Elysium update Venomancer Skills reviews/discussion

Options
catgirldesu
catgirldesu Posts: 993 Arc User
edited April 2017 in Venomancer
Feel free to add your own opinions and tricks or advice you would like to share about how to take advantage of these skills.

Last update:15 August 2016. After experiencing all skills for a good amount of time, I added my final comments.

Ultimate Summoning
NOTE: As of October 26th, the skill also deals x2 base magic damage plus everything else.

Skill Description
Range: 28 meters
Mana: 450
Channel: 1.0 seconds
Cast: 4.0 seconds
Cooldown: 300 seconds
Weapon: Unarmed, Magic Instruments
Item: Subsiding Dirt

Required cultivation: Aware of Vacuity
Blast your target 5 times with magical force, dealing 850% of weapon damage plus 8242 as wood damage.

At level 2, summons several pets to attack all enemies within 12 meters:
Freezes them for 5 seconds
Increases the damage they take by 20% for 6 seconds
Reduces their chi by 1 spark
Reduces their magic defense by 100% for 6 seconds
Removes all positive status effects from them.

Video Demonstration
https://youtu.be/QwCQdht849E
https://youtu.be/6uV37ZXBdOg

Review
The Venomancer's ultimate skill. At level one it only deals damage. At level two the skill summons five pets. You don't have to own the pets yourself; the pets are part of the skill. Each pet releases a 12 meter AOE debuff (read the description).

If you stand somewhere where you cannot summon regular pets, the skill will be unable to summon its pets and thus you will only cast the damage. The debuffs can be resisted with Faith, immunes etc. and can be purified. That is except the Chi drain, for the obvious reasons.

Damage comparison (no weapon equipped for consistent damage, damage amplifications and debuffs not included):
New Venomous Scarab: 1339 (1607 + Pet)
Ultimate Summoning: 414 (829 Critical) per attack (5 times) - Total: 2070 (4145 Critical)

Each attack deals 170% weapon damage plus 1648.4 wood damage for a total of 850% weapon damage and 8242 wood damage.

Personal Opinion
The skill is one of the better ultimate skills classes got. I wish it wasn't so flashy, though. We already have too many flashy skills and FPS drop a lot during mass PvP/TW/etc. Are they ever going to update the game engine? That aside, the skill is cool and pretty.

I don't recommend using the skill for the damage because it's actually not that great. In some cases, spamming Venomous Scarab will give you better results. However, if you lack -channeling this skill will give you decent damage in a short amount of time. There are different variations and scenarios to take into account, but the point is you should not rely on or expect this skill to deal a lot of damage or kill people. You will want to use it for the debuffs and the AOE purge, above all.

I personally think this skill is not as scary as some people make it out to be since there are ways to resist it and if the squad is not coordinated enough, people won't really die since the Venomancer is not dealing any AOE damage. It can be very deadly when cast on a well coordinated attack, though! Make sure you save it for when your team is ready to drop some AOEs!

Venomous Scarab

Skill Description
Range 27 meters
Mana 130
Channel 1.5 seconds
Cast 1.0 seconds
Cooldown 1.0 seconds
Chi Gained 10

Throw a virulent parasite at the enemy,
dealing base magic damage plus 150% of
weapon damage plus 5953 as Wood damage. Deals an
additional 20% if you have a pet summoned.

Sage version has a 20% chance to generate an additional 30 Chi.
Demon version weakens the target for 6 seconds, reducing Wood Resistance by 30%.

Video Demonstration
https://youtu.be/6iLXewWFOss

Review
Venomous gains quite a bit of damage increase. When the pet is summoned it becomes our hardest hitting skill (when not counting Redstone's Fire DoT).

Testing damage without weapon, for consistency, the results were the following:
Old Venomous Scarab: 876
New Venomous Scarab: 986 (1184 + Pet)
Lucky Scarab: 916
Noxious Gas: 954 (1053 + wood DoT)
Redstone Venomworm: 1032 (1762 + fire DoT)
Parasitic Nova: 1145

Personal Opinion
For PvE, it's a good upgrade because we also have the new Heal Pet to help us keep the pets alive in instances. This means we can use the full power of Venomous and contribute to squads with better damage than before, even if the other classes don't care. For PvP, any damage increase is good news, but I find the pet requirement to be an unnecessary addition. Still, it's a good upgrade considering that Venomous is our spam-able skill.

