New Game Engine In Development

Options

Comments

• freygin
    freygin Posts: 737 Arc User
    Options
    That looks like a totally different game, maybe they're just showcasing their new engine, Perfect World company's new game engine after Angelica 3, for later new games ? We didn't even have PW with Angelica 3, so I don't think they will remake the game based on that engine.
  • wettstyle
    wettstyle Posts: 236 Arc User
    Options
    Recently, Chinese devs answered questions in forums... One question was are you going to upgrade the game engine?. Reply was No, But where looking into a whole new engine!! Stay tuned! Its there if ya want to find and read it lol.
  • blankfanclub
    blankfanclub Posts: 53 Arc User
    Options
    The fashion is going to look... amaaziiiiiiiing!
  • catgirldesu
    catgirldesu Posts: 993 Arc User
    Options
    That's the most important thing about an engine update! dino1-24.gif
    ​​
  • ch40tic
    ch40tic Posts: 8 Arc User
    Options
    this does look like a new engine but i don't think its the same perfect world game. the first playable character in the video that wakes up at the shipwreck does look like a barb and those dancing little mobs does look like the chimei mobs at the earthguard area but this just doesn't look like the same game. this could be a new game set in the perfect world universe. just like how there is Jade Dynasty and now there is a new game called World of Jade Dynasty, which uses a modern engine and have modern graphics. but then again, like many have said, this could just be a tech demo of their new engine. they just happen to use perfect world as the basis for the tech demo since it is their first and most successful game.
  • hakundo
    hakundo Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Options
    razzzza wrote: »
    The trailer is OBVIOUSLY only a tech demo kind of thing and PWI will never ever get a big of a overhaul as this one shown in the demo.
    I dont know one game so old as PWI is and got a brand new engine that DRASTICALLY changes how the game looks.

Also i doubt that they will turn this game inside out with a new engine because they basically have to recode the whole game over with all skills and stuff so why not release a new one instead of giving a game under life support a new dress? doesnt make sense now does it.
    Also how someone here already mentioned, alot of people still play this game on machines as old as some teenagers. They cant ditch those people because $$$

What in the world makes you think PWCN considers whether or not a few random people with old PCs in the states/europe would be able to handle their new engine?! That has no bearing whatsoever on their plans - whatever those might be.
    If you have an old PC, you won't cash shop heavily, thus you're not of any interest to PW at all.

Tech demo, will hold my breath til actual facts are known. Looks purdy tho, would be awesome to get a remake of PWI's engine, but we've been waiting for that for years and I doubt we'll ever get it. Then again, fingers crossed. ;>
  • beast21g
    beast21g Posts: 631 Arc User
    Options
    some how they will be released a boutique item making your client to the new game engine or go back to the old game engine

Evil devs ^^

• heerohex#3018
    heerohex#3018 Posts: 4,807 Community Moderator
    Options
    Verified
    beast21g wrote: »
    some how they will be released a boutique item making your client to the new game engine or go back to the old game engine

Evil devs ^^

LOL Equip this item to gain Extra power from your CPU and GPU. Time limited 30 Days.

Yer as I said before im going with a Demo / Preview of the System. Just keep in mind im sure some things will change with the game as some things will not be compatible with the new one. Tho I would say that for the most things would be. Since we are not going to see this anytime soon in PWCN we wont know till then and even a year for PWI may be.​​
  • inzain93
    inzain93 Posts: 45 Arc User
    Options
    If we do get this engine overhaul, would existing characters transfer to it, or would we have to start over from scratch? :(
  • beast21g
    Options
    heero200 wrote: »
    Verified
    beast21g wrote: »

Evil devs ^^

LOL Equip this item to gain Extra power from your CPU and GPU. Time limited 30 Days.

