Whats wrong with my dude???

openwide
openwide Posts: 6 Arc User
edited October 2008 in Arigora Colosseum
I'm a level 36 mage, and i've been dueling various people, and LOSING, nearly every time.

I have what i think are decent equips. i have a 2 star magic sword one level below mine, i have a 2 star and a 3 star magic ring, but still, i dont do much damage.

my MAG. is 177 and my magic attack is 911-1053

In PvE, i do 1500-2300, depending on the spell, in PvP 80-600, depending on the spell and the opponent. Is this normal? someone told me today that i would do more damage if i put points into DEX, but i thought that only raised my crit %. Any suggestions?

EDIT:Ok, maybe this should have gone in the wizard forum, just noticed that it existed, oops, but oh well, i'll still read, if you have something to say.
Post edited by openwide on

Comments

• senovit
    senovit Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Mages suck at 1v1's. That's pretty much all there is to it. You'll only really start to shine in group pvp, when your long casting time doesn't quite **** you over as badly.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • /haiku/ - Lost City
    /haiku/ - Lost City Posts: 286 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    I'd have to say I agree with senovit, at least early in the game (though I guess how bad it is would depend on your build). However, wizards are not limited to group pvp as there is always pk, but that's up to personal preference. Anyways..

Going off what you've said, I can surmise you're a "pure int", so.. to put it simply, a pure int built wizard is basically the glassiest class and build in the game. That being said, other classes can and will kill you easily. Hell, a lot of people can simply ohko you. There are some things you just can't kill, either, until higher levels when certain skills become available (i.e. 1v1ing barbs your level with hieros is not practical).

Solution? Strategy. If you really want to be good at pvp, keep in mind that the other player can think for themself -- you should do the same. Expect to die, fight for your life. Play with your skills and learn how they work, and practice pvping. Conclusion: Nothing is wrong with your dude, it will get easier later, but if you really want to be good at it keep practicing at it. It's not one of those classes where you can just hold down a button and wait to win.
    /Haiku/ -- Cognitive atrophy at its finest.
    No longer the mistress of being ohko PK'd.
  • openwide
    edited October 2008
    Yes, I understand the consequences of playing a very low defense build. I feel i may have communicated my point poorly; I was more concerned with the huge difference between the numbers i hit on monsters my level and the numbers i hit on players my level. Is there a reason for this? Is it something i can change or work around?
    Is it normal to have a giant gap between PvE damage and PvP damage?
  • /haiku/ - Lost City
    edited October 2008
    Of course. Almost every game with pvp has a damage nerf (though usually it's like half damage, PW seems to be lower than that most of the time) compared to pve for balance issues. If they didn't, level and equipment wouldn't matter as much for pvp, which makes a lot of the game kinda pointless. The reason your damage fluxuates so much though is because of the opponent's armor; attacking a robe is like attacking a monster with the inc mdef status while attacking an unbuffed heavy could be comparable to attacking a monster with the sacrificial assault status (because even though you do decent damage to them, they will hit you very hard, lol).

That being said, as a pure int, the only class that can't demolish your HP almost immediately is another wizard that doesn't have blade tempest.. all the other classes have physical attacks to kill you off with in 1-2 hits (which I suppose is why so many go with light armor). Hence I said practice, as you won't start winning otherwise. They have higher DPS attacking you than you have on them, and your HP is lower. Phy res/HP socketed gear helps significantly, as does earth barrier, but you still can't tank anybody's hits the way they'll be tanking yours until you get some of the harder hitting skills. :x