Heal Pet

Skill Description
Range 25 meters
Channel 1.5 seconds
Cast 1.0 seconds
Cooldown 1.0 seconds
Chi Gained 8

Mend your pet's wounds, restoring 540 Health plus 30% of your base magic attack. Also reduces the AoE damage your pet takes from non-player enemies by 95% for 30 seconds. During that time, your pet will be immune to lethal damage and heal an additional 20% of max Health.

Video Demonstration
https://youtu.be/Yp_IachF1go
https://youtu.be/tFUuRaI2qhw

Review
The skill gives two new buffs to pets whenever you heal them. The first one puts a "Deaden Nerves" buff on the pet that prevents the pet's death if the hit is going to kill it. When the skill activates, the pet will automatically heal 20% of its HP. You can re-apply the buff whenever you heal the pet.

The second buff works in PvE only. It reduces AOE damage received by the pet from monsters by 95%. That is a pretty nice buff as it means that pets can now be used in instances more frequently without dying to bosses' and monsters' AOEs. You will be able to keep your pet alive and have it assist with damage on bosses. However, this buff does not work for direct damage.
New Heal Pet no longer aggros monsters.

Personal Opinion
After experiencing this skill in small scale PK, mass PK and mass PvP (TW, xTW etc.) here are my thoughts: It's pretty decent for small scale PK. With smart play, the pet should live fairly well, assuming it has some good stats and rolls to help it out. In mass PK that lacks a lot of AOE, the pet should also live fairly well. If there is a lot of AOE, however, the pet won't live too much. In TW and xTW, the pet dies fast because there's usually a lot of AOEs going off.

On the other hand, the PvE AOE damage reduction is really nice and very useful for instances. The "Deaden Nerves" buff can help the pet survive in some situations or even allow the Hercules tank the Toad in FSP (as some Venomancers discovered). Pets should rarely die in PvE now, unless you forget to heal them.

Natural Synergy

Skill Description
Mana 218
Channel Instant 
Cooldown 120.0 seconds

Tap into your latent connection with
nature to empower your pet, increasing
its Attack and Accuracy by 150% for 15
seconds. Also makes your pet immune to
movement debuffs. Stacks with the Claw skill.

Must be within 35 meters of your pet.
Costs 30 chi.

Video Demonstration
https://youtu.be/XUHD7UJpAbY

Review
Our Morai skill gains an update. The pet's attack power and accuracy increases by 150% instead of 100%, while also granting us and our pet a 15 second anti-stun, instead of 10 seconds. The chi cost was significantly reduced; it now costs only 30 chi.

Testing the pet damage on the rankings monster gave the following results:
No Natural Synergy: ~36k
With Natural Synergy: ~61k
With new Natural Synergy: ~72k

Numbers may vary by +/- 1000 or 2000 damage as evolved pets are affected by the weapon's range.

Personal Opinion
This is a decent update. You can now "spam" the skill in PvE whenever it's off cooldown (30 chi is easy to sacrifice), especially if you have a Harpy or a Battlebot pet, in order to maximize the pet's damage. It works for other pets as well, but the anti-aps buff of bosses will make it less effective. For PvP, it's nice as long as you're able to keep the pet alive (see Heal Pet entry), but kinda sucks for mass PvP like TW where the pet is likely to be dead most of the time.

Verdict
Honestly, my first impression of the skills was pretty poor. After I experienced the skills in different situations for a good amount of time, I can say this update has been better than I initially thought. ​​
Post edited by catgirldesu on

Comments

• calorien
    calorien Posts: 36 Arc User
    Options
    Ultimate Summoning Level 1

Range: 28 meters
    Mana: 450
    Channel: 1.0 seconds
    Cast: 4.0 seconds
    Cooldown: 300 seconds
    Weapon: Unarmed, Magic Instruments
    Item: Subsiding Dirt

Required cultivation: Aware of Vacuity
    Blast your target 5 times with magical force, dealing 850% of weapon damage plus 8242 as wood damage

