Newbie's Guide to Archer-ism!

12345679»

Comments

• CreamDrinker - Dreamweaver
    CreamDrinker - Dreamweaver Posts: 310 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    solid advice on the stat build however I definately disagree in telling people to leave vicious arrow and serrated at lvl 1 I understand that on their own these skills seem useless but as you said the archer's job is to do as much damage as possible in a short amount of time....this leaves me with a combo that has made challenges otherwise impossible barely doable, serrated, vicious, frost, thundershock, lightning strike, stormrage (which is not listed here I didn't play in 2008 so don't know if it was available then or it could be bc it's another steady damage attack), stun quickshot, winged shell, crab meat, herb repeat. ofc if what I'm fighting as enough hp I start with a good ol' STA and unless you plan to run all your squads w/ lvl 101 sins keep STA maxed. Point of the matter is that it's suplemental damage done while you are using other attacks, it's also good to start with and just use regular attacks

Also you never mentioned Barrage Of Arrows QQ the most epic archer skill of all and you skipped it QQ
    "With or without it you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion"-Steven Weinberg
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Holy huge MP drain, batman!
    Er... um.... wow....

You do realize that with a decent weapon, a normal attack will deal more damage than vicious or serrated's DoT.... and will deal it faster, right? That's why we say it's not worth leveling since in the time it takes you to do damage with those skills, you'd have done more with a pair of normal attacks.

That aside, your post kinda reminds me of
    Level 60-64: I love this crossbow; it glows such a pretty green. Also, I've found the ultimate archer combo against mobs: Deadly Shot -> Frost Arrow -> Quickshot -> Stunning Arrow -> Knockback -> Aim Low. After that, I've dealt so much damage that I can just finish with normal attacks.

b:chuckle
  • Hurrdurr - Lothranis
    Hurrdurr - Lothranis Posts: 1,468 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    solid advice on the stat build however I definately disagree in telling people to leave vicious arrow and serrated at lvl 1 I understand that on their own these skills seem useless but as you said the archer's job is to do as much damage as possible in a short amount of time....this leaves me with a combo that has made challenges otherwise impossible barely doable, serrated, vicious, frost, thundershock, lightning strike, stormrage (which is not listed here I didn't play in 2008 so don't know if it was available then or it could be bc it's another steady damage attack), stun quickshot, winged shell, crab meat, herb repeat. ofc if what I'm fighting as enough hp I start with a good ol' STA and unless you plan to run all your squads w/ lvl 101 sins keep STA maxed. Point of the matter is that it's suplemental damage done while you are using other attacks, it's also good to start with and just use regular attacks

Also you never mentioned Barrage Of Arrows QQ the most epic archer skill of all and you skipped it QQ
  • I_Snipe - Lost City
    I_Snipe - Lost City Posts: 451 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    serrated > vicious > frost > thundershock > lightning strike > stormrage > stun quickshot > winged shell > crab meat > herb repeat

Reading that made my MP get the chills. Considering if this was PvE, by the time you finish casting Vicious Arrow, a melee target will already be in your face making Frost rather useless. Against a ranged mob, well they would already be in their attack range and again, Frost would be useless.

Stormrage? ...

Judging by the fact that you are using Crab Meat, you must be getting hit. You shouldn't be getting hit unless it's a Increased Def/HP/Moving Speed/etc.

I have a good feeling you are just making a bad attempt at trolling.
  • Aesthor - Heavens Tear
    Aesthor - Heavens Tear Posts: 3,845 Arc User
    edited February 2012

Hahaahahahhaahahahaah
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ಥ_ಥ MOAR.
    SkyKoC - How long is yours?
  • carmen86
    carmen86 Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    Hi guys, anyone can teach me what skills need for pve ? what skills i should up ?
  • Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear
    Phoenix_Eye - Heavens Tear Posts: 1,681 Arc User
    edited May 2012
    carmen86 wrote: »
    Hi guys, anyone can teach me what skills need for pve ? what skills i should up ?
    • Both Masteries.
    • Take Aim
    • Frost Arrow
    • Knockback (leave at lvl 1)
    • Blazing Arrow
    • Wings of Protection ( pace lvl it)
    • Winged Shell
    • Stunning Arrow.
    • Aim low (pace lvl it , or leave it at 1)
    • Sharpen Tooth Arrow
    • Thunder Blast or Lighting Strike (you need a metal attack , strike is cheaper but Blast is AoE)
    • Quickshot (if you go Demon only)
    • Barrage of Arrows ( max it if you plan to do Rebirth and Faction Trials , otherwise w/e you feel good with)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    <--- MALE Veno ..... Moved to G W 2 or maybe not completely , don't know ...... PW addiction
    {That TT xbow chain is one that describes someone's bowel movements after having too much spicy food. A loud **** (Thundercrack), then a burning sensation (Flash Fire), followed by an explosion of multi-colored poo-confetti (Blinding Radiance). Excellent...} By Quilue
  • TigerBarbie - Harshlands
    TigerBarbie - Harshlands Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Okay first off deadly shot is not worth leveling the mana cost and charge time make it kinda pointless... And wtf your telling people not to level sharpened tooth arrow... That is what makes archers awesome in instances... At level 10 its nearly 20% health reduction!!!! In TT and FC tbat makes stuff die ALOT faster same with nirvana... And world bosses. Please learn your stuff better...

