test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tell us about your First Table top Roleplaying charcter

2»

Comments

• tinbender02tinbender02 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 209 Bounty Hunter
    edited February 2013
    hmmmm tries hard to remember the first PC. Ummm nope not ringing a bell as it was a handme down character, it was and npc fighter the DM had with the group to help fill it out. I played the character as it was to get experience playing and to fit in more easily with the existing game. That is all I remember.

The first character I had that really stuck with me was a Half-Elven Ranger named Haf Noman. Haf had a few issues and they definitely colored his outlook on life. He has had amny iterations through PnP and cRPG games but a few things always start the same but depending on who he met how he grew or didn't grow changed each time.

Haf was always a Ranger with no multi-classing ever. He didn't like pure humans and generally tried to avoid full elves. Haf was in many ways a stereo typical Ranger in that he preferred the woods the city and as a matter of fact was quite distressed when in town to the point he would sometimes wait for the party at the city gates. He tended to talk to his animal companion a lot and discuss many of the days problems with it. His alignment was chaotic good with an emphasis on chaotic. If he thought it would do more good than harm he had no problems killing or otherwise removing someone.

I liked Haf as his surly attitude was fun to play and finding reasons to party with humans and elves was fun RP for me and I hope everyone else in the party. Hafs prejudices made for some interesting party dynamics. In one incarnation Haf developed a serioius relationship with the parties rogue so when they entered towns she developed a second shadow. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    *sniffs* Me want ranger
  • hametehamete Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    I did some more digging and I remembered that I had indeed played a few characters before that one, honestly. They weren't thought out or have any personalities of note.

There was a game I played called Rune "something".... back in middle school. I had a Knight who worshiped the Silent God. Basically I was a Knight Spellblade type. It was really weird. The DM was my friend's step dad and it was a game of oddness. I have a few stories from back then, but as with most stories they are way too long and too involved. I will say that I shot myself in the chest with a crossbow (wasn't fatal) and unleashed a godzilla like being (yes he was a giant lizard person) on a nearby city.. within the same day. Also pissed off an elf.. That last bit was the best part I think.

After that was the years of really really bad rp via MUDs and highschool, where I shamefully admit I tried to make those 'cool' characters who were in all ways epic in their nature and they oozed so much <font color="orange">HAMSTER</font> that they were plastic and pathetic.

I continued to write for fun but as I mentioned before I only made Xordan a few years ago. Since then I've made a plethora of fun character both for fun and for play.
  • doctorcomicsdoctorcomics Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Silverstars, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited February 2013
    The game you are thinking of is Runequest, by Steve Perrin. It was infamous for its weirdness. Oh, and its critical miss tables, which allowed you to shoot yourself with your own crossbow or even cut off your own head.

Ah, good times.
    edited March 2013
    The game you are thinking of is Runequest, by Steve Perrin. It was infamous for its weirdness. Oh, and its critical miss tables, which allowed you to shoot yourself with your own crossbow or even cut off your own head.

Ah, good times.

Thanks for letting me know.. its a d10 system right? Anyhow I think I still have the character sheet somewhere. Anyhow... It wasnt a critical miss table. Apparently shooting a crossbow into a protective elfin grove makes the bolt turn around and come back at you. The dragonling humanoid was a statue at the time and we thought it was a trap. Trying to make things move I shot a bolt at it to see if it was safe. Totally did a u-turn in the grove and shot back at me. knocked me off my horse.

The dragon then used our Mage's staff to break through the barrier.. and flee. We were all confused and disoriented by the magic field and ended up pummeling among ourselves. An angry elf came out telling us we let go its dangerous prisoner.... and charged us with capturing it. We then followed the trail to a city.. whose wall looked like a seige engine had been tested on it. The guard told us that whoever let the beast free should be killed. Wisely, we kept our mouths shut.

I moved shortly after that game so I really don't know what happened after that.
  • toadoflickingtoadoflicking Member Posts: 168 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I didn't start playing tabletop RPGs until Third Edition came out. I played my first game in 2001 at the age of 24. I've been playing ever since.

