pvp Item dependant?

sarvack
sarvack Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2008 in Arigora Colosseum
I'm new so i dont know how everything works.

How dependant on items is pvp?
Can a character with the better gear ALWAYS win against someone the same lvl and class whos gear is not the best, ( Like in WoW) Or do the players who don't have the best gear have a fighting chance?
Post edited by sarvack on

Comments

• tres
    tres Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Gear plays a huge role
  • troll
    troll Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    if gear difference isn't huge you have skills and luck to compensate.

however if you are clearly outclassed by the other player's gear then i'm sure you can guess the outcome.
  • embl3m
    embl3m Posts: 494 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    gear is everything in this game
  • tres
    tres Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Just looking at weapons

A weapon with + 10 > A Weapon with only +5

The +'s on a weapon increases themin and max dmg of the weapon.

With higher +'s more min and max are added on. Since skills usually use some % of the weapons attack dmg in their calculation. etc etc. xD
  • sarvack
    edited August 2008
    troll wrote: »
    if gear difference isn't huge you have skills and luck to compensate.

however if you are clearly outclassed by the other player's gear then i'm sure you can guess the outcome.

How disappointing.

• troll
    troll Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    just the way it is.
  • karmelia
    karmelia Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    sarvack wrote: »
    How disappointing.

Welcome to the realm of F2P games, where money rules.

Good equipment won't make a good PvPer out of a lousy one, but it sure helps.

And a good PvPer with good equipment is hard to beat.
    Frankieraye said : "we can promise that we will work to improve all facets of community, engineering, and customer service to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again."

(We are still waiting to see any improvements or changes beign implemented. More empty promises from PWI?)
  • sarvack
    edited August 2008
    Gear giving you an advantage is good, but it should not determine the fight.
  • hong
    hong Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Imagine a godly player with +12 equipments, fully geared.

You have 5 friends using +5, that will vary between levels. If your friends are like level 90 and he's 105, chances are that you'll win and none of you guys will die. Depends on how well the 105 plays and how well you 5 work together and what classes you have. But to be honest, it'll still be hard unless the 105 is ****.
    RoC.
  • kristallregen
    kristallregen Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Equiqment is important in PW - it's not like GuildWars where the skill and tactic of a guild/team decides who wins. At this point GW was one of the best competive PvP Games.

But it seems like Bejing plans to change a bit. The CN Version got a new Update with an Arena where player get more equal. Higher player will get a handicap (less hp - lvl50 90% hp, lvl90 just 15%hp) and low lvl a better equiqment. The google translation is very bad (any chinese speaking people here? ;) ) but it sounds like it's an daily event in a new arena where people get rewards for pk. Too bad that it's just an event and not a global handicap,. and it will maybe take months till we get it too.

http://w2i.wanmei.com/news/101/101101/2008-08-18/20080818093812708.htm
  • ark
    ark Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    I don't see your point. Yes, it's very gear-dependant, and yes, if you're fighting and idiot, you should win regardless of their equipment.
    As a Guild,

Live as One, fight as One, win as One.
    Strength in Unity,
    Order through Chaos,
    Victory united.
  • koji
    koji Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    i don't know what your talking about, in wow, your gear-dependent, but skill matters a lot as well..

my friend was only level 67 and beat a lvl 70 hunter, as was i a level 68 warlock back then, and beat a level 70 warlock.

granted our items aren't the best of our level, and they probably didn't have great items, but level 70 items are much better, especially when they're already at dungeon 3 items.

in most games skill's pretty damn important.

based on you're replies im assuming you guys are assuming the original poster meant a far gap in terms of items? i'm new to this as well so i'm curious, what if two people who had a small, noticeable difference in terms of items were to duke it out. then can skill offset the balance?
  • sarvack
    edited August 2008
    koji wrote: »
    i don't know what your talking about, in wow, your gear-dependent, but skill matters a lot as well..

my friend was only level 67 and beat a lvl 70 hunter, as was i a level 68 warlock back then, and beat a level 70 warlock.

granted our items aren't the best of our level, and they probably didn't have great items, but level 70 items are much better, especially when they're already at dungeon 3 items.

in most games skill's pretty damn important.

based on you're replies im assuming you guys are assuming the original poster meant a far gap in terms of items? i'm new to this as well so i'm curious, what if two people who had a small, noticeable difference in terms of items were to duke it out. then can skill offset the balance?

I AM talking about a huge difference in items.

A small or moderate difference can be overcome with skill.

