test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Working on new painting skills

johntheguard159johntheguard159 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
edited June 2014 in Art and Fiction
So I've been dabbling in some different painting styles lately sooo what do you guys think? I'm pretty new to this so please don't flame me too bad :)

Let me know what you guys think

2dh88p4.jpg

2czzwhv.jpg

b5o840.jpg
Post edited by johntheguard159 on

Comments

• johntheguard159johntheguard159 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    2rf9gg1.jpg

33lp1so.jpg

mhuf10.jpg

2gwz98o.jpg
  • chaoscourtesanchaoscourtesan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2014
    I like these.. there was an old man down on South Street in Philly, used to pump one of these out in about 7 minutes.. using spray paint and coffee can lids and such.. was pretty amazing to watch. He'd sell 'em quick, too, at about 10 - 20 bucks each. I used to have one of them, but my son really liked it some years ago, and I gave it to him.
    Rhyon Cawdorian GWF | Opa Loka TR | Cormac Argentus III DC | Annika Thornblade GF | Aerys Skydark HR | Bartin Findlor TR | Aellia Baalthrall CW | Lucan Hawkmoon CW | Opa Brahk GWF | Korzbyrk DC | Den Kruk GWF | Jherek Skarsin CW |
    Roland Mac Sheonin GF | Tarron Direheart SW |
    edited May 2014
    I actually use spraypaint for these works and then I go back and add some smaller details with my acrylic paints.
  • ambisinisterrambisinisterr Member, Neverwinter Moderator Posts: 10,462 Community Moderator
    edited May 2014
    Very interesting and much better than I can paint in a standard medium. Well done.

My only bit of advice would be to consider a bit of blurring and color distortion to give depth to the pictures. The human eye guages distance based on size, of course but clarity and color also make a massive impression as well.

For instance in your second post the biggest issue is that the two plants/moons are the same size and to a lesser extent the same amount of clarity so they look like they are the same distance. However in the second post third picture the two planets/moons are vastly different sizes but equally detailed so they appear as the same distance from the viewer.

If this is the effect you wanted, great, but if not here is an example of distance being displayed via clarity. :)
    3422.jpg
    edited May 2014
    Very interesting and much better than I can paint in a standard medium. Well done.

My only bit of advice would be to consider a bit of blurring and color distortion to give depth to the pictures. The human eye guages distance based on size, of course but clarity and color also make a massive impression as well.

Thanks for the criticism, I'm going to try some of this in my next piece
  • metonymymetonymy Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited June 2014
    Wow, these are really nice! I'm really fond of the last one because of the colors you were able to give it. Maybe try painting nebulae or other such colorful space objects - it could come out really awesome! :>