New to PW and need some specific info

Options
fossil
fossil Posts: 1 Arc User
edited August 2008 in Arigora Colosseum
Hello PW community!

I know you are all busy (or I hope so at least), so I'm gonna try to cut down on garbage questions and ask some worthwhile ones.

First, I must say I flat out love pvp, pk, large scale wars, the whole mess. One of the main reasons I decided to try out this game is because it seems to have a strong pvp system (I also read mystic's hilarious pvp/pk guide >:P). I've played guild wars, darkeden, rf online, and some other such games before, mainly to kill ****.

With that said, I arrive at my questions:

1.) How "customizable" are character skill builds? if I choose an EA, am I gonna be using the exact same skills as all other EAs? Is it even possible to play with a "non orthodox" skillset at a competitive level?

2.) I am thinking about being an Elvin Cleric. From what I hear, they hit hard (unlike in most other games) and can heal and buff...traits which seem very desirable for pvp. however, I also want to occasionally party with people, so what I want to know is, do most people still hold on to the thought of clerics as full-time healers? If I want to party and kick some ****, are people gonna be constantly shouting "ZOMG I NEDZ HEELZ NUBB!!"? Otherwise, please tell me if my impression of the EP's role is simply wrong.

3.) I'm not a huge fan of all-out grind-to-pwn games. for example, in rf online, someone just a few levels higher than me could easily **** me no matter what, but in darkeden, it was common for pvp upsets because the lower level might have been better equipped or simply more skilled. I guess what I'm trying to ask is, how wide are the power margins between levels and approximately how long does it take for an average player to level to a competitive level?

That is all for the moment. I'm bound to have more questions later, and I will post them here to cut down forum clutter.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post!

~Fossil

EDIT: Just thought of another question!

4.) How seriously is TW taken and how often is it? As much as I love to pk, the two hour red name penalty is gonna discourage me from doing it too much :(... Unless, is there a way around the penalty?
Post edited by fossil on

Comments

• whip
    whip Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    As i saw, the only wizard is a female, are we able to be a wizard and also be male?
    Name: Whip
    Server: East, But will be West in Open Beta
    Current Level: 43
  • jimmybobthorten
    jimmybobthorten Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I'll give my info based on the short time I played MY-EN. (3 character 1-40, Earned most of my info through my guild) So you'll need to clarify it with some higher leveled vets.

1. Character skill builds are quite flexible. There's plenty of ways to build your character for straight up PvP domination, or to just flat out slay every boss/dungeon out there.

2. My favorite character to play was the Elven Priest. Yes, they hit extremely well and are actually one of the more dominate classes in PvP. Depending on what kind of party you end up in, or what kind of raid/monster your doing, you shouldn't run into the spamming of "WTF HEAL ME PL0x". Now, the thing you will hear alot is "BUFFS NAO". EPs do extremely well in parties. They can dish out some great damage, and can provide heals and buffs when needed.

3. PvP in this game, from what I gathered, isn't based on who is the bigger grinder. It's based on how your character is built, the equipment your prepared with, the skills you have acquired, and your PvP strategy.

/Whip - There are 3 main magic classes. The human wizards, the beastkind werefoxes, and the elven priests. The races/classes are not gender set. Meaning you can be male or female, except for the Beast Kind. For the beast kind, The Were-Beasts are male only, and Were-Foxes are female only. (Which makes perfect sense)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    IGN:Thorjin
    Server:Lost City
    Class/LvL:EA/42
  • koz
    koz Posts: 465 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    fossil wrote: »
    Hello PW community!

I know you are all busy (or I hope so at least), so I'm gonna try to cut down on garbage questions and ask some worthwhile ones.

First, I must say I flat out love pvp, pk, large scale wars, the whole mess. One of the main reasons I decided to try out this game is because it seems to have a strong pvp system (I also read mystic's hilarious pvp/pk guide >:P). I've played guild wars, darkeden, rf online, and some other such games before, mainly to kill ****.

With that said, I arrive at my questions:

1.) How "customizable" are character skill builds? if I choose an EA, am I gonna be using the exact same skills as all other EAs? Is it even possible to play with a "non orthodox" skillset at a competitive level?

2.) I am thinking about being an Elvin Cleric. From what I hear, they hit hard (unlike in most other games) and can heal and buff...traits which seem very desirable for pvp. however, I also want to occasionally party with people, so what I want to know is, do most people still hold on to the thought of clerics as full-time healers? If I want to party and kick some ****, are people gonna be constantly shouting "ZOMG I NEDZ HEELZ NUBB!!"? Otherwise, please tell me if my impression of the EP's role is simply wrong.

