EVENT: October Calendar Contest Winners!

Options
13»

Comments

• _CaTrinka_ - Heavens Tear
    _CaTrinka_ - Heavens Tear Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I see what you're talking about now
  • DivineMaiden - Dreamweaver
    DivineMaiden - Dreamweaver Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Despite being late, I had her 'written permission' now. I wish next time you actually contact the contestant first though or post with your real character? Have a nice day PWI...by all mean I hope you keep it up for all future contests.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ophida - Dreamweaver
    Ophida - Dreamweaver Posts: 971 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    To be fair, what is posted is DivineMaiden's own work. She drew and inked the picture. It's not just a copy/paste job with a signature on it. The pose was taken from that picture, true enough. But DivineMaiden has modified the details etc. making the concept the photographer's but the artwork her own. Therefore, "theft" is a rather strong word to use in this case. The only people to know exactly when permission was sought to use the photo are the owner of the photograph itself and DivineMaiden, so I think it's best that people stop speculating. Not everything is public on the internet - pm's are one such thing that isn't.

On a slightly related note, I think DivineMaiden is very talented and the realism in her entry is really fantastic!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    tempest-dw.shivtr.com
  • Thelegion - Lost City
    Thelegion - Lost City Posts: 256 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    No, you did that today or yesterday, before it was like this: 1,2. I hope you learned something out of all this. Good to know you gave her credit though, despite being late.

I wonder why an noob acc to make a false statament, U not part of the solution but also of the problem.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kagheryu - Sanctuary
    Kagheryu - Sanctuary Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Are you kidding me? I guess it's my fault, that's what I get for wanting an artist to be given credit and to be notified before or immediately after an image is done and not 2-3 weeks later ( after a certain 'someone' is exposed for using someone else work without permission ). Next time I see someone using Photoshop's Filter Option on some leaves on a picture and painting over the the face and body I will simply shut up. None seems to care. I'm even being accused of false statement. I'll take my leave now, have fun and enjoy the future contests.
  • Cernunnosx - Heavens Tear
    Cernunnosx - Heavens Tear Posts: 384 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    TBH they should make these comps Original artwork only ( or made using PW screenshots only ), no using others work etc even with their permission.

The contest should be about how good YOU are at art, not how good you are at searching the net for images
  • eatwithspoons
    eatwithspoons Posts: 54 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
  • Kittennice - Heavens Tear
    Kittennice - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I believe Cernunnosx sums it up, Spoons. Well, that's why I am a bit on the fritz. It doesn't matter if they win or not. What matters is that someone can take art from another person (permission or non) and use it in an art contest that is suppose to be the submitter's work. To me it's like taking a picture from a coloring book, coloring it and saying you drew it. Yes, you bought the book, but it still isn't your entire work >.>. This also makes everyone else do the same and it's just a contest of who can find the best picture on the internet. Not who is actually talented.

But it isn't my place to go against your judging and all. >.< Just my rant on explaining what I feel. I just want a contest that contains 100% submitter's work and not 50%.
    The VenoX: Heavy Pure Melee (Axe User with a hint of magic) Venomancer and Proud
    Having fun since lv1
    5 more levels baby!
    ^_____^
    {=^.^=} < I'll never give up. Never give in. )

I'm for The Cursed!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=656132
  • FatherTed - Dreamweaver
    FatherTed - Dreamweaver Posts: 3,723 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I believe Cernunnosx sums it up, Spoons. Well, that's why I am a bit on the fritz. It doesn't matter if they win or not. What matters is that someone can take art from another person (permission or non) and get it accepted. To me it's like taking a picture from a coloring book, coloring it and saying you drew it. Yes, you bought the book, but it still isn't your entire work >.>. This also makes everyone else do the same and it's just a contest of who can find the best picture on the internet.

Would you like to be in charge of going back through time and judging which pieces of art are totally original and which were inspired by other artists?

It's one thing if you want to whine about the people who copy/paste other peoples' stuff - but if you want to include in that the people who totally recreate something they have seen with the original artist's permission - that's a different story.

