EVENT: MAY Calendar Creation Contest Winners (see post 4-6 for runner ups)!

Options
dvorak
dvorak Posts: 0 Arc User
edited May 2009 in Official Announcements
event_details_banner_may_calendar_041409.jpg

It's becoming quite the norm to see an overwhelming amount of Calendar submissions each month and the month of May contest certainly continued this trend, and then some.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, once again we received hundreds of submissions that got boiled down to 40 finalists to go up against a judging panel who selected the 'Top 5' for this month.

The judging process is grueling, arduous and at times heated but at the end of it all we feel that the process produces a winning group worthy of being featured throughout our site for this month.

Congratulations to our 5 winners! For your reward you will each receive a Goldmane Lion Mount that will be sent to your in-game mail upon completion of server maintenance next week.

lion_pet.jpg

To everyone else let me extend a BIG THANKS(!) for your participation. The competition is fierce but some of you were really, really close. Runner-ups will be featured next week as will details for next month's Calendar Contest for the month of June!

And without further adieu, your winners are (featured in alphabetical order by user name)....
pwe_dvorak.jpg

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/pwe_dvorak
Post edited by dvorak on

Comments

• dvorak
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Aelicia (Sanctuary):

calendarmaysmall_Aelicia.jpg

JedenTag (Sanctuary):

calendarmaysmall_JedenTag.jpg

PLexa (Sanctuary):

calendarmaysmall_PLexa.jpg
    pwe_dvorak.jpg

• dvorak
    edited May 2009
    Options
    TheLegion (Lost City):

calendarmaysmall_TheLegion.jpg

Torhn (Heaven's Tear):

calendarmaysmall_Torhn.jpg
    pwe_dvorak.jpg

• dvorak
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Here are the featured 9 runner-ups for the month of May! Just as in months prior most of the 9 designs here were easily within a vote or 2 of cracking the Top 5.

Hope to see you all come back and give the June contest another shot!

(listed in alphabetical order of username, please click on image for full size):

Anavastia (Heaven's Tear):

calendarmaysmall_Anavastia.jpg

BloodFire (Harshlands):

calendarmaysmall_BloodFire.jpg

Maldreen (Sanctuary):

calendarmaysmall_Maldreen.jpg

pwe_dvorak.jpg

• dvorak
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Runner Ups Page #2:

Merulla (Sanctuary):

calendarmaysmall_Merulla.jpg

NaoShimai (Sanctuary):

calendarmaysmall_NaoShimai.jpg

Sentha (Heaven's Tear):
    calendarmaysmall_Sentha.jpg
    pwe_dvorak.jpg

• dvorak
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Runner-ups Page #3

SunFairy (Sanctuary):

calendarmaysmall_SunFairy.jpg

Surmalin (Sanctuary):

calendarmaysmall_Surmalin.jpg

Zimmey (Heaven's Tear):

calendarmaysmall_Zimmey.jpg
    pwe_dvorak.jpg

• dvorak
    edited May 2009
    Options
    *Reserved for other*
    pwe_dvorak.jpg

• dvorak
    edited May 2009
    Options
    *Reserved*
    pwe_dvorak.jpg

• Soho - Lost City
    Soho - Lost City Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Eh wow,

If I knew a lion mount was up for grabs I would've saved my ipod idea.

IMO, I saw some other entries more worth of winning than those that did win.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

sohographics.deviantart.com
  • Maiya - Lost City
    Maiya - Lost City Posts: 2,686 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    b:cry

Lion escapes my grasps once again.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BloodFire - Harshlands
    BloodFire - Harshlands Posts: 172 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    ;__;
    How about you toss the runnerups ninetail mounts ^.~
    xD.
    So close but I don't give up easy. Next time I am going to try even harder. (I have a whole ton of good ideals floating around in my head) And there are still the other two contests this month.
    Congrats to the winners.
  • Thelegion - Lost City
    Thelegion - Lost City Posts: 256 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Nice ... all have nice sumissions ... congratulation all......
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aelicia - Sanctuary
    Aelicia - Sanctuary Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Oh GOD O_O...Thank you? Thank you very much lol. To be truth I though I would have been in runners up like the past month but hey =D!!b:pleasedb:pleasedb:pleased I'm very happy! Wow... A lion?...omg... Hehe =D
  • Torhn - Heavens Tear
    Torhn - Heavens Tear Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Oh GOD O_O...Thank you? Thank you very much lol. To be truth I though I would have been in runners up like the past month but hey =D!!b:pleasedb:pleasedb:pleased I'm very happy! Wow... A lion?...omg... Hehe =D

