Postcount & Spam

sahrai
sahrai Posts: 5 Arc User
edited August 2008 in Suggestion Box
The amount of spam on these forums at the moment is insane, so much so I am willing to bet that 90% of the forum posts at the moment has no useful content.

I think the reason for this spam is pretty clear, people just want to increase their post count.

So, I suggest limiting the areas where post count actually increases. I guess Off-Topic discussion is one area where post-count can be removed.

I realize in doing this the spammers will move to different sections, but I think with heavier forum modding - actually deleting the useless posts, the posts that drag the original thread way off-topic, the posts that insight the flame wars, it will eventually stop.

Perhaps even resetting the offenders post count would be enough of a deterrent...

I know this suggestion is probably in vain but I would really like to see the hostility and spam stop :(
Official PWI irc: irc.deltaanime.net #pwint
IdleRPG with hilarious customizations included. No chat penalty; others remain the same.
Post edited by sahrai on

Comments

• ark
    ark Posts: 1,635 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    <
    Contributor to 30% of the total forum spam. :cool:. For the record, I don't do it to up the post count. I do it because I feel like it.
    As a Guild,

Live as One, fight as One, win as One.
    Strength in Unity,
    Order through Chaos,
    Victory united.
  • arcane
    arcane Posts: 1,084 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    Same. I do it cuz I have nothing better to do while talking on vent >.>
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Doin' it my way.
  • sahrai
    edited August 2008
    ark wrote: »
    <
    Contributor to 30% of the total forum spam. :cool:. For the record, I don't do it to up the post count. I do it because I feel like it.

This is a suggestion thread. Discussion here should pertain to the suggestion and not be another used as another reason to increase your post count... otherwise it's just ... :eek: ... spam!
    IdleRPG with hilarious customizations included. No chat penalty; others remain the same.
  • ark
    edited August 2008
    Err, it was just a light comment. Take it easy :p

Anyways, I disagree. The spam isn't that bad... the forums are actually just right(if a bit slow) imo.
    As a Guild,

Strength in Unity,
    Order through Chaos,
    Victory united.
  • tlas
    tlas Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    ark wrote: »
    Err, it was just a light comment. Take it easy :p

Anyways, I disagree. The spam isn't that bad... the forums are actually just right(if a bit slow) imo.

agreed. without some sort of posting, this place would be boring. What if we only had the 10% "useful" posts? nobody would even come here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sealed
    sealed Posts: 781
    edited August 2008
    The reason isnt because people want their post count up, its because everyone is bored since CB hasnt started yet.

sealed~
  • rufus
    rufus Posts: 104 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    exactly. the game hasn't even started yet. there is nothing but spam to post really.
  • sphinx
    sphinx Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    wow does it really matter if someones post count is 50 or 750? i dont think so haha in fact i could are less. Go ark go ^^
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ninjer
    ninjer Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    But, but, if we reduce the spam we can't all laugh at carlos as much. D:!
  • devotion
    devotion Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    ark's gonna be the first to hit 1k
    I like to rub it in. Enjoying the game?
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=1810092&postcount=6
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=3518732&postcount=17
    pwi-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=3986762&postcount=6
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ark
    edited August 2008
    You betcha ;)
    As a Guild,

Strength in Unity,
    Order through Chaos,
    Victory united.
  • leon
    leon Posts: 42 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    I was thinking of posting a pic of spam but its too cliche. What do you guys think? XD
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    ~Leon
  • june
    june Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    leon wrote: »
    I was thinking of posting a pic of spam but its too cliche. What do you guys think? XD

Hmmm.... I didn't think it was possible for us to post images, only links. :confused::confused: However, one could change the image in their signature into a picture of Spam. :cool::cool:

Edit: I didn't notice we could post images in the screenshots forum until now! Is that permission set for all other forums too?

Allowing post count to increase in the "Off-Topic" Forum, at least allows those who wish solely to increase their post count to concentrate their effort there, instead of overflowing the rest of the forums with spam.
  • merulz
    merulz Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    The higher your post count, the more arguments you win just because of it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Perfect World IRC:
    Server: irc.deltaanime.net
    Channel: #pwint
  • t0yo
    t0yo Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    I just spam because I'm desu don't ruin these boards like the pw-my ones!!!!

