*updated* February Calendar Creation Contest Design Winners and runner ups!

2»

Comments

• Aesthor - Heavens Tear
    Aesthor - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,845 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I still think the drawn ones could have been better. Sure they could be given effort points for drawing it, but a lot of work has to be put into the photoshopped only ones too. Some people have posted their entries and I'd rather use theirs on my desktop. However, putting the contest to a vote would unbalance the contest in favor of people with more friends. I think the judges should just be more fair and not like...disadvantage entries for not being drawn.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ಥ_ಥ MOAR.
    SkyKoC - How long is yours?
  • Maiya - Lost City
    Maiya - Lost City Posts: 2,686 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Oh, it was supposed to be February only.

Lol, I thought the contest was all months, so I didn't bother. :P
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • dvorak
    dvorak Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    be sure to check out the news items that will get posted later tonight during maintenance. to be featured are details regarding round #2 of the Calendar Design Contest for March, plus a display of the runner-ups that each came within a vote or two of being in the Top 3!
    pwe_dvorak.jpg

Follow me on twitter: http://twitter.com/pwe_dvorak
  • _Bloody_Fox_ - Sanctuary
    _Bloody_Fox_ - Sanctuary Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Thats cool and all but where is the .psd file for the new kit?
    seriously wow.
    I cannot edit the layers without it, making it harder for me to make it.
    did you forget it or something?
    Facebook.com/foxi187
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Soho - Lost City
    Soho - Lost City Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I hope more non-hand drawn ones win next time. I don't think it's fair that 2/3 should be hand drawn winners cause some of us can't draw IRL but are good with photoshop.

But grats to winners.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

sohographics.deviantart.com
  • Ryujin_Jakka - Lost City
    Ryujin_Jakka - Lost City Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    first i'd like to say grats to the winners, second i thought mine was pretty good, and better then some of the ones worth mentioning, but o well, thought i'd post anyways for anyone that wants to see it or would like to use it

http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q107/KingLotus/PWCalendar1.jpg
  • Semyezza - Heavens Tear
    Semyezza - Heavens Tear Posts: 220 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    I hope more non-hand drawn ones win next time. I don't think it's fair that 2/3 should be hand drawn winners cause some of us can't draw IRL but are good with photoshop.

But grats to winners.

I'm proof hand drawn dun rule the world. >:D Help me break their hold, ROAR! -hug-
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"I. LIKE. TO. KILL. THINGS."
    - Richard the Warlock, LFG.

visit my gallery on !! quelfish.deviantart.com !!
  • dvorak
    edited February 2009
    Thats cool and all but where is the .psd file for the new kit?
    seriously wow.
    I cannot edit the layers without it, making it harder for me to make it.
    did you forget it or something?

try downloading the calendar creation kit again, we uploaded a revised version that contains a .psd of the background template.

all entries were judged by over a dozen staff members and ultimately the majority of them really favored those particular 2 hand-drawn submissions. Keep in mind that we decided to award 4 designs as prize-winners, so 2 of them were more image-shop designs while 2 were hand drawn. Also, we received over 30 hand drawn submissions but only 2 of them were under consideration for the top prize.
    pwe_dvorak.jpg

• Diru_otaku - Sanctuary
    Diru_otaku - Sanctuary Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2009
  • dvorak
    edited February 2009

Keep in mind that this is a long series of contests so we'll be mixing up the type of prizes from month to month.

Also, the Dragon Orb Packs are a tremendous value ($30 price) for those looking to get a nice boost on their armor as well as weapons. Feel free to give us feedback regarding prizes you'd like to see in the future.
    pwe_dvorak.jpg

• dvorak
    edited February 2009
    The Original Post (#1) has been updated with a listing of the 4 prize winners, along with the 9 runner ups that each came within 1 or 2 votes of winning a prize.

Also, the official events page has been updated with a complete listing and display of the 13 design finalists:

http://pwi.perfectworld.com/event/eventsubpage/1021
    pwe_dvorak.jpg

• Aesthor - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    Dvorak wrote: »
    Keep in mind that this is a long series of contests so we'll be mixing up the type of prizes from month to month.

Also, the Dragon Orb Packs are a tremendous value ($30 price) for those looking to get a nice boost on their armor as well as weapons. Feel free to give us feedback regarding prizes you'd like to see in the future.

