pre-Alpha version because no features implemented. Build up more advantages and announce it and I will see if I can live with it.

Result
    I don`t see any reasonable benefits for ARC at the moment but it still has chances.
    The missing communication about benefits/advantages together with all the deep information about how you want to collect datas makes me wondering why you want to push it so fast.

There can be only one reason:
    You want to gather a lot of datas and combine them with already stored personal information.
    I was laughing loud as I read Slys argument about there are also other ad-spyware tools.

Only because there are also other may be other unidentified spyware tools, we should accept now another one? ... and this one is legalized with routings because we want to play the game and best thing: It combines serious given account datas with not personalized random datas from the internet or more worse even business critical datas. ... and you take no guarantee for third party tools.

You still make a secret about why you implement this additional tool ARC.
    So don`t wonder why most of the people not embrace this change and asking themself, why having more effort to install it by having no advantages.

I most like Astrelles thread about China game and US add-on.
    This will give hope for future.

P. S. Fix the main quest lines, implement a better quality check for new updates and try to win first more trust from the users before doing smth like this.

P.P.S: Sorry for bad English!
  • Zoldi - Morai
    Zoldi - Morai Posts: 1,595 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Options
    With all due respect, PWE is really not a professional company according to me.
    How can you announce that the go live will be next week while saying multi-clienting hasn't been fixed yet ? This is a complete non-sense...

First you test on QA environments. Then once everything is fixed you plan the go live...

P.S. : I totally support Zoe's post above mine.
    ~ Sage Mystic 105-105-105 ~
    ~ Sage Sin 103-103-102 ~
    ~ Sage vita Barb 103-102-101 ~
    ~ Sage BM 102-101 ~ Demon Archer 102 ~
    ~ Sage Cleric 102 ~ Demon Wizard 101 ~
    ~ Sage Seeker 101 ~ Sage Psy 101 ~
    ~ Sage Heavy Veno 101 ~ Demon Storm 9X ~ Dusk 6x ~
    Started playing this game in 2007 on Oracle (PW-MY) : Demon MG 101 - Sage EP 99 - WF 89
  • Lolgasmic - Raging Tide
    Lolgasmic - Raging Tide Posts: 1,315 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Options
    kloodrin wrote: »
    i don't even know why people rage so much about this matter , yes game will change whetter we like it or not if you do not like the game anymore after it maybe its time to change games ;p

This is exactly why I moved to PWI to begin with; I didn't like the direction Jagex was taking their game and so I left. That was a little under 4 years ago.
    Moin

Morai has had the worst run of luck for a very long time now, my sympathies.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Barbarian 103 - 101 - 101
    Started playing on March 2010
  • hatebreed8
    hatebreed8 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Options
    All I know is that Arc has been working fine for me, and I am using an old machine. Multi clienting I can see being a problem but I use 2 computers to do that anyway so cant complain there. Cookies meh, Google, Amazon, and Pay Pal have been spying on me for years and I have managed to survive with minimal intrusion. So whats 1 more?
    P.S. To all ppl from Sanctuary that plan to quit cause down loading the game in a period of 8 days is just to short notice. You may feel free to mail all coins and un bound equip to me. I would hate to see years of hard work and cash waisted. I'll take good care of it for you. b:laugh
  • SylenThunder - Twilight Temple
    edited March 2014
    Options
    @[SylenThunder - Sanctuary]

Dude you're defending Arc?

Go kill yourself, you don't belong in this world b:bye
    It's not that I'm defending Arc. I don't like it any more than most of the people out here...
    Take it easy there pal.

Sylen's been showing facts about Arc and clearing misconceptions. More often than not people are exaggerating about Arc or raging about it without having tried it. Exception to this are those that use older computers/laptops which have all the rights rage.

I'm not a fan of Arc myself but right now it doesn't bother me. I'm no fan of this upcoming change but there might still be ways to dual client and/or use PWI without Arc after this change so keep a little faith.

All I'm trying to say (to everyone), chill a bit. Complains are normal but don't rage too much.....yet :P
    ^^ This
    Mostly I am straightening out misconceptions. People are taking a little pinch of half-baked data and are blowing it completely out of proportion.
    Questions for Sylen

I'm mostly in peace now with accepting ARC but have some questions for you. Please explain me if you can:

1. Do you think that multi clients will be possible after Arc integration? (this is for me most important question and will affect my game so explain it if you can)

2. Can you explain me more about how security works in Arc. Like for example if you have more games, and acc of one game get compromised, will it in any way affect acc in other games?

