test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Development Time

kudzilkudzil Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 29 Arc User
edited December 2013 in General Discussion (PC)
I'm being honestly sincere in my comments here. Why is this game taking so long to develop content? I left because I got bored. I came back to see if things had improved and the game is basically the same 4-5 months later.

There is no real new content for any levels. No new pvp arenas I've seen yet. I don't see any new dungeons or skirmishes of interest.

I simply can't spend any more money to help them develop this game when I know it can't hold my interest. I played another free MMO before this one and they had content flying out all the time plus other interesting stuff. I liked this game but it just isn't enough.

I hope my comments will be seen as constructive and not complaining. I spent as much money on this game when I was playing it all the time as I would have for a pay to play MMO. I know many others did as well and that's why I don't understand the lack of depth in both features and content.
Post edited by kudzil on

Comments

• Options
    velmaxvelmax Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    The First module which came out 8/22/13 brought

the Sharandar Campaign
    the Malabog's Castle dungeon
    the Master of the Hunt skirmish
    the Drow, Moon Elf and Sun Elf races
    the boon system

Module 2 which comes out 12/5/13 brings

Hunter Ranger class
    Dread Ring adventure zone
    Dread Ring Campaign
    Dread Legion skirmish
    Valindra's Tower dungeon
    Artifacts
    Collections
    Sword Coast Adventures
    new Paragon Paths
    Active Bonuses from active companions
    replacement of the enchantment fusion system with a refinement system

IDK about u, but I'm seeing the content.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    3-4 months between updates... that seems very reasonable to me. Also take into account that that does *not* include the smaller seasonal event...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    edited November 2013
    Thank you. I've seen all that (what's available to me anyway). I don't feel I can be as forthright as I'd like about all that because if I am too constructive it won't be taken earnestly. Let's just say I disagree.

If you're satisfied (and a paying customer) then maybe it's just me and my money that have a difference of opinion.

I'd like to give a strong accounting of what is "off" for me because I think its good for companies to hear clearly what their customer's think. In this case however I'd rather put forth a polite opinion (even if it is refuted) that may be heard instead of a strong opinion that will definitely be ignored.

That's sort of the whole problem. If I am polite and say a few things it is simply that I'm uniformed and a silly user. If I'm strong in my critique I will be relegated to the basement as a bad apple...

Its almost an "emperor has no clothes" scenario.
  • Options
    bladenite81bladenite81 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Its not really complaining, honestly sounds like the content they have you dont want. The only real bit you put out is about PvP, so I am going to guess that you would like much more pvp content for your wallet. Well, this isnt a pvp centric game and that is not in their opinion what makes them money so it may just not be the game for you.
  • Options
    knightfalzknightfalz Member Posts: 1,261 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    kudzil wrote: »
    That's sort of the whole problem. If I am polite and say a few things it is simply that I'm uniformed and a silly user. If I'm strong in my critique I will be relegated to the basement as a bad apple...

You can put forward strong critique so long as you are civil. Being strong doesn't prevent you from being polite. The thing that would cause you to be mostly ignored I suspect, other than moderator attention, would be threatening to leave.

Your critique would probably be especially well received if you had suggestions for improvements for the things you think should be better, rather than simply listing off the things you are dissatisfied with.

If it is a lack of PvP options that is your main concern, I don't know when or if changes will come there. I don't PvP myself, but I wouldn't mind a module being released that focused on PvP, as I know many do enjoy it and would more so with more PvP content. The rest of the PvE crowd may not be too keen on it though.
  • Options
    godlysoul1godlysoul1 Member Posts: 293 Bounty Hunter
    edited November 2013
    I really wish they would start adding more pvp content. Thankfully we may get to see a little more variety in pvp with a new class and new feat paths. I am excited about the implications of artifacts for pvp though :D Other than that though, the content progression is happening at a very reasonable pace in my opinion.
  • Options
    imsmithyimsmithy Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    They could fix the entire PvP issue with this game by releasing a patch that opens up PvP for foundry authors , not only would that placate most of the games current pvp crowd but could potentially draw in a lot of new players from other games .
  • Options
    melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    i don't know what MMOs you've been playing but new and free module releases every 3-4 months is pretty prolific. however there are players that tend to blow through content and get bored and there are others that enjoy the social aspects of MMOs, are active in guilds, run dungeons because they're fun, level new characters for the experience of playing new classes, level up professions, play the market and do the daily grinds with friends. some people like the idea of earning some of the premium items in-game over time. the point is, you can't please everyone.
  • Options
    ckotoc666ckotoc666 Member Posts: 63 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I have played many f2p mmos too and NWO is the best imo.None of the other games release new content every few months or give for free fashion items,companions and mounts with events.
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    Fair enough.

