Laptop Specs For The Game's Highest Setting

Hello, PWI players!
I would just like to ask you guys especially the laptop geeks out there if this certain gaming laptop can run this game to its highest setting while still maintaining a good fps in a very populated area.

This is the laptop - (ASUS ROG Strix GL753 17.3" Gaming Laptop - Black (Intel Core i7-7700HQ/ 1TB+128GB SSD/16GB RAM/Win 10))
The specs can be found here - (http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/asus-asus-rog-strix-gl753-17-3-gaming-laptop-black-intel-core-i7-7700hq-1tb128gb-ssd-16gb-ram-win-10-gl753ve-bs71-cb/10573746.aspx?)

I really appreciate any responses and sorry if I posted this post into a wrong section.

Comments

• keihan007#7641
    keihan007#7641 Posts: 1,190 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    It doesnt really matter how powerful comp/laptop you have, this game wont run perfectly due poor game engine. That being said, I dont see any problems with that laptops specs to run this game as well as anything can. I would wait for real geeks to hit this thread before hitting buy button though.
    BlackList vs Frenzied 3/17

https://youtu.be/RkkWkigYd3k
  • diorbebe
    diorbebe Posts: 7 Arc User
    I have an alienware 17, with 1070 graphics and the game still lags at full graphics when in the opposition's base, and also during xtw at the opposing side's dragon, even with very little people.

so yeah.. what saxroll said.
  • noblesserai#2642
    noblesserai#2642 Posts: 20 Arc User
    saxroll wrote: »
    It doesnt really matter how powerful comp/laptop you have, this game wont run perfectly due poor game engine. That being said, I dont see any problems with that laptops specs to run this game as well as anything can. I would wait for real geeks to hit this thread before hitting buy button though.

I guess I'll wait for more responses then.
  • noblesserai#2642
    diorbebe wrote: »
    I have an alienware 17, with 1070 graphics and the game still lags at full graphics when in the opposition's base, and also during xtw at the opposing side's dragon, even with very little people.

so yeah.. what saxroll said.

1070 and still lags? Damn, the laptop I'm trying to buy only has 1050 ti graphics.
  • shopcheese
    shopcheese Posts: 758 Arc User
    edited August 2017
    Yes, you'll never be able to run a 100% smooth game here, its sad.
    I am not a computer expert or anything, I barely know about specs etc, I have no idea how good that laptops graphic card is, but i'll tell you my own experience over the years anwyay.
    I have played PWI on various of laptops, some half that laptops price, some on the exactly same price, and they all felt no different from eachother, but Im sorry I dont remember their graphic card. They had decent speed and everything, I think my last laptop was very similiar in specs and price to this one, I could easily multiclient, but playing on max graphic in crowded places were a no-go.
    A year ago, I bought my current laptop with a GTX 970 graphic card, and for the first time I really felt a difference. Sure in a TW 80v80 it can lag if you are in the big group, and so does a 60v60 xTW at the dragon. But its not worse than turning on simple models and turning down some lighting settings and it usually feels fine again, I have the graphic settings maxed regardless. My effects and graphics are always maxed out no matter how many clients I have open, and I really have no trouble in crowded places at all anymore.
  • dingo488
    dingo488 Posts: 936 Arc User
    If you want to run PWI optimally on max graphics without terrible FPS I suggest buying a computer from 1995
  • noblesserai#2642
    shopcheese wrote: »
    Yes, you'll never be able to run a 100% smooth game here, its sad.
    I am not a computer expert or anything, I barely know about specs etc, I have no idea how good that laptops graphic card is, but i'll tell you my own experience over the years anwyay.
    I have played PWI on various of laptops, some half that laptops price, some on the exactly same price, and they all felt no different from eachother, but Im sorry I dont remember their graphic card. They had decent speed and everything, I think my last laptop was very similiar in specs and price to this one, I could easily multiclient, but playing on max graphic in crowded places were a no-go.
    A year ago, I bought my current laptop with a GTX 970 graphic card, and for the first time I really felt a difference. Sure in a TW 80v80 it can lag if you are in the big group, and so does a 60v60 xTW at the dragon. But its not worse than turning on simple models and turning down some lighting settings and it usually feels fine again, I have the graphic settings maxed regardless. My effects and graphics are always maxed out no matter how many clients I have open, and I really have no trouble in crowded places at all anymore.