3. What you think are 3 top advantages and 3 top disadvantages of Arc

4. Would like your honest opinion is there ANY thing regarding to Arc I should maybe be concerned about?

Thx in advance:)

1. Yes. Sparkie already said that they are working to incorporate multi-client abilities into ARC. (Currently it does not work.) That aside though, even if they don't, we're already working to find ways around Arc. Currently looking at modified launchers that will bypass the ability so the client doesn't look for Arc to be running when launched.

2. With Arc, it's basically focused on one account. The account data that is stored locally is pretty much just the login ID and password. The password is kept in a data file that is stored in your user profile folder. I've managed to narrow down the process used to encrypt the data, but without the key, you can't read it. I haven't managed to crack the key yet, so there's a good chance it's secure.
    As for one "game" getting compromised, if they've got your login data for that game, they've got the login data for all your games on that account. Arc doesn't change anything there.
    In the end, if your account get compromised, Arc doesn't make any difference at all.

3. Now there's an interesting question. =)

Top 3 Advantages.
    1. One loader to control them all. I like a clean desktop, without a lot of Icons. I really love that I can launch all of my Steam games by simply right-clicking the steam icon in my system tray and then clicking the game I want to play. This functionality isn't available with Arc, and my not, but loading up the Arc launcher isn't much more of a step, and it's cleaner than having 20 icons on my desktop or going through the Start menu. (Yes, I know there are many other ways to load icon lists, but I'm presenting this to people who aren't as tech-savvy as some of us.)

2. News and information. I've never been fond of the way it's integrated into the "launcher" for each client. The ability to easily see the various news and sales for multiple products with a quick click is pretty handy, and you don't have to wait for it to expand into another program either.

3. The download manager. It pauses, and it's using secure protocols to connect to the server. I'd prefer to still have a torrent option, but overall it's better that the old file servers.

Top 3 Disadvantages
    1. It currently doesn't recognize games already installed. Before they encrypted the xml data files, this was pretty easy to work around by simply editing the path data to point Arc in the right direction, or to move your data to Arc's default locations. Word is that they are working on a fix for it. Right now you can manually add shortcuts, but there's no integration if it's a supported game.

2. It's another process. With most systems today, it's not an issue. I'm sitting borderline right now, but the RAM upgrade I recently did helped a lot. It can really add up on a low-end system though. I mean, I'm currently running Steam, Arc, Skype, TeamSpeak, TeamViewer, LogMeIn, plus I've got the software for my headset, my phone, and a couple of other tools sitting down there. It can really add up for some people. I must manage what's running, and use GameBooster to clean thing up quickly if needed, but not everyone is as advanced at managing system resources as some of us are.

3. The way the games are sorted. I'd like to be able to "favorite" a game and have it site in a section at the top like Steam, or to be able to move the order of them around. Currently it just arbitrarily sorts them, probably by the way they are ordered in the xml configuration sheet that I can't edit anymore. In any case, the top game that it defaults to showing the information on happens to be the one I play the least.

I also miss the Core functionality. It was nice to be able to look someone up by the character or to look up the other guilds. Now that the Core websites are down, that ability is completely gone. You can only do lookups if you know their account ID or email. No offense, but neither of those are things that I would normally give someone, nor would I expect for them to provide me with it.

4. To be perfectly honest. NO. They haven't done anything "invasive" with the functionality of the Arc client. In fact, it hardly does anything more than the X-Fire tool has been doing for years. (Background game updates was an awesome feature with X-Fire.) The only real issue that I have with Arc is that, once again, they are pushing a product at us that isn't completely finished. IMHO, Arc is barely out of the Alpha-test phase and is still in early Beta stages. Unless they make some large strides in the updates to the Arc client in the near future, I'm going to be sorely disappointed by having it forced.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • bluestuffzzz
    bluestuffzzz Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Options
    As you may have all been aware, Arc Integration is coming April 2nd, 2014. For more information, see here:
    http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/pwi/detail/3038993-arc-integration

You know, even though we all saw this coming, it still is a pretty big blow for a lot of players. This whole issue can also be tied in with the most recent GM event that spark did on all servers last week. When asked a few questions... Well, let me explain.

