test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

RIP: David Trampier

zdaddyozdaddyo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 73
edited April 2014 in Art and Fiction
Sad news. One of the greats of D&D art passed away last week. Dave Trampier's iconic work helped propel D&D into the mainstream with work like the cover of the first Players Handbook, the Dungeon Master's Screen, tons of inside art for the original AD&D books (Players Handbook, Dungeon Masters Guide, Monster Manual, Dieties and Demigods), and the cover of the original Gamma World box. One of his best known works was the brilliant comic Wormy that was featured at the back of the Dragon Magazine.

Read more about his passing: http://www.pastemagazine.com/articles/2014/03/dd-artist-david-trampier-1954-2014.html

See some of his art: https://www.google.com/search?tbm=isch&sa=1&q=Trampier+art&oq=Trampier+art
Post edited by zdaddyo on

Comments

• dandare#8529 dandare Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 337 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Sad news... really sad. :(
    "You stand as inspiration. You are practically the Avatar of Buttkicking." -Quote towards Minsc
    "I choose You Jymaru!" ~for there are times when more than words need to do the talk
  • chaoscourtesanchaoscourtesan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Yeah.. he was the real deal. Every single one of those images brought back a string of memories...
    Rhyon Cawdorian GWF | Opa Loka TR | Cormac Argentus III DC | Annika Thornblade GF | Aerys Skydark HR | Bartin Findlor TR | Aellia Baalthrall CW | Lucan Hawkmoon CW | Opa Brahk GWF | Korzbyrk DC | Den Kruk GWF | Jherek Skarsin CW |
    Roland Mac Sheonin GF | Tarron Direheart SW |
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Well that just sucks.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • wildfire5wildfire5 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Woah, this guy was talented.
  • chaoscourtesanchaoscourtesan Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Yeah when I was a young teenager and my (30 something years later, still) best friend and I split the cost of the original D&D game.. and later as the various guides and handbooks were released and we swooped in and scooped 'em up.. this guy's artwork made it all the more magical. Sometimes stylized symbolic images, sometimes more illustration.. but always delivering a mood. He has no doubt inspired just a gazillion people in one way or another.
    Rhyon Cawdorian GWF | Opa Loka TR | Cormac Argentus III DC | Annika Thornblade GF | Aerys Skydark HR | Bartin Findlor TR | Aellia Baalthrall CW | Lucan Hawkmoon CW | Opa Brahk GWF | Korzbyrk DC | Den Kruk GWF | Jherek Skarsin CW |
    Roland Mac Sheonin GF | Tarron Direheart SW |
  • dragoness10dragoness10 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 780 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    Nuu........ he drew such cool stuff!

:(
    " I tried to figure out the enigma that was you, and then I realized mastering Wild Magic was easier." - Old Wizard in Waterdeep

"Why is it dragons only use ketchup? I'd like a little wasabi please. Us silvers like a variety of condiments."

"Don't call them foolish mortals. One, they don't learn from it. Two, It just ticks them off." - An Ancient Red Dragon
  • aandrethegiantaandrethegiant Member Posts: 3,364 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    6eecf5115fecdf05551b15dd91c11c95.jpg

The hope, felt by almost all old school gamers, was that one day Trampier would return and bless us all with some new creation, some unseen masterpiece like the days of old, or some conclusion to a Wormy series that was cut off before its conclusion. Hope, now gone, will be buried along with the man so many of us loved beyond his ability to understand, not because he could paint or draw, but because without him hundreds and perhaps thousands of lives might have been different as now life-long gamers might have never reached for that hardcover Player’s Handbook in the first place.

Trampier, for all his mystery, was the bridge, but now he is gone, and a chasm is forever left behind that no one can again traverse in hopes of finding visual adventures beyond our wildest dreams.

From THIS old school PnPer, I say Thank You for sharing your incredible talent with us... your artwork inspired my delve into graphic design in the mid 80s (On a Commodore Amiga using a program called Deluxe Paint) and lives within me today.

TYRS PALADIUM - A Premier Neverwinter Online Guild
    No Drama. Camaraderie. TEAM Focus. That's the TYRS way. If that's your style, come join us!
    Research our Guild here: Read our official Recruitment thread | Sign up here: Tyrs Guild Website! | NEVERWINTER GUILD LEADERS: Join the Fellowship!