Yer as I said before im going with a Demo / Preview of the System. Just keep in mind im sure some things will change with the game as some things will not be compatible with the new one. Tho I would say that for the most things would be. Since we are not going to see this anytime soon in PWCN we wont know till then and even a year for PWI may be.​​

hehehehe
    transforms your old pc/laptop to a high-end gaming beast

Now hold your horses.
    Wait for the next years and maybe we will see that.
  • eternalghost
    eternalghost Posts: 154 Arc User
    Options
    I'd pay for something in the boutique to fix the freaking memory leak issue that we've had since forever XD
    Kymsplat - Sin -

103 - 103 - 102
    Etherblade
    My Gear: http://mypers.pw/10/#543295
    My Youtube Channel: youtu.be/zyiaSCxQ_KY
  • heerohex#3018
    heerohex#3018 Posts: 4,807 Community Moderator
    Options
    I'd pay for something in the boutique to fix the freaking memory leak issue that we've had since forever XD

They Have fixed it a few times but keeps returning.

Hopefully this update will fix more than it breaks. Im not hopefull...​​
  • ailiadrake
    ailiadrake Posts: 282 Arc User
    Options
    hakundo wrote: »
    The trailer is OBVIOUSLY only a tech demo kind of thing and PWI will never ever get a big of a overhaul as this one shown in the demo.
    I dont know one game so old as PWI is and got a brand new engine that DRASTICALLY changes how the game looks.

Also i doubt that they will turn this game inside out with a new engine because they basically have to recode the whole game over with all skills and stuff so why not release a new one instead of giving a game under life support a new dress? doesnt make sense now does it.
    Also how someone here already mentioned, alot of people still play this game on machines as old as some teenagers. They cant ditch those people because $$$

What in the world makes you think PWCN considers whether or not a few random people with old PCs in the states/europe would be able to handle their new engine?! That has no bearing whatsoever on their plans - whatever those might be.
    If you have an old PC, you won't cash shop heavily, thus you're not of any interest to PW at all.

Tech demo, will hold my breath til actual facts are known. Looks purdy tho, would be awesome to get a remake of PWI's engine, but we've been waiting for that for years and I doubt we'll ever get it. Then again, fingers crossed. ;>

True, but...

a few thousand peoples owning old pcs cashing 10 or 20 dollars
    VS
    few people with high end pcs cashing for 100 dollars.
    (example numbers, mind. I'm sure that there are more people that play the game)

perhaps the guys with the high end pcs "might be more important" than the others, but by losing all the others (which are the majority, I'm sure), they still lose a lot.

I'm no businesswoman here, but I'd be a complete idiot if I suddenly decided that a large part of my player base didn't count anymore just because they have an outdated pc.
    But hey, I'm me and the devs/company/whatever are not me, so I have no idea what kind of insane ideas they have running inside their skulls.

That said, let's return to the videos. I can agree with those that have said it's a tech demon. Showing what the engine could do is more sensate than sticking with handling old graphics with the new engine.
    Perhaps pwi won't have a complete overhaul, but maybe we can hope with them... uh.. dunno? upgrading some of the graphics and fixing some of the most blatant bugs in the game?

Though... the boss throwing those players around like rag dolls is something I'd love to see in PWI too.
  • dingo488
    dingo488 Posts: 936 Arc User
    Options
    On a positive note, they used some cool music in their boring video at least! Most game devs would hire a composer to write music for them, but you know... that would cost money. The music will forever belong on this vid tho, much better use of good music
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLiyxXvW47o
  • booker27
    booker27 Posts: 167 Arc User
    Options
    New engine looks awesome but I dunno if its really for pwi. Guess we gotta wait but its about time they upgrade the engine and fix all the issues.
  • iliad#1359
    iliad#1359 Posts: 37 Arc User
    Options
    Theres no way that's actually pwi. I think its like the pwi videos we see on our page. Does anyone remember the Eclipse launch trailer http://www.arcgames.com/en/games/pwi/media/index#
  • hakundo
    hakundo Posts: 33 Arc User
    Options
    ailiadrake wrote: »
    True, but...

a few thousand peoples owning old pcs cashing 10 or 20 dollars
    VS
    few people with high end pcs cashing for 100 dollars.
    (example numbers, mind. I'm sure that there are more people that play the game)

perhaps the guys with the high end pcs "might be more important" than the others, but by losing all the others (which are the majority, I'm sure), they still lose a lot.