Question 1: Sparkie, is PWE doing anything to advertise this game, so that we can get more players on the servers?

Answer: Not that I'm aware of.

Question 2: Sparkie, what does your team have planned in order to get people back into this title? It still has a lot of life in it.

Answer: To be honest, most of our staff has gone to other projects in the company. We only have a few remaining for PWI.

When analyzing this, along with some of the more recent issues like the d-orb incident, DQ shop being removed, blessings being removed without notice - only to appear in Arc, etc... It's all evident PWE doesn't care about this game anymore.

The bottom line is the Arc beta platform was pushed on players, and the new players that didn't:
    1.) Do a forum search
    2.) Find Sylen's direct download link of PWI
    3.) Download, unzip, and play

were stuck downloading and installing a absolutely useless piece of 3rd party bloatware/DRM tool in order to only have to (in many cases) re-download/install PWI all over again.

Here's the main issues with Arc that haven't been solved since 2011 with Core Client:

1.) We can't trust you, PWE. You fail at every corner, why should we trust a company with installing software to play a game that hasn't needed said software since it's initial release? We will be trusting Arc with our account user/pass. Many major corporations have had sensitive leaks in credit info, passwords, etc, why would you be any different?

2.) Steam is already the majority share-holder in DRM service for video games on the PC platform. Most new players will absolutely not install another piece of software/DRM in order to play the game that they would only be "trying out" to see if it was any good in the first place.

3.) Most players that have been playing for a while now will refuse to install a DRM suite, because it wasn't there originally. This means more players will abandon ship, myself included most definitely.

4.) Even though Arc is lightweight, it still takes up RAM and another process on a computer. For myself, this isn't an issue - I have 32GB of RAM on my desktop. For the average gamer, a laptop in the last 3-5 years may only have 4GB of RAM. This means that beyond the OS (2GB, typically), they will have driver software, graphics software, anti-virus software, and various other tasks such as Steam... So, they don't exactly have the ability to start up multiple instances of different software.

5.) Multi-clienting probably won't be available right away, I'm assuming. This is a problem.

Good luck selling a game that has been abused by a pay to win model since 2010 by it's subsidiary, open to the public internationally since 2008, and originated in 2004 by it's parent company. Seriously, PWE, it will take a Christmas miracle to save the game now, and when you throw Arc in the mix, you are saying goodbye to this title.

How many people have posted issues that have been unresolved relating to Arc on PWI-Forums? Now, check the other game message boards that PWE runs. There are probably thousands of issues unresolved. PWE wants to push a system that people have been saying no to for a long time, and refuses to give support to it's player-base on the platform's issues.

You think people are going to hop on the "download DRM in order to play this game you've been playing for 5 years" train? Think again.
    I host an Ecatomb mirror here: ecatomb.gdevtalk.net
    I've been actively playing since late 2008.
    Youtube: youtube.com/user/thecryotonic
  • Sevchenko - Dreamweaver
    Sevchenko - Dreamweaver Posts: 661 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Look

I have i7 processor 2,2ghz 8gb RAM, 672mhz GPU, 1344mhz Shader clock, 2gb Dedicated video memory, Windows 7 Ultimate x64

And still Arc makes me lose about 2 fps, and gives me lots of weird fps drops when on crowded areas (such thing doesn't happen without Arc).

I think you can 'Add game manually' from add game menu and run double client.

But seriously, Arc is a ****, a waste of precious clock times.
    [S.E.V.C.H.E.N.K.O]
    Synthetic Electronic Variant Calibrated for Hazardous Exploration, Nullification and Kamikaze Observation[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sparkiesoft
    sparkiesoft Posts: 47
    edited March 2014
    Options
    You know, even though we all saw this coming, it still is a pretty big blow for a lot of players. This whole issue can also be tied in with the most recent GM event that spark did on all servers last week. When asked a few questions... Well, let me explain.

Question 1: Sparkie, is PWE doing anything to advertise this game, so that we can get more players on the servers?

Answer: Not that I'm aware of.

