test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

some arts from nw.wanmei.com (pw china nw web)

warpetwarpet Member Posts: 1,969 Arc User
edited April 2014 in Art and Fiction
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    For the second article, they seem to be talking about making the transitions from a North American art style to a Chinese art style so the pictures are a contrast of different art. First picture being a concept art made by Cryptic for CW and then second picture concept art for modifying the CW that was done by the Chinese team. Then so on down the line for TR, GF, DC, and GWF.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited February 2014
    It's actually a pretty interesting contrast. The U.S. drawings seem "sharper", while the Chinese ones are softer/more flowing. I wonder why some drawing were of the same character, while others were completely different. Both are quite good, though.
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • helloz2helloz2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 205 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2014
    I had no idea NW was called "Wu Dong Online" in Chinese, sounded like a direct translation which is rather weird yet funny.

And yea, those are really amazing artwork.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • prancerhoodprancerhood Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I can not believe, so many pictures but not the one of Makos, where the hell can one get that one single picture of Makos that exists i s2g
  • dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I can not believe, so many pictures but not the one of Makos, where the hell can one get that one single picture of Makos that exists i s2g

Well most of the art from launch were pictures meant to represent the classes. Makos is a Warlock, so that is why his artwork isn't featured.
    edited April 2014
    dardove wrote: »
    Well most of the art from launch were pictures meant to represent the classes. Makos is a Warlock, so that is why his artwork isn't featured.

Have you any idea where his full picture could be found?
    He's pretty much my favourite character in the game (read: only NPC I care about) so I'd really like to find a full picture of him (the only quality one i found so far was the wiki header, which is cut off)

and wow, I am actually happy to hear he's actually officially (?) a warlock, as someone who doesn't know much about D&D yet (NW was my first look into it) i was wondering literally like 15 minutes ago whether he was something other than a CW due to his lack of an orb + use of a dagger, did some research, concluded a warlock, and now i see i was actually right, i'm happy xD
    edited April 2014
    I have never seen a full picture of him posted.

Along with him using warlock powers ingame, I believe it is also mentioned ingame as well that he is as well.

As for warlocks in general. As opposed to wizards who learn how to cast magic, and sorcerers who are just born with it, warlocks gain it from bargaining with powerful entities and making a pact. These entities could could devils, could be fey or could be something else. Since they are supposedly going with scourge warlock that means it would likely be an infernal pact. If they were going to go with the fey pact, then they would have likely based it on the deceptive warlock build instead of scourge.

Also the dagger is called a pact blade. It is one of the implements warlocks can use. The others being rods and wands. It is unique in the fact that only warlocks use pact blades (though sorcerers can use normal daggers) which is probably why it was chosen for the implement for warlocks in Neverwinter. That leaves wands and rods for use with another arcane class in the future.
    edited April 2014
    I must've missed the in-game mention of his class!

Thank you very much for more info on warlocks, a new D&D enthusiast such as myself appreciates it very much (:
    This whole warlock business sounds pretty dark though, as well as the name 'warlock' is often (outside D&D) used for negative wizards and such, what does that mean for D&D warlocks, can they be generally good people or do they all just have to have a dark side?

I hope you don't mind me asking so much lmao
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited April 2014
    I must've missed the in-game mention of his class!

Thank you very much for more info on warlocks, a new D&D enthusiast such as myself appreciates it very much (:
    This whole warlock business sounds pretty dark though, as well as the name 'warlock' is often (outside D&D) used for negative wizards and such, what does that mean for D&D warlocks, can they be generally good people or do they all just have to have a dark side?

I hope you don't mind me asking so much lmao

Think of it like this - one can gain the ability to cast magic in a few ways in forgotten realms:

1. Rigorous study and discipline
    2. Innate ability
    3. By making a deal with a powerful entity

Option 1 is pretty much what a control wizard is.

We don't really have a representation of option 2, though it could be argued that many of the monsters we fight have magic due to their nature.

Option 3 actually also applies to clerics as well as warlocks - the difference is that clerics get their power from a god-like being, whereas warlocks can get their power from an elemental, demonic entity, powerful fey creature, or one of many other powerful creatures...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
    edited April 2014
    bioshrike wrote: »
    warlocks can get their power from an elemental, demonic entity, powerful fey creature, or one of many other powerful creatures...

Wouldn't than make warlocks inherently chaotic or evil? Unless a honest, good or peaceful person is also capable of turning to demons for power? Why would they though if they could turn to divine beings like clerics.
    Where does that put Makos? Or would tieflings, being demonic by nature, have it differently?