We aren't talking about someone who pasta'ed a copy of the Mono Lisa and drew a moustache here, ffs. This is someone who saw a photo of something they liked, and totally reproduced it in a different style and with different skills with permission from the photographer.

Makes me think most of you folks are just looking for something to whine about, tbh.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thanks for the sig Ophida :3
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Would you like to be in charge of going back through time and judging which pieces of art are totally original and which were inspired by other artists?

It's one thing if you want to whine about the people who copy/paste other peoples' stuff - but if you want to include in that the people who totally recreate something they have seen with the original artist's permission - that's a different story.

We aren't talking about someone who pasta'ed a copy of the Mono Lisa and drew a moustache here, ffs. This is someone who saw a photo of something they liked, and totally reproduced it in a different style and with different skills with permission from the photographer.

Makes me think most of you folks are just looking for something to whine about, tbh.

Not really and this isnt about this piece of art inparticular, but about the contest in general... this isnt the first time it has happened
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Not really and this isnt about this piece of art inparticular, but about the contest in general... this isnt the first time it has happened

I think you are missing the point. Someone basing a new piece of art off of a photograph with permission from the original artist is just a tiny little bit completely different from those people in the past who have simply stolen artwork to submit it.

If you want to deal with the people who steal art for these competitions, I'm right there with you - but if you tie DivineMaiden's entry into it then I will fight it. Two different stories by far.

Stolen art is a problem, there's no doubt about it. Art inspired by someone else and produced with their approval is a different story.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2009
    Options

If you want to deal with the people who steal art for these competitions, I'm right there with you - but if you tie DivineMaiden's entry into it then I will fight it. Two different stories by far.

I want them to be 100% original artwork by the person who entered... how it should be imho
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I want them to be 100% original artwork by the person who entered... how it should be imho

Seriously?

How do you decide what is 100% original?

I could show you things that would tie most of the historically famous art pieces to other pre-existing art.

Art itself is about interpretation combined with originality.

As long as the entrant can show that their entry is their work and does not include someone else's work directly in the sense of a copy pasta - I don't know what you could possibly want.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Kittennice - Heavens Tear
    Kittennice - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,744 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options

No, I would not.
    It does not have to be original. I am saying for it not to be a total copy (Like looking exactly the same just a different style/ to actually need permission for it).
    And an inspiration is a spark; an idea one gets.
    For example:

Family Guy

This show is unoriginal and does take some theme parts of the old show, The Simpsons. However, you can tell the difference between these shows. The Simpsons was an inspiration to Family Guy.

Another example is:

Sonic the Hedgehog

This is an original character that was created from an idea of Dragon Ball Z to make super sonic. Dragon Ball Z was an inspiration to Sonic. Sonic only took a few ideas from the anime and made it his own.

Look at above examples.
    We aren't talking about someone who pasta'ed a copy of the Mono Lisa and drew a moustache here, ffs. This is someone who saw a photo of something they liked, and totally reproduced it in a different style and with different skills with permission from the photographer.Makes me think most of you folks are just looking for something to whine about, tbh.

Hint hint. If they totally reproduced it, they wouldn't need permission.

For example:

A person laying in the leaves.

Now to totally reproduce it would be making a person that does not look similar (must do)/ add another person or persons beside them/ changing the laying position/ changing the clothes/ adding other items/ and, etc.

Something like that, where you don't need permission for it (if the original is suppose to be an inspiration).

That sums up what I was talking about. Sorry if it was not clear before.
    The VenoX: Heavy Pure Melee (Axe User with a hint of magic) Venomancer and Proud
    Having fun since lv1
    5 more levels baby!
    ^_____^
    {=^.^=} < I'll never give up. Never give in. )

I'm for The Cursed!
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=656132
  • Liske - Lost City
    Liske - Lost City Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I don't mind that a honorable mention based her self painted and adjusted submission on a existing picture... Who cares really... Well pained btw. I bet she put in more work than some of the winners...

