Do you think it is better to have....

eirghan
eirghan Posts: 1,912 Arc User
edited May 2017 in General Discussion
Tell us why!

Do you think it is better to have.... 24 votes

One massively/max geared character that is completely overpowered
70%
antonio0590evilhearted22blazerboydanieldigginsnbreakingshade13zentfamilyzigheart92aspiringapathynightmare201xdragonxxark95cheats69givemeapskumalcakalystconquerer#0876folplnv#1566 17 votes
Multiple well geared characters that are still viable but slightly less overpowered
29%
greenfire312teabaggamynn1993shapoopishopcheesebadsesyshineni#2821 7 votes

Comments

• catgirldesu
    catgirldesu Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    Neither from my perspective. Just play what you enjoy playing. It could be just one class (that ends up geared and overpowered) or multiple classes (that end up viable but not overpowered). Whatever makes you happy.

Edit: Who broke the forums :S my color code is not working anymore.
    ​​
  • eirghan
    Yes that is what the poll is asking :) Do you think its better (makes you happier) to play one character or multiple characters?

I am not sure why forums is weird. maybe its just on polls? My colours are not working either.​​
  • aspiringapathy
    aspiringapathy Posts: 66 Arc User
    I prefer to focus on one character, I have multiple alts but I dislike dailies enough as it is...I'd loathe to try and maintain 3-4-5 toons.
  • catgirldesu
    catgirldesu Posts: 993 Arc User
    eirghan wrote: »
    Yes that is what the poll is asking :) Do you think its better (makes you happier) to play one character or multiple characters?

I didn't like other classes enough to play them as much as my Venomancer so my answer to the poll is still neither monkey-47.gif. I'm only sticking to one character because PW has yet to make another class that makes me truly love it; not necessarily because it makes me happier to focus on one character. Well, it was technically two, but with the Glyph update there is less of a reason to have two Venomancers with one cultivation each.

​​
  • blazerboy
    blazerboy Posts: 1,673 Arc User
    I do like the idea of Alts multi chars is fun as hell but with the amount of dailies for just maintenance it's just too much work for even serious gamers. Unless it's diff accounts and you don't mind doing the same things on 2 chars or doing same things twice no thanks there's just too much dailies. Maybe if you don't work or have studies then it's possible and if you're in this position a game should not even be your main focus lol
    105/105/105 Seeking ScallyMode
    http://mypers.pw/5/#258958
  • eirghan
    eirghan wrote: »

I didn't like other classes enough to play them as much as my Venomancer so my answer to the poll is still neither monkey-47.gif. I'm only sticking to one character because PW has yet to make another class that makes me truly love it; not necessarily because it makes me happier to focus on one character. Well, it was technically two, but with the Glyph update there is less of a reason to have two Venomancers with one cultivation each.

Wow you're right I didnt think of that! I guess it really closes the gap between the two cultivations for you quite a lot, or at least there is a lot of options now.
    blazerboy wrote: »
    I do like the idea of Alts multi chars is fun as hell but with the amount of dailies for just maintenance it's just too much work for even serious gamers. Unless it's diff accounts and you don't mind doing the same things on 2 chars or doing same things twice no thanks there's just too much dailies. Maybe if you don't work or have studies then it's possible and if you're in this position a game should not even be your main focus lol

Heh you and @aspiringapathy both think the same way. It's a good point, dailies on more than one character is a lot of work!​​
  • blazerboy
    blazerboy Posts: 1,673 Arc User
    @eirghn if you can balance 2+ chars on dailies ect ect you're doing well atm I'm catching up my old char since this update no sky lvl so perfect time to catch up its still terribly awful but I'm trying at the same time heck no that's not happening.
    105/105/105 Seeking ScallyMode
    http://mypers.pw/5/#258958
  • nightmare201
    nightmare201 Posts: 50 Arc User
    I think it's important to stress that both work equally well, but I'd prefer to only have 1 character because trying to balance a bunch of different ones is a nightmare.
  • kalystconquerer#0876
    kalystconquerer#0876 Posts: 1,421 Perfect World Employee
    Because spending more money to soup up one makes you feel better-right? /TrollFace

But as a serious answer - Actually, I can't really commit to having multiple toons right now. I tried when sins were the new hotness (Oh, to be young again...heh), but I just never got it to a point where I could farm and keep up. And by the time I did, NW came out so I felt like the reason I initially built it was kind of lost on me. Granted, having a sin to farm still isn't bad, but I sort of lost interest in putting so much resources into it. I think what also played into this was the fact that I was in a TW faction back then, so pouring effort into my main that was actually TWing and was taking up the majority of my time.