Content is put out but it is flat, one dimensional content.

I play both PVP and PVE equally and enjoy both.

How hard is it to create one more (or 5) pvp arenas to choose from?

Sharandar is ok but timed to keep the simple content from being explored in a very quick amount of time. The character improvements are nice and if Gauntlegrym had been at least something like this I'd be less disappointed.

After waiting for Sharandar and my kit I bought to go with it I was pretty disappointed in both the look of my mount and the extras given to me for 80 bucks.

"Master of the Hunt" c'mon it's fine for an occasion but that's it.

Finally they made PVP more even (stupid GWF was a horror for a long time there). So this is not a complaint.

Perhaps put more real full blown dungeons in each area and have to fight all the way to them. More purple weapons that look cool with variations on the abilities. Have a contest if you need to with the foundry authors and give them some ability to really script... choose from these higher grade dungeons on which to use.

Stop with the coinage that goes nowhere... unify.

Why is it so hard to get decent customizable clothing?

Gauntlegrymn is the 1st big new content out and its simply a big map with some "make busy" stuff to do in order to run a dungeon. One of the dungeons is just a fly through and the other is hard as hades taking an hour to complete with no significant difference of reward. The content is flat and tasteless. It feels as though I've been given a really simple addition for the sake of having "something/anything" new. It's not content it's a stall tactic.

I want real, creative, imaginative, interesting stuff to do. I want content driven to make players enjoy and work together. No dungeons in Gaunt that can be circumnavigated so people just act like animals...etc
    ;
  • Options
    rosicrucianistrosicrucianist Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    I've been very disappointed with the lack of PvP support. The only think we have seen since May was Gauntlegrym, which is not exactly what I was expecting. When are new maps, and match types (more than just capture and hold), coming into the game? I would think that each match should include some PvP content, but this patch doesn't seem to have any, not even new gear.
  • Options
    bioshrikebioshrike Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 4,729 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    IMO, PvP needs an overhaul. The first step that needs to be taken is to allow powers to be adjusted separately for PvP and PvE. Then, there needs to be some sort of tiering system, so those new or less experienced with PvP don't come in and get trounced by maxed out/BiS veteran PvPers. Lastly, matchmaking and anti-bot measures need to be improved. Once all that is out of the way, then yes, introduce new maps and PvP scenarios...
    <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::::)xxxo <::::::::::::)xxxxxxxx(:::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::> oxxx(::::::::::::::>
    "Is it better to be feared or respected? I say, is it too much to ask for both?" -Tony Stark
    Official NW_Legit_Community Forums
  • Options
    amunrak29amunrak29 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    100% agree with the topic creator.
    pvp and pve needs very basic improvements.
  • Options
    bladenite81bladenite81 Member, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    yeah..but he isnt asking for basic pve improvements. He is asking for entirely new, long and repeatable dungeons and skirmishes..basically something like wow puts out once every 1-2 years but every 3 months instead with a crew on a ftp salary. It just isnt going to happen.
  • Options
    nurmoodnurmood Member Posts: 342 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    No dungeons in Gaunt that can be circumnavigated so people just act like animals...etc
    ;

agree - but thats human nature too. The bug users / inventors + the people who rush through the content generate a general drift towards not enjoying the content besides the possibility to do it.

Why should somebody do a dungeon properly if anybody else is getting x4 the stuff during the time you do it legitly? I mean they could (I could) just ingore it - but thats human nature...
  • Options
    edited December 2013
    yeah..but he isnt asking for basic pve improvements. He is asking for entirely new, long and repeatable dungeons and skirmishes..basically something like wow puts out once every 1-2 years but every 3 months instead with a crew on a ftp salary. It just isnt going to happen.

This isn't entirely what I meant. I simply meant "move in the right direction".

I am not privvy to the size of the team nor the revenue numbers. I know you need a team for the "maintenance/hardware" issues and probably a couple good teams for content(one to do fixes and another to do new stuff). That would be a bare minimum. In that case you likely wouldn't get much done so you better choose how to use resources wisely.

How hard is it to put up a few extra walls to stop users from circumnavigating content?

Making a new PVP arena would take very little time. Look at what a foundary user can do with limited resources.

Make 1 new dungeon at a time. Charge a 1 time fee for entrance to a new dungeon sort of like lockboxes. Or as I said before get foundary users to compete to build a dungeon or two with more scripting available. Don't use them unless they're good.