And your telling people not to level thunderous blast... For those of us without charms thunderous blast and sharpened tooth arrow are our primary Aoes in FC and GV runs till auras are up... And thunderstorm is a great rebuff for PVP and FC/TT bosses...
  • truekossy
    truekossy Posts: 7,021 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Okay first off deadly shot is not worth leveling the mana cost and charge time make it kinda pointless... And wtf your telling people not to level sharpened tooth arrow... That is what makes archers awesome in instances... At level 10 its nearly 20% health reduction!!!! In TT and FC tbat makes stuff die ALOT faster same with nirvana... And world bosses. Please learn your stuff better...

And your telling people not to level thunderous blast... For those of us without charms thunderous blast and sharpened tooth arrow are our primary Aoes in FC and GV runs till auras are up... And thunderstorm is a great rebuff for PVP and FC/TT bosses...

Deadly is superior to Take Aim for lower level PK, which wasn't dead at the time this was written, so leveling deadly would make sense then. And OP's said thunderous wasn't needed much til you started to TW.... which would have been true in the time this guide was written since people hadn't figured out Rebirth completely and FCC wasn't the mega EXP instance it is today. As for sharp.... I'm wondering if you're complaining without even reading. OP specifically says that unless you deal with bosses often and certain TW scenarios that's it's not needed much. Wouldn't spamming FC/TT/World Bosses be considered doing exactly that? Oh and seeing as using sharp would reduce the EXP if used at the start why would you want to use it in FC unless you're at a point where that amount of EXP doesn't matter as much to you as time saved?

The guide was fine for the times. It's merely a bit outdated with reasoning due to lack of world PvP and how everyone's rushing to 100 for high end instances now. However those that AREN'T rushing to level will still find this applicable as that playstyle will cause this information to still be fairly accurate for them. If you ARE rushing your way to 100, though, then this guide wouldn't apply to you anyways because you can just pick what to level when you get there instead of needing to prioritize as you level.
  • tgmitchellmote
    tgmitchellmote Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    We definitely need a cleric guide like this! Great guide!
  • _CrystalBow - Archosaur
    _CrystalBow - Archosaur Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Very VERY good guide, thanks to you i started to play with archer and i love playing with this class. Thanks for big work you putted into this, because i believe this helped to many people. :)
  • crstianm742
    crstianm742 Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    This was so helpful knowing what skills to get and which to upgrade, saved me a lot of time and in 6 days about 50 hours played my archer is lv 44 and can beat a lv 50 blademaster :D
    thank you.
  • Nalvaes - Raging Tide
    Nalvaes - Raging Tide Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Well, the only thing...Knockback arrow DOES work in PvP, it depends the other persons evasion. The higher level it is the more evasion they need to passively block it.

Good guide though b:victory
    Chaos is an ally not something to avoid...After all, how can your foes stand up to you if they have no idea what your next move will be?

Gear and weapons may make strong opponents but even a strong foe can be felled by the right tactics...
  • Decus - Dreamweaver
    Decus - Dreamweaver Posts: 5,033 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Well, the only thing...Knockback arrow DOES work in PvP, it depends the other persons evasion.

No, it doesn't.
    Proving that not only archers do math since 2009. b:victory
    Current math challenge: pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=1029711&page=45
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Any skills that can be used to kill you will interrupt BB when successful." -truekossy | "...Sage archers are kind of like Mac owners. They are proud of the weirdest and most unnecessary things." -Aesthor | "We ALL know Jesus doesn't play PWI. He may have suffered a lot for humanity, but he'd NEVER punish himself this way." -Abstractive | "I approve of bananas." -SashaGray
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited November 2012
    Well, the only thing...Knockback arrow DOES work in PvP, it depends the other persons evasion. The higher level it is the more evasion they need to passively block it.

Good guide though b:victory

Archer Knockback does not work in PvP.
  • mrcharlyplustwo
    mrcharlyplustwo Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Barrage of Arrows

This seems to be the only decent aoe - yet Annor's guide recommends not levelling it. What are the better skills?
  • Elenacostel - Heavens Tear
    Elenacostel - Heavens Tear Posts: 2,822 Arc User
    edited December 2012
    Barrage of Arrows

This seems to be the only decent aoe - yet Annor's guide recommends not levelling it. What are the better skills?

That piece of advice only applied back in the day when leveling took months, and spirit was an issue.

You *will* level Barrage to the max; it's just lower priority compared to a lot of other skills, if you are leveling your character the old-fashioned way.