test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Official Feedback Thread: Icewind Pass Adventure Zone

terramakterramak Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 991 Cryptic Developer
Greetings Adventurers!

The questing portion of Icewind Dale is divided into two huge spaces, the first of which is Icewind Pass.

Overview
Between the staggering heights of Kelvin's Cairn and the freezing waters of Lac Dinneshere, there lays a narrow pass linking the Ten-Towns of Icewind Dale with the grinding ice of the Reghed Glacier. The black ice eruptions in the area have driven the wild beasts and barbarians of Icewind Pass into a rage, threatening nearby Caer-Konig!

Icewind Pass contains several areas in which to seek adventure:
  • The Dinneshere Shelf is home to ferocious dire bears, sinister winter wolves, and ravenous yetis! Beneath the ice burrows the greatest predator of them all, the Remorhaz!
  • Galebreak Divide has become the new stalking grounds of the Bear Tribe of Reghed barbarians. Their weapons are enhanced with roughhewn black ice, turning its corrupting power into raw strength!
  • In Biggrin's Rest, beware the Icereaver frost giant clan, gleefully brutal and fiercely territorial. These giants raid, kidnap, and plunder at will, and respect only strength!
  • Finally, the ruined remains of a dwarven citadel have become the area known as Ebonfrost Scree, where agents of the Ten-Towns and the Arcane Brotherhood clash over the rich deposits of black ice there. This is an open PVP area, where you and your friends can do battle over the valuable new resource, black ice!

Work with Grigoi Scrimshander, Gurth Grimstalker, Aelred Windsinger, and Flint Vreesh to tame the savage wilderness and stem the tide of destruction that threatens to wash Caer-Konig away!
Post edited by terramak on

Comments

• terramakterramak Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 991 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2014
    Feedback
    We need feedback to tune the quests in this area to be as fun and rewarding as possible. Below, we provide instructions on how to provide clear and concise feedback. Please follow these instructions, as they will improve our ability to sort and act on your feedback.

Type: Bug/Feedback (Choose only one, and please use bold text)
    Class: (Enter the class that you played as during your testing here, and again, please make this bold)

If you are listing it as a bug, please put your feedback text in RED; if you are listing it as feedback, please use BLUE.

Try to be as concise as you can with your feedback, and if you can include one or two appropriate screenshots with your post, that will be extremely helpful.

Examples:
    Bug: Control Wizard
    I was able to teleport in the south east corner of Dinneshere Shelf and got to a place where I can see broken geometry objects. Here’s a screenshot: [screenshot]

Dire Bears hit way too hard. I got hit three times and was down. It took two of us to complete the "Lost on the Pass" quest.

Special note!
    Adding the location coordinates to your feedback will help us find where issues occur much more quickly. Try using the /loc command to get your in-game location.
    edited March 2014
    Known Issues
    • The borders of the PvP area are currently misrepresented on the minimap. This causes players to become flagged unexpectedly.
    • Lighting the Pass: The southernmost torch (loc 1291 21 -431) requires two Remorhaz Bile, rendering this quest impossible to complete.
    • Lighting the Pass: One of the quest objectives incorrectly appears as though it is inside the PvP area.

Notable Changes
    TBD

FAQ
    Q: Will Open PvP be intrusive or required to progress in the Icewind Dale Campaign?
    • A: Open PvP is not required to complete any Icewind Dale quests aside from ones clearly marked with (PvP) in the title. While all players must choose whether they accept contracts from the Ten-Towns or Arcane Brotherhood representatives, the PvP areas are clearly marked (though currently bugged - see Known Issues above) and, ideally, it should be very difficult to accidentally flag oneself for PvP. Currently, the PvP sections of both Icewind Pass and Dwarven Valley make up about a quarter of each map.

Q: Does PvP give more / better rewards?
    • A: While the rewards are still being balanced, Raw Black Ice drops in the Open PvP areas are currently expected to be slightly more valuable than non-PvP areas. This is expected to balance out due to the unpredictability of player versus player combat, but as with anything, if the values seem incorrect, we're happy to hear feedback.
  • matii1509matii1509 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Bug: PvP area
    PvP area is is badly marked on the map
    Game_Client_2014_03_24_23_29_16_675.jpg
    edited March 2014
    matii1509 wrote: »
    Bug: PvP area
    PvP area is is badly marked on the map
    Game_Client_2014_03_24_23_29_16_675.jpg

Thank you for the report and screenshot!