(As a note, I'm a pure int wizard myself)
  • openwide
    edited October 2008
    ok thanks for you help
  • Syiexus - Lost City
    Syiexus - Lost City Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    does this mean a light armor dex build is preferable?
  • lilly90
    lilly90 Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    i personally dislike it ,,its a matter of personal preferance really ,,first if you went LA you'll NEVER get your critical high enough to an archer ,,and your normal damage (no crits) will be lower than an int mage ,,sure you will survive gangs better ...but thats not what we are meant to do :P whole point of being a mage is not running into a group of people and aoe them ,,its more about kiting and NOT letting ur self get hit ,,so you dont need the armor :P you just need the attack and strategy and to keep an eye on people around you ,,thats why i said archers are better for first time people..anyways its a personal preferance issue if you went LA you will have lower damage but higher defence ,,sure you will have a few lucky criticals ,,but i dont like to depend on chances...then again ...this is just me
    Wrathy
    8x Mage
    LC server .
  • Calibix - Heavens Tear
    Calibix - Heavens Tear Posts: 105 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Wizard pvp is just crappy until later lvls. Force of will at 49 is a big help as it is like a 4 second seal. After 79 when you get sophoric whisper (or w/e its called), then Wizzies start getting good at pvp as they can dish out enough damage to kill most classes before the seal/sleeps wear off. Cleric is still gonna wtfpwn you almost all the time though, unless you get lucky and bladetempest them and get a lucky one shot. Check the wizard forums, haiz has made some very good posts there.
  • lilly90
    edited October 2008
    mages are not supposed to be good at pvp in the first place :P mainly ,mages snipe important targets in tw\pk wars , about the seal it's 5 secs when maxed i think so it really depends on which class are nuking while they are sealed , if they are BM they might die i guess ,, i'm not sure :S a smart person would run if he\she got sealed tho :P so dont really count on it that much ~ just use it when u get stunned\sleep to give you some edge or to interrupt casting , that's just my opinion tho ,, feel free to correct me
    Wrathy
    8x Mage
    LC server .
  • Prosperity - Lost City
    Prosperity - Lost City Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    lilly90 wrote: »
    mages are not supposed to be good at pvp in the first place :P

Wow....um ur noob? i think thats the nicest way i can put that...b:sad
  • /haiku/ - Lost City
    edited October 2008
    Eh well he does have a point, most wizards don't really shine at pvp. b:chuckle

That's not to say there are none that do, though. I'd say a plus is that any wizard build can be a workable pk/tw build.
  • xenicide
    xenicide Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    Is the international version different from the my version or has something changed?

I have some memory of reading that wizards was actually pretty good at pvp.
    Against an archer is what all about who could get in the first hit, and remember the foxes with pets was a bother.

So is there something i missed? (Was a while since i played)
  • lilly90
    edited October 2008
    i'm a level 7x here and had a level 86 mage back in the other version , when i mean PVP i mean duels or 1v1 , mages shine at group pk wars and tw, or sniping , and calling some one a noob while you are level 20 , no comment lol
    p.s: i'm a she :)
    Wrathy
    8x Mage
    LC server .
  • Prosperity - Lost City
    Prosperity - Lost City Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited October 2008
    i'm a level 7x here and had a level 86 mage back in the other version , when i mean PVP i mean duels or 1v1 , mages shine at group pk wars and tw, or sniping , and calling some one a noob while you are level 20 , no comment lol
    Hehe this is my alternate. My real character is lvl 70 in this server, and i had a lvl 92 on the last. Never talk back to your surperiors!b:thanks
  • lilly90
    edited October 2008
    care to share the name :) ?
    Wrathy
    8x Mage
    LC server .
  • markillian
    markillian Posts: 293 Arc User
    edited October 2008

Commenting on someone's avatar level when you don't even have an avatar?

And Mages are supposed to be uber awesome at PvP.
  • lilly90
    edited October 2008
    i cant get mine to work :( i tried all the steps in that post explaining how to do it >.< and its just not working,,i asked for help there and no one knows what im doing wrong :( i do see my avatar when i go to forums main page but whenever i post i see ? which sucks -_- anyways back on topic , it depends on build markillian but generally speaking mages are GREAT at group pk or big wars ,,it's where they really really shine :P in normal 1v1 pvp there are too many variables , your level and his\hers , skills ,class ,your build and his\hers etc,, feel free to get assurances about the group pk thing from any other mage and i'm sure they will say the same
    Wrathy
    8x Mage
    LC server .