3.) I'm not a huge fan of all-out grind-to-pwn games. for example, in rf online, someone just a few levels higher than me could easily **** me no matter what, but in darkeden, it was common for pvp upsets because the lower level might have been better equipped or simply more skilled. I guess what I'm trying to ask is, how wide are the power margins between levels and approximately how long does it take for an average player to level to a competitive level?

That is all for the moment. I'm bound to have more questions later, and I will post them here to cut down forum clutter.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post!

~Fossil

EDIT: Just thought of another question!

4.) How seriously is TW taken and how often is it? As much as I love to pk, the two hour red name penalty is gonna discourage me from doing it too much :(... Unless, is there a way around the penalty?

1. Skill builds are pretty much the same for the same classes of characters. Eventually you can even afford to buy all the skills.

2. Clerics are the only healers in the game. As soon as you get the blue bubble at doom culti you will always be useful in a party. Also note that the priests are actually weaker than mages, naturally. Also people won't be bugging you for heals, they will be bugging you for buffs xD

3. This game is a pretty slow grind. It's more quest based so you have to do the quests. Equipment will make you or break you in pvp. A level 60 with good gear could easily kill a level 70 with average gear.

4. TW when taking over an unoccupied land is usually on the weekends. If you bid on the territory and won, you will have the chance to try and take it over. At higher levels when most territories are owned you might have 4+ TWs because you can attack one and be defending other territories you own.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • whip
    edited August 2008
    Options
    I'll give my info based on the short time I played MY-EN. (3 character 1-40, Earned most of my info through my guild) So you'll need to clarify it with some higher leveled vets.

1. Character skill builds are quite flexible. There's plenty of ways to build your character for straight up PvP domination, or to just flat out slay every boss/dungeon out there.

2. My favorite character to play was the Elven Priest. Yes, they hit extremely well and are actually one of the more dominate classes in PvP. Depending on what kind of party you end up in, or what kind of raid/monster your doing, you shouldn't run into the spamming of "WTF HEAL ME PL0x". Now, the thing you will hear alot is "BUFFS NAO". EPs do extremely well in parties. They can dish out some great damage, and can provide heals and buffs when needed.

3. PvP in this game, from what I gathered, isn't based on who is the bigger grinder. It's based on how your character is built, the equipment your prepared with, the skills you have acquired, and your PvP strategy.

/Whip - There are 3 main magic classes. The human wizards, the beastkind werefoxes, and the elven priests. The races/classes are not gender set. Meaning you can be male or female, except for the Beast Kind. For the beast kind, The Were-Beasts are male only, and Were-Foxes are female only. (Which makes perfect sense)

So i'll be able to be male + wizard?
  • faruxue
    faruxue Posts: 243 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    Wizard/Cleric/Archer/Warrior

you can play these 4 classes as male or female
    ULTIMATE TOPIC:
    See 3 RQ get owned by 1 WB
    copy and paste onto your web link
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=33421
  • whip
    edited August 2008
    Options
    oh ok then, Well this game seems like it will be alot of fun, can't wait till it comes out.
  • prosper
    prosper Posts: 335 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options

Clerics can, very well, be nukers. It's not a misimpression at all. However, you're likely to take a lot of abuse for being a nuker rather than healer. People will get mad at you for not healing, ask why you aren't, and when you tell them you're an attack Cleric, they call you useless and kick you from party. Seriously. And if you do go nuker, you will not have anywhere near enough skill points left over for buffs and heals until lvl 80ish, unless you go hybrid.

Also as a side note, even support Clerics are expected to attack mobs when their heals are not needed for even 10 seconds. So if you do go healer, you'll still get a lot of nuking in anyways.

On TW... You do not go red-named from killing people in wars. It's penalty-free, which also means no exp loss (or gain) and no item dropping. :D
    And as for how seriously it's taken...often, quite seriously. People can get really butthurt over it, and there is much e-pen0r waving to behold. Ahh, how I love drama. >_> But hell, it could be worse.
  • karmelia
    karmelia Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options

Everyone of the same class end up with the same skill. Only variation may be that some will choose to maximise one skill instead of another. But in the long run, you will end up with the same skills as all the others of your profession.

"non-orthodox" builds as you said don't work too well. For exemple, you could make an axe wielding cleric, but you will not be able to learn any attack skills usable with the axes and will not be able to cast spells with the axes equipped.
    3.) how long does it take for an average player to level to a competitive level?

The higher level you are, the better you will be. So it end up that the ones who spend the more time and money ingame will have the better chances.
    Frankieraye said : "we can promise that we will work to improve all facets of community, engineering, and customer service to ensure that something like this doesn't happen again."

(We are still waiting to see any improvements or changes beign implemented. More empty promises from PWI?)
  • emir
    emir Posts: 176 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Options
    thanks for asking these questiosn helped me out a lot aswel ^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]