test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Community Foundry Manual

Comments

• aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    It's so nice to be able to talk about the Foundry now. Having duct tape over your mouth isn't all it's cracked up to be.
  • apocrs1980apocrs1980 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    For Launch you cannot create 5 man "dungeons". You can however make content that 5 players can play together.

I think I may have proved Badbot wrong ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Cragsteep Crypt - BETA
    Ravenloft
    Look for@Apocrs1980 or visit the main page here or Ravenloft here
  • gizmosdragongizmosdragon Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    This is exactly what I was looking for. I played the first two NWN games, though I never played them. I developed content for them and scripted. I am a big fan of creating custom content and I love the NWN series. Can't wait to dig in.
  • tilt42tilt42 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Just keep in mind that Neverwinter isn't part of the NWN series. It's set in the same city, but this isn't Neverwinter Nights 3. The distinction is quite important because the games are pretty different.
  • gillrmngillrmn Member Posts: 7,800 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Those asking for permission to use the manual, it is a fan work for communty so it is fine.

But to make it more clear, I guess I will specify that these are under cc license.

*goes to the cc site and clicks on one of the icons with closed eyes*

Here:-
    http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/3.0/

As it contains content from cryptic and WotC, you can't use it freely for commercial work.

EDIT:
    some kind of credit would be awesome for appreciation becomes a prime motivation for such undertakings.
    edited April 2013
    Added a few important links in main post
    Important:-

[thread=117831]List of UGC[/thread]

[thread=140651]Hash Tags for authors[/thread]

[thread=140391]Q&A thread[/thread]
    edited April 2013
    P.S.

I will be off the grid for something.

If you have any questions etc, I will still be checking twitter (@gill_NW). So if there are any questions etc. regarding manual, or for me - send a birdy my way.
  • lovelovehugslovelovehugs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I was wondering if you can make a quest that 2-3 players can do? my friends are over seas so us playing together is going to be hard..and with dungeon dives level locked. We are just nervous will be able to do nothing together with me leveling up much faster... will it be possible to make a quest so people can team with their friends? without needing to struggle finding a tank and where level wont lock certain people out?
  • myrkolithmyrkolith Member Posts: 212 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Actually the Level locks have been removed now. The only catch to that is you have to physically enter the dungeon entrance. Like for example you can be 20+ to queue up for the Tower at the end of the Tower District (5 man dungeon) however you can walk in as a level 60 solo if you go up to the door and enter, the same holds true for your party. Also as long as you are grouped you can enter and help your friends with any and all of their quests. The only exception I can think of are skirmishes which I don't believe have a physical entrance...
    Conduit of Time: 7 Chapter Campaign in progress (Currently Chapter 6 Released)
    Search @Longshire for 12 Foundry Quests, all are story driven adventures
    Story -- Medium/Heavy, Combat -- Light/Medium, Lore -- Medium/Heavy
  • lovelovehugslovelovehugs Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    myrkolith THANK YOU!~ this is amazing I only have to level one char now!
  • thunderspankerthunderspanker Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Silverstars Posts: 713 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    I was wondering if you can make a quest that 2-3 players can do? my friends are over seas so us playing together is going to be hard..and with dungeon dives level locked. We are just nervous will be able to do nothing together with me leveling up much faster... will it be possible to make a quest so people can team with their friends? without needing to struggle finding a tank and where level wont lock certain people out?

There are a lot of us that tried to think of more than one player as they were questing.. but that is tricky, as i like to make a good story, but in some spots, it isnt always easy to accomodate, like with quest dialog. But when the floodgates go, the content will be amazing, because there are a lot of dungeon masters that have been waiting for years to tell a story this way. Being able to do that with your friends, well that is dnd. You will be able to create your own dungeons for you and your friends to delve in, and that will add a lot more dimension to it, just cuz you did it, and when people are in there with you, it will be a learning experience to be sure .lol. but also a moment of pride. No matter what you end up with, with friends, it is fun.

The level requirement. not my specialty...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Himmelville - Are you easily frightened?
    Click Here

On one side of the mountain, there were bones...
    edited April 2013
    I know the level thing is a big issue for some people, what if they made it so high levels could come down to the level or the others? like in champions online. As the day gets closer my friends and I get more and more nervous we will have to stalk each other and pray we can do things together..none of us pvp so that is out we are pve lovers! Guess just hope for the best super excited!
  • booradleyshousebooradleyshouse Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    You know what? I am TERRIBLY impatient and wan to start designing scenarios before launch. Does anyone have screenshots of NPC types and monster types that are available in Foundry? This would make my WEEK!!!
  • apocrs1980apocrs1980 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    hmm... not really any screen shots but I did compile a list of the monster types included so far for a similar question you can Xref them with the Monster Manual to get an idea of their look as Cryptic's art department did a good job of duplicating the art style exactly from the Manuel.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The Cragsteep Crypt - BETA
    Ravenloft
    Look for@Apocrs1980 or visit the main page here or Ravenloft here
    edited April 2013

You can do foundry quests but the experience gained will be in proportion to level of the character. Also the difficulty will be scaled to max level preent in party.

sidekicking has not yet been implemented at launch btw, but was suggested to devs. It is to be seen if it makes in during first few expansions.
  • endaline91endaline91 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I figure this thread is as good a place to ask as any as I've been following gillrmn's manuals.

