WTFAST and Other ping boosters

Options
samasalao
samasalao Posts: 159 Arc User
I am a old player from since when the game started (around nov 2008) I play every now and then, mostly inactive lately I started playing again trying to catch up with all the new content, I live in Colombia south America and my pings to the twilight server are fluctuating at best, I grow tired of watching my character attack without finishing his animation and decided to get something to stabilize my ping, got the most popular one (I Think) which is wtfast.

So bought 3 months of wttast at 60% discount and I was trying different servers to access PWI, Atlanta, Florida, Texas, most were giving worse pings that not using wttfast lol, way to live to the hype. But here is the big deal:
While checking my Blademaster email I got a strange message "You have been booted", when trying to log in again my account had been banned for one year, yep 1 year (in minutes but then again is still 1 year) LOL, no reason given no email sent nothing.

Now I am not going to discuss the ban this is probably not the place I already have the ticket created (which nobody has answered but hey this is PWI), I did mention it because it may be a warning, I am also wondering about the legality and usefulness of programs like wttfast that are supposed to help gamers that live overseas, and PWI stance regarding them, anyone else uses it are they useful? It seems to me that people that live far away from the servers get the short end of the stick in these kind of games, I do remember wtfast from the old forums, was where I got the name of program it was even recommended in a thread.

Anyway sorry for the wall of text leave a comment of what you think if you had some experience with these programs Thanks.

Comments

• doods00
    doods00 Posts: 106 Arc User
    Options
    More then likely they are just a renamed proxy or vpn. can be faster as it cuts the distance down and they may have much much higher bandwidths and speeds which translates into speed gain (sorta) but in reality and my experience, it doesnt really make you faster except in some special cases . Im pretty sure you cant use proxy servers which is why you woulda been banned.

• sylenthunder
    sylenthunder Posts: 3,061 Community Moderator
    Options
    Depending on where you live, and the quality of your local ISP's nodes, they can bring an improvement. They can also have an adverse affect as well.

As far as assisting with overseas connection, I personally don't see where they are going to make a huge improvement. You will get some due to preferential routing, but you're still dealing with the international trunk line, which is 90% of your problem.

Being a great distance from any multi-player server will always be an issue because the further you are, the longer the data has to travel. Which means more nodes it has to cross, and a definite increase in latency from the distance traveled. Not to mention the additional chances for dropped packets due to the increase in number of traversed nodes. (Something that 90% of the forum whiners have yet to figure out.)

Unfortunately, there is the caveat, which will get your account auto-banned in a large number of MMO's.
    Using a VPN service allows you to make your connection appear to originate from somewhere other than where you actually are. MMo's with blacklisted regions will not allow this type of connection because it allows you to "spoof" your location and appear that you are connecting from an allowed region, when in fact you could be in a blacklisted region.
    (Most common reasons for blacklisting regions are because of duplicate titles, or because of the large number of hackers. On my servers, I auto-blacklist Russia, China, and Egypt because that is where 90% of the hackers that grief games originate from. PWE excludes regions for both of these reasons. China and Russia because they have their own versions of PW, Egypt because of hackers. I'm sure there are more, but I'm not looking up the whole list for you atm.)​​
    582c1776c46eef7b527939a98b9d95a5.png

Support Email: customerservice@perfectworld.com
    ​​
    Get the Forums Enhancement Extension!
  • razzzza
    razzzza Posts: 456 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Options
    Use on your own risk, i used it serval years ago for like... 5 minutes and i got banned instantly.

It wasnt an issue though, they just banned it for security reasons and reopened it right away when i send a ticket and explaied the situation that i tried to lower the ping using WTFast.

Maybe it changed over the years but eh.. keep that in mind.​​
    m5k9ne4c.jpg