is mystic offensive or support-discussion.

banibe
banibe Posts: 73 Arc User
Ok first off, i've put this topic here and not under "mystic catag" because i want everyone to have a comment on it, weather it be from self experience playing the class or being around or PVP'in the class.

ok so as the title ask, is Mystics offensive or support i know this have been a big debate since they came out and there's been people on both sides, giving credit for both offense and support. but i believe if that was the case when pwi first brought mystics to the table, it have changed now and is changing with the up coming update.

mystic generally have 7 attack skills, compared to other classes that's pretty low.
mystic Ulti, is a pet that takes damage, in my point of view it's a good summon/skill, but i see it being used more when being ganked. lets say you're in tw and your squad is being rolled you use that to give yourself chance to at least throw up a mass rez or mass heal, kinda makes it support skill. and comparing to other's ulti that does damage, i say mystic got the low end of the stick on this one. and before anyone says cleric's ulti doesnt do damage, i say to you i would rather be able to double my hp and anyone's hp than have a pet that stays around for 15 sec then when die's does very very little damage(something it's suppose to do)
the up coming skills is once again support skills, healing herbs(if you ever played mystic in pvp you know these herbs are useless, unless you're a low gear'd mystic in lower pvp) but dropping this in high level pvp does nothing.
an upgrade to a "SUMMON" skill, Warp Shield. this skill is like not even good for pvp, unless you do both the slavi's buffs then it takes away some damage, but just using Warp Shield, it does nothing. yes the new upcoming Warp Shield gives Shield that amount gets increased depending on weapon damage from the normal LV 11 pet buff that takes "600" damage a way, this is good. but also since everyone's going to be hitting some what harder (not talking about the spirit and the nerf" but in skills. this "shield" stays the same.
this is my take on mystic it's a good class i just wish to know why PWI is giving it the bad end of the stick over and over. and again i know people are going to come up and say "mystics are OP" the only thing mystics got going for them is their instant healing/fp etc. but damage wise without lucky break on another player your gear or above the damage sucks.

I'd have to say mystic is support, or that pwi made it support by giving it support skills.

MYSTIC UPCOMING SKILLS:

Sublime Transfusion: Absorbs 45% of healing (up from 30%) from enemies of your level. Up to 70% (up from 40%) from enemies of lower level.
Healing Herb: Sage and demon version. Both heal an additional 33% of casters weapon damage and have a 40% chance to take only 1 damage. Sage heals 100HP more, demon has a 50% chance to take only 1 damage.
Vital Herb: Sage and demon version. Both heal an additional 20% of casters weapon damage. Sage increases healing added each pulse, demon increases initial healing amount.
Nature's Barrier: Damage reduction increased to 70% up from 50%.
Energy Leech: Instant channel and cast, down from 1 second channeling and 1 second casting time.
Warp Shield (Salvations third skill): Shield amount gets increased depending on weapon damage.

so let me know what you guys think, is mystic support or offense.

Comments

• jasgar
    jasgar Posts: 25 Arc User
    Mystic is a do-anything class. It's your job to instinctively fulfill whatever role the squad needs. Ideally in an OP squad you will be a dd for the most part, especially if you have a good Cleric. However, there are still situations where your squad needs your healing and support. For example: UP: Reflection room. Even end game squads can have trouble surviving this. You can change roles on a whim once things get under control, and go back to dding.

Can Mystic perform well as a dd? Absolutely. In PK, Mystic has incredible burst damage, seals, and survivability. Can Mystic perform well as a support? Absolutely. Both can be done on a whim without the need to change modes like a Cleric.
    Jasriana- 105/105/105 Mystic (Etherblade)
  • hogwarts123
    hogwarts123 Posts: 66 Arc User
    jasgar wrote: »
    Mystic is a do-anything class. It's your job to instinctively fulfill whatever role the squad needs. Ideally in an OP squad you will be a dd for the most part, especially if you have a good Cleric. However, there are still situations where your squad needs your healing and support. For example: UP: Reflection room. Even end game squads can have trouble surviving this. You can change roles on a whim once things get under control, and go back to dding.