I don't really know the scenario with Neverwinter. I believe the game was pre-built and sold mostly as you see it by a decent crew. The new owners are trying to figure out how to implement it, having a few problems with the learning curve which is normal and trying to figure out how to grow the game while making revenue. When they had 2 million users I saw a lot of folks spending money on stuff (me included). Much more than I would spend on WOW for the same amount of time.

To retain users there should be enough for a decent dev team. If you chase that initial investment too quickly its likely all you'll do is break even over time. Long term investment and more spending is how you keep users and gain steady income over time. Its a balancing act but its what was signed up for when they made the purchase.

If you want to compare to another MMO that's free and puts out content take a look at AOC. It's got more content than I could complete (I was playing it shortly after it came out) and a large portion of it for high level. They put out new stuff quite often and have interesting twists to gameplay. It's not a perfect game but a free MMO can do more than you give credit for.

Who knows maybe I'm nuts. Maybe its all impossible but if that's the case it can't hold my attention and I bet that's true for many others as well.
  • Options
    imsmithyimsmithy Member Posts: 1,378 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Three things they could add that would open up PvP in Neverwinter and in all likelihood actually attract players to the game would be -

1) 1v1 duels outside of pvp matches , personally I never understood why people feel the need to go about challenging randoms to duels but apparently lots of other players enjoy this kind of thing.

2) Make a new pvp mode , deathmatch , last man standing , capture the flag etc etc.

3) Enable foundry authors to create pvp maps , maybe put one or two people from the development team in charge of liaising with the pvp and foundry community with regards of setting up tourneys and league tables and also possible reward tables for competing since its probable that the dev team wouldn't give the foundry authors the ability to give out epic gear and companions or whatever as rewards so the dev team could be in charge of stuff like that.
  • Options
    sweatapodimassweatapodimas Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    Fair enough.

Content is put out but it is flat, one dimensional content.

I play both PVP and PVE equally and enjoy both.

How hard is it to create one more (or 5) pvp arenas to choose from?

Sharandar is ok but timed to keep the simple content from being explored in a very quick amount of time. The character improvements are nice and if Gauntlegrym had been at least something like this I'd be less disappointed.

After waiting for Sharandar and my kit I bought to go with it I was pretty disappointed in both the look of my mount and the extras given to me for 80 bucks.

"Master of the Hunt" c'mon it's fine for an occasion but that's it.

Finally they made PVP more even (stupid GWF was a horror for a long time there). So this is not a complaint.

Perhaps put more real full blown dungeons in each area and have to fight all the way to them. More purple weapons that look cool with variations on the abilities. Have a contest if you need to with the foundry authors and give them some ability to really script... choose from these higher grade dungeons on which to use.

Stop with the coinage that goes nowhere... unify.

Why is it so hard to get decent customizable clothing?

Gauntlegrymn is the 1st big new content out and its simply a big map with some "make busy" stuff to do in order to run a dungeon. One of the dungeons is just a fly through and the other is hard as hades taking an hour to complete with no significant difference of reward. The content is flat and tasteless. It feels as though I've been given a really simple addition for the sake of having "something/anything" new. It's not content it's a stall tactic.

I want real, creative, imaginative, interesting stuff to do. I want content driven to make players enjoy and work together. No dungeons in Gaunt that can be circumnavigated so people just act like animals...etc
    ;

I completely agree that pvp needs more maps and possibly more variation in the type of match (i.e. something besides domination). Maybe add rankings, tiering, etc...

I also agree that the foundry authors need more content and the ability to do their own voice-overs, etc...

I believe it was mentioned that pvp was getting a heavy look for the next module release (another 3-4 months?).
    "Jazz isn't dead, it just smells funny" - Frank Zappa
  • Options
    sweatapodimassweatapodimas Member Posts: 257 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    imsmithy wrote: »
    3) Enable foundry authors to create pvp maps , maybe put one or two people from the development team in charge of liaising with the pvp and foundry community with regards of setting up tourneys and league tables and also possible reward tables for competing since its probable that the dev team wouldn't give the foundry authors the ability to give out epic gear and companions or whatever as rewards so the dev team could be in charge of stuff like that.

Great idea about the Foundry authors allowed to create maps.
    "Jazz isn't dead, it just smells funny" - Frank Zappa
  • Options
    spellwardenspellwarden Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 357 Bounty Hunter
    edited December 2013
    I wholeheartedly disagree. When I played this game (had time for it) one of my guild-mates made the most insightful comment I have heard: PvP should not be a part of MMO.

I would love to see Neverwinter completely drop the whole PvP enterprise, and I will list the reasons

<Edit>

I decided to start a new thread, so as to increase exposure for the sake of gageing the communities reactions. Maby even jogging some creativity and expansion of this opinion.