test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Mount Hotenew Caldera quests

highonwaterhighonwater Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
edited October 2013 in Bug Reports (PC)
So I'm level 57 and I'm in the Mount Hotenow Caldera. I am currently doing the missions Watching it Burn and The Fire Lords. I'm supposed to place 3 scrying spheres and kill 3 fire giant generals. I'm pretty sure my quest trail is completely bugged out, as is the map, because it keeps directing me to go straight into walls. I have been trying to figure out a way back to the questgiver (Surveyor Baera) for about 20 minutes but I keep hitting walls even when not following the quest trail.

I don't know if this is a bug or if you meant this zone to be weird like that but it is extremely frustrating.
Post edited by highonwater on

Comments

• Options
    fukahmyfukahmy Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    the questtrail is bugged, I guess they added some rockwalls as an afterthough. Just go to the other side of the caldera and start following it from there and you eventually find the 3 spheres. ONe is right to the left from the campfire behind one of the giants.
  • Options
    powereddjinnpowereddjinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Bugged - rofl...

Who did the QA? cos they must be blind... got so fed up of this quest that I dropped it & jumped into the lava to get out of the area...
  • Options
    crypticarkaynecrypticarkayne Member, Cryptic Developer Posts: 27 Cryptic Developer
    edited May 2013
    Found the problem; fix will be in a future update. Thanks for the feedback!
  • Options
    cpc2011acpc2011a Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Found the problem; fix will be in a future update. Thanks for the feedback!

lol Hopefully not too far in the future because those of us with the problem are stuck...and /unstuck won't help this one :)
  • Options
    ikuruyoikuruyo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 132 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    The solution is fairly simple.. explore a bit and learn the map.

Speaking of the map. The map shown when you push M does NOT match the actual terrain in the zone. It looks like someone decided to change the layout but did not bother to update the map to match it. This is part of whats leading to so much confusion.
  • Options
    tfangeltfangel Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    ikuruyo wrote: »
    Speaking of the map. The map shown when you push M does NOT match the actual terrain in the zone. It looks like someone decided to change the layout but did not bother to update the map to match it. This is part of whats leading to so much confusion.

Yeah, when i ran that it was a pita. Not being able to follow the trail, map being "off", and never quite knowing what level things were on, with those giants around, made me hate that zone. Though, i've never been a huge fan of those zones that are so narrow in path, i prefer the more open zones where i don't have to follow things so closely. Sad how the higher end zones all seemed so closed in with narrow paths. :\
  • Options
    ikuruyoikuruyo Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 132 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    tfangel wrote: »
    Yeah, when i ran that it was a pita. Not being able to follow the trail, map being "off", and never quite knowing what level things were on, with those giants around, made me hate that zone. Though, i've never been a huge fan of those zones that are so narrow in path, i prefer the more open zones where i don't have to follow things so closely. Sad how the higher end zones all seemed so closed in with narrow paths. :\

When I found that the trail and maps were off I simply started exploring and memorizing the area. The giants are not a problem if you pay attention to where you are and how far they are. Everything takes a second to recognize things as a target based on your distance from them. If you go straight through a group they will attack right away, if you skirt the edge of the group they pause and look at you and if you go by fast enough they never attack you.

Its amazing to me that so many players don't realize this simple behavior. I have to wonder if its because they played WoW first. I've never played that game though so I don't know how enemies behave there. I just know that the games I learned on worked this way and failure to learn resulted in death and a 20+ minute run to get back to where you were. Does not take too many of those runs for you to learn caution and the ability to analyze the range of enemies.
  • Options
    martinschoumartinschou Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    The problem is that you have a map that is completely unreliable.

If the game didn't give you a map, this wouldn't be considered an issue. But now we have a game that gives you a map, and places you on it, and it's like trying to navigate London with a hand drawn map of Barcelona.

The work arounds suggested (ignoring the map) doesn't address the problem - it's common sense, and I rather doubt anyone who's played the map has simply thought "well, the map and quest trail doesn't work - I'd better make sure I use the map and quest trail."
  • Options
    martinschoumartinschou Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Just wanted to add some useful info:

Starting from the Quest Giver (Surveyor Baera), go down the incline due south of the camp fire.

To find where to place the Globes, you need to find three of the Giant generals:

First globe:
    Behind General Moktar (Quest Trail doesn't work).

Second globe:
    Behind General Demok (Quest Trail works from General Moktar)

Third Globe
    Behind General Kroma (Quest Trail sort of works from General Demok)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    So it's been seventeen days and there's still no fix for this. How long is this going to take? This is still a problem. I ignored the map and the trail and still couldn't figure out how to get out of there. There were people telling others how to get out via zone chat, so I know I'm not the only one still having this problem. The map would actually make sense if they just removed those walls.
  • Options
    chrispybrownchrispybrown Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Yeah, I just wondered around until I found what I was looking for. The trick is to go there at level 60 and have good gear. I was getting my behind handed to me with my level 50+ blue gear as a GWF at level 59. I had a score of about 6K GS (gear score). I went to AH, bought about 200K in purples including an armor set gaining a 9K GS and smashed my way through the mobs.

This kind of reminded me of looking for quest points in WOW. They didn't have shiny little paths :)
  • Options
    cupiscentcupiscent Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    I can't find the globe location - I've followed the advice on how to get to the places required and still find nowhere to interact with. Flummoxed and having to move on.
  • Options
    ashthevaultladyashthevaultlady Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    fukahmy wrote: »
    the questtrail is bugged, I guess they added some rockwalls as an afterthough. Just go to the other side of the caldera and start following it from there and you eventually find the 3 spheres. ONe is right to the left from the campfire behind one of the giants.

Okay so I found the places to put the orbs, but when I try to use them, it doesn't give me the option to. When I highlight over them it doesn't give me the "press F to ..." So what do I do?
  • Options
    powereddjinnpowereddjinn Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited June 2013
    Not just is the quest trail wrong but my TR doing the quest atm has no 'spheres' on the ground to interact with, despite me knowing exactly where they are..

I've changed instances, logged off for an hour, dropped the quest, left the zone for another, & I still have nothing to interact with to carry on the quest & finish the caldera chain!

And I do not expect my GM Ticket ever to be read by a human, just closed in 3 weeks time, like all the other bug reports!
  • Options
    algolmuirgenalgolmuirgen Member, NW M9 Playtest Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited October 2013
    Accidentally deleted the Mt. Hotenaw quest. Where do I go to get it back? I'm having glitches with my journal. Will report the bug. Tried to delete one quest and three went at the same time without any checks or the like. Sigh...