Would you please mind telling me your laptop name?
  • noblesserai#2642
    dingo488 wrote: »
    If you want to run PWI optimally on max graphics without terrible FPS I suggest buying a computer from 1995

Computer from 1995 run slower than today's computer tho.
  • shopcheese
    shopcheese Posts: 758 Arc User
    I bought my laptop as custom build and picked specs by myself, it doesnt really have a name.
  • jsxshadow
    jsxshadow Posts: 1,414 Arc User
    I even tried as much as installing the game on a ram disk (16 gb with 32 gb ram) locking it to 1 single CPU core @5GHZ) and still...you won't get a lagfree experience...ever. it's impossible.
  • noblesserai#2642
    shopcheese wrote: »
    I bought my laptop as custom build and picked specs by myself, it doesnt really have a name.

I see, okay thanks for your reply.
  • noblesserai#2642
    jsxshadow wrote: »
    I even tried as much as installing the game on a ram disk (16 gb with 32 gb ram) locking it to 1 single CPU core @5GHZ) and still...you won't get a lagfree experience...ever. it's impossible.

I guess the game engine of this game really is that old huh.
  • phantomforce#4598
    phantomforce#4598 Posts: 397 Community Moderator
    jsxshadow wrote: »

I guess the game engine of this game really is that old huh.

Has not been updated since it's design in 2004. It is not able to detect/use multi-core CPU's. SylenThunder did a lot of testing and data around here somewhere. There is basically no way to get a solid FPS.​​
  • sarrafeline
    sarrafeline Posts: 152 Arc User
    PWI's game uses a single core, single thread, DirectX 8 based, 2005 game engine. It was 'updated' a few years ago to DX9.0c, but it still uses DX8 rendering engine.

I have a Core i5 4440 3.1 ghz CPU, and a 980 video card. My Graphics card sits at like 20% while running PWI because the CPU is holding it back. Basically, data gets read from your hard drive and put into RAM. From RAM, it goes to the CPU, processed, then sent to your GPU for rendering, and some data is sent back to your CPU.

IF PWI's game engine could utilize more than a single core/thread, then it probably would be able to use more than 20% of my GPU. Since it's limited to a single core/thread, it's highly dependent on single thread performance, and since 2011, Intel and AMD have focused heavily on multi-core, multi-thread performance, and let IPC stagnate.

What does this mean? It means that a top of the line DirectX 9.0c video card, a dual core CPU with higher IPC capabilities, and an SSD are the best that you can do for your game performance. An i7, or i9, or Threadripper won't give you any more performance benefit over an older i5 or i3, because PWI can't run on multiple cores.

The last note: ARC likes to run an entire thread/core up to 100%, so a single core, single thread CPU wouldn't be a good idea, even if you are running without ARC. A new game engine could 'fix' this, and bring up performance, but don't kid yourselves. I saw the thread about the demo for the possible new game engine, and quite honestly, who would put a new game engine into a game that's 11+ years old? PWE seems to be trying to steer PWI players towards new games... If PWI is to run for another 10 years, though, it WILL eventually need a new engine. We'll have to jsut wait and see, I guess.
  • noblesserai#2642
    PWI's game uses a single core, single thread, DirectX 8 based, 2005 game engine. It was 'updated' a few years ago to DX9.0c, but it still uses DX8 rendering engine.

I have a Core i5 4440 3.1 ghz CPU, and a 980 video card. My Graphics card sits at like 20% while running PWI because the CPU is holding it back. Basically, data gets read from your hard drive and put into RAM. From RAM, it goes to the CPU, processed, then sent to your GPU for rendering, and some data is sent back to your CPU.

IF PWI's game engine could utilize more than a single core/thread, then it probably would be able to use more than 20% of my GPU. Since it's limited to a single core/thread, it's highly dependent on single thread performance, and since 2011, Intel and AMD have focused heavily on multi-core, multi-thread performance, and let IPC stagnate.

What does this mean? It means that a top of the line DirectX 9.0c video card, a dual core CPU with higher IPC capabilities, and an SSD are the best that you can do for your game performance. An i7, or i9, or Threadripper won't give you any more performance benefit over an older i5 or i3, because PWI can't run on multiple cores.

The last note: ARC likes to run an entire thread/core up to 100%, so a single core, single thread CPU wouldn't be a good idea, even if you are running without ARC. A new game engine could 'fix' this, and bring up performance, but don't kid yourselves. I saw the thread about the demo for the possible new game engine, and quite honestly, who would put a new game engine into a game that's 11+ years old? PWE seems to be trying to steer PWI players towards new games... If PWI is to run for another 10 years, though, it WILL eventually need a new engine. We'll have to jsut wait and see, I guess.