Can Mystic perform well as a dd? Absolutely. In PK, Mystic has incredible burst damage, seals, and survivability. Can Mystic perform well as a support? Absolutely. Both can be done on a whim without the need to change modes like a Cleric.

Basically this. Since a mystic is a good all rounder mage, they don't excel in any particular area. They have good heals but not as strong as a cleric's, good dd but not as strong as a psy's/wiz's/sb's, and nice support skills/debuffs but not as strong or constant as a veno's. It's the downside to every allrounder in pretty much every game that has them. They will fufill this role both in PVE and PVP.

• banibe

i meant skill wise though, like why cant they give

Basically this. Since a mystic is a good all rounder mage, they don't excel in any particular area. They have good heals but not as strong as a cleric's, good dd but not as strong as a psy's/wiz's/sb's, and nice support skills/debuffs but not as strong or constant as a veno's. It's the downside to every allrounder in pretty much every game that has them. They will fufill this role both in PVE and PVP.

but besides their buffs, why cant they give mystic a skill that stands out, as you said it's an all round class i get that but their should be something unique. and if that's not the case why not at least make invigorate PVP also? giving a class that does little damage that buff wouldnt be such a bad idea.
  • jasgar
    banibe wrote: »

but besides their buffs, why cant they give mystic a skill that stands out, as you said it's an all round class i get that but their should be something unique. and if that's not the case why not at least make invigorate PVP also? giving a class that does little damage that buff wouldnt be such a bad idea.

Absorb Soul. Most unique and unusual skill in the game. Breaks almost all the rules.

• banibe
    edited June 2016

Absorb Soul. Most unique and unusual skill in the game. Breaks almost all the rules.

how fast does it take to channel ABS? quite a bit of time, damage is good on AA i agree LA mehh kinda HA not so much. unless you're demon mystic that can switch btw channel gear and def gear in 1v1 you're kinda ****'d unless you can sleep lock the person.

also on the topic of locking/stunning in pvp. why cant mystic have a self sleep/stun skill? i mean to have to summon a plant/pet to then stun the target is kinda a drag you have to admit
  • blazerboy
    blazerboy Posts: 1,673 Arc User
    Wasnt the whole idea behind it for both?
    105/105/105 Seeking ScallyMode
    http://mypers.pw/5/#258958
  • jasgar
    edited June 2016
    [

how fast does it take to channel ABS? quite a bit of time, damage is good on AA i agree LA mehh kinda HA not so much. unless you're demon mystic that can switch btw channel gear and def gear in 1v1 you're kinda ****'d unless you can sleep lock the person.

Demonspark + Rapid Growth + Storm Dance Proc. Plenty of opportunity to reduce AS channel. Not to mention it always does double damage after NV debuff, has a chance for more damage based on 2x your crit, does full damage to targets from air to ground, can damage certain phys immune targets (even though it deals phys damage), goes through Invoke/bless, doesn't wake sleep, genererates nearly 0 aggro, etc.

I'd say that's pretty unique.
  • banibe
    blazerboy wrote: »
    Wasnt the whole idea behind it for both?

yes to some point, but it seems to me that pwi is pushing more support skills. though it can be used for both. a new attack skill would be lovely to see on this class.
  • banibe
    edited June 2016
    [

Demonspark + Rapid Growth + Storm Dance Proc. Plenty of opportunity to reduce AS channel. Not to mention it always does double damage after NV debuff, has a chance for more damage based on 2x your crit, does full damage to targets from air to ground, can damage certain phys immune targets (even though it deals phys damage), goes through Invoke/bless, doesn't wake sleep, etc.

