test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Feedback Thread: Ravenloft Monster Hunts

ncoreadev#4548 ncoreadev Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 30 Cryptic Developer

Ravenloft Monster Hunts

We are excited to introduce an all new Monster Hunt feature for Ravenloft!

The basics of the hunt are as follows:
  1. Bring a Wanted Poster to Madam Eva (found in the Vistani Camp in Barovia.)
  2. Madam Eva will give you a special tarokka card reading.
  3. You will receive 3 clues to where your quarry will appear in Barovia.
  4. You (and your party) must find, chase and slay the monster for big rewards.
In introductory quest to hunt Direfang will be available from Ezmeralda D’Avenir (found in the village of Barovia.)

After you complete this quest, Wanted Posters will occasionally drop from larger Barovian foes. You may increase the challenge and rewards of these hunts by wagering cards from your own tarokka collection. Each tarokka card you add, brings a unique challenge to the hunt. Beware! A hunt can be made VERY difficult depending on the cards you play. Talk to Youri Vadu (also in the Vistani Camp) for additional details and hints.

This thread is for providing bug reports and feedback on the following topics:
  • Ravenloft Monster Hunts
  • Use of and effects of tarokka cards played as part of the hunt
As usual, new features on preview are subject to change. There are no guarantees that what you see on preview will make it to the module launch. Thank you so much for taking time to play on the preview shard and for providing feedback!

----

Formatting Your Feedback and Bugs

For posting feedback and bugs, please follow the following format to ensure your feedback and bugs are seen clearly and processed in a timely manner, thank you!

Type: Bug/Feedback (Please only choose one)
If you are listing a bug please have this text in RED, if you are posting an opinion or feedback please use CYAN. If you are replying to another user's post, or just engaging in general discussion, please do not color your posts, general discussion is welcome and we will read all of it, regardless of color! You can use BBCode to color your text:

<font color=cyan>This text will display in cyan.</font> <font color=red>This text will display in red.</font>

Examples:
Bug: Lycosa the giant spider gets stuck on the Standing Stones

Post edited by asterdahl on

Comments

• martelis1981martelis1981 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 121 Arc User
    I hope it's not like Omu, RNG behind RNG behind another RNG, etc ;)
  • doink#2651 doink Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    Hooray, I am back at FF XII rare mob hunt. Hope for the best that it is less RNG based... Btw, the mobhunts in FF XII were great, so I´m looking forward to the new system.
    Doink....useless TR...

• ravenskyaravenskya Member Posts: 1,891 Arc User
    And let me guess - posters don't stack, and neither do whatever the critters drop.

Or is it another pyramid scheme where the one hunt is for some stupid reason carrying around the poster for the better hunt?
    Founding Member of "Wrong Side of the Stronghold"
    Ravenskya - TR / Krisha Chaos - OP / Waffles - GF / Dex Domitor - HR
    Becky the trendy GWF - GWF / Too Toasty - SW / Falcor - DC / Morrigan - CW / Sir Didymus - OP

• misquamacus2misquamacus2 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 193 Arc User
    I do like the fact that you can add cards to increase the difficulty.

Now I can't remember if you can see the hunt map before you leave madam Eva, but if you can't, it will be difficult to decide if you want to use cards that reduces the time of the hunt, depending on how far it is between the hunt points.

• athena#9205 athena Member Posts: 575 Arc User
    ravenskya said:

And let me guess - posters don't stack, and neither do whatever the critters drop.

Or is it another pyramid scheme where the one hunt is for some stupid reason carrying around the poster for the better hunt?

i got a 2 star hunt poster from a rewards pack from a 1 star hunt direfang, the pack is RNG though i think. but there are tough monsters like the night terror that will drop stuff and maybe a poster and it isnt' a hunt.
  • bayaz#7892 bayaz Member Posts: 89 Arc User
    ravenskya said:

Actually they do stack and you can sell them in the AH. I am not sure if this is wai, but i like it.

I have only done the initial hunt (need to wait for a few guildies this weekend to do them together), but the posters are an automatet pickup when you defeat a monster.

I killed the night terror yesterday and maybe got the second poster, that stacks with the previous one, there but i am not sure, because of the automatet pickup.

My third poster was from a vampire elder/noble in the undead village in the southeast. (Sorry,forgot the real name). He was not marked as special in any way. Got 1 poster today in an hour (give or take) of killing stuff.
    Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master
  • joqueras84#8733 joqueras84 Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    What's happening with hunt armors? they all are so bad.Is this an joke or something?Pls make them better than mod 13, we should go forward not backward.Big disappointment this new mod 14 hunt armors.
  • aerthynaerthyn Member Posts: 68 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    BUG: After completing the first hunt mission I have an item in my inventory "Hunt Rewards" which states "M14 Hunt Rewards - This is an invisible pack that should open on pick up. If you are seeing this the Equip on Pickup isn't working
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    As I said before, the new hunts are a massive improvement over the Chult hunts. Poaching will be less of an issue, RNG on top of RNG on top of RNG is less of an issue, and identical posters stack (like treasure maps, but unlike trophies)

So, good job...