Question 2: Sparkie, what does your team have planned in order to get people back into this title? It still has a lot of life in it.

Answer: To be honest, most of our staff has gone to other projects in the company. We only have a few remaining for PWI.

When analyzing this, along with some of the more recent issues like the d-orb incident, DQ shop being removed, blessings being removed without notice - only to appear in Arc, etc... It's all evident PWE doesn't care about this game anymore.

The bottom line is the Arc beta platform was pushed on players, and the new players that didn't:
    1.) Do a forum search
    2.) Find Sylen's direct download link of PWI
    3.) Download, unzip, and play

were stuck downloading and installing a absolutely useless piece of 3rd party bloatware/DRM tool in order to only have to (in many cases) re-download/install PWI all over again.

Here's the main issues with Arc that haven't been solved since 2011 with Core Client:

1.) We can't trust you, PWE. You fail at every corner, why should we trust a company with installing software to play a game that hasn't needed said software since it's initial release? We will be trusting Arc with our account user/pass. Many major corporations have had sensitive leaks in credit info, passwords, etc, why would you be any different?

2.) Steam is already the majority share-holder in DRM service for video games on the PC platform. Most new players will absolutely not install another piece of software/DRM in order to play the game that they would only be "trying out" to see if it was any good in the first place.

3.) Most players that have been playing for a while now will refuse to install a DRM suite, because it wasn't there originally. This means more players will abandon ship, myself included most definitely.

4.) Even though Arc is lightweight, it still takes up RAM and another process on a computer. For myself, this isn't an issue - I have 32GB of RAM on my desktop. For the average gamer, a laptop in the last 3-5 years may only have 4GB of RAM. This means that beyond the OS (2GB, typically), they will have driver software, graphics software, anti-virus software, and various other tasks such as Steam... So, they don't exactly have the ability to start up multiple instances of different software.

5.) Multi-clienting probably won't be available right away, I'm assuming. This is a problem.

Good luck selling a game that has been abused by a pay to win model since 2010 by it's subsidiary, open to the public internationally since 2008, and originated in 2004 by it's parent company. Seriously, PWE, it will take a Christmas miracle to save the game now, and when you throw Arc in the mix, you are saying goodbye to this title.

How many people have posted issues that have been unresolved relating to Arc on PWI-Forums? Now, check the other game message boards that PWE runs. There are probably thousands of issues unresolved. PWE wants to push a system that people have been saying no to for a long time, and refuses to give support to it's player-base on the platform's issues.

You think people are going to hop on the "download DRM in order to play this game you've been playing for 5 years" train? Think again.

For question 2, I did not say we had other members go to other games, but that I was going to try my best to bring back the life of the game with what I could, since there were not many people originally on PWI when I started. Hopefully that clears that up.

As for the rest:

1) That is your choice and your choice alone, and I can't stop you from doing what you feel. With that said, we're doing our best to continually improve security across the board, and that includes Arc. We absolutely do not want anything happening to your accounts, and I know the team is hard at work improving on security every day.

2) Everyone has to start somewhere; Steam went through the exact same thing with nobody wanting it, and look where it's at now! I understand not wanting to install more programs to try it out, but that's why we're working on making that a smoother process as well.

3) Well I wouldn't call it DRM, since that term is usually reserved for programs specifically built to stop games from being pirated. (Can't really pirate a free to play, well I mean I guess you could, but there's no point to that)

4) That's being addressed as well, with hopefully an even lighter weight launcher.

5) Right away, possibly not. I do know that they're working on it though and I'm more than happy to update the community when it's coming.

I'm always forwarding issues to the Arc team when they come up, however not many people actually give me evidence or anything that shows they have an issue. Honestly, I've had maybe 5-6 people total tell me they've had a problem, and given me some sort of way to verify it. If you genuinely do have an issue, seriously, PM me and show me/tell me what it is. I will forward it and talk to our team about it and try to get it fixed. b:pleased
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Arc as a social tool and downloader is GREAT

as long as its optional.

The best current Arc feature is the ability to use it when I wish to and IF i wish to.

Edit(To avoid double post):
    - About information stalking: Google been there doing that for years I know, I can just incognito mode and check 'Send no track request' on Chrome to avoid being tracked.
    I can install Adblock plus and block any and every ad/tracking js script i don't like.
    That is tracking and that is optional, i have the option to NOT be tracked at all.

