A question regarding PK servers with PvE alternatives.

Options
sile
sile Posts: 0 Arc User
edited August 2008 in Arigora Colosseum
I come from PW-MY where everyone's open season at level 30. It was my first open PvP game, and I thought I'd hate it. However, after having spent some time in it (and listening to the ridiculous butthurt world trumpeters, and playing the .****//GU games...cough), I actually think I like open PK games. I think they bring out the best or worst in people, and they create roles: some people are victims, others are ruthless killers, still others are protectors of nubs and such. When I found out that this game has a PK server, but also a PvE/PK-optional alternative, I was kinda disappointed. An obvious thing to assume would be that only PKers will play on the PK server (not victims, not protectors), and that instead of just having there be a chance to die (like on a game with no alternative), it would be certain that you'd get killed. If it makes any sense, I'm not a PKer, and I don't LIKE to be killed, but I like being at risk to be killed. It makes the game more interesting.

...tl;dr.

In short, my question is directed to people who have played on games with servers set up this way. What is it like to play on a PK server when all the non-PKers are playing elsewhere?
Post edited by sile on

Comments

• tres
    tres Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    There will still be those "roles" It'll just be more of a Survival of the Fittest as to who comes out as what.
  • sile
    edited August 2008
    Options
    omgz liek somebody replied to my thread.
    I wish they would just eliminate the PK-optional server. DX I know that's pretty obnoxious of me to say, and I'm probably the only non-PKer saying that, but srsly. I don't feel like being endlessly ganked (which is my possibly wrong perception of what being a non PKer on a PK server will be like), so I'm gonna end up on the whiny baby server. D:< Because I'm a whiny baby. D:<
  • troll
    troll Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    always ways to grief people no matter what server they roll.
  • tres
    edited August 2008
    Options
    You really don't need to be afraid of anything on the PK server. With this many ego's around there are bound to be people who hate the guts of the people that may or may not be ganking you. xD Run to them for help =p
  • sile
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I guess that's true. xD I just don't wanna have to resort to that just to be able to get by.
  • tres
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Find a strong guild to be a part of then =p
  • omitson
    omitson Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    There will always be good players that are godly PKers and have a "nice" rep. Others will try and achieve this. Being not knowing anything about PK will join these servers too.

In other words: a server will always have a very diverse population.
    ~ Omitson

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ren
    ren Posts: 662 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    sile wrote: »
    I come from PW-MY where everyone's open season at level 30. It was my first open PvP game, and I thought I'd hate it. However, after having spent some time in it (and listening to the ridiculous butthurt world trumpeters, and playing the .****//GU games...cough), I actually think I like open PK games. I think they bring out the best or worst in people, and they create roles: some people are victims, others are ruthless killers, still others are protectors of nubs and such. When I found out that this game has a PK server, but also a PvE/PK-optional alternative, I was kinda disappointed. An obvious thing to assume would be that only PKers will play on the PK server (not victims, not protectors), and that instead of just having there be a chance to die (like on a game with no alternative), it would be certain that you'd get killed. If it makes any sense, I'm not a PKer, and I don't LIKE to be killed, but I like being at risk to be killed. It makes the game more interesting.

...tl;dr.

In short, my question is directed to people who have played on games with servers set up this way. What is it like to play on a PK server when all the non-PKers are playing elsewhere?
    This post just flew over the heads of karmelia and soukyuu. :(
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Official PWI irc: (mirc command, opens in a new window and won't interfere with any servers you're already on) /server -m irc.deltaanime.net -j #pwint
  • karmelia
    karmelia Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    ren wrote: »

Cry some more.
    Frankieraye said : "we can promise that we will work to improve all facets of community, engineering, and customer service to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again."

(We are still waiting to see any improvements or changes beign implemented. More empty promises from PWI?)
  • tres
    edited August 2008
    Options

way to be productive.
  • ren
    edited August 2008
    Options
    karmelia wrote: »
    Cry some more.
    I suggest buying yourself a dictionary, because that's not even remotely crying. While your 86979469795068 posts about "mi no wunt get peekayed" IS.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Official PWI irc: (mirc command, opens in a new window and won't interfere with any servers you're already on) /server -m irc.deltaanime.net -j #pwint
  • esux
    esux Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Cry some more.

Your obsession with Ren is starting to become harassment.
  • troll
    edited August 2008
    Options
    esux wrote: »
    Your obsession with Ren is starting to become harassment.

hey wait.
    ren is the one who first mentioned karmelia's name in this thread, when she hadn't even posted in it, so yeah

^^gotta say, what impartial viewer said.
  • esux
    esux Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    troll wrote: »
    hey wait.

^^gotta say, what impartial viewer said.

