test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

[Guide] Companion info and a bit of a guide

Comments

• enderlin50enderlin50 Member Posts: 993 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    civildude wrote: »
    Once you initially make a companion active that companion becomes bound to you. Here's the fun part. For a fee of astral diamonds you can make a companion unbound to you and then trade/sell that companion with other players! Want a new companion but don't to level a companion all over again? Someone might be selling one that they have already leveled! Have a companion you don't want anymore? Unbind and sell them! This could create some really interesting markets I think.[\QUOTE]

I didn't know this!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • betazeebetazee Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 20 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Thanks for all the info.
  • cerek2cerek2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 62
    edited April 2013
    enderlin50 wrote: »
    Once you initially make a companion active that companion becomes bound to you. Here's the fun part. For a fee of astral diamonds you can make a companion unbound to you and then trade/sell that companion with other players! Want a new companion but don't to level a companion all over again? Someone might be selling one that they have already leveled! Have a companion you don't want anymore? Unbind and sell them! This could create some really interesting markets I think.[\QUOTE]

I didn't know this!

I wonder if this will work with any companion, even the ones from the Packs ? because don't Pack purchasers get the Panther and/or Dire Wolf companion with every character they make ? and I'm going to bet they'll be pretty good and probably of rarity. So what's the stop players from constantly making a new character, over and over, and flooding the market place with Panthers and Dire Wolves ? lol. If this is true, I see a serious exploit here.
  • dec0ydeaditedec0ydeadite Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    cerek2 wrote: »

I wonder if this will work with any companion, even the ones from the Packs ? because don't Pack purchasers get the Panther and/or Dire Wolf companion with every character they make ? and I'm going to bet they'll be pretty good and probably of rarity. So what's the stop players from constantly making a new character, over and over, and flooding the market place with Panthers and Dire Wolves ? lol. If this is true, I see a serious exploit here.

i've brougth this up before in other threads, as of right now everything in our packs is bound on pick up, and it has been stated before that we only get one for each character we can make, so we are restricted from have an 'endless' supply. however since we can pay AD to unbind a companion we will probably be able to sell them if we wanted, its something that hasn't been officially addressed so no one really knows, in the end they could just make pack companions AD unbind exempt; who knows.
    those dam_ HOTN players ruin everything.
    STRUGGLING? uMAD? QQ? NEED A GUIDE? GET SPOON FED HERE! NOMNOMNOM
  • lanessar13lanessar13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    enderlin50 wrote: »

No, the founder's items are soulbound and cannot be traded. Same with the Zen-market account wide unlocks like the Howler mount. If you buy a zen companion (which is only for a single character), you can unbind it and sell it.

Personally, I think selling fully leveled companions will be a big seller at end-game. It will most likely take (even at max levels) several hours of grinding to cap these ranks/levels out on one, so selling a fully-levelled companion will be both a levelling boon (for an alt, running a level 20 companion slotted with - what is the max? Rank 4? 5? Runestones - will make things easier) and an end-game expediency which I am sure some entrepreneurs will capitalize on.

Since this drives the economy, I'm in favor of it.
  • kotlikotli Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 577
    edited April 2013
    I got the Companion quest when I hit level 16 in the level up menu during Beta weekend 3.

Also brought the Rock golem thing from zen store has throw stone/rock (taunts) and a ground pound attack is fairly tough and can takes a pounding (didn't get him very high though).
  • sadgfhsadgfh Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I'm glad that I'm getting positive feedback! If there is anything anyone would like for me to add such as images of other companions or the other pets abilities please let me know!

I haven't had a lot of.expeiernce with companions, but I did level the ghost in bw1 and it was.confusing. You mentioned the ghost can posses enemies, I never saw that. I also don't understand how stats effect the companion, it doesn't tell you. Finally, my ghost only had 1 attack and it did 2-3 damage regardless of stats or level.
    Let's pretend like my account name isn't just a random string of characters I got by punching my keyboard.
  • cerek2cerek2 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 62
    edited April 2013
    lanessar13 wrote: »

No, the founder's items are soulbound and cannot be traded. Same with the Zen-market account wide unlocks like the Howler mount. If you buy a zen companion (which is only for a single character), you can unbind it and sell it.