However, there is one problem. Most of the hunt rewards are simply not worth going after except for salvage. You are missing the top tier, that people would really want.

My suggestion: If people select the absolutely hardest versions of the hunts, add a chance for better drops, like the +5 Chult rings
    Hoping for improvements...
  • reds351reds351 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 343 Arc User
    adinosii said:

As I said before, the new hunts are a massive improvement over the Chult hunts. Poaching will be less of an issue, RNG on top of RNG on top of RNG is less of an issue, and identical posters stack (like treasure maps, but unlike trophies)

So, good job...

However, there is one problem. Most of the hunt rewards are simply not worth going after except for salvage. You are missing the top tier, that people would really want.

My suggestion: If people select the absolutely hardest versions of the hunts, add a chance for better drops, like the +5 Chult rings

Agree with this. The Cards make the mechanics fun we did a hunt with two aggro range cards and it was hilarious as everything we could see was running at us.
    The main issue is the gear stat based gear is just not as good as % damage bonus gear from omu. Gear that summons mobs to fight for you is cool but they only hit 11-14k every 3 seconds. Maybe that type of gear is something to bounce burning guidance off?
  • pteriaspterias Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 661 Arc User
    aerthyn said:

BUG: After completing the first hunt mission I have an item in my inventory "Hunt Rewards" which states "M14 Hunt Rewards - This is an invisible pack that should open on pick up. If you are seeing this the Equip on Pickup isn't working

I saw the exact same thing. I opened it and got another hunt poster, but should have just gotten that directly.
  • dominious12dominious12 Member Posts: 92 Arc User
    Disconnecting during the introductory Direfang hunt caused me to fail and the quest prompted me to return to the quest giver. On the way I saw I could collect another wanted poster from the post, collected it and went back to madame Eva. I was able to re-try the hunt, kill it and receive rewards. Once I returned to the quest giver I was told I had failed and could re-try, so I went back to the post, got another wanted poster, and did the hunt again, for another set of loot.

Also from the Direfang hunt. The "hints" as to where the hunt mark would spawn were so obvious that I never looked at my map when I tried it on my main. As a result I completed the hunt and the quest without looking at the tutorial tips on the map. I now have my map stuck permanently telling me to set a waypoint at the gates of Ravenloft, which I cannot get rid of as no such location marker exists on my map outside the hunt instance.
  • snottysnotty Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 476 Arc User
    I don't know if its bad luck with the RNG or a bug but I've done 5 hunts (4, 1 stars and 1, 2 star) with no extra cards and the rewards I got make them not worth doing. It was pretty much the same rewards I can get from doing heroic encounters.
    Getting disconnected (which seems to be happening all the time on preview) automatically kicks you out of a hunt instance, even if you are in a group and the other members remain inside. There seems to be no way to rejoin them in the same instance.
  • mathnotevenonce#2925 mathnotevenonce Member Posts: 34 Arc User
    Not specifically about the Ravenloft hunts. But Much like the post about upgradeable rings in the Ravenloft rewards thread, it would be nice to offer up the chult (particularly soshenstar for us xbox players) slayer hunt rings in their +5 variant in some manner.

After hundreds of hunts, I have yet to see a +5. I ran 20+ last night and saw one or two +3's. I don't care if it's grindy or hard, but there's a likelihood that I can never unlock this achievement. It's not fair because it doesn't rely on skill, or time or anything like, but rather something out of my control. Considering I've been doing hunts for 5 months without a drop, it seems impossible.

Possible ideas include, being able to upgrade any of the hunt rings via refinement process (or hell, even restoration), enabling them to appear on AH so I can just buy them (at this point, I'd do it), enabling them to be traded so I can touch the ring and give it back, since RNG hates me but not my friends, being able to buy them with campaign currency like chultan treasures (I have tons of these but no use for them) and so on. And lastly, migrating the previous hunt system towards something that's less RNG based (which m14 sounds like a step in the right direction).
  • ncoreadev#4548 ncoreadev Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 30 Cryptic Developer
    This is great feedback folks. We will be looking at rewards and the bugs that have been found.

Disconnecting during the introductory Direfang hunt caused me to fail and the quest prompted me to return to the quest giver. (snip)

Also from the Direfang hunt. (snip) I now have my map stuck permanently telling me to set a waypoint at the gates of Ravenloft, which I cannot get rid of as no such location marker exists on my map outside the hunt instance.