And you guys know players will find a way to bypass Arc and play the game stand-alone as they always played. They used to multi login when it wasn't even allowed, you know your players are ****ing rebels and they won't just 'get used' to that.

I myself will find a way to bypass Arc and I WILL NOT use that waste of CPU clock.

Will you call me a vandal? Will you apply copyrights on me? on a Free to play game? I don't see any sense on that.

If it's not a DRM and if its not to prevent and kind of 'piracy', why is it going to be obligatory in first place then?
    [S.E.V.C.H.E.N.K.O]
    Synthetic Electronic Variant Calibrated for Hazardous Exploration, Nullification and Kamikaze Observation[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Eoria - Harshlands
    Eoria - Harshlands Posts: 6,118 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Options
    5) Right away, possibly not. I do know that they're working on it though and I'm more than happy to update the community when it's coming.

Please ask for a postponement then. Multi-client capabilities and a functioning replacement for the DQ points system need to be in place day one of integration. b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"subtraction has the butt of an angel" - Paulrogers
    I <3 Subtraction.
    /blatant sig copy is blatant

105/105/105 obtained! b:cute
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Guys

It's simple.

Improve it, make it good, make people want it. And MAKE IT OPTIONAL b:angry

No body wants things to be forced on them, I can get to Wikipedia without passing through google, I am NOT forced to use Facebook at all, i can just logoff delete my account If i wish and Still play Candy Crush.

Now stop that bull****, for ****s sake.
    [S.E.V.C.H.E.N.K.O]
  • bluestuffzzz
    bluestuffzzz Posts: 627 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Options
    For question 2, I did not say we had other members go to other games, but that I was going to try my best to bring back the life of the game with what I could, since there were not many people originally on PWI when I started. Hopefully that clears that up.

As for the rest:

1) That is your choice and your choice alone, and I can't stop you from doing what you feel. With that said, we're doing our best to continually improve security across the board, and that includes Arc. We absolutely do not want anything happening to your accounts, and I know the team is hard at work improving on security every day.

2) Everyone has to start somewhere; Steam went through the exact same thing with nobody wanting it, and look where it's at now! I understand not wanting to install more programs to try it out, but that's why we're working on making that a smoother process as well.

3) Well I wouldn't call it DRM, since that term is usually reserved for programs specifically built to stop games from being pirated. (Can't really pirate a free to play, well I mean I guess you could, but there's no point to that)

4) That's being addressed as well, with hopefully an even lighter weight launcher.

I'm always forwarding issues to the Arc team when they come up, however not many people actually give me evidence or anything that shows they have an issue. Honestly, I've had maybe 5-6 people total tell me they've had a problem, and given me some sort of way to verify it. If you genuinely do have an issue, seriously, PM me and show me/tell me what it is. I will forward it and talk to our team about it and try to get it fixed. b:pleased

Yes, but sparkie, before you even were a community manager here, people were posting issues with Arc. Heck, when Arc first came out (revamped Core Client), people didn't get any support at all. Now at best, you are able to forward their complaint/issue. However, a quick forum search will show the appropriate numbers of issues and complaints with the software, including many threads reaches 10+ pages discussing wanting Arc to be taken away and not the primary option to download and play the game through.

Not being able to multi-client will be a major issue that will make people quit. I promise you this, and will bet $50 USD on the 24 hour period of players finding out that ability of multi-clienting no longer exists, you will have the entire page of "General discussion" here on PWI-Forums littered with complaint threads on how players are not only upset that they must use Arc in order to play the game they have played for five years without that software, but also the fact that they can only log on one account per computer.

This is DRM. DRM isn't just used to stop piracy (though, it certinately can be used that way in this case), but it's also used to stop cheating with client-related hacks, stop notting (we already have legal botting, lol), and most of all - track what the player is doing. DRM is forced software that in order to use a specific piece of software or game, you must download, install, and have open while initializing said code.

Steam is also different in the sense that while they did start with no one wanting to use it... Well, it's Valve! They have more than just a few titles developed by their own company that have been successful, including well over 10,000 3rd party games, and a cloud service that syncs data + servers. Arc has nothing like that. All it offers in auto-login, input code here, mess with fake friends here, etc.