I'd say that's pretty unique.
    Anyone that pvp's knows that "SPARK" is vital to your survival. i dont get why you "MUST" use all your spark to get a hit off as hard as other classes, to me that's off. besides not to mention it might not even kill the target, so you just used all your chi. (mystics take forever to rebuild chi, even if sage in pvp) you're sitting there just spawning devil and kiting for the rest of the fight.
    like we can sit here and talk about how OP ABS is, ive been playing mystic since the day they came out, i know their up and downs. and ABS can go both ways, even more so that you need to spark+rapid to pull off a decent hit with it.
  • jsxshadow
    jsxshadow Posts: 1,414 Arc User
    IN Mass-PvP I used to play Mystic as mainly support but you should cease the oppurtunity when you can and kill some squishy targets from the air when you can. It's especially nice when you can quick 1 or 2 shot Sog'ed players from the Air with Absorb Soul. Then again...when you play Sage you kinda limit yourself to pure Support already. If you wanna be effective offensively in any way you gotta be Demon, just saying. Why? Well, since you have a chance to gain rediculously fast chi while spamming your heal skills you can easily dish out some trip spark + rapid Growth combos once in a while. May it be to heal faster or to kill someone quickly from the air. GL trying that as a Sage Mystic. Then again, I avoid Sage on a Mystic more then any culti on any other class cause imho it has no reason to be used whatsoever.

Before Someone says: "But, But, But SAge has a chance to purify!!!" Yap, a chance. Which will never work when needed. GG and **** it :)
  • jasgar
    Anyone that pvp's knows that "SPARK" is vital to your survival. i dont get why you "MUST" use all your spark to get a hit off as hard as other classes, to me that's off. besides not to mention it might not even kill the target, so you just used all your chi. (mystics take forever to rebuild chi, even if sage in pvp) you're sitting there just spawning devil and kiting for the rest of the fight.
    like we can sit here and talk about how OP ABS is, ive been playing mystic since the day they came out, i know their up and downs. and ABS can go both ways, even more so that you need to spark+rapid to pull off a decent hit with it.

Mystics are ideal for burst damage. That's why we have so many burst skills. Rapid Growth, Energy Leech, Lucky Break. Combo those with Triplespark and you can quickly incinerate fully Jaded r9s3's. I've one shot quite a few r9's with AS (with and without the NV debuff) from the air lol.

Mystics can still hold their own very well in pvp, but why not take advantage of how the class was made and combo those burst skills?
  • banibe
    edited June 2016
    jsxshadow wrote: »
    IN Mass-PvP I used to play Mystic as mainly support but you should cease the oppurtunity when you can and kill some squishy targets from the air when you can. It's especially nice when you can quick 1 or 2 shot Sog'ed players from the Air with Absorb Soul. Then again...when you play Sage you kinda limit yourself to pure Support already. If you wanna be effective offensively in any way you gotta be Demon, just saying. Why? Well, since you have a chance to gain rediculously fast chi while spamming your heal skills you can easily dish out some trip spark + rapid Growth combos once in a while. May it be to heal faster or to kill someone quickly from the air. GL trying that as a Sage Mystic. Then again, I avoid Sage on a Mystic more then any culti on any other class cause imho it has no reason to be used whatsoever.

Before Someone says: "But, But, But SAge has a chance to purify!!!" Yap, a chance. Which will never work when needed. GG and **** it :)

i agree with you there, but even though as the folks above pointed out mystic is an all round class. ok but in my view this at the start lets say other classes in dmg/debuff/heals were at let's say 50% .. mystic got 30-35% in heal/debuff/dmg. but like now that every class is moving foward, it seems to be now other classes: 70-75% in dmg heals debuff etc. and mystic still at the 30-35. is why is say buffing their dmg with an invigorate for pvp wouldnt be such a bad idea.
  • banibe

Mystics are ideal for burst damage. That's why we have so many burst skills. Rapid Growth, Energy Leech, Lucky Break. Combo those with Triplespark and you can quickly incinerate fully Jaded r9s3's. I've one shot quite a few r9's with AS (with and without the NV debuff) from the air lol.

Mystics can still hold their own very well in pvp, but why not take advantage of how the class was made and combo those burst skills?

agree with you on this. but all i'm saying is, now as pwi is progressing other classes with DD dmg/heals etc etc they're kinda leaving mystic out, they can also progress mystic.
  • jasgar

agree with you on this. but all i'm saying is, now as pwi is progressing other classes with DD dmg/heals etc etc they're kinda leaving mystic out, they can also progress mystic.

While I'm all for more improvements for my own class... how many other classes get something as cool as the NEW LUCKY BREAK? Lucky Broken if you ask me.