Dominious12, we would love to get a little more info on your experience.

How did you disconnect?
    How long before you logged back in?
    Have you tried pushing thru the tutorial text while you were on another hunt?

Thanks again!
  • archangelzorak01archangelzorak01 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 324 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    I've done a decent number of hunts now. Twelve I've done by myself and about as many again in a group of 3.
    By myself I completed 2 Direfangs, about 5 one-star hunts, 3 two-star hunts and 2 three-star hunts. From those hunts I got a decent amount of blue quality salvage as well as 1 specific hunt drop. In the group we did a few more one-star hunts, 3 or 4 two-star hunts and finally 2 additional three-star hunts. In the group we got 2 drops from the three-star hunts.

The difficulty of the hunts feels good, they can be as weak or as strong you like them. You can cater the difficulty based on who you're hunting with, if anyone. For instance I plan on doing my next three-star hunt with +300% dmg/+300% health/enemies are dungeon level just to see how difficult I can make things for a full grp of BiS players.

All hunt mobs have so far functioned normally and no hunts have been lost due to bugs. All loots have been properly delivered to my inventory or on the ground, as expected. Getting the wanted posters seems easy enough though I wouldn't mind a few more of the strong enemies that drop them to be scattered around the map. Right now I'm out of maps and am kind of at a loss as to what the best method is to effectively farm for more.
    Neverwinter Module 6: The only MMO expansion in the history of MMO's to remove more content than it added.

• debuggeddebugged Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    Anyone who knows me on preview also knows I hate these slow forums, the fact you have a repurposed a forums with a posting style guide for bugs or feedback rather than an actact bug tracker drives me insane...
    That said I wanted you to know the challenges on hunts made things fun...
    Combining epic mobs and ghost spawns with no regen turns it into an utter insane slaughter for even a group of people that was cool...
    The caveat is if Iwant the artifact I can't do them anymore consuming the 3 cards I used to have more fun sucks I don't like that and trading cards at the vendor if it is going to cost more cards to get 1 card let me pick the actual card I want not another RNG chance at the card I am missing.

This is great feedback folks. We will be looking at rewards and the bugs that have been found.

Disconnecting during the introductory Direfang hunt caused me to fail and the quest prompted me to return to the quest giver. (snip)

Also from the Direfang hunt. (snip) I now have my map stuck permanently telling me to set a waypoint at the gates of Ravenloft, which I cannot get rid of as no such location marker exists on my map outside the hunt instance.

Dominious12, we would love to get a little more info on your experience.

How did you disconnect?
    How long before you logged back in?
    Have you tried pushing thru the tutorial text while you were on another hunt?

Thanks again!
    I'm afraid i can't tell you much on the "how" of the disconnect, I got red "server not responding" text for about 10 seconds and was booted to login screen. I logged back in immediately so I was out of the game for less than a minute, but I had been removed from the instance.

Re: getting rid of the tutorial in another hunt, I plan to try that but keep forgetting to actually do it when I have a map D:

As an addendum to the being removed from instance from disconnects though...
    Getting disconnected during a hunt instance removes you from it even when in a party with another player who remains inside while you are gone. I got disconnected while doing 2 star hunts with a friend and discovered I had been kicked out of her hunt and couldn't re-enter. Trying to go in through Madame Eva's tent only gave me the option of starting my own new hunt.

Also might be asking too much, but have you considered adding a small Omens reward to hunts, like the Soshenstar/Omu hunts giving totems/idols, pretty please? :)
  • asterdahlasterdahl Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 1,258 Cryptic Developer
    edited May 2018

What's happening with hunt armors? they all are so bad.Is this an joke or something?Pls make them better than mod 13, we should go forward not backward.Big disappointment this new mod 14 hunt armors.

Can you give more specific feedback on which equipment you did not like? Each hunt mark has a rare chance of dropping a special piece of equipment, but of course, random enemies in the zone like the rest of Barovia have a chance of dropping equipment. Additionally, certain cards provide equipment rewards, but the rewards vary in item level depending on the card used.

For instance, the high card The Donjon provides item level 510 equipment. However, this card also enhances the strength of all monsters in the zone to be as strong as monsters in an epic dungeon such as Castle Ravenloft.

It is not intended that when you complete a hunt with only a few easy cards that you will immediately replace some of the hardest earned equipment from the previous modules. If you are rocking primal gear or vivified primal gear, there will be some opportunities for upgrades in the hunts, but they will be harder to find. And of course, you always have the opportunity to trade cards to seek out those that might provide you with a chance at an upgrade.
  • adamantineangeladamantineangel Member Posts: 55 Arc User
    edited May 2018

Suggestion: In the Underdark Campaign is the mount and companion affinity boost. This makes me consider the existing undead mounts and companions and ask if it be would plausible for undead mounts and companions to enjoy such an affinity in Barovia, especially since it takes advantage of existing game assets?