Personally, I think selling fully leveled companions will be a big seller at end-game. It will most likely take (even at max levels) several hours of grinding to cap these ranks/levels out on one, so selling a fully-levelled companion will be both a levelling boon (for an alt, running a level 20 companion slotted with - what is the max? Rank 4? 5? Runestones - will make things easier) and an end-game expediency which I am sure some entrepreneurs will capitalize on.

Since this drives the economy, I'm in favor of it.

So all of the contents in the packs are account wide and soul-bound. The zen market mounts are soul-bound but also account wide unlock. The zen companions are single purchase, but can be unbound and sold / traded.
  • lanessar13lanessar13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    lanessar13 wrote: »

So all of the contents in the packs are account wide and soul-bound. The zen market mounts are soul-bound but also account wide unlock. The zen companions are single purchase, but can be unbound and sold / traded.

Correct. Mounts are worth the $40 as far as I can see, not because "you get a rank 3 mount", but because any future character you create on that account gets that mount for free, as well. Five alts? They ALL get Howlers. Same with the founder's packs.

This means value add for the account, rather than a specific character on that account. Whether that mount/companion gets "boring" or whatever is your call. But statistically, a dire wolf or panther is a striker companion for every single character, resulting in (to round out companions) only healer/tanker to fill out to get a good. complete set of support for your toon.
  • gridwardengridwarden Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Are the companions available/active when in 5-man dungeons/instances?
  • rictor77rictor77 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Yes they are.
    "You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him."
    "Every saint has a past and every sinner has a future."
    "Education is an admirable thing, but it is well to remember from time to time that nothing that is worth knowing can be taught."
    "Life is too important to be taken seriously.":)
  • ganiriesganiries Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    man-at-arms.jpg

My Man-at-Arms! Rushed trained during the last two weekends to get him to 30. Cost a ton of astral diamonds at higher levels. He was pretty fun, holding aggro wonderfully versus single targets playing in easier-medium difficulty zones. It still fairly squishy versus bosses and in group dungeons/skirmishes, where I usually dismissed him anyway.

The smaller image on the right is the level 30 skin, called Champion Cavalier. Wanted to take better screenshots before server came down at midnight, but I crashed and couldn't log back in. The skin on the left was the second to last unlock.

Didn't notice any new abilities. I also meant to take screenshots of all his stats (and my stats as well), but didn't get the chance to. /sadface
    Ornament-3.gif
  • civildudecivildude Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 78
    edited April 2013
    Thanks for the SS and info ganiries. I'll put that up in my first post with credit to you if that is ok.
    inDAm9VkKqVQA.png
  • rekoj13rekoj13 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    The Companion idle/active system
    Each character can only have 3 active companions(unless you buy more active pet slots). Companions purchased or obtained will only appear on that character. If you have more companions than you have active slots, you may make a companion idle for free. You can then reactivate that companion should you have an active slot open up - either by buying a new one or making another companion idle. Each character starts with 6 idle companion slots.

Once you initially make a companion active that companion becomes bound to you. Here's the fun part. For a fee of astral diamonds you can make a companion unbound to you and then trade/sell that companion with other players! Want a new companion but don't to level a companion all over again? Someone might be selling one that they have already leveled! Have a companion you don't want anymore? Unbind and sell them! This could create some really interesting markets I think.

Could someone clarify this here as its a bit confusing and I didnt get around to getting more than 1 companion. If I read this right, Active companion = out and fighting for you? So does this mean you can have at minimum 3 companions out fighting with you as you quest or whatever?

If you can have multiple companions out fighting with you, does that continue as you group/instance together (meaning you could have 5 people with 3+ companions each out?)

The wording here to me is just confusing. I take Active to mean out and fighting. Am I just misinterpreting the verbiage?
    Xbox Gamer Tag: Brian G Awesome
    Devoted Cleric: Heskan
  • jirodynejirodyne Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    rekoj13 wrote: »
    Could someone clarify this here as its a bit confusing and I didnt get around to getting more than 1 companion. If I read this right, Active companion = out and fighting for you? So does this mean you can have at minimum 3 companions out fighting with you as you quest or whatever?

If you can have multiple companions out fighting with you, does that continue as you group/instance together (meaning you could have 5 people with 3+ companions each out?)

The wording here to me is just confusing. I take Active to mean out and fighting. Am I just misinterpreting the verbiage?

I believe it works as, you can only have 1 companion out with you at any one time. But say, he gets enough exp you can train him and pull out another to fight with. And I think only active companions can be trained.

So with 3 active companions Minimum, it means at most you can have 2 companions sent off training, and one activated and fighting with you.