So when I made the switch from Cleric to Mystic, I really committed - and I haven't gone back since. If I was rolling on a new server though, that's different. I can go back through the grind but definitely I'm a one toon, one power kind of gal. Any auxiliary toons would be 100% purely for enjoyment and would not be in any sort of rush to gear.
  • nightmare201
    nightmare201 Posts: 50 Arc User
    Because spending more money to soup up one makes you feel better-right? /TrollFace

But as a serious answer - Actually, I can't really commit to having multiple toons right now. I tried when sins were the new hotness (Oh, to be young again...heh), but I just never got it to a point where I could farm and keep up. And by the time I did, NW came out so I felt like the reason I initially built it was kind of lost on me. Granted, having a sin to farm still isn't bad, but I sort of lost interest in putting so much resources into it. I think what also played into this was the fact that I was in a TW faction back then, so pouring effort into my main that was actually TWing and was taking up the majority of my time.

So when I made the switch from Cleric to Mystic, I really committed - and I haven't gone back since. If I was rolling on a new server though, that's different. I can go back through the grind but definitely I'm a one toon, one power kind of gal. Any auxiliary toons would be 100% purely for enjoyment and would not be in any sort of rush to gear.

I think the game itself lends more to having one toon in terms of gearing then multiple smaller ones. While the thread I made not too long ago did mention that having several toons is good fiscally, the cost to gear just one toon is pretty crazy if you're looking to be end-game viable (I just made another post on a different thread that basically said r9r3 is around 4 billion coins unrefined, or $1k). But that sort of gear, and the spirit requirement which also is very anti-alt, is the necessary level to be able to compete at a high level of play.
  • eirghan
    I was interested to see how many people were really focusing on multiple characters after such a huge progression with the last few updates. Now it takes an extraordinary amount of work (more than before) to gear toons and keep them up-to-date which makes it even harder to switch mains. I have contemplated "maining" my venomancer but even though she is up-to-date on sky levels etc. it would be an incredibly huge investment to catch her up to the point of my seeker gear-wise and maintaining both seems almost impossible.

And now looking into the coming metas of G17 (capes, weapons, etc) which are a grindfest of like, 4 years i think it was for the capes (idk actually i cant remember maybe it was 11 but it was years), it's guaranteed that in the future it will be even more impossible to switch classes or keep more than one character. If the grind for g17 catches on, at least ONE day it will be the norm to have at least some level of this gear. Because of the implementation of new, powerful gear at such a high time investment, this moment in time is kind of a point of no return for many (unless you're the type to dabble in illegal type investments or you have an obscene amount of time to throw at PWI) where we have to prioritize what we love most and leave the rest. It's sort of sad in a way. Like the end of an era xD Alt characters have had an important place in PWI for many years.
    ​​
  • greenfire312
    greenfire312 Posts: 269 Arc User
    Multiple well geared characters that are still viable but slightly less overpowered
    I'm really not surprised by the poll results thus far. People treat "alt" like a dirty word these days, and I've never heard a good reason for it outside of the same bog-standard Maybe-You-Could've-Had-+12-On-That-Wep-Instead-Of-11-You-Lazy-Bum PVP dominance that I got bored of hearing 8 years ago.

Also, what counts as "viable?" The pillbabies I made last month are "viable" to the extent that I use them as BH Metal runners and little else, and as long as I can play the class correctly I don't see the problem. Obviously most people would use a harsher definition of viable, but I'm just pointing out the ambiguity here.
    Mains: Miugre / LigerKing
    Etherblade server
  • shade13
    shade13 Posts: 633 Arc User
    edited May 2017
    It's interesting how poll says that more ppl prefer to focus on one charater, while in game situation says the opposite: many ppl gear their alts pretty well even though their mains require some work monkey-47.gif
    On the other hand, there is a point when the slightest improvement costs like an airplane, and it can discourage you and make you lvl an alt which you can boost with much less efforts and watch the effect immidiately.
    I prefer 1st option in any case nevetheless.
    ​​
    Sg4FlzA.png
  • kyoske
    kyoske Posts: 163 Arc User
    @eirghan if you want to donate g16 LA and AA lunar ill go with option b
  • eirghan
    @kyoske xd i dont have those but i wouldnt mind farming a few lunars if u pay for the opens.

@teabagg congrats man you are one of the rare few in alt camp! I know the feels. I still havent done that long **** quest on my veno yet.... Ugh. Maybe one day.

That quest is long. So. Long.
  • kyoske
    kyoske Posts: 163 Arc User
    @eirghan how many lunars we talking atm im next to broke but could probably sell some glyphs