My character in that game was a young human sorceress. True to the trope, she wore little clothing, but did cover up with a cloak. The DM took great delight in destroying the cloak such that, in three levels, it was replaced four times due to being ripped to shreds.

This was the Sunless Citadel--a module that was supposed to take maybe a couple of sessions to get through. We took about six weeks from all the roleplaying and goofing around. The final battle against the evil druid was a high point for my character. Having been given a wand of fireball by her mentor before setting out on her adventure, my sorceress had made excellent use of it in destroying a zombie troll earlier in the dungeon. The BBEG, however, was able to charm her, and she was about to trigger the wand on the party. In one round, my sorceress took enough subdual damage to be knocked out--by her own party.

That's right. My poor sorceress spent the entire final battle out cold.

Later in the campaign, she spent roughly three days without any meaningful rest, after having had to blow all her spells in the very first combat of the first day. So, I saved the group, then spent the next three days plinking away with a crossbow.

... And people wonder why I love 4E so much. At-will magic is the best thing to ever happen to D&D.
    edited March 2013
    ... And people wonder why I love 4E so much. At-will magic is the best thing to ever happen to D&D.

I agree. Most people who look at 4e call it hand holding but honestly I liked to think of it as a streamlined equalizer. Less book keeping too.
  • keepcalmkeepcalm Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Ah, first character.
    For me, that would be Rhiain, halfling bard that started off at level 1 going through the Burning Plague module. Ten years ago, and now that I think back, almost painfully innocent and idealistic. Got on very well with the party paladin and, the bit I remember most, talked a random kobold into switching sides.
    Said kobold soon died, but she kept his crossbow after that.

Ah, poor Nameless Kobold #3.
    "The halfling way of battle is simple: You jump on their face and keep stabbing until the screaming stops."
  • aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    cut off your own head.
    Crud. Talk about a case of the Mondays...
  • stereocyclopsstereocyclops Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 33
    edited March 2013
    Ah, forget my very first characters, they were generic and boring. It was a bunch of 10 year old ignoring the rules to zerg super powered redbox characters.

I got back into D&D 30 years later, with 4e, and I made myself a half-giant named Oreo. He was a barbarian by class, but he didn't know that. Oreo thought he was a bard. I had a large crude lute that he had made for himself from some trees and the (still stinking) entrails of a deer. I would spend my time between gaming sessions planning little songs to unleash on other players, making up terrible poetry, and would try to sum up our adventures at the end of the night in ridiculous little songs.

He was utterly convinced that our halfling rogue was a beloved family pet, which the halfling cheerfully agreed to, since it meant I kept him well fed.

His rage was usually triggered by the fact his attempts to perform the expected bardic magic in combat would fail, causing a little tantrum. After combat he would usually proclaim that something was clearly wrong with his instrument, and apologize for losing his decorum.

Our DM was brilliant, and tended to work our little peccadillos into the story of whatever module we ran. That group was a sheer joy to play with (cross dressing dwarven necromancer, a tiefling warlock who was convinced we were all hallucinations, a grossly overweight halfling, etc, etc) The zaniest, and most enjoyable PnP group I have EVER played with.

We were a sore trial to many an uptight tournament DM in our day.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kagetempestkagetempest Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    My very first character was no hero at all, but in fact it was a Wizard's familiar.

When I was around 12-13 I was invited over to a friend's place where his father was running a D&D game for my friend's elder sister and her friends. My friend forgot that he had a character for the game and that he was expected to play. He was sure I could join as well, but when I came, the part was full with 8 fully fledged characters.

Because of this, the DM, not wanting to spend another hour helping with character creation and explaining everything to me, told me the Wizard's Cat was my character. So I ran with it and had a great time staying at the fringe of combat with all 8 of my hit points. The party got captured and was put into these prison pits with other slaves, bereft of their gear and whatnot. The wizard was useless without spell components and already used all his first level spell slots for the day and our thief did not have any thieve tools to pick lock the door. The top of the pits were open however, but our fighter and barbarian were badly bruised in the fight and had little hit points to risk.

