test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Why does this game allow you to delete mail with attachments?!

bobbyk45238bobbyk45238 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 33
edited January 2014 in General Discussion (PC)
Here we are, many months into the game that is clearly out of Beta, and they still have a mail system that allows you to delete mail with attachments! This needs to be fixed so mail with attachments is absolutely undeletable!

I was going through my mail and taking the AD from my auctions, when suddenly, right after I took the 41k AD from the first mail and am about to hit delete, an item must have sold and it pops that mail up with the attachment of AD right when I hit the delete button and poof, there goes the other 41k AD from the item I just sold!

I have filed a support ticket, but I had a problem with something of this nature in the past and they replied that they had no way of retrieving the mail, so I guess I am out of the 41k AD.

I have never played an mmo that lets you delete mail with attachments EVER. Please fix it so mail can not be deleted with attachments! How absurd!
Post edited by bobbyk45238 on

Comments

• snottysnotty Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 476 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    maybe im wrong but doesn't it ask you to confirm before you can delete mail that have attachments? If so then you obviously didn't pay attention. If not then my best suggestion is to slow down a tad when clearing out your mailbox. I've been playing since the game was released from beta and have never deleted any mail with attachments.
  • barbotineqcbarbotineqc Member Posts: 23 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Well actually a lot of games let you delete mails with attachment. And they're just asking "are you sure" after you hit delete so you have to hit a "yes" button also.
  • bobbyk45238bobbyk45238 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 33
    edited January 2014
    Just to clarify exactly what happened, I had just taken the AD from the mail that was open, I hit delete once, then as I was hitting confirm, something else on auction sold and overrode the mail I had open and I caught a millisecond glimpse of my sold item and AD attached going bye bye.

Test it out. Go open a mail and have a friend buy something on the auction house if you don't believe me.
  • bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    TBH, the ideal solution would be to have a trash folder - when you delete a message, even after you confirm it, place said message into the trash folder for 24-72 hrs. We have a buy-back feature from vendors, so a way to undelete emails seems logical as well...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • stercogburnstercogburn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 214 Bounty Hunter
    edited January 2014
    The big warning in red I think is adequate for all except the hard of thinking.

However, I'd like to have a button that allows you to return mail with attachments to sender.
    Roo. Cleric. Mad as a bag of badgers, will heal for beer.

Ancient Shadows: Mature. Sensible. Custard.
    Recruitment info at: http://nw-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?462591-Ancient-Shadows-Become-a-Lion-Tamer-without-learning-Chartered-Accountancy-first!&highlight=ancient+shadows
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Why didn't you enter a Bug Report in the forums?

...or at least sign/bump one of these (looks like it's been around 6 months now):

07-07-2013 Mailbox bug- deleted the wrong mail due to timing of new mail arriving
    10-13-2013 Mailbox Bug (Big Problem With AH)
    12-23-2013 Unselected Mail Being Deleted

It could never get fixed -- so learn to deal with it.

Someone suggested in one of those threads to make two passes thru the mailbox.
    1st pass - take all attachments
    close, re-open mail
    2nd pass - delete each mail - stopping if you get any delete verification prompts.

My suggestion: Delete by oldest...
    I know something I usually do is go to the very last e-mail (i.e. oldest) and select it
    then delete and let it auto-select the next oldest until I am down to a handful of
    e-mails and I can slow down and see if any "new" ones have shown up at the top
    (i.e. newest).
  • nameexpirednameexpired Member Posts: 1,282 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    Why does this happen anyway?
    Because of a way back implementation of the mail system, where you can only ever manipulate one item at a time.

What about multi-select?
    have more than 1 item selected (they invented the <SHIFT> and the <CTRL> key already!) and press "collect attachments"
    Have more than 1 item selected and press "delete" to delete all 20 selected messages

Oh ... not working?
    Bugger ... and this is actually 2014?
    Imaginary Friends are the best friends you can have!
  • beckylunaticbeckylunatic Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 14,231 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    snotty wrote: »
    maybe im wrong but doesn't it ask you to confirm before you can delete mail that have attachments? If so then you obviously didn't pay attention. If not then my best suggestion is to slow down a tad when clearing out your mailbox. I've been playing since the game was released from beta and have never deleted any mail with attachments.

Nope, if you confirm deletion of the uppermost message in your mailbox at the exact same moment as a message arrives, then the incoming message will be deleted instead of the one you had selected. No second chances.

The only way to absolutely avoid this is to keep a buffer message at the top of the box with nothing attached. Only delete below the buffer.
    Guild Leader - The Lords of Light

Neverwinter Census 2017

All posts pending disapproval by Cecilia
  • fondlezfondlez Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited January 2014
    snotty wrote: »
    I've been playing since the game was released from beta and have never deleted any mail with attachments.

So have I. But that does not change the fact that this is an incredibly stupid bug, though oddly enough I've seen worse in an another huge mainstream game during its beta where you could select a character to delete, then a confirmation message pops up over the character selection area in what appears to be a required dialog box, but you could still move through characters underneath the dialog box with keys or mouse... guess which character gets deleted, certainly not the one you originally selected for deletion!

This is a similar bug. They are not picking up or using the unique ID for that specific mail you select to be deleted, instead it just picks up the topmost one, as far as you are concerned effectively a random one. So, if your mail is ordered so that new mails arrives at the top at the time (an unsurprisingly common sorting), you end up being an unexpected participant in the Neverwinter Russian Roulette Mail mini-game!
  • bobbyk45238bobbyk45238 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 33
    edited January 2014
    eldarth wrote: »
    Why didn't you enter a Bug Report in the forums?

It could never get fixed -- so learn to deal with it.

The things that some of you say never cease to amaze me.

Who are you, their head programmer?

Anyways, it can be fixed but either they don't care or don't want to. Next time I think about pulling out my credit card, I'll remember this.

If they at least reimburse the 41k AD I lost due to this "bug", I will be ok, but will have to remember that their is a trick to using the mail system so you don't delete your goodies.