Steam is completely different, because they offer a completely different service. The only relation they have with Arc is the fact that both platforms are DRM and force the person behind the screen to use them in order to play the companies titles.
    I host an Ecatomb mirror here: ecatomb.gdevtalk.net
    I've been actively playing since late 2008.
    Youtube: youtube.com/user/thecryotonic
  • foley3k
    foley3k Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Well seeing that sparkie missed or ignored my post I will try again.
    foley3k wrote: »
    Just a question. With server plagued with mass disconnects, longer then usual maintenance times and server issues that cause down times of 7+ hours, and roll backs, why would you go through and implement arc before any of these issues are fixed?

Why does pwe sweep problems under the table and bring out new things that WILL cause new problems?

Also can you guarantee the players that arc will work 100%?

Id like an answer to all 3 questions please.
    NGTUy53.png

• Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Options
    So....you provide us with a link that redirects us back to this forum...
    Sparkieman b:surrender
    their right, it kind of leads us back in a circle.
    What sort of other information about this update are you able to put into light for us?

Also what is PWs current stance with multiclienting on ARC?
    Its really confusing with all the players saying their own thing, and atm from what the players are blabbering, i get the image that there will be no multiclienting allowed? Are you if at all vaguely able to tell us anything on this?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • Tsukyini - Raging Tide
    Tsukyini - Raging Tide Posts: 1,766 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Options
    That aside though, even if they don't, we're already working to find ways around Arc. Currently looking at modified launchers that will bypass the ability so the client doesn't look for Arc to be running when launched.

If such a method is found, do you think PWE will allow the method to be used/posted on the forum? Or will they label it as a "bannable offense" for bypassing Arc?

Considering I've seen mentions of looking for these alternative launchers without a GM poking their head in and saying it's against the rules, I'm hopeful that it would be allowed.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Some serious questions for Sparkie. (And might help to inform some of the users.)

1. What is the status of the ability for Arc to detect and integrate games that are already installed?
    Will it be available by the time this unfinished product is forced on us?
    I mean, it was fine when I could edit the xml files and point Arc to the folders where my stuff existed, but you guys messed that up. Which is understandable. Mainly because I was pulling the download locations out so we could just skip Arc entirely for getting our software.

2. For the people wearing foil hats, can you give any details on the type of cookies and data tracking?
    So far, I'm pretty positive it's mostly just add cookies and thing to gather system/client information for the purpose of logistics, and the social integration. Some clarification would be nice though.

3. How closely are you working with the game developers for the client's integration into Arc?
    Anyone who has been around long enough is familiar with the ability of the Wanmei developers to conveniently forget about the differences in our client version when sending patches and updates. Make a similar mistake with the Arc integration and a patch could render the client entirely useless. (At least until those of us who **** software find a workaround, again.)

4. Will we get the full features of Core Connect back into Arc?
    I really liked being able to connect with people I've run across, and the guild site features were really nice, especially for factions that didn't have the needs or capability to support their own websites.
    No offense, but the current functionality sucks major donkey balls.

5. Can you give us a straight answer on the DQ Point/Replacement status?
    Understand, we originally got the DQ system as a replacement for the fact that PW-CN has a botting issue and retaliated by nerfing shop prices and DQ item prices. The problem is that it's never worked very well, and as of almost 4 moths ago, it was supposed to be under the rug.
    There was a discussion started on a replacement, but everything appears to have been just forgotten and set aside, with a new focus on assaulting the user base with yet another product that isn't fully developed yet. (IMHO, Core connect was still in beta until it was taken offline recently.)
    At least let us know what the plans are for removal or replacement. We've had no real word on it since December and it's been almost entirely supported by us, the users, with the Arc site changes.

I think that's it for now. Should cover most of what's been discussed over the past 13 pages that weren't covered in your most recent response.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Found a couple of posts to reply to after I wrote my latest wall...
    ...Steam is completely different, because they offer a completely different service. The only relation they have with Arc is the fact that both platforms are DRM and force the person behind the screen to use them in order to play the companies titles.
    Actually in relation to his response, his reference to Steam is spot on.
    Where Steam used to be way back when, is basically where Arc is now. It's not at the DRM stage yet, but if PWE has pans to release any more non-free games like TorchLight was, it's a good path.
    If such a method is found, do you think PWE will allow the method to be used/posted on the forum? Or will they label it as a "bannable offense" for bypassing Arc?

