PvP Guide for Barbs

Options
TankedBeast - Lost City
TankedBeast - Lost City Posts: 136 Arc User
edited September 2014 in Barbarian
A post was recently made by omegai asking for a PvP guide. Since no one else had knowledge of one, a couple of us tried to give some advice. So, I am going to try to make one now for all to see, and possibly get stickied once it has been refined to be a decent guide.

Okay this is one that I posted for my Guild Forum and edited; taking in points from other players and censoring.

FIRST OFF: Always have Beastial Rage activated. The chi gain and the magic shield really helps in a tight spot.

-Blood Bath is a good thing to use for High Dex classes. Mighty swing is your friend when fighting high dex classes. 100% accuracy come in real handy. Another skill to spam while Mighty Swing is in cool down is Bestial Onslaught, which lowers evasion.

-A good thing to use on AA users is True Emptiness (genie skill that deals loads of damage to AA users), especially in the air seeing how it does 3x the damage in the air.

-79+ Violent Triumph is a good skill to use to avoid stuns/movement debuffs. When trying to keep someone stunned, use mighty swing for its stun, and right before its stun wears off, use Untamed Wrath. The 1 second stun by itself sucks, but that 1 second will give you enough time to use Mighty swing again.

-Invoke is a good thing to use if the person you are fighting isn't going to run off, or if you are getting ganked.

-Devour/Penetrate armor is always a good thing to use to lower defense, making you hit harder.

-For casters, use Alacrity to cancel if you are in tiger form, or Mighty Swing/ Untamed Wrath to stun them, canceling their skill.

NOW FOR INDIVIDUAL CLASSES

BMs are a tough one though, they have a good amount of phys. defense and deal a good bit of damage also. They love to keep me stun locked. So a fight between a bm and a barb is 50/50, just depends on skill. If you are 79+ try to use Violent Triumph. It will make you immune to their stuns for 10 seconds, but has a 60 second cooldown. So use it wisely.

Wizzies are usually another one of those harder classes to kill for barbs. If I'm at any distance, I have on hard time getting to them (due to their slow, stun, freeze skills). This is another time you would use Violent Triumph to get close the them.

Sins are easy unless they get the first hit and keep me stunned, or are simply really high APS and kill me before I can stun them. Try to get the first hit off with Mighty Swing and hope you stun them. If one of those sneaky sins try to go stealth on you and you are 79+, use your Untamed Wrath skill on something nearby. It will unstealth them if they are within range. <<very useful.

Psychics just make sure you watch for their Soul Burn and their skill that makes them immune to physical damage. I just use Absolute Domain (genie skill making me immune to damage for 3 secs) and Beastial Rage and kill them. They deal a great deal of damage, but are very squishy.

Archers are another weird class to fight. They love to stun/freeze me then run away and attack me more. I try to run the opposite way so they have to run towards me, then flip a 180 and charge them and turn on Untamed Wrath so I can get close enough to kill em. Try to stun/freeze them and kill them in 3-5 hits.

Clerics I would suggest you try to stun them first, because if they seal you or stack Iron Heart then it will be difficult to kill them quickly.

Barbs are pretty much the same as Bms. Just gotta fight it out, use good choices with skills/buffs (i.e. blood bath). Barb vs. Barb= lots of charm ticks and a long fight. Not a lot of advice to give on this one. Just keep pounding until you kill them.

Venos have gotten a little harder to kill. Most have learned to use Bramble Guard and pull out their nix and just keep running, letting their nix bleed me to death. Their bramble lets me kill myself while I'm hitting them. Best thing to do is use True Emptiness again and try to one shot them, if they are AA. If you are unable to do so, then use Untamed Wrath to stun them and their pet. It doesn't last but 1 second, but that will inturrupt everything they are doing. Making the veno an easy target for quick attacks and stops their nix from bleeding you. Until the recover that is. If the veno pulls out a pet that does phys damage, ignore it. You can kill the veno before the pet gets you.

--Most of this guide I am assuming no charm. If they have a charm, use the same general technique; just try to use regular or low skills until their charm ticks then pull out your big guns. A big gun to use is your Armageddon skill. Use this as a ending attack only! Unless you are absolutely sure you can 1 shot them or kill them before they realize what happened. A good way to get more damage out of Armageddon is to use Tree of Protection on your genie, wait one second for your hp to jump up, then use Armageddon. The damage is tremendous.