Except if I knew hand drawn ones were favored, I'd rather have drawn one for a raptor -.-;;

[SIZE="-4"]But I don't draw so I guess that doesn't apply to me[/SIZE]
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ಥ_ಥ MOAR.
  • dvorak
    edited February 2009
    Except if I knew hand drawn ones were favored, I'd rather have drawn one for a raptor -.-;;

[SIZE="-4"]But I don't draw so I guess that doesn't apply to me[/SIZE]

contrary to which designs did and did not win, hand drawn submissions are not at all favored over other types. don't feel discouraged because you can't draw. Expression and creativity is key above all.
    pwe_dvorak.jpg

• Soho - Lost City
    Soho - Lost City Posts: 323 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    OMG, runners up!!!

b:laugh

Do runners up win anything? :O!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

sohographics.deviantart.com
  • Maniqwen - Heavens Tear
    Maniqwen - Heavens Tear Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited February 2009

Ok that link is hilarious!!
  • Maiya - Lost City
    Maiya - Lost City Posts: 2,686 Arc User
    edited February 2009

Roflmao.
    Word filler.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Shazamm - Heavens Tear
    Shazamm - Heavens Tear Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited February 2009

Diru, THANK U for the FUNNY, FUNNY response! You made my day, friend! I laughed so hard that I almost choked on my breakfast this morning! b:laughb:chuckleb:laugh

BTW - I agree with you; perhaps something more GRAND for March is needed. Something more along the lines of the black raptor. Afterall, most lower lvl players don't use refining, and selling D-Orbs for profit may not prove to be terribly easy.

Thanx again for the laughs! b:victory
  • Diru_otaku - Sanctuary
    Diru_otaku - Sanctuary Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    LOL thanks for liking it i guess.
    i dunno but i just am not really impressed with the prize
  • Aesthor - Heavens Tear
    edited February 2009
    Dvorak wrote: »
    contrary to which designs did and did not win, hand drawn submissions are not at all favored over other types. don't feel discouraged because you can't draw. Expression and creativity is key above all.

Who said I can't draw? I don't like to cuz my scanner sucks and thus a pain to color. I just feel the drawn ones could have been better and the finalists more tasteful. I really liked 2-3 of them, and the rest wouldn't end up on my desktop even if I had to use Windows default wallpaper. Don't worry, I know my opinions mean as much as a pile of cow pie to you but I'm clarifying what I meant. Might I suggest a "themed" winner instead of just 5 arbitrary winners? Like as in maybe a winner for artistic merit, for humor, for originality..etc. etc. etc. That way some people don't wtf over the ones that others think are funny and stuff. (Cuz some of the finalists scare me)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ಥ_ಥ MOAR.
  • _Bloody_Fox_ - Sanctuary
    _Bloody_Fox_ - Sanctuary Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    Who said I can't draw? I don't like to cuz my scanner sucks and thus a pain to color. I just feel the drawn ones could have been better and the finalists more tasteful. I really liked 2-3 of them, and the rest wouldn't end up on my desktop even if I had to use Windows default wallpaper. Don't worry, I know my opinions mean as much as a pile of cow pie to you but I'm clarifying what I meant. Might I suggest a "themed" winner instead of just 5 arbitrary winners? Like as in maybe a winner for artistic merit, for humor, for originality..etc. etc. etc. That way some people don't wtf over the ones that others think are funny and stuff. (Cuz some of the finalists scare me)

LOL i know what you mean, i only saved one and it wasnt even a top winner.
    I just saved it just cuz, didnt get as my wallpaper lol.
    But i do not think i am going to enter this month, refining orbs arent worth the hours of effort that i would normally put in, And still lose.
    I think i will just help my friend with his and have him turn it in, and if he wins have him give me a small bit lol
    Facebook.com/foxi187
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • _Icarus_ - Lost City
    _Icarus_ - Lost City Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited February 2009

this one is really great b:victory
  • MsFrosty - Heavens Tear
    MsFrosty - Heavens Tear Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    very nice b:cute
  • Domnorix - Heavens Tear
    Domnorix - Heavens Tear Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited February 2009
    If i was the judge i would choose Hidrazona's calender.
    http://pwi.perfectworld.com/images/content/Hidrazona.jpg

LOLZb:laughb:laughb:laugh
  • DarthJorete - Sanctuary
    DarthJorete - Sanctuary Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited March 2009
    Hello. Thanks to the ones who sent their congratulations, I really appreciate it (really, I appreciate it deeply).
    Anyway, I'm feeling very discouraged by all the hate shown here (being called mediocre is far worse than I thought it might be), but guys, I thought many of us players would participate with some drawings, you shouldn't feel so upset with the fact that two of the chosen wallpapers included drawings, I mean, the GM says there were many other hand drawn ones that didn't make it to the finalists.
    I also wanted to congratulate Ariadonna and Ryujin_Jakka for their great work, and of course Semyezza (great style, very "romantic" or "emotional" I don't know how to call it), Burning and FoxyChick.
    Don't hate hand drawings, they're cool (well, maybe not mine, but anyway), this two months wallpapers were started hours before deadline, so I'll spend more time with April's wallpaper to offer all of you more quality.

Be cool.