While those that are inactive, can not be used, or trained, or anything. At least that is my understanding of it.
    Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
    Ash nazg thrakatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
  • kotlikotli Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 577
    edited April 2013
    Activate companions are the ones you can call out at any-time you wish but only 1 at a time though. Idle companions need to switched with active ones to be used and I believe there will be some kind of CD before you can summon them.
  • wikariowikario Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Another rumor to add: In the german forum it was mentioned that different companions have kind of different quality influencing to which maximum level they can be promoted.
    Anyone heard anything about this and if yes, where to find more information about "quality" of companions.
  • wizzbangerwizzbanger Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Will the foundry be available to free-to-play??
    edited April 2013
    wilkario from that I heard the Companions all cap out at lvl 30 all of them.
    wizznanger this is the Companion thread next time ask elsewhere but yes the foundry is free.
  • jirodynejirodyne Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Hmm.... I vote, that we bug the Devs to make it so we get more info about the companions in the Zen store when we hover over them.

Using http://imgur.com/a/OCJK1#Z6WrhAM To see all the Store Items from the Zen store, the companions just give basic flavor text that doesn't really give any information about the guy before you buy them. A good example is the Tomb Spider for $25, all it says before buying is: 'With the right Pheromones even this deadly creature will be by your side.' Which tell you absolutely nothing about it, how it will act, any special abilities like the Ghost, (one that can take over enemies for a few minutes?), and with them costing between $15 and $35 that Information to get the right companion is kinda important.
    Ash nazg durbatuluk, ash nazg gimbatul,
    Ash nazg thrakatuluk agh burzum-ishi krimpatul.
  • malibearmalibear Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Comment: That guide was very useful and if further upgraded could be really amazing :)

Question: Did any1 dare to buy the Honey Badger? If so what was it like? :-P
  • ganndogganndog Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    I wanted to know the same thing, malibear. kwsapphire was kind enough to give some insight in the thread Horse Coats and Rune Stones, now on page 3.
    'Get me out of this hell hole.'
  • malibearmalibear Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    ganndog wrote: »
    I wanted to know the same thing, malibear. kwsapphire was kind enough to give some insight in the thread Horse Coats and Rune Stones, now on page 3.

Yeah I've seen it in the Zen Store but the store doesn't really tell you a lot about the pets, so I was wondering if any1 bought it and tried it out, what it's abilities were and what role it was :)
  • ganndogganndog Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Again, check the thread mentioned for some info about role and abilities. I am also interested in knowing what changes have been made to any of the companions before I purchase them at OB. Especially the kelemvor cleric - if it's meant to heal, has this been fixed? Have there been any improvements to companions generally? Any info would be appreciated.
    'Get me out of this hell hole.'
  • dec0ydeaditedec0ydeadite Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    malibear wrote: »

Question: Did any1 dare to buy the Honey Badger? If so what was it like? :-P

someone on here bought it and posted pics, sadly i can't remember who it was.
    those dam_ HOTN players ruin everything.
    STRUGGLING? uMAD? QQ? NEED A GUIDE? GET SPOON FED HERE! NOMNOMNOM
  • civildudecivildude Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 78
    edited April 2013
    With BW4 coming up and, from what I've heard, a fair number of changes going into the game this guide will be getting updated a fair bit next week! I would love any help that anyone could give especially with any of the following questions or anything I flat out miss.

What companion did you use? What types of powers did they have? If they were humanoid what gender were they? Can you attach a screen shot and if so can I use your screen shot for the guide?

Also if there is anything you would like to know I can try to figure it out this weekend so post questions here or hit me up with a PM!

Thanks!
    inDAm9VkKqVQA.png
  • stauchstauch Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 38
    edited April 2013
    I'll try to remember to get some screenies of my Neverember(?) Guard (Zen store "man at arms"), think I got it to 25 during BW3.
  • xphantasmxxphantasmx Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Thanks for the guide m8!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • hedgehog8hedgehog8 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 148 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    BTW, what is the $ to Zen ratio? Like 10$ for 1000 zen? I didn't see any prices on the 'pay' tab.
    I'm really thinking that trying a hawk companion may be worth a try this weekend :D
  • skeletunskeletun Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Does anyone have a list of what companions you get (free) at which levels. I thought I read that at lvl 16, you can pick out a companion. But then at lvl 30 (or 40?) and some other levels some are given to you for free.