Then in a stereotypical fashion, the spotlight was put onto me. I kinda listened throughout most of the session but then I came up with the idea that the cat, named Mittens, could be thrown out of the hole when we were sure the guards were alseep and go looking for the key. The plan was hatched and so I made my way, exploring through rooms and making hide checks every so often. The DM was crafty and put at least a few distractions for the cat to go for. I can't really remember, but there was something that the cat fell for for a while. Eventually, the cat found the keys but was noticed by a wolf pet.

Now this part, the DM, thinking back clearly fudged. without thinking, I had the cat fight the wolf and the cat somehow won. At least won enough for the wolf to flee. The cat takes the key to the prison and the party was freed.

I later found out that the campaign we were using was Castle Whiterock of Goodman Games fame.

I even ran the very same campaign in University a few years back.

I will post my first Legit character later.
  • darkstrider34darkstrider34 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 9 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    My first character...

It started about..uhh...i wanna say 5 years ago. My friends and my brother decided to give tabletop D&D 3.5 a try,all of us being seasoned video gamers with not a whole lot of tabletop experience.

I made a Dwarf barbarian named Bargor Stoneaxe,a roudy,illertate and just barely smart enough to talk dwarf who loved his ale and a good fight. The very first time we got into combat was my first actual taste of it all (my friends did a training campaign before i joined in) Hilarity ensued when I managed to roll two 20's in a row on my first bandit,plus cleaving the next bandit along with him with my great axe.

Sense then I made a Crusader,a beguiler and now a Psion all within 5 years with different campaigns :P
  • kagetempestkagetempest Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    That is quite the progression of character types O.O.

I never really got into Psionics, but I suppose with the right setting it can be done well.
    edited March 2013
    That is quite the progression of character types O.O.

I never really got into Psionics, but I suppose with the right setting it can be done well.
    Imagine the Psion class like this... Jedi force push...EVERYWHERE. Its a great deal of fun. Just instead of channeling arcane power they are using sheer force of will to cause 'magic' If you fit that into any setting where the world sees it as strange magic.. then its good.

I made a psion recently who I loved dearly but was unable to work him into the current campaign. My last character "Mervyn" a drow artificer (self forged paragon path) had set up a soul trap on his mind and soul to be transferred into a blank warforged body. However due to the circumstances of his death, he lost his memory and was therefore a fully functioning level 20 (we were playing an epic tier campaign for yucks) Warforged Psion who had no idea who he was or why he felt the need to help/murder his companions.

That being said the dm didn't want a 'reincarnation background' and told me to use something different. Thus I was sad that MervRobo 4000 was never truly born.
  • burr3burr3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    My first character was a d&d 3.5 ed female human scout named Aya. It was my first character to ever reach epic level. A lot of interesting things happened.. including our pack donkey turning into in silver dragon. >.> a bit of a surprise there. I still have that character sheet. We sometimes use her as a super strong NPC.. or as a deterrent in our evil campaigns. :cool:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • uxigaduruxigadur Member Posts: 73 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    A gangster in shadowrunner, only one quest.
    Not the best man for the job, he barelly hit a couple of enemies and drive quiet well, but no more.
  • dlcarterdlcarter Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Knight of the Feywild Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    1976 a Dwarf Ungraz I had just turned 7 that summer high school neighbor was DMing a campaign he had made.
    If I remember correctly race determined class.
    He was a shovel wielding fighter. Yes his first weapon was a plain old shovel "Garden Spade"
    They got me started on D&D because when we played stuff like backgammon they could not beat me.
    It embarrassed the head of the High School math and chest club lost games to a 7 year old.
    Until he met the guy that taught me backgammon. He was in his mid 20's and a card carrying Mensa member.
    He told Paul the high shcool guy do not fret be beats me more often than I beat him.
    I am not lost, I am exploring. All who wander are not lost.
    Not all who seem to be lost want to be found.
    :D
  • aavariusaavarius Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Silverstars Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    dlcarter wrote: »
    He was a shovel wielding fighter. Yes his first weapon was a plain old shovel "Garden Spade"
    You remind me of The Tick's battle cry.
    SPOOOON!