In your screenshot, are you being incorrectly flagged for PvP in your location? You can also use the /loc command to get your current coordinates.
  • loboguildloboguild Member Posts: 2,371 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Yeah, something is off with the flagging function. Sometimes you get flagged although you are not in the area and on the other hand people run through the open PVP zone and aren't flagged.
  • matii1509matii1509 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Yes, I was flagged for PvP in that location (1392 52 772). PvP area is much larger than it shows on map. Pink (maybe red) thing which represents PvP area should be more visible.

Bug: Quest: Lighting the Pass
    Can't complete quest, I don't have last item (Vial of Remorhaz Bile) to complete quest.
  • deadshadows86deadshadows86 Member Posts: 62 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    The quest Lighting The Pass :
    The Beacon at the most South of the map (loc 1291 21 -431) require 2 Vial of Remorhaz Bile making it impossible to complete (after failing this quest, i've watched each one use only one, but this one, then even activating it last used 1 Vial but didn't make it possible to continue the quest ...)
    edited March 2014
    Flagged for PVP at 1174 28 847, well outside the open PVP area. Actually that's even before the bridge.
  • pitshadepitshade Member Posts: 5,665 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    matii1509 wrote: »
    Yes, I was flagged for PvP in that location (1392 52 772). PvP area is much larger than it shows on map. Pink (maybe red) thing which represents PvP area should be more visible.

Bug: Quest: Lighting the Pass
    Can't complete quest, I don't have last item (Vial of Remorhaz Bile) to complete quest.
    Same for both of these. The red area on the map is much smaller than the actual area you get flagged in. I refused to go into the PVP zone to light the remaining beacons, but my friend did and still couldn't complete the quest. Both of us got flagged, but I'm not sure if that was from her entering the area proper or from me being in the unmarked part when she went in fully - we were grouped up.

Three of the beacons are inside the red PVP zone. While I've done some PVP in the past, and might conceivably do so again, I won't be forced into it. Right now, it looks as if you have to enter the PVP zone to complete the introductory quests. I hope this is not the case as it pretty much kills my interest in the module.

Otherwise, I liked the new enemies. Not crazy about the Heroic Encounter I ran into on ice, but that at least is avoidable. I was able to solo two of the 2-3 people encounters with my 14k GWF, but they were challenging. The 'breadcrumb trail' quest tracker was not very useful. Many times no trail appeared and with all the objectives stacked in the same area, it was a bit of a chore to figure out where to go. I ended up farming the same cave twice due to only finding three.
    "We have always been at war with Dread Vault" ~ Little Brother
  • arcmoon99arcmoon99 Member Posts: 499 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Yeah, confirmed that the actual boundaries for PvP are inaccurate on the map.
    Arc, proud officer of Novus Ordo
    bannernwf_zps00ed5b05.jpg
    New to the game? Check out my build guide to give you an idea on how to set up your characters!
    edited March 2014
    Standing at 1357 39 1551 right now, inside the area. Repeatadly warned about getting flagged, but it never happened.
  • silentraven72silentraven72 Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    This area just wants to force the PVP issue, doesn't it?! If I accept a contract, that automatically puts me at risk for PVP flagging, if I enter the wrong area by accident. Since areas don't seem to be clearly defined, it's happening to a lot of PVE players. I'm not willing to risk it. I'm a PVE player and don't want to be forced into PVP :( No testing for me. And the guy who is supposed to give the artifact quest is nowhere to be found. Or do I need a contract for that, too???!!!
    edited March 2014
    I think the artifact quest isn't enabled yet.
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    pitshade wrote: »
    I think the artifact quest isn't enabled yet.

It's not. /10chr
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • radtatatradtatat Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 201
    edited March 2014
    The PVP marked out area in red in the map indeed does not correspond accurately to the actual PVP area that we get flagged.

From the bottom of the red zone, I got flagged as far south as 1413 61 757 where I can see the glowing edge for the PVP area on the ground. Following the edge upwards anticlockwise, following the path, I am able to get right into the red zone (i.e. location 1303 45 1614)up till 929 80 1903, again following the glowing edge.

1. The number of black ice nodes in PVE map seem few and far in between, and all guarded by mobs (mostly elites I think). I do not know how many nodes there are in PVP area but since the PVE map is pretty big and empty, maybe you can add a few more nodes.

2. The black ice nodes can be gathered only when facing them in a specific direction, will be easier if they can be farmed all around the node.

3. After gathering the black ice from the nodes, loot explosion occurs. I understand this might be used to prevent bots from having an easy time farming, but it is a slight hassle to go running around gathering the black ice for real players too, especially if the node is near the pvp border and the loot 'exploded' into the pvp area.