Considering I've seen mentions of looking for these alternative launchers without a GM poking their head in and saying it's against the rules, I'm hopeful that it would be allowed.
    Actually, a friend of mine PM'ed me earlier with a startup string that is actually functioning right now. We'll have to wait for the actual integration to see if it's viable for starting the PWI client up, but he told me that it's been tested and is working on ESO. (More information to come later on that after further testing is done.)

The method for it isn't modifying the files in any way right now, so it manages to fit through the loophole. It's very similar to unlocking the developer tools in the PWI client to use the command for forcing the client to render when it's not in focus.

So, technically speaking, if we are able to discover such a workaround, it's very likely that it won't be considered a violation, and may actually be a requirement for being able to run the game on a non-supported platform. (Though you Mac/Linux user's may just be SOL. Which really sucks because the client can run about 10% faster on Linux than it does on the same Windows platform.)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sparkiesoft
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Some serious questions for Sparkie. (And might help to inform some of the users.)

1. What is the status of the ability for Arc to detect and integrate games that are already installed?
    Will it be available by the time this unfinished product is forced on us?
    I mean, it was fine when I could edit the xml files and point Arc to the folders where my stuff existed, but you guys messed that up. Which is understandable. Mainly because I was pulling the download locations out so we could just skip Arc entirely for getting our software.

2. For the people wearing foil hats, can you give any details on the type of cookies and data tracking?
    So far, I'm pretty positive it's mostly just add cookies and thing to gather system/client information for the purpose of logistics, and the social integration. Some clarification would be nice though.

3. How closely are you working with the game developers for the client's integration into Arc?
    Anyone who has been around long enough is familiar with the ability of the Wanmei developers to conveniently forget about the differences in our client version when sending patches and updates. Make a similar mistake with the Arc integration and a patch could render the client entirely useless. (At least until those of us who **** software find a workaround, again.)

4. Will we get the full features of Core Connect back into Arc?
    I really liked being able to connect with people I've run across, and the guild site features were really nice, especially for factions that didn't have the needs or capability to support their own websites.
    No offense, but the current functionality sucks major donkey balls.

5. Can you give us a straight answer on the DQ Point/Replacement status?
    Understand, we originally got the DQ system as a replacement for the fact that PW-CN has a botting issue and retaliated by nerfing shop prices and DQ item prices. The problem is that it's never worked very well, and as of almost 4 moths ago, it was supposed to be under the rug.
    There was a discussion started on a replacement, but everything appears to have been just forgotten and set aside, with a new focus on assaulting the user base with yet another product that isn't fully developed yet. (IMHO, Core connect was still in beta until it was taken offline recently.)
    At least let us know what the plans are for removal or replacement. We've had no real word on it since December and it's been almost entirely supported by us, the users, with the Arc site changes.

I think that's it for now. Should cover most of what's been discussed over the past 13 pages that weren't covered in your most recent response.

1) For the most part it should be working, as in if you already have it installed, it should automatically reflect that in Arc. However, I realize that's not the case with everyone, especially for PWI. I've let the team know so they can hopefully find out what is wrong and fix it.

2) It's essentially the same as what your web browser tracks, nothing any different. As for data, it's only system specs should you choose to opt-in that will help us optimize Arc. Everything else works like how your game originally ran, just now it's in Arc instead of the launcher.

3) Pretty closely actually. The team has conference calls with them daily.

4) That is the plan. Probably won't happen right away, but we're working on getting everything back and more.

5) I cannot, as I don't have the answer to that unfortunately. I know it was planned to change the system to work in Arc, but I'm not sure where it is in regards to our plans just yet.
  • Xainou - Sanctuary
    Xainou - Sanctuary Posts: 5,369 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Options
    People would be less unhappy if you didn't come out with a beta, but something that has all the features we got currently ...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Licensed tail brusher of ƙɑƙʊɱɑʊ ~ only the fluffiest
    Outrunning centaurs since 2012~
  • foley3k
    foley3k Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Options
    3rd times a charm?
    Just a question. With server plagued with mass disconnects, longer then usual maintenance times and server issues that cause down times of 7+ hours, and roll backs, why would you go through and implement arc before any of these issues are fixed?