Or in your case,
    SPAAADE!
  • ciciphenix3ciciphenix3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    My very first table top character was a Halfling thief from the prepackaged first edition box our GM Elvis had (yes, I gamed with Elvis hehehe) back in the early nineties. Couldn't tell you what her name was, but the game evolved from the boxed dungeon adventure, and all the characters flew free in the world he created. (literally, they eventually got dragons to ride!)
    h501FBB42
    Let's split up! We can take more damage that way! ;)
  • ciciphenix3ciciphenix3 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    OMG...I wish I could click like on your comment! LOL SPOOOON!
    h501FBB42
    edited April 2013
    skeletun wrote: »
    Please keep these going. They are fun to read..

To add to it, here is my first AD&D character.

The GM and the group said I had to play a fighter. I wanted to be a Ranger or Bard but they said I had to play a fighter.
    So i created Peter the Powerful. He was a 16 year old fighter on his first adventure. Grew up in a small village where he was the biggest baddest warrior. He was cocky, He was Arrogant, He had a big sword, and He was lvl 1 in a group of lvl 4-5 characters. So he joined up with the group to help out with a local dungeon clearing. (Remember I said I didn't want to play a fighter)
    First door we come to..rogue check for traps. "I'm PETER THE POWERFUL..I FEAR NO TRAPS!!" Smash goes the door..(<font color="orange">HAMSTER</font>..no trap).
    further along we hear noises down the corridor. Rogue goes stealth to investigate and hears. "I'm PETER THE POWERFUL..FEAR ME Muaahhhhh!!!!" as he charges the next room.
    After that fight, the GM said you can't have a death wish. I explained The character was young, cocky inexperienced and thought he could take on the world...then I showed him his intelligence and wisdom (both less than 10) and he laughed.
    Basically Peter did a Leroy Jenkins on the entire dungeon (this was in 1991). I honeslty think the GM kept him alive to screw with the party because he was having a blast.
    After we left the dungeon, the party turned to Peter and said "This isn't working out..you gotta go". So I gave the Character sheet to the GM and rolled a Ranger. :D

Funny thing is that we kept hearing tales of this Peter guy doing heroic things all over. And the party kept getting asked if they knew him, and whats he like and stuff.

>< I laughed soo hard at this one! God, I'd love to rp with you one day!!! I think I could stomach your style! hehehe!
    h501FBB42
  • sirsaico01sirsaico01 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Ahh how the mind wanders through the mist of time, back to an easier, carefree existance of endless summer days and childhood companions....

My first character was an Elf in basic D&D, during the summer holidays of 1982, i was 10 years old and had just read The lord of the rings for the first time, so naturally he was called Legolas and adventured with my best friends Halfling called Bilbo (he prefered the Hobbit).

I remember, Legolas wore plate armour, carried a two handed sword and used a bow .... hey I was 10 !

We adventured all over landscapes made or should i say plagiarised from LotR by my best friends brother, who was 3 years older than us, saving defenceless villagers, dueling bandit kings and stealing treasure from corrupt merchants. It was the best time in my childhood. I was hooked and have been for life.

I have pretty much played pen and paper RPGs my entire life, although i now only GM, and still get together once a week, with some of my original group that i met at a RPG club in 1985. We have been lifelong friends, backpacked around the world together, been best men at eachothers weddings and now game with our children.

RPGs may be considered nerdy, and rightly so but they have introduced me to people that have been with me through thick and thin for almost 30 years, whom I proudly call Brother. Not many other hobbies can give you that.

