test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Crashing after clicking play

kilrain78kilrain78 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
edited May 2013 in Bug Reports (PC)
This is for a friend of mine having trouble. After he clicks play the game flashes to the black loading screen real fast, probably a quarter second or less then crashes.

I've read the Teamviewer posts, he doesn't have that installed. It's basically a fresh install of Windows 8 and he hasn't installed anything else other than APB:Reloaded.

Anyone else having this issue or have some ideas?
Post edited by kilrain78 on

Comments

• laserducklaserduck Member Posts: 44 Cryptic Developer
    edited March 2013
    What is your friend's user name?
  • kilrain78kilrain78 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    He's afk, i'll get that as soon as he's back, few minutes.
  • slothslothslothsloth Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 7 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I log in with:

chargingsloth@yahoo.com

I have been able to get the game to run on safe mode but when the screen resolution is changed it crashes. I can not get the game to launch without safe mode. I have re installed three different times with the same result.

Please help!
    edited March 2013
    sorry for the copy post!
    edited March 2013
    The current version of the client can have some difficulties changing screen resolutions in fullscreen mode on some users' machines. We plan to have this fixed for the next beta test. In the meantime, if you think this is happening to you, you can switch to Windowed Maximized, and that might stop the crashes. Let me know if that doesn't work for you or you have any more questions.
  • unkagununkagun Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    I'm getting the same issue using lcnpaul to login

I can only get the Play button on the launcher after rebooting my PC...and once I click on Play I get the black cryptic screen that then CTD with a Fatal Error: error decompressing data. Verifying Files in the launcher may fix this issue.: Bin/Damagenames.Bin: (file attached)

Once I log into the launcher again it just stays on Patching until I reboot...I try force verifying option as well but once I reload the launcher its just stuck on the patching stage...I will try rebooting with force verifying ticked...bbs
    edited March 2013
    That doesn't sound like the same issue at all! :) You can probably find some better information about patching/launcher issues on the forum, or post your own thread. It's not something I can help with.
    edited March 2013
    I ran the game as administrator
    logged in
    lobby came up
    clicked play game and crashed

The only way the game will run is in safe mode @800x600

Is there anything I can do, Kilrain started this post for me.
    edited March 2013
    I will try to change with safe mode running!
    edited March 2013
    Crashed in safe mode while trying to change to windowed maximized, tried to log in again without safe mode and insta crashed. Is the 800x600 the best you think I can get until we get another patch?
    edited March 2013
    If that doesn't work, deleting GamePrefs.pref should restore ALL your default settings, including Windowed Maximized.
    edited March 2013
    I went and deleted game gameprefs.pref and now I am able to run game without safe mode. I still cannot change resolution and its stuck in 800x600 but maybe this will help with a fix.
    edited March 2013
    If you are in Windowed Maximized, you should not be in 800x600. You should be in a window that is the size of your monitor. 800x600 would look very cramped. I will have someone from our graphics team check out this thread tomorrow.
    edited March 2013
    Thanks for the help, I have no idea why it is stuck in 800x600 but I cant change it without a crash. When I delete the file and try again it defaults to 800x600 windowed mode. I get around this by checking full screen in the lobby options. At least now when I click the play button it will load the game and wont immediately crash.

Thanks again for the help and good luck with the game!
    edited March 2013
    We have determined that the client currently has an issue with Mumble - specifically the overlay, probably. You might get a better experience if you quit out of Mumble. This will also be fixed for the next beta.
  • daed76daed76 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    will this fix the crashing issue with steam overlay as well? also why doesn't the client stay in fullscreen? it always seems to revert to windowed maximized..
  • kilrain78kilrain78 Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Sloth hasn't been on but I can attest that disabling mumble overlay (still running mumble) I am now able to switch all graphics options without crashing.
  • vlaknhavlaknha Member, Neverwinter Beta Users Posts: 13 Arc User
    edited March 2013
    Well my game crashes after character screen. I get the message server is not responding. If i by chance get in the game i get the same message every two minutes or so and eventually get disconnected.
  • hithereyouhithereyou Moonstars, Neverwinter Beta Users, Cryptic Developers, Neverwinter Hero Users, Neverwinter Guardian Users, Neverwinter Founder's Pack Users Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    Slothsloth, can you send me your DXDIAG info? I'm working on (graphics) startup stability and settings.

Dave
  • smokecheebasmokecheeba Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    My game crashes after the second loading screen... (without any error message)

I know it's only beta, but people should learn from Perfect World how to not make games ;) after many months of testing bugs bugs and bugs...
  • skysavageskysavage Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited April 2013
    laserduck wrote: »
    That doesn't sound like the same issue at all! :) You can probably find some better information about patching/launcher issues on the forum, or post your own thread. It's not something I can help with.

This is the same problem. After the crash occurs the bug report program loads up but does NOT send anything. You can see it in the tray and no progress happening on the send. When you load the launcher again (after the crash) it does indeed get stuck on the patching process.

I looked in the task manager and saw that the GameClient.exe file and the CrypticError program were still both running even though I had no launcher winder open. Once I killed both processes via the Windows Task Manager I then ran the launcher again and it THEN got successfully past the "patching" phase. It seems you can't have two instances of the launcher going at once even if one of them is hidden.

Note, this still doesn't fix the crash. It just lets you hit play and the crash all over again.
  • br0gasbr0gas Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    That is the exact problem i have. Still haven't found any solution :(
  • aspanectaspanect Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    how about this one. get past the cryptic loading screen, then screen goes black and stays black forever. I have hdd activity, lots at first, then intermitent. happens in full screen and safe mode alike. I have been able to log in and play... last night.. after patching today this started. reinstalled multiple times. is an older machine but enough to meet the published requirements. anything i can try or do?
  • xchopsuey03xchopsuey03 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited May 2013
    i got the same problem here .... game crash just before cryptic loading and then error message pop up it says " Fatal error : error decompressing data. verifying files in the launcher may fix the issue.: Animation_Library/_Nw_Male02/Scale/Nw_Male_Scale_Human_preset_01.atrk

i click force verify file and flush my dns doesn't seem solve the problem