At level 2, summons several pets to attack all enemies within 12 meters:
    Freezes them for 5 seconds
    Increases the damage they take by 20% for 6 seconds
    Reduces their chi by 1 spark
    Reduces their magic defense by 100% for 6 seconds
    Removes all positive status effects from them.
    The PWI info-fox formerly known as Mayfly - Dreamweaver
  • catgirldesu
    Options
    Mayfly! I thought you left the game or something. I'm glad you're still around!​​
  • calorien
    Options
    I've taken some breaks but am still around, just really don't like the new forum much.
  • catgirldesu
    Options
    calorien wrote: »
    I've taken some breaks but am still around, just really don't like the new forum much.
    Yeah, same. Though at least we can now add pictures/videos in any sub-forum and we have cool smileys if you use Asterelle's forum Enhancement! fox-45.gif

Alright, I've done a few instances with the new Heal Pet. It's pretty nice in PvE overall. It did save my Harpy from death a few times and that's nice. It's a pretty okay update PvE wise, though still rather meh for PvP except maybe 1v1. Still, I think people might be better off learning Venomous Scarab first because the damage boost seems pretty significant and it's our spam-able skill. I'm considering waiting to learn Ultimate Summoning level 2 first though.
    ​​
  • hogwarts123
    hogwarts123 Posts: 66 Arc User
    Options
    Ok So I just learned the new Venomous Scarab and I am pretty disappointed :/. After reading your review of the Heal Pet i decided to learn this skill instead. I cant make a video about it with my desktop out on service but i can give an honest review.

Damage increase - Was really excited about this as I was sure most are since it its the only human skill that is spammable. I first tested my damage before I learned it (my damage is around 90-100k noncrit/zerk on regular mobs) on mobs and on a friend. After I learned it I hit around 101-2k on average on mobs and 2-3k on other equally geared and +12 r9s on average QQ. I knew it wasn't going to be a broken increase in damage but maybe something more significant.

Pet Add on- Next I tested with the pet add that's supposed to increase the damage and im not even going to give the numbers because i couldn't tell, i was doing the same damage. A friend mentioned had maybe it was legendary pets only but I don't have one and can't test. If it is, then that sucks :/

Overall, I would say its great to get it if you can but not something to rush to get. I would have rather stayed on path for the lvl 2 ulti like most are doing. If you get the skill and have different results please let me know especially if you try with a legendary pet. Hope this helps my fluffy friends :3

• catgirldesu
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your experience! An acquaintance of mine seemed pretty happy with the Venomous upgrade so it's nice to see the other side of the argument. I'm still quite undecided on what skill to get next. It does seem like the regular skill upgrades for Venomancers aren't really all that great. monkey-9.gif

I can't say much about the Ultimate Summoning yet without testing it in PvP first, but I feel like maybe I'd rather have great upgrades to regular skills we use all the time instead of something awesome we only get to use every five minutes. Unless it turns out to be really that awesome, that our other upgrades don't matter. I'm just skeptical because while it seems like a great skill, people can/may still have time to react and resist/immune the AOE purges (and other debuffs if they are quick) and we're stuck for 5 seconds.

...or maybe I've just become a little too pessimistic after the recent disappointments of pets and skills. monkey-2.gif I'll keep my hopes low until I get my hands on it and experience it.

​​
  • srovarie
    srovarie Posts: 44 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    Options
    I don't know, I tested the new Venomous Scarab's damage and it wasn't so bad for me. My noncrit damage was about 135 k with the old skill, 160 k with the new, and 180 k with a Monkey near by me. So it is about +20-35% damage which I don't find so bad. (I use a magic sword btw so my damage is pretty stable.)
  • catgirldesu
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Yeah, Pataka's damage can vary a lot so it might not be a good testing tool. There is also the option to remove weapon entirely to have completely stable damage and then do the maths based on the numbers you get before and after.

I'm not a maths person though so I will let others do this part. I will take your word on that percentage increase. I'll probably record it with and without the weapon whenever I get the skill.
  • thage
    thage Posts: 17 Arc User
    Options
    Thanks for the info guys! Looks like I'll stick to getting the lvl 2 ulti first. The damage increase/aoe purge is just too good for me to pass up even though it'll be super situational.

