test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

"Royal Crypt - Room with Catwalks" makes me wanna quit this game!

meldan3nmeldan3n Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited November 2013 in The Foundry
I just spent over 15 hours on preparing this map, putting quests in there, connecting everything to other maps, creating the costumes... just to find out that you can't put characters/encounters on 50 % of the map (the "catwalks", the stairs, the stair areas left and right).

I put all the characters on them and everything works great, unfortunately it gives me 45 "tasks". All the stairs, as I mentioned before, and 50 % of the PERFECTLY WORKING map are recognized as "invalid areas". So yeah... here I am, with a great foundry I've been working on for at least 60 - 80 hours now... not able to publish it, because of bugs!

By the way, this is the same map that is used in CN. And everything seems to work fine there (on that map in CN, not in CN in general).

I am definitely not spending another 15 hours on preparing another map, putting everything in place, etc. This map fits my foundry perfectly... I cannot imagine another one that would fit. Maybe someone has an amazing advice for me how I could get it to work. If not, I don't know if I can recover from that. :mad:
Post edited by meldan3n on

Comments

• phoeniciansonphoenicianson Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I had the same issue when building my quest, The Dark Secret at Highgate. One thing I did not try because the 3D editing was pre-Feywild Update, was to create a One-Way Patrol and try to end that patrol on the catwalks below the main floor.

Give that a shot, although, there is no guarantee. I assume, theoretically, it would work, but you should test one before setting them all to avoid unnecessary editing time if the theory fails in application.
  • meldan3nmeldan3n Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    I tried it, but it is the same as with encounters. The patrol flag cannot be placed there. It can be in Edit Mode, and it works perfectly fine, but then it becomes a "task".
  • mrgiggles651mrgiggles651 Member Posts: 790 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Its been that way since Foundry beta. I know, because I filed a bug report and made a thread on it.
    I wasted five million AD promoting the Foundry.
  • crypticmapoliscrypticmapolis Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 240 Cryptic Developer
    edited October 2013
    Just sent in a fix for this. Not sure if I can get it in the current live game, but module 2 will definitely have the fix.
  • reiwulfreiwulf Member Posts: 2,687 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Wow, thanks a lot! I never noticed this problem, but I'm glad things are being fixed :D
    2e2qwj6.jpg
  • imaginaerum1imaginaerum1 Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 378 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    The other problem with that particular room is that if you drop down into the fog below the catwalks, you don't die. You land ON TOP of the fog, and can walk around on it, staring up at the place where you should be with no way to get back to it...

Dropping into the fog should be death. Alas.
  • eldartheldarth Member Posts: 4,494 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Just sent in a fix for this. Not sure if I can get it in the current live game, but module 2 will definitely have the fix.

What about all the invalid placement zones in the Tower District maps?!?
    I had to build my Gruumsh's Tower of Conquest IN FRONT OF and AROUND the Guild Hall!?!
    Annoying! Very edges of the map I can see but all these invalid places IN THE MIDDLE?
    I spent hours and hours figuring out how to build a tunnel beneath the invalid areas in the map!

And what about teleporters whose "connecting line" crosses invalid areas?
    edited October 2013
    The other problem with that particular room is that if you drop down into the fog below the catwalks, you don't die. You land ON TOP of the fog, and can walk around on it, staring up at the place where you should be with no way to get back to it...

I just "flicked" the whole room with invisible walls, so that a player simply cannot fall down. This is definitely one of the best rooms available! If there wasn't the "invalid area" thing, some really great stuff would be possible there. I will still be using it for my quest, but the fact that there are no foes on the "catwalks" makes it a pile of sh*t in my foundry.

Thanks! Will it be fixed automatically in all foundries that use this map? Or will you just add another working version of it?
    edited October 2013
    meldan3n wrote: »
    Will it be fixed automatically in all foundries that use this map? Or will you just add another working version of it?

Based on every previous foundry map change, it'll affect the existing foundry maps.

Edit: Oh...and welcome to "why can't I place that there?" hell.

Edit2: You can place objects that "intrude" into the no-placement areas -- it's only the anchor point that cannot be placed there. So if you have something where an anchor point is on a side, or end, or the object is large enough, it can intrude on or cross over/under the no-pacement-zone.
  • crypticmapoliscrypticmapolis Member, NW_CrypticDev, Cryptic Developer Posts: 240 Cryptic Developer
    edited October 2013
    eldarth wrote: »
    What about all the invalid placement zones in the Tower District maps?!?
    I had to build my Gruumsh's Tower of Conquest IN FRONT OF and AROUND the Guild Hall!?!
    Annoying! Very edges of the map I can see but all these invalid places IN THE MIDDLE?
    I spent hours and hours figuring out how to build a tunnel beneath the invalid areas in the map!

And what about teleporters whose "connecting line" crosses invalid areas?

I'm sorry about your troubles. That map did indeed have lots of placement holes in it. I think I found them all and got them patched up, so module 2 will have that fix. I also let our lead Foundry programmer know about the teleporter connecting line issue.

This is now fixed for module 2 as well.
    Thanks! Will it be fixed automatically in all foundries that use this map? Or will you just add another working version of it?

Since the room was clearly broken, I made the fix to the original. All this means is you will now be able to place NPCs in spots in that room that you couldn't before.
    edited October 2013

I think I just wet myself. Here's hoping we get a great Module 2 launch with no (major) side effects.
    ...and hoping I can prune some of those bugs off my watch-list.

Are we there yet?
    Are we there yet?
    Are we there yet?
    Are we there yet?
    edited October 2013
    Since the room was clearly broken, I made the fix to the original. All this means is you will now be able to place NPCs in spots in that room that you couldn't before.

I see that you have fixed a lot... but not the room.
    It has a quest trail now... but this is the only fix. You can put NPCs and encounters on the catwalks now, but it still gives you tasks without showing it on the map. So basically the same thing happened to me again. I tested it: Wow, i can put them in there now... just to find out that I had 105 tasks when i tried to publish. It is the same, except it doesn't warn you any more that you're getting tasks. Please fix it! This is a great map! Please! I really need it! :D
    edited November 2013
    I see that you have fixed a lot... but not the room.
    It has a quest trail now... but this is the only fix. You can put NPCs and encounters on the catwalks now, but it still gives you tasks without showing it on the map. So basically the same thing happened to me again. I tested it: Wow, i can put them in there now... just to find out that I had 105 tasks when i tried to publish. It is the same, except it doesn't warn you any more that you're getting tasks. Please fix it! This is a great map! Please! I really need it! :D

The fix isn't on the live server yet. It's slated to be included in the next big update (module 2). When the fix is on the Preview shard I'll let you guys know :)
    edited November 2013
    Ah, misunderstanding then. Sounded like it was already live.