test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Crocheted Dragonscale Gauntlets

miniar0isminiar0is Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
edited January 2015 in Art and Fiction
They don't drop enough ingame for me... so I made my own!

And then I made... more....

il_570xN.672201938_s0fv.jpg
il_570xN.676489724_d8u9.jpg
il_570xN.676597845_r276.jpg
il_570xN.676457122_j3ha.jpg

Want your own pair?
Post edited by miniar0is on

Comments

• miniar0isminiar0is Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Couple more...

il_570xN.673612548_s1sf.jpg
    il_570xN.672322459_e6ra.jpg
    il_570xN.668115906_s7kx.jpg
  • silence1xsilence1x Member Posts: 1,503 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Very nice. I admire people that can do that stuff.

Now - put them on Etsy so you can earn money to buy Zen.
    I aim to misbehave
  • sprawlfxsprawlfx Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Those are flippin' awesome! =D
    edited November 2014
  • herundrionherundrion Member Posts: 238 Arc User
    edited November 2014
    Super awesome.

Gonna make my wife make me some :D
    Co-Founder of -Valor-
    vih2r9.png
    edited December 2014
    edited December 2014
    There's also this one!

tumblr_ngon5xgMzA1qdbe0ro3_250.jpg
  • glartyglarty Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 123 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    They are way kewl.

Can we buy them xD?
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    These are really nice! The first one you posted looks the most scale-like, but I also like the green w/ blue & black trim ones! How long does each pair take you to make? Did you have to do a lot of trial and error to get the sizing right, or did you use some elastic so they could fit different people?

Anyway, I wish I had that kind of creative ability! :o
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited December 2014
    Awesome! I want some :D

As somebody who actually knows how to crochet I have to say that is quite impressive. Well done.
    edited December 2014
    glarty wrote: »
    They are way kewl.

Can we buy them?

Yup. Link's in my signature.
    bioshrike wrote: »
    These are really nice! The first one you posted looks the most scale-like, but I also like the green w/ blue & black trim ones! How long does each pair take you to make? Did you have to do a lot of trial and error to get the sizing right, or did you use some elastic so they could fit different people?

Anyway, I wish I had that kind of creative ability!

Each pair takes me a minimum of 6 hours to make and that's if I sink into a series or an audiobook and am able to work completely uninterrupted and without any hiccups.... Most pairs therefore take me about 8 hours.

There's no elastic, I work them so they're tight on me (and I wrote down the pattern I used as I made the first individual glove so I'm able to recreate the pattern without issue) because my hands are sizable, but with the give that yarn provides, my pair is actually very loose and I can pull 'em over thin gloves as is.
    Most folks that have tried 'em on have found them to be a comfortable fit, with the exception of the thinnest individuals. My daughter is the model in the photos, which is why they look so baggy... she's rather skinny... even if she eats more than two over 6 foot tall burly men.. (literally true... literally!)

Everyone has creative ability, it's just a matter of finding the right outlet. :)
    Awesome! I want some

As somebody who actually knows how to crochet I have to say that is quite impressive. Well done.

Thank you
    edited December 2014
    Also... guess what...

il_570xN.704462309_agk1.jpg
    il_570xN.704281490_kfg1.jpgil_570xN.704256156_dno0.jpgil_570xN.704368929_qnmt.jpg

... there's more of them now...
    edited December 2014
    Even went full rainbow on one pair!

il_570xN.704322853_cwxz.jpg
  • sprawlfxsprawlfx Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    I want those dark blue ones for my wife. But I need to set up an account which I don't have time to do tonight. I guess I will PM you this weekend to see if you still have them.
    edited December 2014
    sprawlfx wrote: »
    I want those dark blue ones for my wife. But I need to set up an account which I don't have time to do tonight. I guess I will PM you this weekend to see if you still have them.

The topaz blue ones? yup, still got 'em, and in the off chance they get snatched up in the meanwhile, I can always make a second pair. :)
  • rifter1969rifter1969 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 516 Arc User
    edited December 2014
    These are really awesome!!!!! :D

Kudos to you, your talent and ingenuity... :)
    edited January 2015
    rifter1969 wrote: »
    These are really awesome!!!!! :D

Kudos to you, your talent and ingenuity... :)

Thank you!
    I'm super proud of 'em.

Churning out orders at the moment, got one pair I haven't photoed yet, and yarn for a couple more.
  • imprezadickenimprezadicken Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Very cool :)
  • hefisdohefisdo Member Posts: 709 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2015
    Holy cows!

10/10, that's so beautiful!
    (´・ ω ・`)
    edited January 2015
    Very cool :)
    hefisdo wrote: »
    Holy cows!

10/10, that's so beautiful!

^^ Thank you. :)
    edited January 2015
    il_570xN.712651035_raji.jpg
    And another one.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited January 2015
    Do they make metallic-colored yarn? Man, I should try my hand at knitting! How long have you been at it?
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited January 2015
    Crocheting is actually very easy. My mother used to do it to relax.

If all you do is single crochets you would get practiced enough to do it without looking at the needle within hours. My mother would make blankets while literally watching TV.

Those dragon gauntlets are most definitely not just single crochets, but IMO crocheting is definitely a useful skill to pick up and it's really not complicated or expensive. It will cost $5-$10 to buy some yarn and a hook if you just want to experiment with it. This video might not be the best at describing the single crochet stitch (first video I found) but it isn't a bad one.

And yes they do make metallic yarn but it tends to be a mixture of materials and it can look very grainy for a lack of a better descriptive. It's caused by limitations created by the materials. Think of it this way, have you ever seen a shiny/metallic wool shirt? It would make sense one you see it in person and how it reacts to light. So yeah, it exists but it might not be the effect you desire.
    edited January 2015
    There are multiple yarns that have what could be described as a single thread of tinsel running through them. I've worked with those before.
    There are also yarns that are made of high gloss materials, like certain acrylics, and some silks.. they are difficult to work with because they slide around a lot...

The worst yarns are the fuzzy/furry ones... eyelash, fun fur, etc,.. you need excellent lighting and concentration to even have a chance of doing anything beyond a single crochet stitch with those tbh...

I first learned to crochet as a kid, but I've only really been putting in the work for the past 4-5 years.
    These gauntlets are the first time I've actually worked my own pattern from beginning to end, instead of making alterations to someone else's patterns.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2015
    Very cool! My mother has been crocheting for longer than I've been alive! She's able to look at a picture of something and make it without a pattern. Blows my mind!
    edited January 2015
    zebular wrote: »
    Very cool! My mother has been crocheting for longer than I've been alive! She's able to look at a picture of something and make it without a pattern. Blows my mind!

My mother does that with a sewing machine.. looks at a dress in the store,.. tries it on... looks at the price tag of 300 bucks.. leaves.. buys 10 bucks of fabric, goes home, and makes it.. only better.
  • zebularzebular Member, Neverwinter Moderator, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 15,270 Community Moderator
    edited January 2015
    miniar0is wrote: »
    My mother does that with a sewing machine.. looks at a dress in the store,.. tries it on... looks at the price tag of 300 bucks.. leaves.. buys 10 bucks of fabric, goes home, and makes it.. only better.
    I showed my sisters and mother these and she said "Wow, she did real good making her own crocodile stitch!" That's high praise coming from my mother, especially in regards to crocheting! :)