It wouldn't be harassment if I was basing it on one thread.
  • troll
    edited August 2008
    Options
    esux wrote: »
    It wouldn't be harassment if I was basing it on one thread.

yeah but it looks to me and impartial here like it's a bit of back and forth.
  • ren
    edited August 2008
    Options
    ...Karmelia isn't a she. It's a man.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sigoh
    sigoh Posts: 341 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    omgz liek somebody replied to my thread.
    I wish they would just eliminate the PK-optional server. DX I know that's pretty obnoxious of me to say, and I'm probably the only non-PKer saying that, but srsly. I don't feel like being endlessly ganked (which is my possibly wrong perception of what being a non PKer on a PK server will be like), so I'm gonna end up on the whiny baby server. D:< Because I'm a whiny baby. D:<

I agree. I wish it would be just done away with. from what i hear there are going to be four servers? so during closed beta we are going to have what, maybe 1000 ppl a server? considering those who singed up and probably wont play, those who just wasted beta keys cuz they didnt know what they were doing, and those who are going to play maybe 10 hours throughout the whole CB, a couple hundred ppl per server? might as well make one big **** guild called "carebear" and let everyone join it, since your going to be partying with the same person over and over again anyway.

I say having a PvP optional server just makes it so that the players don't have to be resourceful. what a waste..
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chaotic Oblivion~Fated Twilight~Eternal Sorrow~Corrupted Fidelity
  • troll
    edited August 2008
    Options
    ...Karmelia isn't a she. It's a man.

that's ok, i'm not here to defend the laydies.
  • karmelia
    edited August 2008
    Options
    sigoh wrote: »
    might as well make one big **** guild called "carebear" and let everyone join it, since your going to be partying with the same person over and over again anyway.

No one force you to play closed beta. If you think you'll not enjoy it, I suggest you wait for the open beta or full release.

Closed beta is to test and do some tuning on the servers. You don't need 100.000 players for that.

As for the validity of the PvE servers, let's quote Orinj (an admin)
    Quote:
    fact: there will be two types of servers.
    fact: thou must deal with it.
    fact: no amount of complaining will change this.

Highlight is mine
    Frankieraye said : "we can promise that we will work to improve all facets of community, engineering, and customer service to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again."

(We are still waiting to see any improvements or changes beign implemented. More empty promises from PWI?)
  • itch
    itch Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Cry some more.

I fail to see how Ren is crying? Maybe if you would be a man enough to stop harassing him on every post and thread he makes, all this hostility would end?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sile
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I wasn't complaining about having a PvE server. I was asking what it's like.
  • karmelia
    edited August 2008
    Options

It's exactly like a PvP server, except that you have the option to turn PvP on or off (under certain conditions, like being white named.)

Nothing else is changed. Same events, mobs, etc...

• sraeo
    sraeo Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options

Poor sile's question was barely answered in the flame war that seemed to break out on this thread. .___.;;
  • sile
    edited August 2008
    Options
    It's exactly like a PvP server, except that you have the option to turn PvP on or off (under certain conditions, like being white named.)

Nothing else is changed. Same events, mobs, etc...

Oh yeah, I know that. I'm not THAT noobish. >_> What I meant was the community.
    And I phrased that wrong, I meant to ask about the PK server. I just wanna know if I can expect to get my butt handed to me every time I leave a safe zone, or will it be more like PW-MY where I was for the most part left alone, given I didn't **** anyone off?
  • tres
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Oh yeah, I know that. I'm not THAT noobish. >_> What I meant was the community.
    And I phrased that wrong, I meant to ask about the PK server. I just wanna know if I can expect to get my butt handed to me every time I leave a safe zone, or will it be more like PW-MY where I was for the most part left alone, given I didn't **** anyone off?

It'll probably be like PW-MY xD
  • ark
    ark Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    There will be a much less dense pure PKer population that people think there will be. PKers will probably want to level until at least 60 before they start PKing... RQ and various others will probably start PKing before that, but you won't see too many PKers for the erly parts of the game. If you're as high levelled as the rest of the crowd, then you should learn to survive like I did. Being PKed isn't really a big deal anyways, if you can't survive - I've been PKed a couple hundred times by Black/Myth. I only lost an item once in all that, and I never used dolls. If you're lower than average, then you probably won't be picked on as PKing lowbies is boring. Either way, you can always hang out in a party with people - that should ensure that solo PKers won't bother to try you.

There's probably a lot of people like you. Most of the server is like you, I suspect. It won't be bad.
    As a Guild,

Live as One, fight as One, win as One.
    Strength in Unity,
    Order through Chaos,
    Victory united.
  • karmelia
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I just wanna know if I can expect to get my butt handed to me every time I leave a safe zone, or will it be more like PW-MY where I was for the most part left alone, given I didn't **** anyone off?

There will probably be a bit more PKing since the server will mostly be populated by players inclined toward PvP, but you'll not be attacked every time you'll get out of safe zone.

Imagine the malaysian server with a bit more PvP action.

• sile
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Okay, thanks errybody. :D That was helpful.
  • rycos
    rycos Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I know it is mainly semantics, but if you hope to bring people over to a PvP server, dont call it a PK server.

Obviously there is only two or three things PvE people dont like, and one is the ganking. So calling it a PK Server is foolish. There are alot of other great aspects to PvP like stronger clan bonds, better TW since people are more accustomed by the time they get there, and clan warfare.

Even if it is just a somantic, calling it a PK server just doesnt make anyone come out of PvE.
  • haradeaz
    haradeaz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    The risc of being killed is a very common reason.
    It also created a certain relation with your friends / guild. They will protect you and visa versa.

I protect low lvl noobs that are being ganked by high lvl but also will kill everything that is in my way of farming mats ^^ ( only if they are taking what I need and only atk after a warning )

It creates a sfeer you absolutly love or hate :)

I for one love it