test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

D&D 3D model from official concept art Rust Monster

apocrs1980apocrs1980 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
edited December 2013 in Art and Fiction

Hey everyone,

Apoc here, and since I haven't released any new foundries in a while I figured I would drop in and share what I am working on at the moment.
Total time spent on the project so far has been less than a day :)... much faster than building a foundry mission LOL!
It's a Rust Monster! :D

below is the unfinished sculpt and to the right of that the Wizards of the Coast concept art.
after the model is finished it will be colored in high detail, optimized, and rigged for animation.

Now... if there was only some way to get it into Neverwinter Online...

3dartcomparison_zpsc746d96b.jpg
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
The Cragsteep Crypt - BETA
Ravenloft
Look for@Apocrs1980 or visit the main page here or Ravenloft here
Post edited by apocrs1980 on

Comments

• eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    apocrs1980 wrote: »
    Now... if there was only some way to get it into Neverwinter Online...

Apparently you missed noticing that the new Module 2 Rusted Iron Lockbox has a Rust Monster Companion.
  • apocrs1980apocrs1980 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    eldarth wrote: »
    Apparently you missed noticing that the new Module 2 Rusted Iron Lockbox has a Rust Monster Companion.

Ahh yes, but that is a companion, I'm referring to having a new foundry costume to play with ^.^
    just as a side note...wouldn't a Rust Monster eat it's way out of a rusted lockbox?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ravenloft
  • colonelwingcolonelwing Member Posts: 1,448 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    3dartcomparison_zpsc746d96b.jpg

The monster reminds me, of the silt striders from Morrowind. Nicely done.

• mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited November 2013

Now... if there was only some way to get it into Neverwinter Online.
    Neverwinter Online will take user made models, wel probably never. On the other hand you could get it into Neverwinter Nights 1/2 today. In fact one already exists and is animated and scripted with proper rusting abilities, so this could be an alternate model.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
  • apocrs1980apocrs1980 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    On the other hand you could get it into Neverwinter Nights 1/2 today. In fact one already exists and is animated and scripted with proper rusting abilities, so this could be an alternate model.

I never thought about that, good idea. Plus it may be a nice challenge to optimize this mesh down to 25000 polys and retain the high resolution texturing. Model is almost finished just have the tail and underbelly, then doing all the fine details at a sub level 4-5. I think the fun part will be coloring it, always awesome to see your models come to life.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ravenloft
  • syka08syka08 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited November 2013
    Ahh yes, but that is a companion, I'm referring to having a new foundry costume to play with ^.^
    just as a side note...wouldn't a Rust Monster eat it's way out of a rusted lockbox?

Pssssht. Logic.
    contents to be decided
    edited November 2013
    syka08 wrote: »
    Pssssht. Logic.

I know right? I can hear the game designers now... " I reject your logic and substitute my own!" Besides what's it doing in a video game anyhow... get that out of here! :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ravenloft
    edited December 2013
    Figured I'd share an update, he's almost done being sculpted, then on to color!

RM_Project_2_zpsdc2933b8.jpg

Cheers!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ravenloft
  • jintortlejintortle Member Posts: 655 Arc User
    edited December 2013

Since it probably created the Rust, it seems to me that opening the Rusted Lockbox might be removing the creature form its home!!!

Great model by the way -Terrific!!
    Genus Draco Fad and the Muster@Jintortle
    ID: NW-DD5FLOBTJ
    Cult of the Dragon Foundry Contest - Please participate and vote for your favourite - 26/6/2014 contest rating begins.

Sir Camps A Lot. Mr SlingShot Boom. XX Phantasmagorical. Jinn Dragonfeast.
    SlingShot Boom Jr. Jocan Traders. Little Lord Forgatty, Dwarf Mean and introducing Necro Torquemada (The Warlock)
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    i'm not 100% on this but eldarth might be... isn't the pseudodragon in the foundry? i think other companions are in there as well... i wonder why some are and some aren't...

i saw the rust monster companion in PE on preview today... good stuff.
  • kithliskithlis Member Posts: 217 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »
    i'm not 100% on this but eldarth might be... isn't the pseudodragon in the foundry? i think other companions are in there as well... i wonder why some are and some aren't...

i saw the rust monster companion in PE on preview today... good stuff.

I don't think any companion model that has been added to the game after launch has been added to the foundry. No sprites, no leprechauns, no pseudodragons :(

I have a thread going in the foundry forums of content we can see but don't have in the foundry... guess I'll be adding Rust Monster to the list on Thursday...

Awesome modeling, btw, Apoc!
  • melodywhrmelodywhr Member Posts: 4,220 Arc User
    edited December 2013
    kithlis wrote: »
    I don't think any companion model that has been added to the game after launch has been added to the foundry. No sprites, no leprechauns, no pseudodragons :(

I have a thread going in the foundry forums of content we can see but don't have in the foundry... guess I'll be adding Rust Monster to the list on Thursday...

Awesome modeling, btw, Apoc!

i think we need to ask a bit LOUDER. ;)
    edited December 2013
    melodywhr wrote: »
    i think we need to ask a bit LOUDER. ;)

Where did I put my mega phone?
    Thanks for the kudos guys! :)
    You know, I would work for free making extra models, art, and maps, if only to prove my worth and add much needed content to the foundry to keep Neverwinter alive.
    BTW model is finished just doing some retopology to get the base mesh optimized then coloring it.
    And then...I will not know what to do with it, I guess I could take some bird's eye view pics and make it into a creature token for roll 20 :P.

Just kind of an odd question, does anyone know what the ploy count limit is on the monsters in Neverwinter?
    It would be nice to challenge myself to keep the models at a certain threshold.
    I did some research and some people were saying most next gen pc games kept the limits to 10K polys per model.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ravenloft
    edited December 2013
    Hey all just wanted to show a quick update on the progress I have been making,

Rust Monster
    Rustmonster_zpsb83aa68b.jpg

The entire model from top to bottom is comprised of only 5045 polys, so he runs very well in other programs.
    For right now I'm focusing on the Carapace design, Considering that the Rust Monster is some what insect inspired and eats metal, I came up with a concept that is a cross between a grasshopper's carapace and a crab's shell.

I think it translates well as the tiny parts of the carapace that imitate that of the calcium build up in a crab shell are instead used to show metallic deposits in it's place.

All coloring of the Monster is by freehand with only a few alphas I mad in PS, He is starting to come to life and at this stage can't wait till he is done and animated.

Thoughts?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Ravenloft