Game on people and be proud to be a Nerd !
  • daxx360daxx360 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Oh man, my first ever table top character was a right grumpy old sod. He was a "retired" rebel in D6 Star Wars Second Edition - Revised and Expanded, and used the "outlaw" character template. After having lost the crew under his command he turned to drinking and gambling the remainder of his years away. That was until he ran into the rest of the party in a crappy rundown bar on a broken down space station in the middle of nowhere. It didn't take long before a blaster fight broke out between them and a imperial patrol, to which my guy just had to join in.

He ended up going on the run with the group and even converting a small room on their ship into his own distillery. He made a god awful concoction from the things he had lying around including battery acid and a small amount of star ship fuel. Thankfully my rolls were with me at the time and it was not lethal but any more than 5 mugs of the stuff and you would go blind. He managed to cut a deal with a Hutt and ended up making a tidy little profit on the side, while once again working for the rebels. I remember one night after having 4 mugs of his "Groggtm" he literally stumbled onto the groups undercover Jedi, who was treading dangerously close to the darkside, wandering cargo hold of the ship in a mock vader outfit. Long story short after a very short brawl and a hefty force push later there was a large Daxx shaped dent in one of the crates.

Sadly he ended up being sobered up and once more fighting properly for the rebels. Until a thermal detonator got him in a narrow corridor. But it was some good times, and he did manage to save the captured rebel pirates in doing so. So it ended up being a sacrifice of redemption for him.
  • xratasxratas Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 153 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    My first character was an assassin called Lunac. System was Rolemaster and it was somewhere in the late nineties. He is quite well rounded in his skills, his about 15 year old character sheet was still stored, so he'd be ready to continue his dark business when needed... : ) Too bad I seem to have forgotten most of his adventures and contacts after that.

He was wielding the traditional katana & wakizashi pair, a short bow, mix of poisons and a leather armor. I recall him having some twisted code of honour, that he'd prefer to take out his targets in a duel. Although evening the odds with poisons and other preparations before the fight in secrecy. Honor duels and fair fights were accepted part of society, so it helped getting away without serious problems too.

I still got soft spot for rogues that are well rounded between fighting, talking and sneaking, while balancing on the edge of laws; upholding them while fitting, and breaking them when not much risk of getting caught.
  • njgreen123456njgreen123456 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users Posts: 97
    edited April 2013
    First DnD character wow... that is a hard one to answer... In my group (and still this way today) I'm the DM... So to actually have my own characters is a rare thing. I only have a couple. I've created countless NPCs, monsters, and villains.. I guess my first character was a Halfling Rogue named Gaven Quickfingers. I played him for a long time in an on again off again game one of my old friends used to run. His character was the total self preservation type. If the party looked like it was gonna fall he'd try to barter his way out of the fight with gear he'd just so happened to not tell the party about that he picked up, or he'd say screw it and leave them to their fate. It happened on more then once occasion. Gaven sadly met a sad end, he met the blade of a bazerking Barbarian/Rogue Trog during the Age of Wyrms game. Funny enough he caused the party Cleric to die with him. Wasn't Gaven's style to go out alone.
  • thaliffthaliff Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 180 Bounty Hunter
    edited April 2013
    First character, I was handed a made out sheet and just started playing. I had no idea what was going on, my friends 13 yr old brother was DM. Don't remember the class, but if I had to guess, it was a fighter. Oddly enough I remember the name, Gordon.

By the end of the session, I was hooked! That was fall of 1978. Started begging my mom to take me to the local hobby store and get me the game set, few weeks later I had my summer lawn mowing money in hand and left the store with the box set, a stack of modules and AD&D players handbook, I read every single page back to front and back again. Soon after, Thelodas, half elf ranger was born. The rest, is history. Three editions, and multiple MMO's later, Thelo as he became known, still walks the worlds, whenever possible, bow in hand. His current incarnation is piloting ships in EVE, soon to be retired, for a fateful return to Faerun. Who knows...there may be a story or two for everyone to explore to understand just how much unknown influence he and his companions had on the workings of the world.
    On the other side of the screen, it all looks so easy.