USEFUL THINGS FOR PVP
1) Genies built correctly makes life easier. I personally don't have a genie built just for PvP as of now (I can't get one to build up with decent LP), but Tree of Protection is simply awesome to have for any situation. ToP is probably my most used skill when I'm in a tight spot. I use Holy Path all the time also. I use that to catch up to Kiters or just to get a jump on my opponent. Occult Ice is another good one to have, since it has a chance to Freeze your enemies. This will also help with those pesky little Kiters. Tangling Mire can also change the direction of a fight by lowering your opponents defense. True Emptiness amazes me sometimes. If you build your genie's stats right, you can one hit AA users, especially if they are in the air. Solid Shield seems to be a quite popular skill also, it is like a mini Invoke. It can save lives.

2) Apothecary items are another good thing to use. Accuracy pots will come in very handy with high dex classes, or simply if you have very low accuracy (as I do, being a pure Tank/Vit Barb). For healing, I tend to use Crab Meat, which heals I think 3000 hp over like 10 seconds. These are can be attained through the PW Boutique Agent, it takes 9 tokens for 50 Crab Meat. Not a bad deal. For MP, I just use either large or Condensed Mana potions, because those can pretty much fill up my MP bar (Barbs rarely add any magic, so our MP stays quite low). I know some Barbs who use Herbs that give 5000 mp for 10 seconds if they are going to be spamming skills. The Herbs also can be traded at the Boutique Agent for tokens, they only take three tokens for 50 if I'm not mistaken.

3) Sharding your gear, I'd say shard all your amour with either Citrines for HP or Garnets for Physical Defense. I personally Shard everything with Citrines, but as I said before, I am a Pure Tank/Vit Barb (I am just supposed to be a meat shield :D)... Garnets can also be very useful when fighting other melee classes. Some have suggested sharding for Magic Defense, since Barbs naturally have high pdef and HP and you can attain more HP by refining your armour. This is a little unorthodox, but I can see how it would be very useful, both for PvP and PvE.

4) Sharding weapons, I shard using Ambers for accuracy. The most annoying thing in the world is when your opponent is almost dead, you miss, and they crit you and you die. Plus missing on Armageddon always sucks. Some say to add a Garnet to your weapon, but I wouldn't suggest it. That extra damage can be attained by refining your weapon.

Hope this helps everyone out! Now go out there and create some chaos!

Please feel free to leave positive/productive input. Derogatory statements help no one. Thanks!
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Leader of Sangnati (Latin for Blood Born/Nation)
We can be your best friend... Or your worst enemy...
Which would you prefer?
b:sin
100 Sage/Vit/Tank Barb
101 Demon/Fist/5.0 BM
Yes, 5.0 really is OP. Yet, I still got it... b:chuckle
Post edited by TankedBeast - Lost City on

Comments

• SteelStar - Heavens Tear
    SteelStar - Heavens Tear Posts: 469 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Excellent Job.
    They should sticky this. b:victory
    It's a game and I'm proud to be a stupid fail demon barb!
    My EPIC Fail Demon Barb has 40k/48k HP and my stat points are as follows:
    VIT 552 STR 310 DEX 60! b:surrender
    edited December 2010
    Options
    You should add:

All you really need no matter the situation is to get a genie with ToP and a handful of accuracy pots.

Get your massive hp vit barb to drop from the sky in to a group of people with your zerk axes and:

1. Hit ToP and Pot a accuracy pot
    2. ARMAGEDDON
    (5-31k b:dirty)
    3. GTFO

b:laugh
  • Knownase - Heavens Tear
    Knownase - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,959 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Very nice guide, might want to add a "Tools of the Trade" section or something like that. Introduce various items like apoth pots, genie skill ideas, unique combos. etc. lol
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    b:flowerHave a Techno Rave Flower!b:flower

-Self-Proclaimed TW commentator of HT-
    -Certified Barbarian Master-
    -You gained +10 coolness points for viewing this signature-
    -Master of Coffee-
  • rottsx2
    rottsx2 Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Having a gold genie helps in pvp. Have true emptiness, holy path, extreme poison, occult ice, tangle mire, ToP, absolute domain. I made my genie very high in strength.(95) with these skulls lvl 10 true empti has crit at 35k. I can 1 shot most 7x and some 8x.
    Holy path is great with wiz and archer. There is no way for them to get distance from you when you use thus and it doesn't consume a lot of energy. The wizzo and archer like that distance . Use holy path, occult ice for a 5 second stun, game over for them.

