Windows 10 + ATI cards, latest updates issue + fix

aetje
aetje Posts: 48 Arc User
Bashed my head against the wall for a while with this... seems the latest Windows 10 updates are messing up the drivers for older ATI cards (Radeon HD4000 series and older). Windows 10 now seems to prefer the default "Generic VGA" driver over the legacy ATI drivers. Which disables 3D accelleration. Which royally messes up any 3D gaming and prevents your monitor from being autodetected properly (so the resolution drops to 1024x786)

To fix it: Go into the device manager. Find your videocard, select properties, update the driver. Tell Windows you'll manually search, then manually select. Then select the legacy driver from 2015 rather then the generic VGA bullcrap from november this year which doesn't work.

*one annoyed support tech that is very close to disabling W10 automatic updates alltogether if this keeps up*

Comments

• phantomforce#4598
    phantomforce#4598 Posts: 397 Community Moderator
    I would normally recommend downloading the driver from ATI/Nvidia instead of this method.

I think it's a known issue that large Windows updates tent to replace the video driver with the Windows default drivers. This is sommething that was common as far back as Windows Vista. It's not exclusive to Windows 10, or a new issue.​​
  • aetje
    aetje Posts: 48 Arc User
    Unfortunately, for legacy cards (I have a rather antiquated Radeon HD4890, for PWI this more then suffices) this isn't an option. The ATI Catalyst drivers for Windows 10 only support HD5000 and upward. There are no drivers from the manufacturer that support older cards, only the standard Windows drivers.
  • fury85
    fury85 Posts: 277 Arc User
    Did you tried to install driver for windows 8 x64? or the driver for HD5000? Many time the driver package is the same.
    Roar_King
    Level 105 Barbarian with Deity Stone
  • kinzert
    kinzert Posts: 13 Arc User
    Windows just finished doing a big update and now I cant play in full screen. The display flickers like it cant figure out what full screen resolution is. I change it to window mode and it works fine.
  • goldfinch47
    goldfinch47 Posts: 182 Arc User
    edited January 2018
    I'm glad I'm stuck with Windows 7.
  • heerohex#3018
    heerohex#3018 Posts: 4,795 Community Moderator
    As far as I knew u where not able to run in Windows 10 full mode at all.

At least you are able to do window mode.
  • phantomforce#4598
    phantomforce#4598 Posts: 397 Community Moderator
    heero200 wrote: »

I think this has been fixed for a while. I do it.​​
  • heerohex#3018
    heerohex#3018 Posts: 4,795 Community Moderator
    I'm outa date then

Still using XP n 7 here ...
  • mynamewasstolen
    mynamewasstolen Posts: 56 Arc User
    heero200 wrote: »

ive been able to for as long as I've had windows 10, although it is glitchy on the scaling and i can only choose certain resolutions. 1360*768 (but not 1366*768) and 1920*1080 work fine on my 1080p native resolution. otherwise the edges get cropped out. Under 7 I could run 1600x900 full screen on a 1080p native resolution no problem. I preferred it that way because everything was easier to read and skill buttons are larger (relatively speaking). Now it either overcrowded UI or tiny stuff. would be nice to play at 1080 with some text and skill bars i can see. And would be even nicer if i can do that in 4k resolution when I unlock virtual super resolution.
    I'm glad I'm stuck with Windows 7.
    youre not missing much, tbh. windows 10 comes with a lot of features designed for mobile devices which are absolutely useless on a desktop - but supports direct x12 for gaming which is the only reason i upgraded. PWI still runs on DX8 (or 9 i forget which), so if its the only game you play on PC and have no other reason to make the jump to 10.. stay on 7.
    By the light of the moon, our true forms are revealed.