I'm sick of people trying to change the only good things this server has D:!!!!!

and I actually make up for some of my random spam with totally in depth philosophical posts >_>!
  • meatshield
    meatshield Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    sahrai wrote: »
    This is a suggestion thread. Discussion here should pertain to the suggestion and not be another used as another reason to increase your post count... otherwise it's just ... :eek: ... spam!

You just spammed.

You are not a mod, You have no say on what is spam and what isn't.

His post was relevant to the topic, thus it was not spam.

Your post telling him otherwise would be considered spam because it was irrelevant.

You sir, are a hypocrite!

RESET HIS POST COUNT!
    Pray for mercy.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

When kneeling before us gets old.
    RQClan.com
  • embl3m
    embl3m Posts: 494 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    is it spammy to have an average of 11 post a day
  • puppetsoul
    puppetsoul Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    sahrai wrote: »
    So, I suggest limiting the areas where post count actually increases. I guess Off-Topic discussion is one area where post-count can be removed.

Perhaps even resetting the offenders post count would be enough of a deterrent...

Wow. Just wow. Somebody QQing over postcount like it actually matters.

"Oh yeah, well I have 1,513 posts on the PerfectWorld forum! Take THAT!"

When I pick up chicks, I don't need a puppy, I just stencil my intimidating postcount onto the chest of whatever t-shirt I'm wearing. So what if it's upside-down? It doesn't matter. Just one glimpse of the sheer girth of numberage drops their panties like they were tied to an anchor and thrown overboard. Every comma equates to another time she must fel... and it's no longer kid friendly so I'm just gonna go ahead and delete the rest of this farce.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sahrai
    edited August 2008
    meatshield wrote: »

His post was relevant to the topic, thus it was not spam.

Your post telling him otherwise would be considered spam because it was irrelevant.

His post did not add anything to the suggestion, be it for or against. I could care less what his actual opinion was on the matter (and frankly, I did expect all this), so long as it was discussion on my original post and it was not.

Though I have since come to learn that seems to be the caliber of discussion I can expect here, thus the reason I have ignored this topic up until now.
    puppetsoul wrote: »
    Wow. Just wow. Somebody QQing over postcount like it actually matters.

"Oh yeah, well I have 1,513 posts on the PerfectWorld forum! Take THAT!"

Post count matters? Not really. I could care less what your post count is, my post count is or joe blog's post count is. What I did (notice the past tense?) care about was the people who intentionally spam "Hay, my postcount is 555" in a topic and then someone else goes "lolz i catching u" and its a spam fest from there.

But like I said, I don't care anymore. With all the spam, stupid questions, and Karmelia (Yeah, you're an instigator) pushing everyone in to debate then walking away scot-free like some innocent child... these forums are far from pleasurable to read.
  • kins
    kins Posts: 35 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    embl3m wrote: »
    is it spammy to have an average of 11 post a day

Nope, but when you hit 15 posts a day you will ne reset because you're spamming :p

Just kidding :cool:

Anyway, who cares about people talking nonsense. Just imagine a world with only useful information.... How dull would it be?
    I don't use a signature.... I'm just cool like that!:cool:
  • meatshield
    meatshield Posts: 100 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    These forums would SUCK without spam.

I don't even consider what most people do spam, i consider it CONVERSATION.

Spam is responding to topics with things like.

"lol"

":D"

"y lyke turkey y **** your mom"

Those are examples of spam, what we have here is a community that has fun on forums. That makes the game grow, what you want is BORING.
    Pray for mercy.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

When kneeling before us gets old.
    RQClan.com
  • siany
    siany Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    ^ I agree with the post above; to me spam is stuff like posting one word replies to threads and/or totally derailing them.

Spammers will always find a way to do so and sooner or later they'll realise that post count means f*** all. Keyboard warriors, imo.
  • prosper
    prosper Posts: 335 Arc User
    edited August 2008
    But I like the spam. Oftentimes it's more interesting than the posts with actual ontopic content. =D