Your answer was very helpful to me. I really like this game a lot but it seems that I wouldnt be able to enjoy this game's potential. I might as well think of playing another game in the future if new game engine wont be coming this year or mid 2018.
  • cefre
    cefre Posts: 23 Arc User
    Above is true. Since the engine is kinda old it's doesn't support multicore / multithread. If u want the best performance don't buy any high end notebook coz it's doesnot change anything. Rather build a semi-old pc for PWI for relative cheap. I suggest for i3 (google for the best single core / single thread cpu) and I suggest you a GF7950GX2 vga what is one of the best dx9 card. However if u won't new socket cpu you even can get an older AMD cpu on socket 939, maybe a San Diego core AMD Athlon should be fine, however those CPUs only support ddr1 rams and kinda hard to find mobo what is support more then 8gb. If u want over 8, then I suggest you for socket940 and opteron CPUs with ECC rams
  • rieihdius
    rieihdius Posts: 468 Arc User
    Hello, PWI players!
    I would just like to ask you guys especially the laptop geeks out there if this certain gaming laptop can run this game to its highest setting while still maintaining a good fps in a very populated area.

This is the laptop - (ASUS ROG Strix GL753 17.3" Gaming Laptop - Black (Intel Core i7-7700HQ/ 1TB+128GB SSD/16GB RAM/Win 10))
    The specs can be found here - (http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/asus-asus-rog-strix-gl753-17-3-gaming-laptop-black-intel-core-i7-7700hq-1tb128gb-ssd-16gb-ram-win-10-gl753ve-bs71-cb/10573746.aspx?)

I really appreciate any responses and sorry if I posted this post into a wrong section.

That laptop should run this game with no problem at all.
    Most of what the other people told you is true. However I do not recomend you to get older hardware. Why?
    Because while is true that this game use single core and barely touch your Graphic card, remember you are also running an Operative system, plus maybe some other addtional stuff like security software, some sort of comunication software (skype or whatever), music player, etc, etc.
    If you try to run all that in some old pc, your perfomance will suffer.
    Also while is true that during the last years cpu companies are more focused on multi thread performance than single core and IPC does not increase dramatically each year. That does not mean that a cpu from 2010 will run this better than something from 2016+

Just to give you a plain example: from a lot of computer that I tested this game, and after running the game on 3 that I currently still have access, here are some results...

samsung r480
    Laptop from 2010 ; i3 330M + nvidia 330m (not sure if exact same gp model since im not looking at it now :D )
    3 GB ram
    500 GB Hdd
    win 10 pro 32 bits
    It runs ok on low populated area(30 to 65 fps), runs very bad in populated area (15 to 35fps).
    Unknown on in high populated pvp events, but I can guess that if runs bad on west archo, probably is unplayable in something like Xtw or a big TW. :D

Some Custom Pc from 2010 : :D
    Amd Atlhon 64 X3, radeon 5570
    16GB ram
    hdd 1TB + hdd 2 TB
    win10 64 pro
    Runs really good on low populated zones, even with everything at max (more than 60 fps)
    Runs bad on high populated areas with graphics at max. (less than 25 fps)
    Run ok on high populated areas with lower graphics (30 to 45 which is still playable)
    Unplayable on pvp events with too many players, this both with high or low graphics, specially if there are stormbringers and clerics doing their shiny stuff :D (0 fps to 2 fps.... perma stuttering slide show :D )
    Unplayable on pvp events with too many players even with best performance + simple models (0fps to 7fps) :D

Custom Pc from 2017
    Amd Ryzen 1700, Sapphire Radeon Rx 480 Nitro
    16GB ram
    ssd 275GB + hdd 2TB
    Win10 64 home

runs really good on low populated areas even with all maxed (95 to 250 fps)
    runs ok on crowed zones even with all maxed (35 to 110 fps aprox)
    almost the same if I low graphics a bit (40 to 110)
    runs mehh on pvp event with too many players with all graphics maxed (25 to 62 with some random stuttering now and then)
    same as before if I lower the graphics (27 to 65)
    runs fine on populated pvp events at best performance (35 to 90).

My advice is: Buy a computer that can run current games (if you can pay for it) and play this game too if you want.
    If something can run games from this year with decent performance, PWI should run fine even with max graphics, the only part of the game that will make any computer suffer are crowed PVP events like large scalle Mass PK, TW, NW and XTW. And when I say large scalle I am talking about 30 or more people on screen at same time trowing all kind of shiny skills.

• foley3k
    foley3k Posts: 446 Arc User
    edited August 2017

What this guy said. The game really isn't designed to "run better".
    Buying a gaming PC or laptop for this game is like putting a bowtie (your computer) on a terd (this game). It's still a terd.