Why does pwe sweep problems under the table and bring out new things that WILL cause new problems?

NGTUy53.png

• Selak - Dreamweaver
    Selak - Dreamweaver Posts: 462 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Sry Sparkie but your argument about Steam and other such front ends holds very little weight with me.

I repair other peoples machines all the time in my area with most customers being either family, friends or home users with some business customers as well and I must say that in the 238 people I have on the books only 2 actually have and use and like Steam or other such frontends and this has led me to the belief that there are ~115 who do not use and refuse to use them for every one who does.

What this tells me is, the gaming companies are missing out on a lot more revenue than they like to think.

This demographic may change in other areas but I doubt that as where I live most people are moderately affluent.

Maybe you should actually survey PC repair techs and find out what their customers actually do on average with their machines instead of just looking at figures about their current usage supplied by companies such as Steam off the net useage, who might I say have a vested interest in maintaining the status quo.

Heck I have many customers who refuse to buy some single player games because they require a Steam account just to update and ask for hacks to bypass this need.

Just some food for thought.
    There are old Warriors, and bold Warriors,
    but there are very few old bold Warriors. b:chuckle
  • Kristina_t - Heavens Tear
    Kristina_t - Heavens Tear Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Options
    3) Pretty closely actually. The team has conference calls with them daily.

Certain people need to hang up that ancient BS excuse they use for every situation "But the devs are in China.. yada yada yada" after this admission.

edited March 2014
    Options
    Certain people need to hang up that ancient BS excuse they use for every situation "But the devs are in China.. yada yada yada" after this admission.

Well, the devs are in China, and the conversion of the Chinese client into our specialized English version is what causes most of the issues. Also, that level of communication was not the case until recently.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Vespi - Harshlands
    Vespi - Harshlands Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Options

But we cant get a gm to come to the game a few times a day to stop the bot spamming that site?

Just postpone it, pretend it was all an April fools joke, keep arc as it is now completely optional, and start to fix the little things, get people to trust to PWE again then do this. I dont want arc because i dont trust PWE to do anything right, I'd barely trust them to put a ball in the circular hole of a children's toy.
    Between not telling us about blessing going down, not having a replacement for the Dqrewards, Goons, D-orbs, the recent east coast d/c + NW tokens, why would I trust Arc is going to have/do anything of value?
    "Agorey has the butt of an angel" - Cytte
    I <3 Agorey
  • Zoldi - Morai
    Zoldi - Morai Posts: 1,595 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Options
    People would be less unhappy if you didn't come out with a beta, but something that has all the features we got currently ...

Totally...

I don't know why they always rush everything without testing/fixing it correctly....

@PWE : Guyz, if everything is not working properly yet, just delay the go live, as every IT team would do elsewhere...
    ~ Sage Mystic 105-105-105 ~
    ~ Sage Sin 103-103-102 ~
    ~ Sage vita Barb 103-102-101 ~
    ~ Sage BM 102-101 ~ Demon Archer 102 ~
    ~ Sage Cleric 102 ~ Demon Wizard 101 ~
    ~ Sage Seeker 101 ~ Sage Psy 101 ~
    ~ Sage Heavy Veno 101 ~ Demon Storm 9X ~ Dusk 6x ~
    Started playing this game in 2007 on Oracle (PW-MY) : Demon MG 101 - Sage EP 99 - WF 89
  • sparkiesoft
    edited March 2014
    Options

1) Those are generally all separate issues and really don't involve Arc. If the server is going to crash, it's going to crash regardless of Arc or not. In a perfect world, these issues would not exist, but it happens.

2) We're not really sweeping, we're just trying to fix what we can the quickest, while working on other things, then getting back to what else needs to be addressed. If we only stuck to one issue, and never worked on anything else, than we wouldn't be going anywhere.

3) There's no guarantees in life.(Well death and taxes :p) As much as I would love to say yes, you can't realistically expect something to work in your favor 100% of the time; it's just not probable. That doesn't mean we aren't going to try to make it the best it possibly can be though.