Can a player with poor skill can beat a skilled player of the same LVL due to the difference in equipment?
  • xneo
    xneo Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    sarvack wrote: »

Can a player with poor skill can beat a skilled player of the same LVL due to the difference in equipment?

yes

but remember this mmo its cash shop dependent

i mean if u want pvp/pk u need hierograms, and u need dolls, both cs items

hierograms its a cs item for hp and mp, when u hp/mp down 2 50% u get full hp/mp with the hieros every 10sec, if u want kill a player u need kill him in max10sec or the hp/mp go full again, only in duels u cant use hieros, and yes hieros sux u.u

u need dolls cuz if u r pink/red u can drop equipement, if u use dolls when u died u dont drop gear but u lose the doll

this mmo killed the pvp/pk cuz u need "waste" cs items for pvp/pk ALWAYS

but u can go naked or with base weapons armour for pvp/pk for save the dolls, but u always need hieros

if u think in spend money in a f2p u can play PW, or farm many hrs for buy hieros from cs players(u need hieros not only for pvp/pk, u need hieros for pve also or zhen partys-aoe lv partys-)

a poor skill player with hieros and good armour/wep vs a good skill player with good armour/wep but without hieros=poor skill player win 99% of the time

cs player can beat u only for 1 cs item, the hieros

i play mmo only for pvp/gvg, i dont care about pve/quests/graphics/etc, the problem in PW is the hieros, is the worst thing in this mmo imho, and maybe 1 of the reasons why PW MY is full of carebears grinding all day
  • taelrak
    taelrak Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Why don't you just buy hieros of your own? It's one thing to say you lost because someone's better equipped than you due to luck in drops and craft results and whatnot (not a very persuasive argument imo anyway), but everyone has access to the same hieros.

The whole "poor" player thing isn't a very good excuse. There's an ingame economy for cash shop items, and you can make gold ingame to buy them from other players. Part of pking successfully is investing the time/effort/money that it takes to prepare yourself and make your character equipped to fight.

Gear won't make a huge difference for the average player, because almost everyone will be using similar gear - i.e. either green or gold HH with a couple enchants each way with a few mid-grade stones. Of course, if you're the odd person out who's still using 2-3 star gear instead of a full green/gold set, you'll suffer. On the other hand, if you're someone with full gold outfit with 4 sockets, enchant everything up to +8, and filled your sockets with grade 8+ soulstones, dual event rings, etc. you're going to have a significantly easier time pking other people.

More importantly, the weapon makes a huge difference. An archer with rank 8 military weapon is most likely going to win if he gets the jump on you.
  • ara
    ara Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Suprise is somewhat more important than skill/equipment actually.

Archers e.g. are a bit of a glass cannon class: If they suprise you, you are pretty much dead (stunshots, paralyze, crits,...), even with a hierogram (ok, maybe not Barbarians, still)

BUT: If an Archer is out there grinding/questing and YOU backstab him as Priest/Mage/Veno, he is pretty much dead (stuns, sleep, massive burst damage)

his +8 weapon won`t help him if he is dead before he can react, same as the other way around with your +8 weapon.

And well, of course someone who has full green/gold equip is better off than someone using 1star items, why not? He either spent real money or a LOT of time farming HH/Dungeons/Gold to finance the items he got.

If you want to complain: stop being lazy, go farm yourself some better gear, it`s not TOO hard to find parties for molderruns, HH,...

Also people will be selling Zen ingame, or the Hieros directly, so go farm some ingame gold (farm DQ items, farm molders, HH,..) and buy hieros for yourself.
  • koolk
    koolk Posts: 32 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    taelrak wrote: »
    Why don't you just buy hieros of your own? It's one thing to say you lost because someone's better equipped than you due to luck in drops and craft results and whatnot (not a very persuasive argument imo anyway), but everyone has access to the same hieros.

Well, you can say that statement about any player then... Since all equipment can be bought. You can buy equipment, you can buy heiros... Hey, you can even pay ppl to lose to you.

Asking people to buy Heiros is not going to fix the fact that equipment and CS items make a big difference in PvP. This is just the way the game is designed. Everyone here is just letting the OP understand the differences that CS Items and EQ make.

In the end, PvP is based on whoever has the most money and can buy the most/best EQ/CS Items.
  • magoo
    magoo Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    it sounds like gear plays a bigger part than in wow ,
    havent seen too much pking yet as im a nublet still.

I just hope its not a stand there and slug it out type with actual skill
    involved.
    :eek: :eek: :eek:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]