I mean, really, Barovia is crawling with the undead. It would be "Disneyland" for them.

I just realized that I posted this to the wrong thread. It was meant for the Barovia Zone thread. Sorry about any confusion caused.
    Post edited by adamantineangel on
  • rickcase276rickcase276 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 1,404 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    I just wish that the armors you get from spending the campaign currency was not class specific(i.e. Horseman's, Raven etc). It would make it easier to gear alts of other classes, it is fine if all you have is one class.
    Can confirm, going in to a different hunt and setting the waypoint inside fixed my issue of leftover tutorial pointers from the introductory hunt.
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    > @asterdahl said; If you are rocking primal gear or vivified primal gear, there will be some opportunities for upgrades in the hunts, but they will be harder to find.

keep in mind that as Seals of the Brave will be easier to get, the baseline will be primal gear. Everyone doing Ravenloft will have at least that.

Items with similar stats as primal, but different stat allocations or different bonuses may be of interest for some builds, but lesser gear will be salvage or transmuting gear.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • dairyzeusdairyzeus Member Posts: 304 Arc User
    From what I've seen there isn't a single piece of new gear in mod 14 that I would use. That includes weapons, belts, necks, artifacts, and all 4 gear slots (I don't think there's rings?).

You introduced some heavy power creep in mod 13 with % damage boosting armor and rings, nothing on preview now comes close to those.

I don't have access to preview myself so I'm only going on pictures others post, but from what I've seen it all looks pretty underwhelming for current BiS players.

As it stands, when mod 14 drops I will buy groot and a bat mount, and be done with character development for the mod...
  • noworries#8859 noworries Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 651 Cryptic Developer

Also might be asking too much, but have you considered adding a small Omens reward to hunts, like the Soshenstar/Omu hunts giving totems/idols, pretty please? :)

It is something we can look into. However, these wouldn't be bonus currency as they were in Chult, and instead would count against the weekly cap.

• thefiresidecatthefiresidecat Member Posts: 4,486 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    wow I just took a look in preview at the things to find in ravenloft. maybe I just don't understand the implications yet but it looks like there is absolutely nothing there worth pursuit for dps or do dcs (some questionable stuff for acs) ? so what if the gear has a higher il. the stats are not as good as what we already have from previous hunts and dungeons.
  • theraxin#5169 theraxin Member Posts: 370 Arc User
    edited May 2018
    asterdahl said:

Can you give more specific feedback on which equipment you did not like? Each hunt mark has a rare chance of dropping a special piece of equipment, but of course, random enemies in the zone like the rest of Barovia have a chance of dropping equipment. Additionally, certain cards provide equipment rewards, but the rewards vary in item level depending on the card used.

For instance, the high card The Donjon provides item level 510 equipment. However, this card also enhances the strength of all monsters in the zone to be as strong as monsters in an epic dungeon such as Castle Ravenloft.

It is not intended that when you complete a hunt with only a few easy cards that you will immediately replace some of the hardest earned equipment from the previous modules. If you are rocking primal gear or vivified primal gear, there will be some opportunities for upgrades in the hunts, but they will be harder to find. And of course, you always have the opportunity to trade cards to seek out those that might provide you with a chance at an upgrade.
    I'm initially did not wanted to post about this, but if that got called out...

Seriously, 2 overdefensestatted armlet, which, lets face it, not just garbage, but does not make sense even if defense would raise your legendary mount drop percentage, because you just cannot wear both.

And why the sister punishes you? If you can use the niche potential of that armlet you deserve it to be good in all case. Even in PvP GF, it's not breaking anything, just one more tool in the (enormous) arsenal of defense mechanisms. And it's the worst type of RNG, because you did not expect it to happen and when it does, you rage into oblivion.

I don't expect them to overwrite the best gears in the game, but when you go through the hunt collection and then immediately forget what any of them does is a big issue (Okay, I actually remember the full power armlet, but that's all).

The main issue is that while it's okay to be worse than Omu hunts and Primal, I'd rather use plain bonusless, but good stat gears than any of the hunt items in the collection. They are facing into the wrong side and moreso, does not even do it reliably.

Like, the crown would have a cool effect and great potential somewhere, but except farming in double XP event at specific zones you'd never use that... and I'm unsure if we need that cap for this reason.

And I'm sure that there's a defense armor too, just the list got a little throttled even without that.

Edit: Cut the 1 item pic into 2 to better view.
This discussion has been closed.