Awesome! Kitties! Aelicia Your entry looks so cheerful and full of movement. Her expression is so full of happiness. Great job and grats too on the winning spot!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Murugan - Lost City
    Murugan - Lost City Posts: 138 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I have to say, I don't agree with this. There were some amazing submissions that I had seen posted in the forums. Aelicia (Sanctuary) was one of them, Torhn (Heaven's Tear) wasn't posted in the forums (but his submission is nevertheless my favorite :P). The other 3... just no. There were 3 others that far surpassed them, although I cannot remember the names of their creators.
  • OtohaYuudai - Sanctuary
    OtohaYuudai - Sanctuary Posts: 15 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I have to say, I don't agree with this. There were some amazing submissions that I had seen posted in the forums. Aelicia (Sanctuary) was one of them, Torhn (Heaven's Tear) wasn't posted in the forums (but his submission is nevertheless my favorite :P). The other 3... just no. There were 3 others that far surpassed them, although I cannot remember the names of their creators.

I could not agree more. I suppose that's the way things go, but I feel that a lot of talented people miss out time and time again to less creative and not as well put together pieces.
    Pants are an illusion. And so is death.
  • Deceptistar - Sanctuary
    Deceptistar - Sanctuary Posts: 10,454 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I could not agree more. I suppose that's the way things go, but I feel that a lot of talented people miss out time and time again to less creative and not as well put together pieces.
    The thing is, this is at best assumption but, the votes are based on originality, creativeness, design, amount of effort (thought to be) put in, atmosphere, and lastly graphics accuracy. ART critique wise we can probably point out flaws in every submission PWI got, as an artist ive even seen some telltale signs of tracing involved in past submissions, hell they even won but apparently no voter noticed (you know who you are>_>). No submission is 'TEH BEsT!' overall, because the ones chosen all seem to exceed in a diff. category of their own, thats for sure. But this isnt an art contest so overall it kinda just boils down to matter of preference and taste of the choosing pple involved.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]lagunal8.deviantart.com
    ★"New weekly quests! "Discover the bug in the patch""-Nihillae★"My father would beat me if he found out I was QQing over a virtual pony."-Neurosis★"You're amongst the biggest blobs of fail I've ever seen in my life."-Ninnuam★"A statistic said 3% people of the world get enjoyment primarily from making people upset, and you are trying to discriminate them"-ilystah★["How To Tank Rebirth Order Delta (86+)"-Stickygreen Barb (1)restat. you want full magic, Arcane armour build (2)when mobs come /faceroll on your keyboard and you will one shot all the mobs (3)rinse and repeat]★"I've been spammed with 3 poops for 2 hours."-ColdSteele★"If someone fights learning, I don't bother with them outside of amusement factor."-Telarith★"This thread is a joke right? Please say yes."-eatwithspoons★ "This is why you don't post your opinions on the internet, most of the replies you get will be from people who missed a hug or two sometime in their youth."-Alacol★"Sexy! A post with a Binomial Distribution."-Asterelle★"It's about time PW starts to separate out the noob Sins from the rest."-salvati0n★"Shoo troll >:O"-TheDan
  • NaoShimai - Sanctuary
    NaoShimai - Sanctuary Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    The thing is, this is at best assumption but, the votes are based on originality, creativeness, design, amount of effort (thought to be) put in, atmosphere, and lastly graphics accuracy. ART critique wise we can probably point out flaws in every submission PWI got, as an artist ive even seen some telltale signs of tracing involved in past submissions, hell they even won but apparently no voter noticed (you know who you are>_>). No submission is 'TEH BEsT!' overall, because the ones chosen all seem to exceed in a diff. category of their own, thats for sure. But this isnt an art contest so overall it kinda just boils down to matter of preference and taste of the choosing pple involved.

I noticed b:chuckle I didn't want to say anything though, just in case I was mistaken. I agree, it's all about personal preference and taste so it would be impossible to be fair and impartial to one thing like effort or skill. But... I think for a lot of people who produce something that most people go 'wow. that's really a great design' at, it's a little disheartening when a piece that maybe had less effort and thought or is less aesthetically appealing to the majority wins. But there's no way to know for sure how much effort someone gave, and there's no pleasing everyone. I just imagine that's how a lot of people end up feeling after these. But what can ya do? I've just never seen a contest with so many people in disagreement about the outcome.

anyways, congratulations to the winners!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Deculture~!^o^
  • Jack_Nel - Sanctuary
    Jack_Nel - Sanctuary Posts: 349 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Awesome! Kitties! Aelicia Your entry looks so cheerful and full of movement. Her expression is so full of happiness. Great job and grats too on the winning spot!