Some of the skills that are being improved were the ones we hardly use and needed improvements. Healing Herb? Vital Herb? Warp Shield? Not worth using for the most part as it stands. Also that instant Energy Leech sounds great! Don't forget our anti-stun is attached to Energy Leech...

• banibe

While I'm all for more improvements for my own class... how many other classes get something as cool as the NEW LUCKY BREAK? Lucky Broken if you ask me.

Some of the skills that are being improved were the ones we hardly use and needed improvements. Healing Herb? Vital Herb? Warp Shield? Not worth using for the most part as it stands. Also that instant Energy Leech sounds great! Don't forget our anti-stun is attached to Energy Leech...

yes sounds great i am waiting for the energy leech, but to the part where you say which other class get a skill like the new lucky break. well venos ulti 2 mass purges + deals a hella lot of dmg. sins primal skills (which already hit'd like a truck) hits harder, not to mention they can stealth a lot more now too, clerics can double their hp. image a cleric with 30k hp when use ulti what happens. and sad part is to all of this, when the new update/skills come they're going to get upgraded again and the same skills that are "op" now are going to get even more op'er for them. while we get some healing herbs that does nothing.
  • jasgar

yes sounds great i am waiting for the energy leech, but to the part where you say which other class get a skill like the new lucky break. well venos ulti 2 mass purges + deals a hella lot of dmg. sins primal skills (which already hit'd like a truck) hits harder, not to mention they can stealth a lot more now too, clerics can double their hp. image a cleric with 30k hp when use ulti what happens. and sad part is to all of this, when the new update/skills come they're going to get upgraded again and the same skills that are "op" now are going to get even more op'er for them. while we get some healing herbs that does nothing.

Just thinking of a Triplespark, Rapid Growth, Lucky Break, Swirling Mist + Gale Force to all those targets that just got AOE veno purged lol
  • banibe

Just thinking of a Triplespark, Rapid Growth, Lucky Break, Swirling Mist + Gale Force to all those targets that just got AOE veno purged lol

xD lol yeah painful stuff, and just noticed you're also in etherblade. xD think we have talked before in game
  • blazerboy
    blazerboy Posts: 1,673 Arc User
    Personally the only thing about mystic that facinated me was the stupid amount of p.def this class gets seriously a full buff mystic playing support/dd in mass pvp with jsod goodluck killing that db/sin solo or gank cuz if the cleric heals it than you gotta take the cleric down but oh wait now the clerics immortal cuz insta mystic heals. Ive literally seen a mystic and cleric duo make a **** gear squad damn near immortal vs endgame people and eachother alive by covering for eachother. But then agian Ive also been hit 22k-27k by absorb soul WP mystic WP lol. Now of course this isn't always the case this is just a memory I recall. I think whichever roll you pick don't forget you can be flexible with either depending how you read the battlefield. Im no mystic expert but this os my oppinion
    105/105/105 Seeking ScallyMode
    http://mypers.pw/5/#258958
  • capnk
    capnk Posts: 486 Arc User
    Is mystic offense or support? Both. Mystic can do everything, just not all at the same time. Yes, most of the new skills coming out are supportive. But we also got huge upgrades to Lucky Break and Sublime Transfusion, that's all offense right there.

Mystic already has the highest dps of all caster classes and the highest single-target healing, what more do you want? Yeah some of the other classes are getting more buffs than us, but they need it. I'm glad classes like Seeker and Wizard are getting some nice buffs because they were garbage tier before. Our ultimate is a little weak but it's usable and could be worse (rofl BM ulti).

As for sage vs demon, sage >>> demon for pve, that's not even arguable. For pvp, they both have their merits. But yeah sage is probably better in a support role.
  • klys
    klys Posts: 283 Arc User
    Want to fully utilize mystic class? Experienced endgame advice:

TW Offense: Spam heals on cat barbs, keep cat clerics alive and balled. CC threats if appropriate.
    TW Defense: Sublime primary targets, push shet around and cc wisely, ---> assist real dd's <---

xTW and mass pvp are just variations of the same general strategy.