Although I'm still unsure if you need the legendary pets to produce the effects stated on the skill or if they only add extra animations to it.
  • shade13
    shade13 Posts: 633 Arc User
    Options
    thage wrote: »
    Although I'm still unsure if you need the legendary pets to produce the effects stated on the skill
    You don't.​​
    Sg4FlzA.png
  • thage
    thage Posts: 17 Arc User
    Options
    Hot, thank you.
  • hogwarts123
    hogwarts123 Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Glad to see someone else benefited from this skill update. Maybe when I finish my gear, there will be more of an impact. What was also disappointed was the animation remained the same. Although they never usually change the animation unless skills are combined it would have still been nice to see something new.

• jeffcor90#6747
    jeffcor90#6747 Posts: 1 Arc User
    Options
    is there a guide as to which skills i should use/upgrade as i progress in the game? and what to add my points to for when I level up? im level 10 right now but have yet to add any points to anything because i dont want to mess up
  • catgirldesu
    edited April 2016
    Options
    is there a guide as to which skills i should use/upgrade as i progress in the game? and what to add my points to for when I level up? im level 10 right now but have yet to add any points to anything because i dont want to mess up

I suggest reading this Venomancer guide. It's pretty good for new players. Keep in mind it's from 2013, but most of the early game content is still the same. If you have any more questions feel free to make a new thread and ask all of your questions there. We'll answer them as best as we can. Also take a look at the useful venomancer links. There is a lot of information you can find there. ​​
  • catgirldesu
    Options
    Double post but... any of you lovely people can give me a screenshot with the skill description of the new Venomous Scarab? I've had a few people asking me for it, but I don't have the skill yet (and not entirely sure when I'll learn it). I'd appreciate it!​​
  • konataizumichan
    konataizumichan Posts: 94 Arc User
    Options
    As requested and ty for all your hard work as always Desdi =3

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • catgirldesu
    Options
    Ahh! Thank you very much! tiger-40.gif​​
  • calorien
    Options
    Σ Natural Synergy

Mana 218
    Channel Instant
    Cooldown Unarmed, Magic Instrument

Required Cultivation Aware of Vacuity
    Tap into your latent connection with nature to empower your pet, increasing its Attack and Accuracy by 150% for 15 seconds. Also makes your pet immune to movement debuffs. Stacks with the Claw skill

Must be within 35 meters of your pet

Costs 1 Spark
  • catgirldesu
    Options
    Isn't it supposed to have reduced chi cost? Or is it a typo in the description? tiger-16.gif​​
  • cococya
    cococya Posts: 162 Arc User
    Options

Isn't it supposed to have reduced chi cost? Or is it a typo in the description? tiger-16.gif​​

I thought so too but the book at the npc states the same chi cost and so does our skill interface.
    Sadly, I got heal pet and scarab upgrades first so I'm unsure if it's only a text bug or they've skipped the lessened chi cost.
    DeffyNature
  • shade13
    edited May 2016
    Options
    I was going to learn natural synergy in few days for less chi for 10 sec antistun. If description is correct, what is supposed to be an upgrade for this skill? 50% extra accuracy? China, seriously? tiger-16.gif​​
    Sg4FlzA.png
  • catgirldesu
    Options
    Oh lord.. let this be a typo please. tiger-18.gif​​
  • calorien
    Options
    Definitely a typo on the chi cost of sigma Natural Synergy. It's 30 chi.
  • shade13
    Options
    Yeah, just tested it, it's a typo. Relax, foxes :D​​
    Sg4FlzA.png
  • cococya
    cococya Posts: 162 Arc User
    Options
    calorien said:

Definitely a typo on the chi cost of sigma Natural Synergy. It's 30 chi.

That's awesome, thanks for letting us know!
    Can't wait to get it in 10 days haha.
    DeffyNature
  • catgirldesu
    Options
    Oh, phew. That's good news. ​​
  • catgirldesu
    Options
    Wild Venomous review appears!​​
  • testxvi
    testxvi Posts: 309 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Options
    It's a shiny!
    By the way, the buffs from pet heal lasts ~1 minute in case you didnt notice..
  • jadasia
    jadasia Posts: 520 Arc User
    Options
    testxvi said:

It's a shiny!

And I really noticed the difference with it too. My nix takes on an elementalist with no issues now with the heal.
  • seviper
    seviper Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2016
    Options
    testxvi said:

It's a shiny!

No. Is only 30s.