When u decide to pvp a BM be careful if they are using deicides. If they got 5 aps it's a tough fight for u. If this happens they may try to stun u . If not, use invoke then devour and genie tangle mire to really lower there pdef. Go human form and hit hard u will see great damage done.

Clerics, only cleric I have had a problem with was r8 +12 everything. He can 1 hit me and I got 20k hp. Besides that exception, just use occult ice and kill them quick.

A good sin who knows there skills can be tough. If they use occult ice on you then stun soon as it ends you are in a bad spot with no outs. Not a fun fight. If you can hit them first with occult ice or true empti in the air, the fight is yours.if this misses go tiger, invoke and hang in there till u can get some offense going. This is meant for pvp against a good sin. Sins are fun to pvp.

Veno with nix, I have yet to lose a pvp against one. In the air just go right at them. If the veno is HA u might have to use tangle mire to reduce pdef . Just stun, and go at them hard. A good veno with nix constantly moves making it hard for you to get them while the bird hits ya. Some just sit there thinking they are going to 2 hit ya. The ones that move make it a great fight.

Not much to say about psychics. Only met 1 and it wasn't good for him.

Other barbs, same lvl, tangle mire to reduce pdef then occult ice. If they are demon, and 3 spark go tiger use invoke, devour then u can 3 spark when theirs has ended .

Be careful with Armageddon. A good pvp person will wait for u to use it. Then kill u when u are down 1/2 your hp. If u can get there godown 1/2 way use occult ice then arma, you will be safe from them killing you. Not much they can do when stunned .

Also, have a good weapon and refine it . use garnet gems if you can afford it. A good weapon makes a differnce as does good refined armor.

Hope this helps!
  • Zoroaster - Harshlands
    Zoroaster - Harshlands Posts: 184 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    if your in tw and a demon barb its easy to kill sins and BM even with high dps and even if they out number you just use roar demon when you got ganked by malee ppl and they will kill them self cause of 100% dmg reflect too bad it doesnt work in world pvp on pwib:surrender
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination. b:laugh
  • X_Castillo_X - Raging Tide
    X_Castillo_X - Raging Tide Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Wow, you guys are awesome b:victory thanks again
  • TankedBeast - Lost City
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I added a section talking about genie's, pots, and sharding. Keep the suggestions coming. I'd love to get this stickied so it doesn't get burried, then get spammed with "How to PvP?" threads by pple who can't use the Search button b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Which would you prefer?
    100 Sage/Vit/Tank Barb
    101 Demon/Fist/5.0 BM
  • Watain - Raging Tide
    Watain - Raging Tide Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    WTB Demon Roar b:cry

I find it quite usefull to use True Emptiness on a Veno's Nix...
    If you are lucky enough and the Genie crits, the Nix is either a 1-shot, or I just Devour, Flesh Ream or whatever to take it out. But you have to be fast enough to make sure the Veno doesn't throw in a heal. With the Nix down, Venos are usually no problem...

My 2 cents...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Can everyone post what they think are the best skills/build for a genie for a barb? I personally am not quite sure the best skills for a barb on a genie. A little help for me and everyone else would be appreciated. Thanks!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Which would you prefer?
    100 Sage/Vit/Tank Barb
    101 Demon/Fist/5.0 BM
  • Watain - Raging Tide
    Watain - Raging Tide Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Can everyone post what they think are the best skills/build for a genie for a barb? I personally am not quite sure the best skills for a barb on a genie. A little help for me and everyone else would be appreciated. Thanks!

