EVENT: PWI Caption Contest #1: CLOSED - Winner announced on post #2!!!

Comments

• Hisuna - Sanctuary
    Hisuna - Sanctuary Posts: 1,071 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    To all those complaining, take a deep breath, now let it go. Be happy for the winner and let them enjoy their mount. I'm sure judging was based on more than just the "idea" of the quote, and of all the ones listed in comparison, I have to agree Asterelle had the best wording. Do I think it was the best quote overall? I have no idea because there was 8 billion replies and I am just not going to read all that. But enough with the barking and complaining, you know you're just jealous because you didn't win. I know I am. Congrats Ast. b:surrender
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The family is a haven in a heartless world.
    Once a Guardian, Always a Guardian. Element: Fire.
  • Kristina_t - Heavens Tear
    Kristina_t - Heavens Tear Posts: 131 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    To all those complaining, take a deep breath, now let it go. Be happy for the winner and let them enjoy their mount. I'm sure judging was based on more than just the "idea" of the quote, and of all the ones listed in comparison, I have to agree Asterelle had the best wording. Do I think it was the best quote overall? I have no idea because there was 8 billion replies and I am just not going to read all that. But enough with the barking and complaining, you know you're just jealous because you didn't win. I know I am. Congrats Ast. b:surrender
    has nothing to do with being jealous. i didnt even enter this contest b:pleased if they are going to say funniest caption wins and u have so many unoriginal versions on the same theme of half off why pick one of those when there were many other "ORIGINAL" submitions. sorry to everyone that actually made me laugh and didnt win b:cry and congrats to the winner for luck of the draw
  • Zephyrx - Lost City
    Zephyrx - Lost City Posts: 1,563 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I hope she enjoys her mount at 50% off.
    Position: Professional Forum Troll
    Position Details: Be able to incite people to flames and perform miracles such as telling people what's right and what's wrong. Be able to dish out flames to other people so fire extinguishers are needed to put out the flames. Most of all, giving others a piece of reality.

ZephyrX is better than crack... he's your Anti-Drug
  • Soho - Lost City
    Soho - Lost City Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    i smell a bribe here cause wasent it supposed to be a funny caption?b:angry

Each to their own.

b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

sohographics.deviantart.com
  • Zostar - Harshlands
    Zostar - Harshlands Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    The "Open Sesame Fail" caption by Knighted made me chuckle. :D
  • Abbadon - Harshlands
    Abbadon - Harshlands Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    "Unbeknownst to the poor contestants, they were actually looking at a picture of the judges... who were all a bunch of horses a**es."

Seriously though. That caption was neither original nor coffee-out-the-nose funny. If you are going to use a Random Number Generator to determine contest winners, than just say so. I'm sure we'd rather just have you tell us than assume things such as talent, creativity, and humor actually had a bearing on these contests.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Blade_Wolfe - Heavens Tear
    Blade_Wolfe - Heavens Tear Posts: 128 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    the caption was more of a heh, a lil chuckle no more, like an oh, quick glance thats about it
  • RogueFox - Heavens Tear
    RogueFox - Heavens Tear Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    heres my late caption for the hell of it, and only those who know bout the guy and wat he can do would find it funny

"never mess with Mr.Popo"
    hehehe i like my sig >:)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Jamri - Heavens Tear
    Jamri - Heavens Tear Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Really...

Seriously....

I think the judges need to get out to a comedy club once in a PWI full moon.

Oh well maybe next time.

Congrats to the winner.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RogueFox - Heavens Tear
    RogueFox - Heavens Tear Posts: 215 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    i think this was all fixed or they pulled a name out of a hat
    hehehe i like my sig >:)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited May 2009
    "Unbeknownst to the poor contestants, they were actually looking at a picture of the judges... who were all a bunch of horses a**es."

Seriously though. That caption was neither original nor coffee-out-the-nose funny. If you are going to use a Random Number Generator to determine contest winners, than just say so. I'm sure we'd rather just have you tell us than assume things such as talent, creativity, and humor actually had a bearing on these contests.

And that is so true ! they did not even chose one that met their own requirements
    edited May 2009
    we should start a thread of user favs from this and see who would have really won b:victory
  • Agravain - Heavens Tear
    Agravain - Heavens Tear Posts: 271 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    somebody somewhere has won... um... grats... do we have to wade thru 600 pages to find out who and what the quote is? Shouldn't the winning announcement be posted on the reserved #2 place?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Lareish - Harshlands
    Lareish - Harshlands Posts: 647 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Asterelle won with one of the "half off" jokes. The official posting is on the Event Announcements main page. Link is about 3-5 pages back from here.

Congrats, Asterelle!

Now, I personally want to see the other 125 entries that could have won - I want a good laugh :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Harshlands || Lareish (Wz), Enraged Executor || AKA Howl Leader Garmr

~~ ~~~ The semi-sane, optimistic cynic with a light heart. ~~~ ~~
  • Malena_Vazin - Lost City
    Malena_Vazin - Lost City Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Asterelle won with one of the "half off" jokes. The official posting is on the Event Announcements main page. Link is about 3-5 pages back from here.

Congrats, Asterelle!