The new skills are neat but only sublime and leech will be noticeable (for endgame).
  • banibe
    edited June 2016
    klys wrote: »
    Want to fully utilize mystic class? Experienced endgame advice:

TW Offense: Spam heals on cat barbs, keep cat clerics alive and balled. CC threats if appropriate.
    TW Defense: Sublime primary targets, push shet around and cc wisely, ---> assist real dd's <---

xTW and mass pvp are just variations of the same general strategy.

The new skills are neat but only sublime and leech will be noticeable (for endgame).

you say "Offense" yet you say spam heals on cata barbs and keep clerics alive. end game or not. that is support. is it not?, so not offense TW Support:~
    the tw defense part yeah i agree with that.
    but you just proved my point, mystics are either support or defense not offensive.

• klys
    klys Posts: 283 Arc User
    If you're wondering if mystics are a legitimate damage dealer in mass pvp against equal geared opponents, the answer is no. Sure we have kinda nice damage against diety shards, but spamming NV or trying to set up a combo should not be your priority unless your team is in full control of the engagement, in which case it doesn't really matter what you do.
  • banibe
    klys wrote: »
    If you're wondering if mystics are a legitimate damage dealer in mass pvp against equal geared opponents, the answer is no. Sure we have kinda nice damage against diety shards, but spamming NV or trying to set up a combo should not be your priority unless your team is in full control of the engagement, in which case it doesn't really matter what you do.

it just anger's me. mystic is such a fun class, and pwi isnt focusing on upgrading their damage based skills. only supportive ones. if they made invigorate PVP also that would be WONDERFUL like i said before it's like mystic havnt upgraded much since they came out when every other class around it upgraded in some way mostly dmg wise.
    remember, barbs? back when the game first came out people alwayed said, was even on the pwi WIKI that barbs "IS NOT GOOD DMG DEALERS" and everyone accepted that. everyone accepted that barbs was purely just to be tanky. look at them now. barbs deal hella damage in pvp and OFC in pve also. maybe not as much as db's but when a str barb catches you if you dont have the pots/skills/genie to get out you're screwed. so how can pwi change a class in such a big way but refuses to upgrade mystic? you all can say mystic is good where they're but lets face it it wouldnt hurt to give us invigorate for PVP also.
  • koryn7
    koryn7 Posts: 48 Arc User
    I'm ok with the new updates :) I feel mystic still can't really be categorized as support or offense because it does indeed excel at both. It also depends on your culti and play style as well as what your squad needs. Sometimes the cleric in my TW squad gets in a jam and I have to go full support. Other times, I just debuff, seal, sleep, coordinate with a cleric and/or veno for SoG/Purge/Absorb soul combo. I don't usually just go full offense. Sometimes, I see a moment when I can really let loose with burst damage and then go for it, before returning back to support. The flexibility is what makes mystic so much fun! And I would also argue that the new ultimate is not just something to absorb damage, you still get both devil and mistress buffs upon leeching, which is fantastic!

Also I think people often forget about Gaia's Blessing. For 12 seconds we can basically heal a squad to full health over and over again while also DDing or using other skills. Cleric's cannot do that. It's another unique skill that belongs to mystics. We can also mass sleep if enemies aren't spread too far apart, I don't think anyone else can do that. Lucky break, gosh so awesome!

I would be ok with invigorate for PVP but maybe it would be cool for it to have a temporary boost in attack levels for the caster, kind of like how Demon Stormbringer (I think) has the temporary increase in defense levels of the caster with their squad buff. I think that could be neat.

But what would make me really happy is different animations for our buffs. Why does Mass rez and Gaia's blessing have the same animation? Or Verdant blessing and Invigorate? :( C'mon pwi just show a little love? :'(
  • dregenfox
    dregenfox Posts: 713 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Mystics are incredibly good at making people pop their AD/invincibility skill, but we don't have the burst after to finish people off. Swirling mist + amp + Lucky break is an awesome charm ticker though. That's pretty much the extent of a mystic's utility as an offensive char.

I think that's fair considering all the defensive capabilities mystics have at the same time. The expansions since RB1 have generally been mediocre for mystics but due to other factors they are in a better overall position imo.