Uhm. I currently have an Infliction lvl 100

STR 85
    DEX 10
    MAG 47

LP 71/100

Tree Of Protection lvl 10
    Holy Path lvl 10
    True Emptiness lvl 10
    Tangling Mire lvl 10
    Cloud Erruption lvl 1

Last skill I hope to get is Occult Ice, for reasons posted in the previous posts.
    I think its a great all-round genie. I also have a Zeal for stuff like Delta, with Alpha Male, Holy Path, ToP and Absolute Domain.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Knownase - Heavens Tear
    Knownase - Heavens Tear Posts: 6,959 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Skills from genie I think are great for Barbs:

Tree of Protection
    Holy Path
    Frenzy
    Occult Ice
    Cloud Eruption
    Absolute Domain
    Solid Shield
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    b:flowerHave a Techno Rave Flower!b:flower

-Self-Proclaimed TW commentator of HT-
    -Certified Barbarian Master-
    -You gained +10 coolness points for viewing this signature-
    -Master of Coffee-
  • Kyrael - Dreamweaver
    Kyrael - Dreamweaver Posts: 140 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Y'know, I just came onto barb forums to ask about PvP skills to level, and this is first on the page. b:chuckle Quite well done, too.

I've also been wondering what to put on my genie when I get one with decent LP (3/20 so far... b:sad ), and this helped for that too.

b:thanks Thanks.
    edited December 2010
    Options
    b:victory Glad we could help Kyrael. And thanks guys for the Genie input. I'll wait for a few more pple to post about them, so i can get a good picture of what skills pop up the most. Thanks again!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Which would you prefer?
    100 Sage/Vit/Tank Barb
    101 Demon/Fist/5.0 BM
  • RobertDutu - Lost City
    RobertDutu - Lost City Posts: 38 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    You should add:

All you really need no matter the situation is to get a genie with ToP and a handful of accuracy pots.

Get your massive hp vit barb to drop from the sky in to a group of people with your zerk axes and:

1. Hit ToP and Pot a accuracy pot
    2. ARMAGEDDON
    (5-31k b:dirty)
    3. GTFO

b:laugh
    ...and then rubberband while dropping. Feels bad man. b:surrender
    I am Jack's raging bile duct.
  • rottsx2
    rottsx2 Posts: 29 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    i carry 2 genies. 1 for pve and the other pvp.

pve currently has :
    solid shield
    alpha male
    tangle mire
    relentless courage
    reflective aura
    also with this genie i tend to add/remove skills from time to time

pvp genie has:
    extreme poison
    occult ice
    true empti
    tree of prot
    tangle mire
    holy path

hope this helps ya
    edited December 2010
    Options
    ...and then rubberband while dropping. Feels bad man. b:surrender

Hopefully someday they will fix this issue.... for now just hope for the best. b:chuckle
  • Axelire - Heavens Tear
    Axelire - Heavens Tear Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Bump. I don't understand why this in-progress guide isn't stickied. We currently don't have a PvP guide, and this thread has a good collection of basic PvP tips.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ichigo4zen
    ichigo4zen Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    hmmm, whats the low down on Solid Shield, is it really worth getting?
  • Furries - Dreamweaver
    Furries - Dreamweaver Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited December 2010
    Options
    while i done have any PK experience. i do a lot of duels.
    i am a pure tiger barb (demon)

so here are some key tips
    Vs high dex classes Flesh ream never misses
    while the damage over time may not be much until demon, actually hitting ur target is important.

devour:
    this is great for heavy classes reducing physical def

frighten: this lowered physical damage by 30%, for vs melee classes. and the slow is helpful vs runners.

Surf impact is good for the slow and for chi.

alacrity is key big skills such as BIDS and tempest and can also be used to freeze runners

and beatsl rage is free chi as well has a magic damage shied if used while under 50% health.

invoke can save ur life if u see them demon/sage spark

sunder is great for heals and does decent damage.

and sparking can be used to resist and heal

posion fang is great to have lvled up vs those bms who use alter phyical.
    they usually forget about this

the hardest fight u can pick IMO is vs a veno.
    bramble hood prevents u from attacking while they hit you for alot. i usally invoke when they do this. purge EVIL to have to face but again invoke cannot be purged. and they have amp.