Now, I personally want to see the other 125 entries that could have won - I want a good laugh :)
    that would be good so we can see the kind of things the judges find funny so we can be prepared for the next contest. Judging by the winning caption. Bland, obvious and unoriginal one liners are the way to go.
    edited May 2009
    Ring Ring Ring Hello mom ... yea me and the guys kinda got in to a accident... What!?? mom no !!!! I didnt have time to put on clean underware !!!
    this one almost made me go wewe b:laugh
  • Sarugami - Sanctuary
    Sarugami - Sanctuary Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited May 2009

I agree with you that Asterelle was the one that word the idea best out of all the caption before her, including my ownb:sad. I am jealous...I wish they judge base on idea instead of wordingb:cry. I want the fox mount.........release it to the cash shop already!!!!!!!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Briegg - Sanctuary
    Briegg - Sanctuary Posts: 584 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    hah?

i must say the judges have a very poor sense of humor..
  • Eledyssil - Lost City
    Eledyssil - Lost City Posts: 197 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I liked mine;

System message: The game wall be closed down for mountanance.

b:chuckle
  • Burn_ur_ass - Sanctuary
    Burn_ur_ass - Sanctuary Posts: 58 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I liked mine;

System message: The game wall be closed down for mountanance.

b:chuckle

Well it was better than the wining one but still... there were tons with wining potential that were left aside :s
    Saving Ladies...For the Old Fashioned Joy of Killing....

hope the only lady u wanna save is me sethie... b:cute
  • dvorak
    dvorak Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Congratulations to the winner of PWI's Caption Contest #1 - Asterelle from Sanctuary!

pwi_april_caption_contest_winner.jpg
    pwe_dvorak.jpg

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/pwe_dvorak
  • Nayiro - Sanctuary
    Nayiro - Sanctuary Posts: 1,275 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    I'm disappointed now.
    Not because I lost, but because it was so over done.
    Back.
  • dvorak
    edited May 2009
    some things to clarify here....

Judging comedy is a terribly difficult affair because of the pure subjectivity of what makes something funnier then another. Like I mentioned on the official events page this was very likely the most difficult contest/event to judge because there really was over a 100 entries that could've easily been considered the winner.

What made Asterelle's entry stand out above the 5800 other entries? The simplest explanation is that 3 out 7 judges considered that entry their top pick and 2 others had him in their Top 3.

Another matter to consider - there must've been at least 30 entries that were in the spirit of 'half off mounts' type jokes but Asterelle's was one of the first submitted in that vein (3rd actually) and was better worded and articulated than the first 2.

Let's not poo-poo on the winner because you don't agree with our judging selection - Asterelle won perhaps our most competitive event to date and for that we should bow and bask in the afterglow of his comedic aura.

BTW (and purely for FYI purposes), Asterelle's submission was my #3 choice. My Top Pick actually went to post #588 by Uziel.

Nevertheless I am very happy and pleased with our winning selection!

Stay tuned as we will announce details of Caption Contest #2 next week!
    pwe_dvorak.jpg

• dvorak
    edited May 2009
    I'm disappointed now.
    Not because I lost, but because it was so over done.

you were pretty close.

you had 2 or 3 entries in our Top 120.
    pwe_dvorak.jpg

• Nayiro - Sanctuary
    Nayiro - Sanctuary Posts: 1,275 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Dvorak wrote: »
    you were pretty close.

you had 2 or 3 entries in our Top 120.

Ok, now i feel a bit better. =]

Maybe next time I'll think inside the box b:cute
    Back.
  • Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973
    Asterelle - Sanctuary_1381265973 Posts: 7,881 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Wow Dvorak's got my back b:thanks
    Thanks so much for the endorsement! I love the new mount b:cute
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Refining Simulator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/refiningsimulator.html (don't use IE)
    Genie Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/geniecalculator.html - (don't use IE)
    Socket Calculator - aster.ohmydays.net/pw/socketcalculator.html
  • Sarugami - Sanctuary
    Sarugami - Sanctuary Posts: 251 Arc User
    edited May 2009

Judging comedy is a terribly difficult affair because of the pure subjectivity of what makes something funnier then another. Like I mentioned on the official events page this was very likely the most difficult contest/event to judge because there really was over a 100 entries that could've easily been considered the winner.

What made Asterelle's entry stand out above the 5800 other entries? The simplest explanation is that 3 out 7 judges considered that entry their top pick and 2 others had him in their Top 3.

Another matter to consider - there must've been at least 30 entries that were in the spirit of 'half off mounts' type jokes but Asterelle's was one of the first submitted in that vein (3rd actually) and was better worded and articulated than the first 2.

Let's not poo-poo on the winner because you don't agree with our judging selection - Asterelle won perhaps our most competitive event to date and for that we should bow and bask in the afterglow of his comedic aura.

BTW (and purely for FYI purposes), Asterelle's submission was my #3 choice. My Top Pick actually went to post #588 by Uziel.

Thank you very much for the explanation of the judging process Dvorak. Bring on the next caption contest...I'm ready...and hopefully I can winb:chuckle
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Maxeur - Harshlands
    Maxeur - Harshlands Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Congratulations to the winner of PWI's Caption Contest #1 - Asterelle from Sanctuary!

pwi_april_caption_contest_winner.jpg
    hi hlip me maxeur pliz
  • sotsf
    sotsf Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2009
    Seriously thought the winning caption would be the one which would try to capture the prevailing points in the image... relating with mounts and wall.
    Or judges would try to give extra points for originality rather than cliche.

Done venting my anger now.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Malena_Vazin - Lost City
    Malena_Vazin - Lost City Posts: 50 Arc User
    edited May 2009

Still you should have put this to a vote. 100 judges are better than 7