4. I have explored almost all the PVE area (at least 95%) and only found 1 scrying stone. I hope the others are not in the PVP area....
  • bulletdancerbulletdancer Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    after messing around in icewind dale, i have come to the realzation i will not go there on live! there is absoluty no insentvive to go there when the danger is to great running into pvp by accident, there is too little PVE to make it worth my effort.
    u should have created 2 instances, PVE only, and pvp only. they should not co-exist.
    the map is bugged doesn't show travel gate, or locations but it shows 3 fires only, must be to UN-flag from pvp. the quest tracker is bugged runs you straight into pvp zone. getting flagged for pvp is <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> just because you got too close wanting to explore.
    turned pve into pvp,
    the only thing positive i can say about the game now, is at least the art direction is good.

you have ruined the game for PVe'rs, this may not be "forced" pvp, but it comes **** close! first the reward to pvp is better, the black ice nodes are richer, plus "killing a player drops black ice, so pvp players get there gear faster period like 2 to 3 times faster, heck killing one pvp player netted 700 black ice, a node there netted me 500. yet a node in pve land netted me 375. ok force PVE players to grind 3 times more.
    way to make it feel like PVE players will always be behind those the pvp. nothing sucks more than a GWF or CW geared at 15k run around stomping everthing. gear score inbalances, and class inbalances, and then you throw everything into pvp, God what are you thinking?
    there is no class balance, yet CW since beta have been the dominant class, but you nerf classes that did not NEED nerfs.
    if this is the direction your taking the game, i want my money back, bait and switch is illegal in the state of idaho BTW.
  • bulletdancerbulletdancer Member Posts: 107 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    ya we are not forced into pvp, but we get parts of the map locked out to us if we do not want to participate, we get content locked out, gear locked out, artifacts locked UNLESS we participate.
    ya not forced, just extremely rewarded for it.

the map is glitchy, it seams like the borders move from one logon, to the next. also you can get flagged just being to near the border without even crossing it. and i can look at the map shows i am a ways off from any red, i move 10 feet check again, and the border magically bounces till its right near me.
    i think the map itsself is the problem, does not seam to be acting as intended, and points of interest do not show up all the time, like venders, travel gate. it just shows 3 camp fires.
    there have been times i get flagged and not even know im flagged, just get jumped on by a tr from no where.
    edited March 2014
    radtatat wrote: »
    The PVP marked out area in red in the map indeed does not correspond accurately to the actual PVP area that we get flagged.

From the bottom of the red zone, I got flagged as far south as 1413 61 757 where I can see the glowing edge for the PVP area on the ground. Following the edge upwards anticlockwise, following the path, I am able to get right into the red zone (i.e. location 1303 45 1614)up till 929 80 1903, again following the glowing edge.

Actually the map and minimap are not exactly at the same location has the actual thing, i've got to all Beacon without being flagged as pvp (passing on the bridge dont flag you, but jumping on the edge have maybe flagged me without the edge being seen there) and still being seen in the red pvp zone ...
    It's like the inaccurate position of the map from real location of some others maps, but worst (hotenow was like 50 feets, here its like 500 feets ...)

I think its the size of the map who is more or less 133% of what it is in real (i've got at the invisible wall all around the map and it still look like i'm inside the playing zone but i'm at the border ...
  • cooljinxcooljinx Member Posts: 79 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I tried doing quests on my HR, 13.5k GS with t1 set, and I don't think I will do them again since mobs hit her for a lot - for instance, Dire Bears hit my char for 3k+ per hit. Not to mention how all the overlapping cc attacks are a major PITA for a char with no good cc defense. I understand the mobs might be scaled to the black ice reinforced gear but their damage should get scaled for lower gear too, imho. I'm not sure I'm even interested in that gear so the only point of interest in that zone would be boons.

Edit: Ill repost it in the Enemies thread.
  • ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Played for a few hours last night, tested almost everything Mod 3 has to offer currently. Here is feedback on current Icewind Pass.

BUGs:
    Healing DEpression is currently NOT on the PTR. Tested in both IV PVP and Domination PVP. Players were WAY to hard to kill because of this. This made me realize how much HD was needed! This needs to be fixed.

Black Ice Nodes were really hard to mine. You have to be at a very specific angle and if there are 1 or 2 people next to it, makes it very very hard to do without opening an options menu on them just trying to find the right angle...

