New player archer and PVP questions

endthefed#7958
endthefed#7958 Posts: 1 Arc User

After doing some research I'm still not clear on certain aspects of the archer.
How do I improve my speed? or as an archer am i stuck with 5.2 for the duration...
And the range of my bows/crossbows? what is the maximum range I'd likely be able to achieve before i'm level 50? all the bows and crossbows I've even laid eyes on so far at the shop appear to have an excessively small range limit of 20. Is there a player controlled class that can shoot something with a longer range than bow/crossbows? how easy or common is it for archers to be knocked out of flight during PVP?

I'm level 6. I'm willing to spend maybe half my fighting time between here and level 50... on grinds and NPC's....the rest needs to be PVP or at least attacking stuff t hat belongs to players. I hate grinds; only the real world stuff matters to me. Am I in the wrong game or is this a practical goal? How effective is the archer at stealthing... compared to the assassin. Half as effective? One quarter? 75 percent? Please put an estimated number on it if you can. Is archer the only unit that can fly?

The first three hours of game play have seemed like nothing more than a boring tutorial... nothing even seems to fight back and there is no danger in traveling from place to place. how do I skip to something interesting and get to the actual game? How do I leave this starter world it put me on and is that practical at level 6?

thanks much; look forward to being killed by some of you soon :)

Comments

• standoffishman
    standoffishman Posts: 136 Arc User
    Various equips increase speed by 0.1-0.3 m/s however it's fairly mild change. Charge orbs are a consumable will change your move speed to 15m/s for 15 seconds with a 1 minute CD shared with some other stuff. Normally they aren't spammed without reason as they get kinda expensive if you use 40 an hour. Holy path also increases your speed to 15 m/s and lasts for 6 seconds. It's a genie skill so how often it can be used depends on genie stats and energy regen. On a genie with relatively good regen it's about once every 20 seconds if you don't use other stuff. The coin cost of the stamina to use it is 500ish which is low enough that most leveled players can just spam it whenever and not care.

Flyers obviously add to your base speed up to 3.5m/s or 6.5m/s with accelerate on which indirectly consumes a consumable which must be bought. Ground mounts go up to 11m/s which can be had for minimal cost however they have a mount time which is kinda annoying.

Winged blessing increases archer range by up to 14m. The weapons themselves don't change their range. By level 50 you would have a 29 meter range assuming you level the passive as early as possible. Archers have the longest range in the game once leveled.

Flight isn't used much in pvp outside of support classes or if there is a specific reason to do so due to certain damage mechanics. For the most part people won't knock you out of the sky, they are much more likely to just try and kill you outright.

From what I recall 1-50 is about 2 days of not all that much play even for someone 100% new. You aren't going to find pvp outside of perhaps a few duels at that low of a level range. Archers are not used for stealth in pvp. All classes can fly.

If you followed the quests and played normally you'd have finished with the starter area and be 22ish in 3 hours of play.

There are quite a few ways of skipping early game play. None of them however work as a completely new player without paying PWE either to buy items directly or just to get coins to pay people to drag you around certain things for exp.

• magicsabre
    magicsabre Posts: 167 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    Some players here have high level characters. They had played years in pwi.

So they always say, that you can level from level 1 to level 100 during few days.

If you want challenge ... you can fly to any other area of pwi and kill yourself on any mob with level higher than your.

You can turn on PvP mode from level 30, but you will not be able kill any character, which is more powerful than mob level +5 counting from your level in real fight.
    Link below is guide for Archer
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/pwi#/discussion/620047/annors-archer-basics-guide/p1
  • tetraem007
    tetraem007 Posts: 129 Arc User

I'd not waste my time for research in forum if I'd be new to this game.
    You are playing a MMO. You should interact with the people in-game.

Join a faction and ask people for explanations (vent/ts > chatting).
    Almost everyone has an archer and knows at least the basics.
    Learning by doing is best.
    Forum (e.g. class sections) is outdated most of the time and a text of wall in general section won't help you much.
  • standoffishman

Some players here have high level characters. They had played years in pwi.

So they always say, that you can level from level 1 to level 100 during few days.

If you want challenge ... you can fly to any other area of pwi and kill yourself on any mob with level higher than your.

You can turn on PvP mode from level 30, but you will not be able kill any character, which is more powerful than mob level +5 counting from your level in real fight.
    Link below is guide for Archer
    http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/pwi#/discussion/620047/annors-archer-basics-guide/p1

I'm not sure if that leveling comment was directed at me. I recently started leveling an alt on another sever, quite literally within the last week. Low level questing really isn't that slow and 1-22 in 3 hours is actually about right for a new player. Of course if one stops to look at all the UI elements it takes longer but that's more doing research or reading about the game than really playing it.