all around not a fun fight
    Killing level 80's with a lvl 60 is a lot more fun than killing level 90's with a level 100.
    edited December 2010
    Options
    Thanks for the input, Furries. I'm a Sage barb, so its nice to see the opposite side some times.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Which would you prefer?
    100 Sage/Vit/Tank Barb
    101 Demon/Fist/5.0 BM
  • IDecision - Raging Tide
    IDecision - Raging Tide Posts: 120 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Good guide :)
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Recently edited to add color/effects and compacting the guide.. make it easier to read.. I tried to reread it to check for errors.. and i was bored to death.. lmao.. The color helps b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Which would you prefer?
    100 Sage/Vit/Tank Barb
    101 Demon/Fist/5.0 BM
  • Kyrael - Dreamweaver
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I vote for sticky, by the way. (:
    I'll post with my own input as my barb slowly levels. n.n
  • krittycat
    krittycat Posts: 4,187 Community Moderator
    edited January 2011
    Options
    "Ask and you shall receive..."

Stickied! b:victory
  • Kyrael - Dreamweaver
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Kritty gets a happy face from me for the sticky. b:cute

Edit to ask a question and not double post:
    So, my barb is 4x at the moment (I stayed at 36 for a long time to farm rough fur/purified oil and got two genies to 36 on leftover exp), and spirit is tight even with BHs. So, I know which skills are PvP priority and which are PvE, but for the lower levels (around 4x to 6x), what are the main skills I should focus on PvP-wise? So far I've been farming spirit as I stayed at one level, and managed to update all the skills I wanted by the time I decided to get to 40, but I know I can't do that too often.

So, in order of priorities for PvP, what should I focus on at these levels?
    My current priorities have been, in no particular order:
    Mighty Swing
    Devour
    Penetrate Armor
    Poison Fang
    Shapeshifting Intensify
    Flesh Ream
    Axe&Hammer Mastery
    Oh, and Beast King's Inspiration, for obvious reasons.

I've casually updated others that are convenient, but not much.
    Opinions on priorities for maxing? (I know FR and mastery are the uber obvious ones for PvP and PvE, and those will always be up to date) I PK some in both my forms, so I've tried to keep main skills updated.

Also, is Slam going to be useful PvP-wise for damage, or is that a PvE focused skill?

/noobquestions
  • Krisnda - Lost City
    Krisnda - Lost City Posts: 1,465 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Their bramble lets me kill myself while I'm hitting them.

If I'm not mistaken, Bramble doesn't work in PvP, just in duels. Excellent guide though. :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    A good moderator should:
    - Have the computer skills necessary to handle forum-related tasks (Web skills, basic programming)
    - Be patient to handle all sorts of requests
    - Be level-headed to keep discussions and some petty squabbles in check.b:cool
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Bramble Hood is what i meant. Ky, you have pretty much the correct general idea on what to be leveling. Slam is good as a filler skill, or if you need to do some damage while getting ganked. THANKS FOR THE STICKY!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Which would you prefer?
    100 Sage/Vit/Tank Barb
    101 Demon/Fist/5.0 BM
  • Kyrael - Dreamweaver
    edited January 2011
    Options
    Thanks for the input. b:cute I've started noticing that skill spamming is doing more than normal attacks (not used to that because of playing a sin), so I think I'm gonna be stocking up on MP pots soon... b:shocked b:avoid
  • Furries - Dreamweaver
    Furries - Dreamweaver Posts: 966 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    great guide and grants on the sticky.

however there is one thing i think should be noted.

you say to always have betial rage activated in duels.

i don't aggree with that, not 100% atleast.

while bestial rage is great for getting chi in melee duels. when fighting casters, its MUCH more useful to save for when you get under half health.

the magic absorbion sheild (2k magic damage (4k demon/sage)) will only turn on if u activate bestial rage under 50% health. getting lower below 50% with it active wont put up the shield.
    not using bestial rage at the start and saving it for while when i get lower than half health as saved my tail countless times. espiaclly since the damage is aborbs is efftively 4x higher than with mobs becuase ur taking 4x less.

i really think people tend forget that bestial rage has this second effect.
    Killing level 80's with a lvl 60 is a lot more fun than killing level 90's with a level 100.
  • DieselBlack - Lost City
    DieselBlack - Lost City Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Options
    I use Top, Impact, occult ice, for my pvp genie Impact since I use mostly str on genie seems to work pretty good I gotta go get TE.