I hear there is a new engine in development? If that is released for this game and it doesn't royally **** everything up (it probably will.), than a better computer might be better.

I would suggest to only upgrade your computer only for other games, and not for this one specifically.
    NGTUy53.png

• noblesserai#2642
    rieihdius wrote: »
    Hello, PWI players!

That laptop should run this game with no problem at all.
    Most of what the other people told you is true. However I do not recomend you to get older hardware. Why?
    Because while is true that this game use single core and barely touch your Graphic card, remember you are also running an Operative system, plus maybe some other addtional stuff like security software, some sort of comunication software (skype or whatever), music player, etc, etc.
    If you try to run all that in some old pc, your perfomance will suffer.
    Also while is true that during the last years cpu companies are more focused on multi thread performance than single core and IPC does not increase dramatically each year. That does not mean that a cpu from 2010 will run this better than something from 2016+

Just to give you a plain example: from a lot of computer that I tested this game, and after running the game on 3 that I currently still have access, here are some results...

samsung r480
    Laptop from 2010 ; i3 330M + nvidia 330m (not sure if exact same gp model since im not looking at it now :D )
    3 GB ram
    500 GB Hdd
    win 10 pro 32 bits
    It runs ok on low populated area(30 to 65 fps), runs very bad in populated area (15 to 35fps).
    Unknown on in high populated pvp events, but I can guess that if runs bad on west archo, probably is unplayable in something like Xtw or a big TW. :D

Some Custom Pc from 2010 : :D
    Amd Atlhon 64 X3, radeon 5570
    16GB ram
    hdd 1TB + hdd 2 TB
    win10 64 pro
    Runs really good on low populated zones, even with everything at max (more than 60 fps)
    Runs bad on high populated areas with graphics at max. (less than 25 fps)
    Run ok on high populated areas with lower graphics (30 to 45 which is still playable)
    Unplayable on pvp events with too many players, this both with high or low graphics, specially if there are stormbringers and clerics doing their shiny stuff :D (0 fps to 2 fps.... perma stuttering slide show :D )
    Unplayable on pvp events with too many players even with best performance + simple models (0fps to 7fps) :D

Custom Pc from 2017
    Amd Ryzen 1700, Sapphire Radeon Rx 480 Nitro
    16GB ram
    ssd 275GB + hdd 2TB
    Win10 64 home

runs really good on low populated areas even with all maxed (95 to 250 fps)
    runs ok on crowed zones even with all maxed (35 to 110 fps aprox)
    almost the same if I low graphics a bit (40 to 110)
    runs mehh on pvp event with too many players with all graphics maxed (25 to 62 with some random stuttering now and then)
    same as before if I lower the graphics (27 to 65)
    runs fine on populated pvp events at best performance (35 to 90).

My advice is: Buy a computer that can run current games (if you can pay for it) and play this game too if you want.
    If something can run games from this year with decent performance, PWI should run fine even with max graphics, the only part of the game that will make any computer suffer are crowed PVP events like large scalle Mass PK, TW, NW and XTW. And when I say large scalle I am talking about 30 or more people on screen at same time trowing all kind of shiny skills.

This answer was very detailed and gave me an insight about the graphics of the game especially testing the fps on both low and high populated areas. Thank you so much.
  • noblesserai#2642
    foley3k wrote: »

What this guy said. The game really isn't designed to "run better".
    Buying a gaming PC or laptop for this game is like putting a bowtie (your computer) on a terd (this game). It's still a terd.

I hear there is a new engine in development? If that is released for this game and it doesn't royally **** everything up (it probably will.), than a better computer might be better.

I would suggest to only upgrade your computer only for other games, and not for this one specifically.

They always mess everything up when there's something big is gonna be released so that's "normal" for PWI players nowadays. Im not gonna use the laptop i mentioned above just for PWI anyways. I will also gonna use it to play high tier games and also for my computer program. Anyways, if new engine comes up, that's good to hear.
  • sylenthunder
    sylenthunder Posts: 3,061 Community Moderator
    System 1
    CPU: Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4GHz
    RAM: 8GB
    GPU: GTX660Ti 2GB

System 2
    CPU: i73930k
    RAM: 16GB
    GPU GTX1060 6GB

They get almost identical FPS. The only real difference is less wait on loading screens with System 2.
    As previously noted, System 1 is about 5 generations better than what the game was designed to support.​​
    582c1776c46eef7b527939a98b9d95a5.png

Support Email: customerservice@perfectworld.com
    ​​
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!