People who claim insane leveling speeds could fairly easily claim south of an hour for 1-50 actually. It's quite doable although as one might expect does it not involve actually playing the character.
  • magicsabre
    magicsabre Posts: 167 Arc User

I'm not sure if that leveling comment was directed at me. I recently started leveling an alt on another sever, quite literally within the last week. Low level questing really isn't that slow and 1-22 in 3 hours is actually about right for a new player. Of course if one stops to look at all the UI elements it takes longer but that's more doing research or reading about the game than really playing it.

People who claim insane leveling speeds could fairly easily claim south of an hour for 1-50 actually. It's quite doable although as one might expect does it not involve actually playing the character.

It is not about speed of the leveling, it is about game.

I myself leveled my alt very fast 1-22 using aids from NPC, but leveling speed is not main measuring unit of the fun in the game, especially for novice.
  • standoffishman

It is not about speed of the leveling, it is about game.

I myself leveled my alt very fast 1-22 using aids from NPC, but leveling speed is not main measuring unit of the fun in the game, especially for novice.
    Oh, yeah they took that really early exp item spam out ages ago. Now it's mostly just because white quests consistently give very nice exp and you don't run out till 80something.

I take your point on the game being about fun however. I was mainly trying to illustrate to them that leveling isn't all that slow normally.

If you have a group to do it with I suspect taking the game very slowly and not participating in the wider market would be great fun. Farm your TT gear in a squad, do fb/bh as not complete jokes ect. May want to ignore certain things like NW existing to not break things admittedly.

I think it would be very isolating to do it without a group but I've seen people do it in other games. In some cases they've been truly exceptionally skilled players (overwhelmingly best in class on the server in one case). However I think it takes a certain personality, that I and I suspect most players don't have, to be able to be truly happy with your achievements doing that when the rest of the server doesn't give a **** that you spent 300 hours solo farming your own tt99.

(Note I put 300 hours because actually getting the clear is the hard part there not the farming. Yes it would still be hard as hell to do even now if you played this game as a solo rpg near as I can tell.)
  • kuroshin191
    kuroshin191 Posts: 9 Arc User
    I would not look directly to PvP if i was new to the game, especialy as an archer. Back in 2009, you could find lots of PvP action of lv.30~60, then years later it got harder, you should have at least TT99 gears to find something competitive. Nowadays, a common player with average gears can't survive 1 second in PvP. That's because our top players are Rank 9 gears (the best gear and most expensive at moment), not only that, they have huge "upgrades" on their equipment, making impossible to compete without being something near that.

I play as an archer for seven years now, my advice to new archers is not to focus mainly in PvP, because you'll hit a frustation wall. Do as people said above me, find a faction, do stuff and try to have fun.

About Range: Archers do have a good range, even a Lv80 buff to increase a bit more, although you won't find much difference between other classes range, since its just few steps better. The key to be a good archer is always be in a good position to take oportunities.

About Speed: We have a speed buff on Lv23 that increases evasion and movement speed. Used to be hyped years ago before the invention of holy path and Lv79 skill. I personaly love that buff and mostly can't walk around without it, its just 1m/s faster but feels good.

Stealth: Archers get stealth skill via Morai quests (Lv95) and its just a defensive ability, when used you can't move (well, your speed goes down to 0.1 m/s), but you can still leap to left and right (both also morai skills), making this a good escape tool.

The sad part about start playing pw is that being an old game, most of things are for Lv100+, events, dungeons and stuff. Something that works for me is to do something with someone and read more about the game itself, makes things more interesting.​​
  • angellicdeity
    angellicdeity Posts: 641 Arc User
    edited February 2016
    If your goal is to PvP - skip an archer and go for a Duskblade, Assassin, Seeker, or Stormbringer. To be competitive as an archer you have to vastly outgear your opponents. Only play an archer because you love the class and don't care how badly it competes with the other classes.

To put it in perspective - in the 8 years the archer class has existed it has never received a real buff to balance it against the massive power-creeps that have been added to this game:
    • While 5 classes get to quadruple their damage - archers still have their damage halved.
    • While light armor is supposed to be a step between arcane and heavy (equally balanced) - magic classes have received buffs to make their armor superior to light armor in physical defense
    • While 3 classes received the ability to stun through all movement immunity buffs - archers have not received any extra kiting-mechanic skills
    • While melee classes received skills that outrange archers - archers have gotten their melee survivability skills nerfed.
    Almost every melee class has more gap closers than archers have gap openers.

The only potential green light at the end of the tunnel for archers is they might get to use God of Frenzy and Purify with a G17 bow.
    Post edited by angellicdeity on
  • bhaven
    bhaven Posts: 45 Arc User
  • armoftheland
    armoftheland Posts: 124 Arc User
    if you dont like grind this is not the game for you.