OMG you won b:dirty thats grate I love it its on my Desktop for a few days now b:dirty good job
    [SIGPIC]http://i391.photobucket.com/albums/oo358/jack665/1-1.jpg[/SIGPIC]

"Many left many will leave but what keeps us happy is the time we spend and the way we leave.. for me the best good bye was of Magnate and Jack_Nel both got married and then left the game.. making each other the immortal couple of this game." by Herne_Hunter
  • Surmalin - Sanctuary
    Surmalin - Sanctuary Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Well.. here are mine:
    http://neheriel.googlepages.com/tiger-may.jpg
    http://neheriel.googlepages.com/tiger-may2.jpg
    NOTwiners b:angry
    i'm starting to hate this contest... i spend so much time to create them... i tought i really have some chance this time b:sad i know it's all about personal preference and taste but... it really sux b:cry
  • Aelicia - Sanctuary
    Aelicia - Sanctuary Posts: 16 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options

Thank you very much for the comment =)! Grats too on the winning!b:pleased Your entry Is Really great so funny and detailed!: taco calendar, the venomancer who find it too spicy, so many things lol XD :P

See you all next calendar event =)b:victory
  • Lareish - Harshlands
    Lareish - Harshlands Posts: 647 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Congratulations everyone! I didn't see all the other entries yet, but I really like yours, Aelicia - the dance and Plexa's are my favorites from these. Love the scene in Torhn's too, but I like the simpler style of the other two and the flow :)
    Well.. here are mine:
    http://neheriel.googlepages.com/tiger-may.jpg
    http://neheriel.googlepages.com/tiger-may2.jpg
    NOTwiners b:angry
    i'm starting to hate this contest... i spend so much time to create them... i tought i really have some chance this time b:sad i know it's all about personal preference and taste but... it really sux b:cry

Nice talent - the second is my fave of the two. They mentioned that they would be giving the advantage to people who followed the Cinco de Mayo mexican/festive theme though, which might be why you didn't top the list :( I'm sure it would have been up higher for last month's, which was the spring theme.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Harshlands || Lareish (Wz), Enraged Executor || AKA Howl Leader Garmr

~~ ~~~ The semi-sane, optimistic cynic with a light heart. ~~~ ~~
  • Thelegion - Lost City
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I believe that but the important thing of the competition, is knowledge that is a competition, if there are person that agrees and other that no, but that is normal, coverall when he is something of aesthetic, design and points of view, remember all that this is very subjective so that it is the individual taste, on the other hand all seem to me excellent, including which I saw in the forum, so that they express its essence and their tastes in the end always to have competed are or honor, the same congratulate and them to all.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Soho - Lost City
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I believe that but the important thing of the competition, is knowledge that is a competition, if there are person that agrees and other that no, but that is normal, coverall when he is something of aesthetic, design and points of view, remember all that this is very subjective so that it is the individual taste, on the other hand all seem to me excellent, including which I saw in the forum, so that they express its essence and their tastes in the end always to have competed are or honor, the same congratulate and them to all.

Now trade your lion for my ninetails. b:dirty b:chuckle

Congrats to winners. ^_~
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Vixe - Heavens Tear
    Vixe - Heavens Tear Posts: 419 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I was kinda hoping that there might be a Mother's Day theme to the May calendar, but I guess the whole Cinco de Mayo theme fits too....

...Of course, now my Father's Day calendar for June won't have a matching Mother's Day to follow...Either way, congrats to the winners! b:victory
  • Thelegion - Lost City
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Now trade your lion for my ninetails. b:dirty b:chuckle

Congrats to winners. ^_~

well .... b:victoryb:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Soho - Lost City
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I was kinda hoping that there might be a Mother's Day theme to the May calendar, but I guess the whole Cinco de Mayo theme fits too....

...Of course, now my Father's Day calendar for June won't have a matching Mother's Day to follow...Either way, congrats to the winners! b:victory

I think they need to do holidays that can/do apply to everyone.

Mothers Day in the UK was in March...so...
    well .... b:victoryb:chuckle

b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Maiya - Lost City
    Maiya - Lost City Posts: 2,686 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Nothing came to mind for Cinco de Mayo, so I went with this.

http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk246/luminatingheart/Perfect%20World/maycalendar.jpg
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Aerole - Heavens Tear
    Aerole - Heavens Tear Posts: 89 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    I love the third one by Plexa, pretty!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Signature designed by Forsakenx <3
  • Leaderalan - Lost City
    Leaderalan - Lost City Posts: 327 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    Maiya worth a try b:victory
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Thank You Forsakenx
  • mistigrikitty
    mistigrikitty Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Options
    These were my entries:

http://files1.guildlaunch.net/guild/library/gallery/65405/may39744.jpg
    http://files1.guildlaunch.net/guild/library/gallery/65405/may21584.jpg
    http://files1.guildlaunch.net/guild/library/gallery/65405/may13309.jpg

Please tell me what you think of em..... THANK YOU.. would be very appreciated....

Never even went to runner up to any of the entries and I participate since the 1st one.... Beginning to think I don't have what it needed and should just stop trying :(

Thanks in advance for your comments :)