I'm no businesswoman here, but I'd be a complete idiot if I suddenly decided that a large part of my player base didn't count anymore just because they have an outdated pc.
    But hey, I'm me and the devs/company/whatever are not me, so I have no idea what kind of insane ideas they have running inside their skulls.
    /quote]

Fairly sure the minority would be "old pcs". There's maybe a handful of people that I know who run on outdated PC/laptops. And quite honestly if you can't afford to upgrade your PC a tiny bit but still cash shop 10/20 bucks here and there you're doing it wrong.

I also think you seriously underestimate how much people cash shop. Try 1000 bucks every other week. :P
  • razzzza
    razzzza Posts: 456 Arc User
    Options

You got to understand the buisness point of view, do you want an old game to suddenly require you to have a decent gaming PC made in 2015/2016 and lock out potential customers from playing the game (where alot of them already cashed in thousands of dollars and have a geared toon or just tons of whatever) or have the old game stay the same with minor upgrades when new expansions hit the servers so people who bought a decent machine in 2012 can also enjoy it and cash in some more money to enjoy potential new classes/items aswell?

If a PC can handle PWI well (and belive me i met people in PWI that ran this game in low resolution with all settings down to bare minimum and still lag in FSP or archo) some people are fine with their setup and will focus on other things. consoles exist for a reason.

Do you think WoW would heavily upgrade their engine to a fresh 2016 build one with all the new tech so only new computers with expensive hardware can play it? No of course not, it will ruin the experience for alot of people and will make people angry. Perfect World is a buisness and locking out 90% of their playerbase will just destroy the game.
    m5k9ne4c.jpg
  • freygin
    Options
    It's not realistic to expect this game to suddenly be upgraded to a game that requires high end pc, most ppl just want the game to be better optimized and adapted to the new tech, software and hardware wise.

For example, I can play AAA game like The Witcher 3/Mafia 3 with ultra setting and be in an area with crowded NPCs without any lags and significant fps drops, but PW lags so badly and the fps could drop to 3-7 fps in a crowded area like when waiting for an event npc to spawn regardless of setting, even at lowest setting with everything turned off it still produces lag.

From dualcore cpu to i7, 2gigs of ram to 16 gigs of ram, nvidia 8800, 9800, 285, 560, 660, to 970, it doesn't matter, it ignores pc spec and run the game limited by the engine since forever.

We don't need to upgrade PC every so often nowadays unlike back in the days, and today's lowest setting of a game is already good looking enough.

This game's system requirement is so low like it's already capped by the engine, I bet even our Android phone can run this game with no sweat if ported properly.
  • diyanira
    diyanira Posts: 4 Arc User
    Options

You got to understand the buisness point of view, do you want an old game to suddenly require you to have a decent gaming PC made in 2015/2016 and lock out potential customers from playing the game (where alot of them already cashed in thousands of dollars and have a geared toon or just tons of whatever) or have the old game stay the same with minor upgrades when new expansions hit the servers so people who bought a decent machine in 2012 can also enjoy it and cash in some more money to enjoy potential new classes/items aswell?

If a PC can handle PWI well (and belive me i met people in PWI that ran this game in low resolution with all settings down to bare minimum and still lag in FSP or archo) some people are fine with their setup and will focus on other things. consoles exist for a reason.

Do you think WoW would heavily upgrade their engine to a fresh 2016 build one with all the new tech so only new computers with expensive hardware can play it? No of course not, it will ruin the experience for alot of people and will make people angry. Perfect World is a buisness and locking out 90% of their playerbase will just destroy the game.

I own a Computer repair shop / IT service business. The amount of "old PC's" that would not run modern games on lowest settings and lower resolution, is basically 0. Even vista laptops can run modern games on lowest resolution and lowest settings, and those are 8-10 years old.

Engine upgrade doesn't mean you all the sudden need a beast of a computer to run it. Crysis the game always comes with a massive engine upgrade, and yes max graphics settings on 1440P or higher resolutions require 2000 euro computers, but on lowest settings those old vista laptops still run it!

So sorry for the 0.1% of computers that can't run the new engine, those people really don't fit into a business model. lose 0.1% customers, but gain 4000% new customers because of the new engine, i think you can imagine what they will choose.

