Is the game worth it?

gykill
gykill Posts: 2 Arc User
Hello guys, i used to play this game around 5 years ago, and i really loved it, my character back then was a Wizard and i spent thousands of hours on him. However right now i have seen really bad reviews about this game on almost every site, so here are some questions:

1.- Its the game pay to win?

2.- Its the game alive? (decent population)

3.- Its the game fun even at low levels?

4.- What would be the most underplayed class?

Thank you in advance, will check the game tomorrow morning and i hope to stay for a while. :smile:
Tagged:

Comments

• dblazen1
    dblazen1 Posts: 1,177 Arc User
    gykill wrote: »
    Hello guys, i used to play this game around 5 years ago, and i really loved it, my character back then was a Wizard and i spent thousands of hours on him. However right now i have seen really bad reviews about this game on almost every site, so here are some questions:

PvE wise, not so much, it's doable without paying
    PvP wise, yes, very. Unless you have a lot of spare hours (and I do mean A LOT).

so-so. it's aging and it's showing.

No, but leveling up is not really a problem

No idea, but by no means should this be a criteria on what class you will play.
    I'm leaning towards mystics being underplayed, I don't really know why since it's a decent class.
    Just don't roll an archer.

Thank you in advance, will check the game tomorrow morning and i hope to stay for a while. :smile:
    Best way to judge something is to play it yourself, if you like it, then play it, if you don't then don't.​​
    Jws3dXe.gif
    The only fitting image for this forum.

• aradriel
    aradriel Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited June 2016
    Hello guys, i used to play this game around 5 years ago, and i really loved it, my character back then was a Wizard and i spent thousands of hours on him.

Hey there,

I'll weigh in on your questions. Like you, I have the most hours logged on my wizard, though I have also put many hours into playing cleric as well.
    However right now i have seen really bad reviews about this game on almost every site, so here are some questions:

The short answer is yes. The long answer is that there are many reasons why this is so. Clever players who are skilled at playing the market in MMOs can do decently by flipping sale items and general "merching" for a minimal initial investment, but this requires the "know-how" and understanding to do so, plus a solid internet connection that can support running catshop toons reliably. I don't at all consider myself in that category, and for folks who aren't, it's a difficult road attempting to farm what you need to get the gear that makes you competitive for endgame content. Getting into a supportive faction can help; one that can help you farm your TT99 @ level 100 which will set you up to be able to farm on your own. Farming and selling T3/g16 armors and EODs (Essence of Defense)/EOOs (Essence of Offense) can be a decent source of income, and I know of a few friends who farmed their r9 that way. Ways of reliably getting coin, however, are very rare -- especially as a new/leveling player. Many players find they finally reach 100 and are completely unable to fund mats for basic 100 gear. And items like strong War Avatar card sets, +11/+12 orbs for refining, Emperor tomes, DoDs/JoSDs/DoTs/Deity shards which are highly desirable and make a significant difference in how good your gear is for endgame can be very difficult to come by and require huge amounts of coin, and many resort to cashing for these items.

The short answer - yes, there's decent population, but this population tends to be concentrated in 100+ longtime PWI players. There are very few truly "new" folks to PWI that I ever meet that actually stick around -- many low level folks you find will be alts of endgame players.

The power gaps in the game are pretty shocking now between your average new level 100 player who is just starting to work on their gear and other upgrades and a fully maxed out and geared endgame character. In the old days, before r9, this wasn't nearly as bad, but now, PWI has added SO many systems of progression that require literally hours worth of dailies to keep up. So there are plenty of folks around at level 100+ working on these things, but imo, the daunting huge grind of endgame is offputting to new/returning folks (several of my old PWI friends have tried to come back and just got overwhelmed by how massively behind they are, and they leave again).

Walking around low-level zones these days is just sad, though. Places like Orchid Temple, Swamp of the Wraiths, and the starting cities used to be teeming with people. Going up to Etherblade these days though to do some refining is just depressing -- the human city is typically completely empty on Tideswell. This is due to quests in the new "dump" starting zone, Celestial Vale, which has made the racial areas less populated (such a huge mistake imo, it really killed the unique flavor choice of your class and race, which used to be one of my favorite aspects of the game). You can still go do quests around your racial city, but many don't bother, since you can just go directly to Archosaur post-Celestial Vale and keep going with your cultivation line and associated quests.

The answer to this is going to hugely depend on what your definition of "fun" is. Do you want to be competitive in pvp? Are you a solo pve player? Do you play MMOs for a good storyline? Do you enjoy old-school "fetch" quests? Are you a social player who loves to find a good guild/faction and hang out and chat all the time? PWI is great for some of these aspects of game play, average for others, and abysmally terrible for the rest. It just depends on what you like to do.

From my own experience, I feel as though PWI has lost the fun aspects it used to have. There are very, very few people around under level 80 -- you don't meet random players out questing the way you did in the old days. Once you hit the 80+ mark, you start finding more people and are more easily able to find squads for your level range content. In a more general sense, I really do feel the game's age when playing it. Casting spells feels slow and clunky, and being rooted in place for all of your combat (except the new SBs) just feels so dated compared to the newer generation of MMOs. My favorite aspects of a game are the game's story (PWI's is a convoluted mess, with horribly translated dialogue), endgame large-group pvp, and replayability/alt-friendliness (is the content fun enough to go through on different alts, and can you get your alts competitive without years of grind). On these elements, PWI is failing badly in my experience.

My faction has always sorely been lacking in barbs. There's a very low number of endgame barbs on my server in general, and I feel they're very underplayed. I also feel both human classes, BMs and wizards, are in short supply. Venos are also seriously needed but often is very hard to find one. And I actually see fewer archers these days as well. In massive supply are stormbringers, duskblades (to be expected of course, as they're new), seekers and psychics. Sins, mystics, and clerics are also plentiful, but not as many as the previous group.

Good luck if you decide to return. :)
    Raging Tides/Tideswell
    Arandelle | Cleric
    Aradriela | Wizard
    Not-so-perfect world'er since Jan. 2010.
  • gykill
    gykill Posts: 2 Arc User
    Tyvm for the great answers, i will give it a try and check the endgame content with my old wiz.
    It seems like a total diferent game so i will have to be open-minded, but at least the music (nostalgia strikes), and the world its pretty much the same. Thank you.
  • luckycut
    luckycut Posts: 46 Arc User
    Wow I like most the responses from the people who responded yes it is still pay to win or more truthfully pay for a chance to win. The second question is harder to answer yes their are ppl playing the game. New players i would say no. Most of any new players that come to the game leave,because of a few reasons, cost being one of them. The game is taking away every option for a new player to have any chance of making coin to compete with an older player. A newer player will have a difficult time getting things done due to the lack of newr players an older player will dual log an solo whatever he or she needs to get done an has the friend base to get help when needed. A newer player doesn't have that. Thats not to say there aren't any helpful people playing game there are.
    Is the game fun at low lvls i think your speaking of 100 or less 1-50 is easy enough with little help 50- 100 you will need help an squads to complete things in game 100 + is for the lack of a better word a grind. the game has changed alot in the 5 years you have been gone. If I was a new player coming to this game I wouldn't play this game. too many other games on the market now. This game is failing badly to keep pace with them. It's an old game an it is showing it as someone mentioned earlier The people who play game now most likely have invested alot on the chars they play an they want to have as much fun as possible. in being a newer player or player coming back . The cost of making a char competitive may not be worth it.