What i want to know is... what does that corsair outfit look like!

How about a winner take a screenshot and post huh? huh?
  • Toxickiss - Heavens Tear
    Toxickiss - Heavens Tear Posts: 152 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I was wondering where the Corsair Set is? I did not receive mine and maintenance is over. If there is a problem with the outfit I understand, but maybe you could send the winners a different prize then. I've noticed the Bulbfish mount was mentioned a lot in the contest thread and I know I would like one. Maybe send us one of those for us waiting so patiently. b:thanks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • eatwithspoons
    edited October 2009
    Options
    chill! I'll send them out in a whileb:chuckle

Everyone else having their debate: I encourage you to find a way to check every single possible source image and cross reference it with each of the 135 entries we received. If you have found a way to do this, please PM me to tell me how.

If not, please understand that we make a concerted effort to weed out unoriginal pieces, but given the breadth of the art world it is absolutely impossible to completely prevent this.

That's what we call /thread
    edited October 2009
    Options
    chill! I'll send them out in a whileb:chuckle

KK I'm and Icicle!! b:cold Thanks for the update! b:flower
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ophida - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2009
    Options
    So, I know that I for one have been itching to see what the corsair outfit looks like. Well
    here it is.

25ez4wh.png

ya'll don't know nothin 'bout the pimp game b:cool

*thankies Spoons & co.*
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    tempest-dw.shivtr.com
    edited October 2009
    Options
    b:victory

That's so badass
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Bebisito - Dreamweaver
    Bebisito - Dreamweaver Posts: 149 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    A big congrats to everyone, especially those four Placid members! You guys did a good job. b:victory

I love Greychan's submission. To me it tells a story, a funny one. :3
    edited October 2009
    Options
    So, I know that I for one have been itching to see what the corsair outfit looks like. Well
    here it is.

25ez4wh.png

ya'll don't know nothin 'bout the pimp game b:cool

*thankies Spoons & co.*

WOW Can't wait to get mine!! b:dirty
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • eatwithspoons
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Too bad you were AFK ToxicKiss, I had to mail it b:chuckle

It looks a lot cooler than I expected based on the nameb:victory

All prizes have gone out! If you don't have it now check your mailbox in an hour.
  • Ophida - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2009
    Options
    WOW Can't wait to get mine!! b:dirty

It's so sparkly! b:flower
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    tempest-dw.shivtr.com
    edited October 2009
    Options
    Too bad you were AFK ToxicKiss, I had to mail it b:chuckle

It looks a lot cooler than I expected based on the nameb:victory

All prizes have gone out! If you don't have it now check your mailbox in an hour.

Awesome Spoons Thanks!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited October 2009
    Options
    It's so sparkly! b:flower

It looks awesome on you!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Ophida - Dreamweaver
    edited October 2009
    Options
    It looks awesome on you!!

b:cute

Links to more pics if interested (I won't post the pics themselves as it will cause mega picturage!)

http://i33.tinypic.com/5343de.png
    http://i38.tinypic.com/2uhbqs8.png
    http://i37.tinypic.com/zy9cuv.png

Shows a bit more detail b:shy
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    tempest-dw.shivtr.com
  • Liske - Lost City
    Liske - Lost City Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    b:surprised

Bring out is CS please!!! Like uhm... now?
    Now thats some fash a lot of people would actually buy...
    Lol replace anniversary packs with the Corsair outfit? b:mischievous
  • Bebisita - Dreamweaver
    Bebisita - Dreamweaver Posts: 130 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I didn't check out the winners til just now...
    One thing stood out to me that wasn't mentioned by anyone else.

It looks like someone got Zwinky.
    zwinky2.gif

Make of it what you will. Just thought I'd put that out there.
  • Orsova - Dreamweaver
    Orsova - Dreamweaver Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2009
    Options
    I like Vladislias - Harshlands the best. They got a great pumpkin sun
    awesome backround and lets not forget the missing fridays b:victory