OH BTW, i sell second hand computers, wanna buy 1 for 100 Euro's that can run the new engine? you cannot tell me that 100 Euro's for a good second hand computer is over the top for people. ( i live in the netherland, prices may vary depending of your country :P )
  • dblazen1
    dblazen1 Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    Options
    diyanira wrote: »

I own a Computer repair shop / IT service business. The amount of "old PC's" that would not run modern games on lowest settings and lower resolution, is basically 0. Even vista laptops can run modern games on lowest resolution and lowest settings, and those are 8-10 years old.

Engine upgrade doesn't mean you all the sudden need a beast of a computer to run it. Crysis the game always comes with a massive engine upgrade, and yes max graphics settings on 1440P or higher resolutions require 2000 euro computers, but on lowest settings those old vista laptops still run it!

So sorry for the 0.1% of computers that can't run the new engine, those people really don't fit into a business model. lose 0.1% customers, but gain 4000% new customers because of the new engine, i think you can imagine what they will choose.

OH BTW, i sell second hand computers, wanna buy 1 for 100 Euro's that can run the new engine? you cannot tell me that 100 Euro's for a good second hand computer is over the top for people. ( i live in the netherland, prices may vary depending of your country :P )

There's a difference between being able to run the engine and being able to actually play a game.
    It depends on anyone's perception of what is acceptable and one will have a higher standard than another.

And in that retrospect, I don't consider computers 8-10 years old capable of running newer engines properly.​​
    Jws3dXe.gif
    The only fitting image for this forum.

• ailiadrake
    Options
    Fairly sure the minority would be "old pcs". There's maybe a handful of people that I know who run on outdated PC/laptops. And quite honestly if you can't afford to upgrade your PC a tiny bit but still cash shop 10/20 bucks here and there you're doing it wrong.

I also think you seriously underestimate how much people cash shop. Try 1000 bucks every other week. :P

Why people always assume that the majority is the one with the newest pcs? 10 bucks are much easier to come across than 100 for a new graphic card, or processor, or whatever.
    You can spend 10 bucks for whatever you want without really worrying about how you're supposed to pay the next bills. 100 bucks or more for a new component or an entirely new pc? I'm sorry, but you either have a job that pays very well, or you stick with the older pcs and pay the bills first. Oh, was forgetting. There's also food. Can't forget about food. You can't play a game if you're starving on the ground.

But I think we're doing an epic derailing of the tread here, so let's agree to disagree, hm?
  • diyanira
    diyanira Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Options
    dblazen1 wrote: »

There's a difference between being able to run the engine and being able to actually play a game.
    It depends on anyone's perception of what is acceptable and one will have a higher standard than another.

And in that retrospect, I don't consider computers 8-10 years old capable of running newer engines properly.​​

And people that don't think lowest settings and resolutions is not acceptable, accept that they need newer hardwar to run the specs they want to run.

@Ailiadrake i did specify that 100 euro's for a second hand computer is here, in the netherlands, i know of countries where the same computer would be sold for 30 euro's. Then all the sudden the difference is not that big anymore.
    Also i didn't say the majority is the ones with good new computers. The majority is people that have their computers for 3-4 years max, before buying a new one, and that is the cold hard truth.
  • beast21g
    Options
    new game engine doesnt mean that game will be unplayable from older pcs
    Just imagine that now gaming pcs have problem to handle pwi, 0 experience on tws/xtws fps so low. So the average player base i suppse they have better pc.
  • bloodedone87
    bloodedone87 Posts: 1,883 Arc User
    Options
    dblazen1 wrote: »

Agree and I will give an exemple

I play Rise of the Tomb Raider on:
    AMD A4-5100 APU with Radeon(TM) HD Graphics 1,55GHz
    RAM 4 GB
    AMD Radeon HD 8330

System requirements for the game are:
    Processor: Intel Core i3-2100 or AMD equivalent
    Memory: 6 GB RAM
    Graphics: NVIDIA GTX 650 2GB or AMD HD7770 2GB
    DirectX: Version 11
    Storage: 25 GB available space

So cleary my laptop is under the minimum sys. req.

Notes:

1 The game is playable on lowest settings so goodbye amazing graphics.
    2 It lags in some places but not that much to be an annoyance.
    3 If it is the first time after I entered the game or came back after I paused the game for more than 15 minutes and I try to switch from one weapon to another the screen freezes for 30 seconds or so. Than the weapon switch its done fast.
    4 When doing a fast travel( teleporting from one place to another) it needs 10-15 minutes for the screen to load so I avoid fast travel as much as I can.
    5 It lags during cutscenes.