When I create an Inspect Object Objective the quest just instantly finishes whenever I try to test the story. As far as I can see I've set everything up just as in the manual, but even through trying out some different methods I can't seem to have an Inspect Object Objective without it instantly completing the second the mission starts.

Probably just some small detail I am missing, but I dunno.
  • zorchensteinzorchenstein Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Can you tell me how many Zen I will have to pay to get more Foundry Slots?
  • belaam75belaam75 Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I can't believe that I haven't found this elsewhere and I must be a total idiot, but how can I move the map around while editing it? I can zoom, but that's about it. Tried all the usual Alt+left click and move type stuff, but can't find a thing. :(
  • dsadsafdsafdsadsadsafdsafdsa Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Can anyone tell me what most of the Tasks stuff means? Such as Each component must be used no more than once. I don't understand what that really means and I'm cunfused by it.
  • mokahmokah Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    belaam75 wrote: »
    I can't believe that I haven't found this elsewhere and I must be a total idiot, but how can I move the map around while editing it? I can zoom, but that's about it. Tried all the usual Alt+left click and move type stuff, but can't find a thing. :(

Middle mouse button (or wheel) click and drag.
    Mokah - The Grumpy Strumpet
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • nymbleshanksnymbleshanks Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Can you tell me how many Zen I will have to pay to get more Foundry Slots?

I do not believe that they have announced that yet. I understand that they had a buy more foundry slots button briefly in alpha or early beta, but it was removed. Chances are they are waiting to see a few things like average usage and decide on how they are going to handle the 16k plus quests already in the works before they increase the saturation from those who are knowledgable enough to build them even faster by the time they hit the cap, not to mention just stabilizing the Foundry and general servers. Once they feel its stable, I am sure they will announce it/patch it so as to get the revenue and the authors who are eager to keep building content--which will also help satisfy the player base.
  • raphaeldisantoraphaeldisanto Member Posts: 402 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    mokah wrote: »
    Middle mouse button (or wheel) click and drag.

holding the space bar down while dragging also works (Photoshop style)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • felipeh92felipeh92 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Hi, I can't post a new thread, but I think I can put my doubt here right? It's not about the foundry itself...

Anyway, what I which to know is about the copyrights material. Can I use anything of the forgotten realms in my quests/campaigns? What about adapt old forgotten realms adventures or D&D Modules? Like "Against the giants" or "Tomb of Horrors".

And other D&D games? I was thinking in make a FR version of the "Shadow over Mystara" called "Shadow over The Realms"...

Thx.
  • ireniicusireniicus Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Is there a way to connect two maps within the same quest? I would like to create a small outdoor map as prelude to entering a cave/or dungeon. Just not sure how to create the appropriate connections.
  • mortisperpetuamortisperpetua Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Been working through the tutorial tonight (very nicely done, btw) and have run into a problem with my build of the part 1 quest. Specifically, I created the Inspect Object Objective for searching a barrel for documents, but the instant I test it, NW says that the quest is complete while at the same time not showing the docs in my inventory. As far as I can tell, I have everything set right, but it doesn't work (at least not the way I'd expect). I figure I must have missed a step somewhere, but don't know what. Can anyone suggest what to review? (BTW, the talk to graycloak works fine, and I expect the hide docs one will too)

Thanks
  • belleal1belleal1 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Extremely useful and well made manuals! It was very helpful and managed to give me a good initial impression of what can be done with the Foundry. I hope to see the next parts of this soon. Thanks for your work and the effort you put in it!
  • kexikkexik Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    I want to thank you for those manuals. It's really great of you that you do these and i'm really glad someone did take that effort to share his knowledge. ;)

Also i would like to ask a question. I wanted to do a two different was how to complete part of main quest like... you end up dialog and you can choose if you go there and kill someone or you go there and pick up item. Which leads to my other question if it is possible to make a two or more different endings for main story quest.

PS: Sorry for my bad englis.
  • lillizlilliz Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    Maybe this has been asked before, but I'm having difficulty figuring out how to make an NPC hostile after dialog. You can supposedly make Boss-like encounters which I've figured out the reskining aspect but it doesn't change their attacks or difficulty. So they aren't really boss-like just.. cool looking mobs? IDk anyways I just want to know if anyone else has figured it out. This is my first map to be publish I have others but those were to just figure out how foundry works. If anyone could let me know or Inbox me if it needs more explaining than a reply I'd appreciate it!
  • allaerraallaerra Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 838 Bounty Hunter
    edited May 2013
    Is there a website and/or chatroom for UCG authors?