The PVP area of the IV map seems to be cut off early. Honestly one of the BIGGEST things you guys can do is expand this to go as far as the map indicates. I would STRONGLY STRONGLY encourage you to expand that out because it was very disappointing and shallow. I was really excited at first at the size of the map, until I realized it was cut short there, after that, didnt have much incentive to pvp there, just finish the quests (major turn off to me)

Please for the love of God turn off companions in pvp!!! After doing the quests, I dont even thing they are needed for most of the pvp content, however I can see how people would want them, so figure out a way to disable them once flagged for pvp.

People are complaining about accidentally getting flagged for pvp... Make the "red wall" outlining the pvp area slightly bigger. I had NO issues with this and actually TRIED to get flagged because there was a large battle going on, only to realize I hadnt even gone far enough yet, stepped inside the red wall for 2 seconds and was flagged.
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited March 2014

if there is a way to tell that you're flagged for pvp other than the warning that you get before you are, it doesn't seem to be obvious enough. perhaps a heavy red line around your faction icon or something obvious so that i can see and tell that i am able to be trounced upon by the other faction.
  • adinosiiadinosii Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,294 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    I have no objections to PvP players getting specific rewards, but I am pretty much a pure PvE player, and I do not like being forced into PvP when I am just trying to do some PvE quests.

This needs fixing.
    Hoping for improvements...
  • dardovedardove Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    melodywhr wrote: »

if there is a way to tell that you're flagged for pvp other than the warning that you get before you are, it doesn't seem to be obvious enough. perhaps a heavy red line around your faction icon or something obvious so that i can see and tell that i am able to be trounced upon by the other faction.

There is a way. Your faction icon is white if pvp isn't enabled, and blue if it is.
  • kshoksho Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 85
    edited March 2014
    adinosii wrote: »
    I have no objections to PvP players getting specific rewards, but I am pretty much a pure PvE player, and I do not like being forced into PvP when I am just trying to do some PvE quests.

This needs fixing.

Definittely, one of the daily bring you to pvp zone to light the beacons and there was grp of pvp nerds who stop SLL from light that beacons.....already a heaven for griefers and this is NO PVP.
    edited March 2014
    ksho wrote: »
    Definittely, one of the daily bring you to pvp zone to light the beacons and there was grp of pvp nerds who stop SLL from light that beacons.....already a heaven for griefers and this is NO PVP.

If you pass by the bridge, you can not be flagged as pvp ... but this quest is bugged anyway ...
  • l3g10nna1rel3g10nna1re Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 372 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    Can we please get a Hot fix for the Lighting the Pass quest so we can do more than heroic encounters please, seems rather odd the main 3 quests weren't checked prior to the preview build going live
    edited March 2014
    Can we please get a Hot fix for the Lighting the Pass quest so we can do more than heroic encounters please, seems rather odd the main 3 quests weren't checked prior to the preview build going live

Can't you break contract, switch to the Arcane Brotherhood and progress that way? Disband the quest and take another from their side.
    edited March 2014
    Moving past the quest and PVP related things more appropriate for other threads, I have to say that I like the look of this zone. Frankly, I'm very pleased that unlike a certain single player RPG with similiar terrain, the mountains aren't impossible barriers but are actually traversable. This is a welcome change from many of the leveling maps and the two previous module maps which were subdivided with walls and chasms. It has a really nice open feel and apart from the bugged breadcrumb trails I didn't feel like I was moving through a dungeon but actually going across real terrain. So kudos for the lack of artificial obstacles and the visuals are very nice.

The new mobs, especially the bears and yetis are very nice looking and welcome additions.
  • ayrouxayroux Member Posts: 4,271 Arc User
    edited March 2014
    In my opnion, EVERY zone should have been like this, pvp enabled only if you go INTO the "pvp zone" which would then allow zone pvp. This would have made the game MUCH more fun during leveling and early on when players wanted to set up 1v1s and what not... If you guys ever have spare time, Consider going back and adding these "pvp areas" into existing zones

Invisible wall in the "PVP zone" that wont let you into the back 2/3rds of the map. In the Below SS you can see the invisible walls that I ran next to outlining the actual game map available. Clearly there is "red" area that is supposed to be pvp flagged that we cannot access... I hope this gets changed.

Also, I want to point out the lower "blue" quest area that on the map DOES NOT flag you for pvp, well running as far to the left as I could in that blue area still flagged me for pvp....

SS1_zpse8efdbcb.jpg
    edited March 2014
    Thanks a ton for all the feedback and bug reports, folks! I'll continue to keep an eye on the thread, and hope to get fixes to some of these in ASAP. :)