But here is the thing: ROTTR is a single player game so I expect that a MMO which is a multiplayer game having sys req as high as ROTTR to cause more problems if tried to be played on a PC or laptop under min sys req.
    giphy.gif

• ailiadrake
    Options
    And people that don't think lowest settings and resolutions is not acceptable, accept that they need newer hardwar to run the specs they want to run.

@Ailiadrake i did specify that 100 euro's for a second hand computer is here, in the netherlands, i know of countries where the same computer would be sold for 30 euro's. Then all the sudden the difference is not that big anymore.
    Also i didn't say the majority is the ones with good new computers. The majority is people that have their computers for 3-4 years max, before buying a new one, and that is the cold hard truth.

I suppose our misunderstanding comes from what we consider new enough for the new engines, and what the prices for this new upgrades/new pcs will be.
    Here in italy prices aren't as low as other countries would have for the same stuff (you gotta search and search and wait and hope for a real offer). I suppose I should have taken this into account, but again, I mistook what was said as "almost everyone has the newest stuff!" (as in, at least 6-8 months old pc)
  • iliad#1359
    Options
    As someone who used to play PWI on a 2006 Toshiba Satellite laptop a year and a bit ago I can say there is a huge difference in what my set up then and my setup now can do. I would not expect to be able to play newer games like FF14 or BDO or ESO on that machine. PWI was a practice in patience as it was with 10 minute game load times, invisible enemy TWs and lagging through west arch. I honestly think this is something to consider.

Not to mention, the question remains, how much can you "upgrade" a game before it loses it's identity?
  • freygin
    edited October 2016
    Options
    It doesn't make any sense a game this old ignores our pc spec and run slow by its own, even a dos game or older pc game can run too fast with 200 fps or more without vsync, there must be a bottleneck somewhere. Is it possible that the lag/fps drop is actually because of the server and how the game sync everyone with each other, but probably not tho because bandwidth usage is really small for playing PW.

At this current state of the game, by upgrading CPU the only advantage is the amount of cpu usage getting smaller. Mine uses 11-13% while my friend's older cpu uses around 25%-30 and there is also one with really old pc that uses 70% cpu. Most ppl I know do upgrade because they want to run multiple clients.

If the engine is the culprit why not just upgrade the old engine to only take advantage of the new cpu/gpu/directx or whatever a game usually makes use of, 10 years later and they still haven't do anything about it. I don't really mind with the graphics, it's just the lags when crowded that bothers me. 1-4 fps is the lowest I've ever seen.
  • magiceffect
    magiceffect Posts: 162 Arc User
    edited October 2016
    Options
    Expect things to be happening only if they break their policy of at least 1 expansion per year.

Rebasing to a different framework/platform is a costly thing to do. If one company would fancy that, you should expect that during the time they work on that, the number of expansions which are released would normally decrease. Unless they subcontract or hire more devs.

Considerring that they just released a new expansion, statements like "we're looking at adapting to a new engine" probably means several good devs from there are investigating, maybe starting to prototype something, so in general...in the process of understanding the scale of this challenge. Even if that were true, do not expect any signifcant progress (not completion) at least for 1 year.

Looking at the kinds of problems this game has, I would risk assuming that their integration with the current engine is not ... ideal to start with. SO, even porting to a newer version has its risks and requires a relatively long time and kind of has to be done by the same people who initially did it if the timeframe requirement is tight. BUT, changing all integration layer (IF they even have one. I would also risk saying it doesn't, in which case risk and complexity are higher) should be hell lotta more complicated than that.

Maybe even a 1 year estimation is overly optimistic.
    Dawnglory - SpellStormer (105 x 3): http://mypers.pw/10/#435948
  • iliad#1359
    edited October 2016
    Options
    I agree about the time frame but it seems unlikely that they would release a hype video about a new engine if their devs were simply looking into it. Id say this is definitely something on the horizon. Albeit a very distant one.

.... On second thought... This IS pw we are talking about.