2008 sanctuary serv player ( thinking of playing again)

Options
ladiec
ladiec Posts: 10 Arc User
i am a player from 2008 last i played was 2011 and i have no idea if my avatars are still there... the game is currently downloading. can anyone tell me what i might be expecting? the economy how bad is now ? if this game still friendly for new players ort is it really not worth playing anymore?

Comments

• riverwillows#4307
    riverwillows#4307 Posts: 7 Arc User
    Options
    Sancuary Server no longer exists. Your toons were moved to either Etherblade server, or Twilight Temple server, if you were playing West Coast. You'll need to look on both to see which one your account switched to.
  • capnk
    capnk Posts: 486 Arc User
    Options
    Sanctuary is now Twilight Temple server. Your characters should still be there. As far as economy, depends on what you want to do. If you just want to pve, you can do fine as a free player. If you want to pvp, open your wallet.
  • ladiec
    ladiec Posts: 10 Arc User
    Options
    capnk wrote: »
    Sanctuary is now Twilight Temple server. Your characters should still be there. As far as economy, depends on what you want to do. If you just want to pve, you can do fine as a free player. If you want to pvp, open your wallet.

thanks i am a pve, i am extremely low lvl .... i have no idea what to expect ... but back then without a herc no one would play with you anymore... the game is updating ill know soon enough.

• capnk
    capnk Posts: 486 Arc User
    Options
    Venos are a popular class for squads due to Purge and Amp. Most of the bosses in Flowsilver Palace (high level dungeon) have a hp buff that needs purging. Nobody cares about pets anymore.
  • kalystconquerer#0876
    kalystconquerer#0876 Posts: 1,421 Perfect World Employee
    Options
    Hello!

First of all welcome back! Yes, definitely alot has changed!

Depending on your goals and what you expect out of the game will determine where you'll go in the long term. If you're PvE, you'll have a slightly easier time as far as not needing to be absolutely top of the line. You will need to have serviceable enough gears to run with other players, however. Definitely do some reading up on the wiki or the numerous guides drafted by players on the forums and if you haven't already, find a PvE guild that's active to get yourself reacquainted with the game.

Also, don't forget to check out the Arc Code thread for PWI that's pinned to pick up any non-expired codes to help you out.

Have fun!
  • eirghan
    eirghan Posts: 1,912 Arc User
    Options
    I recommend if you are a free to play veno get a glacial walker and dont worry about the herc. I have one of those and farmed buffs for it from faction base and its a beast. Does quite well at filling hercs role with the right mood after evolution.

If anything pve players have MORE than they did before i think with all of the buffs from cards you can be a force to be reckoned with even with completely free gear and pets.

Good luck and enjoy your stay at tt server ^^
  • greenfire312
    greenfire312 Posts: 269 Arc User
    Options
    First off, welcome back. :)

I'm guessing in-context that you play a veno as your main? So first off, I would ignore anything said about hercs being "required." Some venos don't even bother with pets at endgame anymore because their gear is so OP on its own... but for most people, any pet will work. They did introduce a new "evolution" system which makes pets a lot cooler, but sadly it only works on certain pets so I'd advise you get at least one or two of those. There are a number of interesting rare pets which can be evolved and you can get these without too much trouble if you're interested (I'm a big Armored Bear fan, myself). The main reason people like hercs is because they come with buffs, but you can actually get those same buff skill books from other places (either from faction base or an event instance called Dragon Temple) to use on any pet.

Similarly - and I usually give the same advice to returning players and newbies alike - take all mention of "gear requirements" with a sizeable grain of salt. Gears from the era you started playing are quite easy to obtain, and with the active codes right now you can get a free set of TT99 gear which you can make into g15 Nirvana without much trouble. However, you'll see people "requiring" g16 Nirvana as a basic gear set, if not R9, for all kinds of endgame runs from BH Metal up to Uncharted Paradise. While in some cases the newer instances (UP, JFSP, presumably Dawnlight Hall) are much tougher without a certain amount of HP and defense, the requirements are generally overstated by squad recruiters (probably because you can't tell who's intelligent from world chat replies, and better gear does unfortunately tend to compensate for intelligence in some cases). When in doubt, buy up a few teles and start your own runs.

You'll also get access (over time at endgame) to passive skills which include 25% HP and 80% pdef/mdef - essentially, free barb and cleric defensive buffs at all times which stack with the real ones. Get those passive skills, and you'll have a lot more freedom to operate in terms of gear choices, PVE-wise. War Avatar cards (particularly the defensive ones) and the Meridian system also help in this effort.

All that being said - I would not use the Illusionary Crystal or Optimistic Pill until you are very comfortable with playing your class. The word "pillbaby" gets thrown around a lot, and while it's often applied too liberally, you still want to have a solid knowledge of your class before you hit endgame. I would suggest you redeem the codes, but keep the free-leveling pills in storage until you have all your basic class skills (at least Lv60 or so).
    Mains: Miugre / LigerKing
    Etherblade server
  • mrsir
    mrsir Posts: 32 Arc User
    Options
    ladiec wrote: »
    i am a player from 2008 last i played was 2011 and i have no idea if my avatars are still there... the game is currently downloading. can anyone tell me what i might be expecting? the economy how bad is now ? if this game still friendly for new players ort is it really not worth playing anymore?

Yes come play! I am too from october 2008 on my other account with Will_Smith. Posted on another forum page of the awesome videos I had made before over the years. Been a bit distracted with a few other games, but I always get the free gifts and love popping in a few times. I have a house now too on this account. The only char I earned lv 100 all by myself with no pill or super pill or a help from my buddy Kevin.

Restos is on Twilight Server, lv 100. Seeker(Not rebirthed yet) I have the house and my weapons is the basic version of g17. The very first one, easy to get. but I played on archo server now ether played a lot too and the french server Lothranis with my sister and I even got the name Skeith!

I still love this game and it is one of my first long term games, and it still remains an all time classic!