Guest Blog Discussion

sparkiesoft
sparkiesoft Posts: 47
edited April 2014 in Official Announcements
Feel free to discuss your, or other players work here. Remember the rules, no flaming/shaming and keep it PG-13.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Asterelle - Sanctuary
    Asterelle - Sanctuary Posts: 930 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Is there any functionality at all available to us with a guest blog that we don't have available as a forum post? In the forums we are limited to BB code which doesn't allow for things like HTML tables. I'm assuming though we are going to be able to use arbitrary HTML? Can we embed CSS? Maybe javascript?

If the content you're interested in is literally the same stuff that would normally be posted to the forums then I don't see any advantage to using the new blog format.
    [sigpic][/sigpic]
    PWI Calculators - aster.ohmydays.net/pw
  • sparkiesoft
    edited March 2014
    Is there any functionality at all available to us with a guest blog that we don't have available as a forum post? In the forums we are limited to BB code which doesn't allow for things like HTML tables. I'm assuming though we are going to be able to use arbitrary HTML? Can we embed CSS? Maybe javascript?

If the content you're interested in is literally the same stuff that would normally be posted to the forums then I don't see any advantage to using the new blog format.

We used to use Wordpress for our blogs, so if you can do it there than it should not be an issue. Granted, we have a new system now but I think we can make most of what you're asking, work. At any rate, if an issue does come up we'll work with you/the winner to get it squared away.
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    My question is...do we write the guide on the forums and use it as an entry and if it wins, we discuss with those in charge of the site/blogs/whatever to change it to the appropriate format? The blog thing is kinda confusing me.

Another question is...if a guide that's already on the forum wins, is it going to get moved? What I'm concerned about is that moving a thread/guide to a different place might cause said guide to be overlooked. For example, Venomancers will go to the Venomancer sub-forum to search for Venomancer-related topics, guides and help. Same goes with every other class. In that case, having said guide on the original place and new place at the same time would be the best option.
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands
    Xx_BeLLa_xX - Harshlands Posts: 7,231 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    My question is...do we write the guide on the forums and use it as an entry and if it wins, we discuss with those in charge of the site/blogs/whatever to change it to the appropriate format? The blog thing is kinda confusing me.

Same I find that all really confusing.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

b:dirty "I **** rainbows and love everyone"-Longknife b:cute
  • sparkiesoft
    edited March 2014

Another question is...if a guide that's already on the forum wins, is it going to get moved? What I'm concerned about is that moving a thread/guide to a different place might cause said guide to be overlooked. For example, Venomancers will go to the Venomancer sub-forum to search for Venomancer-related topics, guides and help. Same goes with every other class. In that case, having said guide on the original place and new place at the same time would be the best option.

I'd say try using an a blog website to create your blog. Most of these have a preview function that will give you a direct link to what your blog will end up looking like. However, you may also just copy+paste it into the forums as an entry along with the link, so we can get a general idea of what it will look like.

Worse comes to worse and all you can do is post on the forums, I can easily work around that and create/use any images you had in mind and do that for you/the winner. I know it's a little confusing at the moment, which is why we are still hammering out the details as we think of them. Like I said though, I don't mind working 1 on 1 with the winner in order to get it looking how they want it.

The guides won't be moved. The blog will be different enough to distinguish itself from the guide on the forums simply because it will have text and images, and well, look more blog like. Also, the guide will be hosted on the front page, and if anything, we can have it link to the original guide as well.

Hopefully that makes sense, but if not let me know.
  • Desdi - Sanctuary
    Desdi - Sanctuary Posts: 8,680 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    That clears up a lot of things, thanks for the answers!
    [SIGPIC]http://i.imgur.com/MtwcqjL.png[/SIGPIC]
    ★ Venomancer videos - tinyurl.com/k6ppkw4 ★ Desdi - Demon ♪ Wyvelin - Sage ★
  • sparkiesoft
    edited March 2014
    That clears up a lot of things, thanks for the answers!

No problem!
  • CapnK - Sanctuary
    CapnK - Sanctuary Posts: 1,166 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    When is the final due date for submissions?
  • sparkiesoft
    edited March 2014
    When is the final due date for submissions?

This Friday, 3/14. However, that may change depending on whether or not we get submissions.

Here's more info: http://community.arcgames.com/en/news/pwi/detail/3036113-new-forum-events_
  • CapnK - Sanctuary
    CapnK - Sanctuary Posts: 1,166 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Yeah, an extension would be nice. One week isn't much time for a writing contest.
  • sparkiesoft
    edited March 2014
    Yeah, an extension would be nice. One week isn't much time for a writing contest.

Ya that looks like what I'll do for the next one. Only one submission so far, so seems like people need more time.
  • drheal
    drheal Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Hello PWI,

Please check my submission for the Money Making Guide in PWI!

http://ragingtidespwi.wordpress.com/the-money-making-mini-guide-perfect-world-international/

Your feedback is welcomed!

Spellb:bye